Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Thanlis posted:

Yeah, that's what was in the back of my mind and I didn't double check my thoughts. Although I didn't think CCP was doing any of the funding, but now I'm not sure of myself.

CCP aren't doing any of the funding, Onyx Path is an independent entity that's run by Rich Thomas and is made up of freelancers from the old White Wolf writing crowd, with the licenses for tabletop games in the cWoD, nWoD, and Exalted. Oh, and fully owning the Trinity universe and Scion. Tabletop RPGs don't make anywhere near enough money for someone like CCP to dedicate full-time staff to, so going back to a more startup-sized organization has been massively helpful.

Part of the joy of shifting to PDF/POD is that we don't need Kickstarter to make a book happen — and can launch a KS when the book's actually written — but for deluxe editions and for a chance to add extra content via stretch goals it can come in very handy, as well as for getting the word out to people who (still) believe the "White Wolf Is Dead" bollocks. Not dead, just the same people in a different company who can run on a scale where making RPG books works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Maybe they thought Ninja Division would handle it.

:iceburn:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

My mind boggled that R. Tal still exist in any meaningful way. I know Mike's still around, but they've done nothing as a company for 10 years...

Cyberpunk 2030 10th Anniversary Edition, anyone? :v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

So I guess the question is, what would a DRM-enabled PDF alternative even look like?

PDFs can be encrusted with a form of DRM already, no need to gently caress with the format. DTRPG used to use it, way back in the early days (~2003/2004) before they borged RPGnow. It was total poo poo and I'm glad it died.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC their main developer committed murder-suicide.

Yup.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Foglet posted:

Entry 1: Hedgehog, The
(this is also the only entry)

Will the other book include "with a giraffe if you stand on a stool"?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Asimo posted:

Clue was the superior TG film. :colbert:

That's not fair, though. Every other TG film is a steaming pile.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

They want Dragonlance 5th Age, the version with the card deck that introduced the SAGA system.

That this will not lead to PDF availability for Marvel SAGA is a crime against humanity.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

On a whim, I looked at bestsellers on DTRPG. Turns out that the multi-Ennie-winning Red & Pleasant Land, the one that shows that the anti-skeleton bits of the OSR are a real force of nature taking over the RPG space, is an electrum bestseller on DTRPG.

BLACK SEVEN is also an electrum bestseller. I pretty much never advertise, don't submit to awards because they're all shitshows, and only tweet about it occasionally when a sale's on or something. I also don't have a fleet of human filth who hang on my every word to target my enemies and buy my stuff (that I know of).

Bwa-ha-ha-ha.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Looking at the "Hottest Titles" on the RPGNow page is usually a source of puzzlement for me, since it's relatively rare I recognize anything on it. "DRAGONLOCK MINIATURES: Lizardfolk Set 1" is #2 as an Electrum Seller. Must be a lot more 3D printing miniature gamers there than I would have guessed, or the bar is pretty low, or both.

Unfinished ended up being in the hottest titles for like a week because I got BoingBoinged. It's still only copper because fewer than X people have paid cash money for it (not that I can blame them, it's 150 loving words). I have a rough idea of where copper and silver's threshold is in terms of paid sales, but I wasn't paying attention to B7 when it went electrum so I have a gap in the data set.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Holy drat, someone still knows about Tom Swifties! :haw:

"Homosexual necrophilia is fun," Tom said in dead ernest.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Zak will also quote very old SA posts from conversations he wasn't a part of, and that weren't even about him, as evidence of the conspiracy against him. Because he's nuts.

No, he isn't. HJ, I don't want to pick on you specifically, but this is really pissing me off.

I'm a game designer, and I'm nuts.

Z is the kind of human being who should've been a stain in his dad's sock, someone who couldn't pass the Voight-Kampff test if he wrote the answers on his hand. Saying he's nuts is either excusing his behaviour as being something not under his control (when he hasn't claimed that), or implicitly sticking him in the same box as myself and others who, y'know, have developed coping mechanisms so that whatever affects us doesn't bleed out to affect other people and thus tarring us with the "could become like Z" brush.

So please, everyone, don't call him nuts or crazy or anything like that. He knows full well what he's doing, and is even more deserving of hate because of it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised that nobody's ever made, for example, a cyberpunk RPG where characters are entirely a product of their equipment...in a future where any part of your self can be carved away and replaced with something better, your natural traits and skills don't really matter that much, do they? It doesn't matter if your natural reflexes might be good compared to an unaugmented person when someone with the latest in superconducting nervewires can effortlessly run rings around you, and nobody cares what a good shot you are when expert marksmanship is an outpatient procedure you can get at any black market clinic.

I had a spare half-hour, so I made this. Give it a whirl, debug it, whatever. If people think it's worth it, I'll add in feedback, tidy it up, and stick it on DriveThru for a buck or two.

