Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but I've always seen Kickstarter as the same thing as NPR or PBS fundraisers. You're donating money to continue an organization or service that you like, but also to get certain swag. You might not want a tote bag, but you might pledge for a Ken Burns DVD collection or New York Symphony recording. Nobody thinks that a pledge reward from PBS is an actual purchase. The thing that's confusing about Kickstarter, though, is that while you're paying more than market price for the Ken Burns collection, you're often getting Kickstarter rewards at a discount. Because of that, people are going to treat Kickstarter as an alternate purchasing venue rather than a donation platform.

I'm pretty sure PBS and NPR are still legally required to actually follow through on their promised rewards, but then again, they're in no danger of not coming up with tote bags. If you're relying on Kickstarter for getting rewards, you should be aware of the risks. Donations are always kind of a risk though, since there's no guarantee that just because you've donated money they'll still have the budget to continue whatever you're interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread