Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Bieeardo posted:

Oh, yeah. It would have been '85 or '86, but the local TRU had an entire book display for D&D stuff, ten feet by six feet if it was an inch, filled with all kinds of BECMI and AD&D modules and related stuff. In another aisle they had Colorforms and Shrinky-Dinks of semi-iconic figures and monsters (not from the cartoon, oddly), humanoid and monster figures with sword-swingin' action built to a slightly beefier scale than He-Man, and D&D candy with statblocks on the back of the box up at the register.

I don't know how much of it sold, but someone in the back office thought it was worthy of an aisle next to the Cabbage Patch Kids.

That sounds awesome. I want to go back to that time. (I was 5-6 at the time, a little bit too young perhaps. 8-10 year old me if I was actually allowed to play D&D would have lost his mind).

Toph Bei Fong posted:

They might could pull if off, if they ever get the movie rights untangled. Hasbro certainly wants them badly, that's for sure.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2015/02/meanwhile-over-in-battle-for-d-film.html

"Hasbro contends that the contract does not include cheap-arse straight-to-TV/DVD projects possibly made for the sole purposes of holding onto the rights."
Worked for the Fantastic Four licence .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

10 years ago, I'd think it's interesting it's set in the forgotten realms (Never-winter Nights was a pretty good game), but since it became the default setting, it seems to have been generalized a bit (at least from what I'm reading in Wikipedia, I've played very little 5e).

Someone else had a great idea: A dark sun setting movie and shamelessly knock of Fury Road.
I replied no. First they knock off thunder-dome. :)
"Who runs Altaruk town?"
sighs "Leader Bleeder runs Altaruk town"

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 27, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

TheTatteredKing posted:

I wonder if they just end up outsourcing the main game eventually.
DND, a ffg game, a wizards game, a Hasbro game.

Why keep people on staff? Just one and done some books.

Now you got me imagining a D&D setting game with the Edge of the Empire mechanics. It'd be weird (since no more D20s) but could be interesting.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

homullus posted:

I saw the preview for Warcraft before the new Star War. I doubt I'd go see it in the theater (since I hardly see anything in the theater), but yeah . . . looked acceptable, if that makes sense. World of Warcraft art direction is generally pretty neat. Nothing was cringe-worthy in the trailer I saw. I didn't realize people thought it looked terrible, actually.

I'm the same with movie going and had the same impression. Though, I think I'm weary becauise video game movies in general suck, and trailers can be very decieving. That might where some of the negativity towards the movie is coming from.

I might check it out on DVD rental/Netflix if I hear it's good.

I can't think of any good/decent movies based on video games, except in a "so bad their good" way. I guess I hear the Silent Hill movie was good, but I know little about it, and I've only played very little of the games.

And I mean based on a specific franchise. Wreck it Ralph (which is great) hardly counts , that has cameos from actual VG characters

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Anti-Competitive, because they are offering a product cheaper than other people? I'm pretty sure that's the definition of being "competitive".

E: At the same time, I can understand why PP is doing this, and it's their right.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I saw that, and couldn't help but think that this is going to lead to Roll20 monetizing playing D&D in some way. I'm not sure how they would, and maybe that's unfair to WotC. Their not GW, but I vaguely remember them doing stuff crappy in the past in this vein.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

(Wrong topic. Oops)

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 3, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Haystack posted:

Serious question: What are some crunchy games/systems that you all think of when you think "good crunchy game," and why?

For instance, I'm always really impressed by how well Ars Magica's rules work to flesh out its core themes. I'm sure it mechanically breaks down here and there, but I feel like that doesn't matter because the book makes it abundantly clear what the spirit of the game is.

13th age. I love 13th age. I feel like it has a lot of the best elements of 4e and 3.5ed. It has plenty of crunch in terms of character abilities, but keeps it light with the neat narrative "one unique thing" and backgrounds systems (instead of ranked skills). The escalation mechanic is brilliant. It also seems to have pretty tight balancing, and all around good/interesting monster designs with giving monsters interesting different things they do a focus.

I ran a weird west reskin on SA that was pretty fun.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I can't remember if Kingdom death was being mentioned here, or another thread, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3VzOayLcYs

Yeah, I wasn't really interested before. This just confirms all the more. This weird sort of over the top dark style just feels like trying to pander off the Souls game popularity, adding a weird grossness to it (punching off a lion's dick, is this supposed to be funny? The typical lack of clothes in art).

The game just looks to be unfairly random too (though, the review of combat isn't super indeph, maybe it's unintentionally misrepresenting it). If it is, then it seems to miss the point of dark souls, which is tough but fair.

I backed the Dark Souls game, and I'll see if that's any good.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Bruceski posted:

One's a review of the game, the other's a play session of the game. They're different beasts.

Yeah. I agree that the review is a bit sparatic, but I think it's mostly due to how big the game is, and how little they can really say without spoiling it.

I guess I wasn't trying to say that KD:M is bad, just that it's not something I'm interested in at all.

If I were going to play a sort of board-game style roleplaying thing (and there are a ton of them), I'd want something less involved than a RPG (and there's lots, like Super Dungeon Explore, Catacombs or Mice and Mystics[*]) Heck, as I said, even Dark Souls looks to be pretty dense but still MUCH lighter in terms of number of cards (holy crap does KD:M have a lot of cards) and do dads (I might be wrong, it's not out yet).