Meat is Murder
A cyberpunk roleplaying game where whoever has the best stuff wins

This is very unapologetically 80's cyberpunk --- cybernetics rather than gene-tailoring and poo poo like that. All money is in Euro, and all numbers are written in European notation; one hundred thousand Euro is €100.000,00 but nobody cares about cents. Cash is good. Stuff is better.

Conflict Resolution
Both participants in a conflict declare *what they want*. If they're in opposition --- one person wants something that would hurt, kill, or deprive another of *stuff*, you have a conflict.

If neither of you have tech, neither of you gets what you want. Stop being boring.

If one party has equipment with a trait that applies to the conflict and the other doesn't, the person who brought the gun to the knife fight wins. You bring meat, you *lose*. gently caress you. If you live, buy yourself better.

If both parties have equipment with appropriate traits, each one rolls 1d6 and adds +1 per ten thousand Euro. You get what you pay for. Yes, if someone has an €80.000 DaCri neuro-overclocker and the other has a €10.000 Atari cortical stimulator, the Atari user loses automatically. Again, tough poo poo. Buy more, buy better.

When you win a conflict, you get *what you want*.

When you lose a conflict, you don't get *what you want*. You can downgrade the severity of the consequences on you by deactivating a bit of tech. The GM decides how this works, but it's always an option if the only other choice is serious injury or death. You can't use de-activated tech at all.

In order to re-activate tech, describe how you fix it, and spend a quarter of its value in Euro to reactivate it (half-value if it's upgraded).

Character Creation
Make up a name, decide on a general personality, and a sense of what you can do --- what some other games call a concept.

You have €200.000 to spend on equipment. You can't spend more than €100.000 on any one thing. See the equipment section for how that works.

Nobody cares what your meat can do.

Equipment
Rather than providing a specific list of poo poo, this is how you make stuff.

• Each piece of equipment comes with one trait. Traits describe the kind of actions that the equipment can help with.
  • Determine a brand for your tech.
  • For every extra €20.000 you spend, determine one special feature --- a brand, a model name and number, a special customization, that kind of thing. While it won't help in conflicts, it can help with roleplaying.
  • When you get more money after a job, you can sell your old poo poo and buy new, or upgrade.
    [list=1]
  • If you sell, you get your street price back. You can, if you want, swap out the equipment's trait. If you've got a €20.000 Iwashita cyberarm, you can upgrade to a €30.000 Sarif Industries ChromeWear cyberarm.
  • If you upgrade, it costs twice as much but you add an extra trait. If you customize said €20.000 Iwashita cyberarm, it costs €20.000 to make the device worth €30.000 in total. It also costs half-value to fix, rather than quarter-value. You may have broader applicability, but it takes more work to fix.
[*]If you haven't customized your gear, each piece can only have one trait. To get more traits, you have to spend on new stuff.

Traits
These are shamelessly stolen from Technoir. Each has suggestions for cyberwear. You don't have to have it as cyberwear --- Detect could be a swarm of camera drones, while Fight could be a mono-edge knife. You have imagination. Use it.

• Coax: Influencing and manipulating people. Scanning micro-expressions and dumping pheromones into the air.
  • Detect: Notice details and track people. Milliwave radar and cybereyes.
  • Fight: Making people hurt up close. Martial arts skillwires, implanted arm-razors.
  • Hack: Defeating computer-based security and interact with technology. Cyberdecks, headjacks, and magnetic palm implants
  • Move: Being faster than other people. Cyberlegs, reflex stimulators.
  • Prowl: Get around without people seeing you. Thermoptic camoflage, electromagnetic scramblers
  • Shoot: Making people hurt from afar. Implanted submachine guns, smartgun palm-link.
  • Think: Be smarter than other people. Neuro-cognitive overclockers, internet smartlink.

Playing the Game
If you don't know how to play a roleplaying game, god help you because I sure won't.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Bakunin was right about Marx, friendo :anarchists:

"Storygaming's Kropotkin" would be a badass username.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I just meant the combination of the shamanistic training with being a supernaturally good singer and a badass sneaky warrior and basically anything else the story needed out of him.

At least until a baby trash-talks him so bad he decides to exile himself from Earth.

Väinämöinen is a 3E Bard. The baby is a 4E bard.

The Kalevala was written by a hardcore edition warrior.

:v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

PDQ Truth & Justice. PDQ is lightweight and not at all crunchy, and I've not found T&J to be broken.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's just ... carbs.

That's babby's first attempt at carbs. Macaroni pie crunch roll supper, that's carbs. Take the Scottish delicacy that is the macaroni pie (yes, mac-n-cheese in a pie), batter and deep-fry it, stick that in a buttered roll, and serve with chips.

