Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Leperflesh posted:

As an aside, if you're going to do a kickstarter pulling in a hundred grand or more, you should be limiting your liability by using appropriate business structures anyway. You'll have to spend some money on a lawyer but it's worth it.

Especially if there are multiple people involved in the project. There are so many ways for something to go sideways and having everything set out in contracts ahead of time will save everyone a ton of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I tend to agree with Kai Tave, while it's true that to most people "Roleplaying game" = D&D, it's also true that to those same people "Trading Card Game" = Magic, and trading card games are a much bigger industry (by an order of magnitude) both in terms of money made and number of players than RPGs. It's very likely that more people are actively playing magic in 2015 than have ever played any RPG at all.

If Magic hasn't already surpassed D&D as a cultural institution it will soon. D&D stays afloat by selling the same game to the same people who've been buying it for 35+ years, and those people are moving on or dying off. Magic stays afloat by bringing in fresh batch of new young fans year after year. If you ask a teenager today which one they are more familiar with, they'll say Magic.

What D&D needs to do is reinvent itself to go after those young fans, who are primed for something like roleplaying games like never before, but like Kai said that would be too anime/videogame/new-fangled for the old farts who keep buying new PHBs every five years.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Legit question, can you imagine Mark Rosewater doing something like this? Do you think if WotC or Hasbro got wind that the Magic team was going to reach out to a guy who spends his days writing rambling essays about Cultural Marxists and Social Justice Warriors and give him a handjob that they'd just be like "yeah sure, that's cool, whatever?" I mean I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who stripped a gear over Alesha, Who Smiles at Death that Rosewater has an embarrassment of riches to choose from! And yet somehow Magic doesn't seem super interested in reaching out to the deranged pipe-smoking fuckhead portion of their fanbase, it's almost as if one of these games is something their parent company cares about the image of while the other is stuck in a closet somewhere and left to their own devices because nobody, even in the wider brand-penetrated world, gives half as much of a poo poo about it.

What's crazy is that WotC has been terrified since day one of making the same mistakes with Magic that TSR did with D&D, that's why they are so conservative with Magic licensing deals, and there have been no movies, or cartoons. Despite that they're more than happy to make the same mistakes with D&D over and over again.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

If your explanation is what MSG was actually trying to say then I actually 100% agree with both him and you, that's been my point this entire time. The people with hobbies that are often touted as potential TRPG audiences already have hobbies that enable their desires to act, create stories, roleplay, whatever. Traditional tabletop roleplaying games have very little to offer them that they don't already have...they have communities and "network externalities" of their own, they have their own rules, they have their own social networks. "The desire to play pretend" may be widespread, but that doesn't actually correlate with "the desire to play a game like Dungeons & Dragons or WoD."

The thing is, every year there's a new crop of young people who want to make believe and haven't committed to one of the many different forms. Those are potential table-top roleplayers, but there are not a lot of games that cater to them and the types of make-believe they want to participate in. Monsterhearts is going in that direction, but it doesn't seem directed at a "new to roleplaying" audience. Where are the all-in-one-box teen-wizard RPGs? or the kitchen sink-high-fantasy-anime style rules-light RPGs?

Of course even if one of those games existed nobody would hear about it because D&D is the only voice to the outside world. You would need a company like WotC/Hasbro to commit to bringing such a thing about and to market the hell out of it.

EDIT: Actually, that reminds me, back during the 3.0 days, WotC had the license to, and made a full D20 Harry Potter RPG, it was aimed at young people as an introductory game, they were all set until they presented it to Rowling who shut it down because she didn't like the idea of anyone else creating stories in her world.

Asimo posted:

I've said it before, but Pondsmith was a genius designer and it's a goddamn shame he's basically left the industry.

Like a lot of good designers, he went off to make video games because that's where you can make a living.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 24, 2015

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

How would you go about monetizing a largely digital TTRPG? I think that success in the future for TTRPG is going to be more about a successful long term business plan than about the actual rules of the game.

Like lets say you have a core game book that introduces the game and how to play and then an app/website that acts as an updated reference.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The sad thing is, if they were just willing to accept that other games exist and are successful, and learn from them they could be a juggernaut on the scale of Magic.
Quality, balanced rules, with a robust organized play system and tournaments with cash prizes would drive player acquisition and retention, but they think all those other games are just fads and eventually everyone will come back to the model railroad gheto miniature game fold.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

DTRPG/One Book Shelf implemented an actual content policy after somebody published a game supplement about a rape tournament.

IMO it's a pretty reasonable and measured policy, but of course the poo poo-parade shows up to make it about themselves and how this is going to lead to them being censored because the world is out to get them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

E: Literally what Plague of Hats just said. ^^

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Also read "Advance payment for sales" in that publication. You can avoid paying taxes on revenue for kickstarter rewards if you use the right accounting method and deliver in a reasonable amount of time.

This. This is what our accountant introduced us to, it deferred our tax burden until after we delivered our product (which meant we didn't have to pay taxes before spending most our money). Like other people have said, incorporate as an LLC, and get an accountant who's knowledgeable about Kickstarters.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

As a friend of mine likes to say, "WotC has the very best software developers you can get for 40k/yr."

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

i really don't blame the artists for crappy art because the vast majority of RPG publishers pay so little. When you're paying poser prices, you should expect poser art.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Asimo posted:

These gamers are almost always lying, if maybe not consciously.

Yeah, good art sells a setting far better than any amount of text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

There is no way Harmony Gold negotiated a contract that doesn't have the rights revert to them if Palladium so much as sneezes funny, those guys are ridiculous control freaks concerning that license.

When Kevin got the licenses to both Robotech and TMNT, nobody had any idea what they were doing. They're likely the same type of stupidly good deals as the Star Fleet Battle guys have. That said there's no way Palladium would fetch even close to a million dollars, their original IPs are pretty crappy, their licenses are only for games and their reputation is crap. White Wolf just sold for 1.2M and it's got a lot more mainstream value behind it.

• Locked thread