Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Verdugo posted:

I must disagree. Kickstarter is a horrible preorder tool, because at it's core, Kickstarter is not a store.

I must disagree. Kickstarter is precisely a store, and moreover, a store where I can get things I can't get anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Well, Matt Yglesias calling someone a fool is pretty much an expert opinion right there.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

So another thing w/r/t 2e: in my experience, the fiercest edition wars concerning it have happened in retrospect. It's something you only see in particularly crusty forums, but some people resent what they see as TSR "chasing" White Wolf and their ilk with a new emphasis on "story" in the PHB rules and in the campaign settings they published. Also, people just hate Lorraine Williams for a lot of reasons both real and imagined.

By the by, did anybody here have the 1991 Black Box as their first D&D? It was technically a Basic product, but since Basic had its last gap in the form of the Rules Cyclopedia the same year, it was obviously meant to feed into buying AD&D2e stuff.

My first D&D was BECMI and to this day AD&D players confuse me.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

By willingly playing it, mainly.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Now, looking back with an eye to things like game design, complexity, balance, etc., BECMI is unquestionably the better ruleset. But back then, before the Web, the idea of evaluating a game's rules and being critical of them just hadn't occurred to us.

Oh, I meant nowadays; back when they were new products, sure, there just wasn't that kind of evaluation mindset around.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

I dig all the art for classic RPGs like Runequest and Call of Cthulhu that sprung out of the Japanese tabletop scene, like seeing anime Glorantha is pretty rad.

Also is the joke that that person is you?

Since it's translating English-language indies into Japanese, it's more of a Reverse Ewen situation, which in my imagination comes with a goatee and a font of endless malice.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Much more to the point, nobody makes any money because there is a glut of people willing to work for free or even spend money just to get their work published at a loss. If gamers had to pay more in order to get anything at all, the general expectation of what an RPG costs would rise, and it might become possible to make a comfortable living being a RPG maker. As it is, there are probably fewer than 50 full-time jobs as RPG makers in the entire world, and that is ridiculous. And most of those jobs pay crap compared to what a decent writer could make in another industry.

I'm a technical writer. Granted my experience is in software and that's where the value is, but anyone graduating from my degree program would expect a starting salary in the $60k range these days. That's likely more than what most of those ~50ish senior level game writers make after a decade or more of experience and a well-respected portfolio.

Among the reasons I loved 4E is because it's the only RPG book line in years that seemed to have even heard of the concept of technical writing as a discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Wild Talents isn't exactly lightweight in terms of chargen, but it's certainly no Heroes/Champions, and most of the hassle is frontloaded at chargen instead of in play. For less specificity and more high drama/low comedy, Better Angels, also by Stolze, lets you play cackling supervillians with a legit in-universe reason behind grandiose, fragile, easily foiled megaplans: Your powers are granted to you by a fickle, easily bored demon, and if you don't go out there and commit dumb plans to keep the demon amused, they'll go find someone else. Someone who might be less interested in distracting the demon with tinfoil-shiny 'evil' and with fewer qualms about delivering the for-real miserable evil.

• Locked thread