"The UK" is a bunch of pansies who can't handle real carb overload hanging off the bottom of Scotland. :colbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

ShadowRun: Anarchy was Catalyst's attempt to cash in on the storygamey, rules-light "adjectives as stats" thing FATE was doing, and it really comes close. It has its faults, but having run it (and as a con game no less), I would never ever ever go back to any version of ShadowRun prime.

Anarchy is OK. A better idea would be making a new system for SR based on the player-facing bits of SR:Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong.

That's on my "one day..." pile, since I couldn't sell it but it's pretty much the only thing that would make me consider playing Shadowrun again.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

My thought: I want to train my punchman to be a better punchman, but manifesting that only through adding a +1 to my punchmanning stat sounds boring. Choosing between different techniques and abilities is way cooler, and gives more option variety.

I've been idly tinkering with a system vaguely based on the one used in Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

* A skill is either trained or untrained. If you're untrained, roll [stat -2]. If trained, roll [stat]
* Each "skill" has a bunch of special effects
* How good you are with a skill is based entirely on your number of SFX. 1 is trained, 3 is advanced, 5 is master. Some SFX require a specific level.
* Special effects have cool downs periods
* SFX aren't just "can do X better", they can also cover stuff like "incendiary ammo" or "modified grenade fuse".

So, for example

Punchman!
Unless stated, all Punchman! moves deal [Body] damage
* Trained Fighter: Add +1 to all Punchman! rolls (permanent)
* Punch Extra Hard: Deal +1 damage (cooldown 1)
* Punch Fast: Subtract 1 from enemy defence until their next action (cooldown 1)
* Head Punch: Opponent takes -1 to next action (cooldown 2)
* Organ punch (Advanced): Opponent takes 1 damage at start of their action for their next two turns (cooldown 3)
* Groin shot (Advanced): Opponent can't use SFX next action (cooldown 3)
* Brawler (Master): Subtract 1 from damage dealt to use 2 other Punchman! SFX on this strike (e.g. deal [Body -1] to apply Punch Fast and Head Punch)

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 29, 2017

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Desiden posted:

I'm kind of wondering what Onyx Path's take is going to be. Isn't Matt actual staff there, and not just a freelancer? At least with Morke, they were shot of him before any of this poo poo came to light.

Matt is a freelancer with OPP, not an employee.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

There is no ethical shitposting under market fragmentation.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue was that they used the material they supposedly never asked for anyways, and just didn't pay him for it?

No, OPP didn't use the work that wasn't paid for.

The Werewolf and Aeon stuff is because of pay-on-publication — half is paid on final draft, half on the book's publication. Which sucks, but is how contracts for WW/CCP/OPP have been since the very first, and is very common among other publishers in the industry as well.

Pay on pub sucks because delays happen, sometimes really loving long delays (and the two complaining are hardly innocent). Delays suck balls. But pay-on-publication is something that everyone involved in an OPP book goes into eyes-open.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, that stuff got added but pretty clearly by White Wolf, considering the poo poo they’ve been up to, and not by Rose Bailey or Rich Thomas, or... I don’t know who else is an actual OP employee these days. Neall?

It was White Wolf who put it in.

I know because I developed the book, I got their edits, and if I hadn't accepted their changes I (and possibly the other authors, Holden and David included) would not have been paid.

But expecting Holden not to fling poo poo around as a smokescreen for his ongoing enabling of Mørke is like expecting a dog to meow.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

That's some bullshit right there. Although yeah the Holden thing remains at him throwing tantrums.

I'd got the first half of the payment, but if I did not see the book through to publication, I'd be in breach of contract. Pay on publication, after all.

The authors would still have been paid, as their work would probably still have been included in the book. I was catastrophising.

To be bluntly honest, I poured a lot of my heart and soul into WTA, then the Shattered Dreams sidebar happened, and then I got their edits to Changing Ways. At that point, I'm just going to get the book out with the changes that the property owners want, because they've demonstrated their opinion of my work so far.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 3, 2018

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Note that so far that we know of only two of the W20 books have gotten meddled with, Shattered Dreams and the most recent one who's name escapes me at the moment.

The previous W20 books have been fine. SO feel free to pick up the W20 books and just ignore anything that looks out of place because it probably is.

Changing Ways was the one that nuWW added a bunch of stuff into. Shattered Dreams got a half-page sidebar inserted, but was otherwise unchanged (as the text had already gone to backers as part of the Kickstarter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Let me clarify something from the earlier post because I was writing in pre-third-espresso mode:

Nobody told/suggested/intimated/hinted or otherwise gave me any indication that I wouldn't be paid for not implementing changes.

It was something that was a pressing concern in my own head, for a bunch of reasons — guilt over the humongous delays I'd caused being a major one — but it was not anything another human being had raised.

Oh, and since I know Holden's reading the thread: Stop covering for your abuser friend you worthless shitstain.

• Locked thread