If I was going to play a full RPG experience, i'd rather just play 13th age, or FATE or a more light game like a Apocalypse RPG.

[*}I admit, I've only gotten a chance to play the first once, and I haven't played that last one, but looks fairly light, and I've been wanting to try it

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Back when I was playing D&D 3.5, I believe it was for my group roll 4D6 six times, and you can assign to each stat as you like. I think 1s were re-rolled as well.

You were allowed to re-roll the whole batch, but I think you could only go back to the last roll set.

I don't remember if there was a set limit of number of batches you could roll.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Tales from the Loop cleaned up at the Ennies which is awesome, because Tales from the Loop is awesome.

Any game based on this guys art had to do well.

http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

At first, I thought someone made a Miss Peregrine's series RPG. It looks more like stranger things, which still sounds really cool.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

theironjef posted:

Hmm okay yes roll a d20 to vomit cornflakes.

Snape is secretly the Cornflakes Hormunculus?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

For "Challangers to D&D" I might have brought it up, but I can't sing the praises enough of 13th Age. I love the system. It has the crunch of D&D, but streamlined and has a lot of great new mechanics:
* Escalation which speeds up combat (it progressively adds more to players' attacks and can unlock abilities, sometimes even for monsters)
* The icon system which lets you tie in faction affiliations for interesting things possibly happening each session
* A background based skill system (instead of clunky list of skills you get a few backgrounds you can use for any skill, as long as you can justify it working with what you want to do)

I've GMed a campaign for a long time set in the Fantasy Flight "spellslinger" setting (with some fellow SA goons), and that was a blast, and I'm currently doing one in a world based on Nausicaa valley of the wind in RL

I also really love freeform RPing. I've done some on various forums like Nanowrimo, Nationstates and over Dischord that have turned out pretty well.

Plutonis posted:

Freeform is badass but no one here has the balls to run one

I tried to run some here, but they never got off the ground (couldn't get interest). I'm always up to do some freeform RPing. If people are interested, PM me.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, again, not saying "freeform with a character sheet" is bad in any way.

Also, another thing that tends to go ignored here is how much social media has changed and shaped how a lot of people interact with games. To go off my own previous mention: there are a lot of people who do their own weird RP tumblr accounts of their Fallen London character. I'm not even sure where that ranks - it's freeform, but it's also incredibly passive. What used to be just writing as fanfiction or even before that writing it to yourself, now you can make your weird Skyrim character or whatever a full drat social media account. And that's super rad!
I recently made two tumbler accounts for characters from a story I'd been trying to write, and I've been having them bantoring a bit, though I need to be less lazy and post more on them. I'd love to have other people eventually other people to interact with the accounts.

Starting a new tumblr account is actually a bit of a pain since you need to have an individual e-mail for each one.

I've seen some pretty great ones, like a dwarf fortress character, and the one for Ernst Blofeld (from the James Bond films) is pretty great.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Most of the people who jumped on the "4E = dumb MMO video game WoW for babbies" bandwagon were people who'd never played any edition of D&D other than 3.x, though. AD&D grogs had already refused to go to 3.x, and weren't involved in the 3.x > 4E transition.

WotC staff aside, obviously. :v:
3.5x actually was my original system, and while I have some nostalgia for it because it was my first, I think 4E is the superior system, because it's more MMO-like in how it's streamlined. I've played a little of 5E and it seems good too.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Harmonquest uses fuckin Pathfinder. Life finds a way.

They do? Do they ever say what system they used? I've only seen season 1. Whatever their using it's a weird home-brew since only the GM rolls, which I thought was weird, but I'm guessing it's because it's partially a live thing and they want to keep things moving quickly.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Idran posted:

Try using email modifiers. If your email is "foolster41@gmail.com", for example, then "foolster41+test@gmail.com" gets accepted as a different email address by basically all websites, but it's part of the email protocol that anything after the plus sign gets ignored for where to direct an email to so it still gets sent to the original address. Not a bug or anything either; an explicit feature in email back when it was first implemented, just one most people don't know about.

It's meant for things like keeping track of who picked up your email from where, to have a unique email address for different places without needing to mess with email forwarding, but I've used it for stuff like what you're doing myself too and it works fine.

I looked into that, and read somewhere that it doesn't work. It's possible their wrong anyway. too late since I just set up new emails for them already anyway.,

E: It was this on Quora

quote:

Mayank Makwana
Answered Mar 1, 2017

Do not TRY . DOT google account trick, I repeat DO NOT TRY THAT,
I made 50 tumblrs from 2 different google accounts, 25 tumblr each from single google account,
they terminated 48 tumblrs leaving 2 tumblrs both were registered under original google account. you can try google dot trick anywhere else. you can make more tumblrs within your account, or try mail.com. you need nothing to create email account there.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

You mean James Ernest's Totally Renamed Spy Game? :cheeky: I only played Doctor Lucky, myself, and while it was fun at the time I'm given to understand that the recent artsy updated version clears up some of the wonky issues.

I actually got to talk to James Ernest at a convention last year, he was doing classes on game design at ETX over in Tacoma, WA.

• Locked thread