Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

MalcolmSheppard posted:

When it nets six figures in preorders in the RPG industry, it is not horrible, even if it's bad at e-commerce functions. On the other hand, large companies are going to use it for major releases only, not for every sub-200 page sourcebook.

My estimates indicate it's a lot closer to, if not at, seven figures - and that's not including board games or miniatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

All of this raises the larger question, which is "why do people care so much if Kickstarter is a store or not?"

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

What do typical contracts look like for fulfillment houses? I assume it's basically a per-item fee, but is there a setup cost or anything else?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I think a great deal of confusion arises from the fact that RPGs have traditionally blurred the line between what you might deem "acceptable violence" and "wanton destruction and looting." A lot of people point to D&D as an example of this (and, to be fair, it totally is), but RPGs have been traditionally structured around violence, things that are related to violence, and rewards you might get from doing violence. The traditional D&D "dungeon and town" setting is philosophically troubling for a lot of reasons.

It comes from the wargame roots, really. A wargame is, at its heart, simulating something incredibly horrific. War isn't nice, no matter how you cut it, and the blase way in which casualties and damage is dealt could be seen as equally troubling. It's so much a part of our gaming culture that Golden Sky Stories reads almost as a postmodern critique of RPGs.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

One of the absolute most difficult and problematic aspects of writing satire is that good satire can get too close to what it's satirizing. Rather than poking fun, it becomes just another example of what it's trying to satirize. Bad satire just wallows in it.

This is where the differing critiques of Lolita arise from.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

jivjov posted:

The problem with this analogy is that in this case, the game is not being forced on you. The creators are not coming to your house, sitting you down, and making you play the game.

Nobody is forcibly "taking a poo poo on your carpet".

Okay, fine, but they are marketing "hey, pay for lunch and we'll come poo poo on your carpet!"

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Welcome to the hundreds of years of rape culture!

Yeah, I agree.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Clearly, the rational response is to write a D&D adventure where you go around killing a bunch of rape-justifying goblins and orcs who like awful games, led by the lich Ditpun and a huge troll named Frank.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

Honestly I don't know how Alien Rope Burn missed it because I know rape is mentioned in the core rulebook. Its not called that but the euphemism "often not the result of a loving union" certainly can only mean one thing.

Perhaps Orc culture encourages friends-with-benefits relationships, especially with other races?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

For those of you who remember the Desberough/Sprange debacle, this is Mikan making the opposite choice. Instead of doubling down, he's professionally cutting ties.

I know (and work with) people who work with Sprange. I wouldn't be associated with him, professionally, but it doesn't bother me that my author works for him on non-awful projects. If Doc were to pick up Slayer's Guide to Trannies and Perverts, then we'd need to have a discussion. I have enough bad going on with Nightfall without picking up that kind of baggage. Likewise, I generally look down on people who engage or even like the Foglios, because they are pretty awful people.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

homullus posted:

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, how would he even know whether you made $2000? And doesn't the license agreement just say "you know what you have to do, it's the thing to do"? If your Numenera thing really is flying off the shelves and you're really getting close to that kind of money, you probably SHOULD contact him, to get more cross-promotion or (maybe even) some help/work from Monte later.

I can just about guarantee you that his contract states that you have to provide sales figures. If it doesn't, then yes, you could skirt under this.

The real issue is that he won't post the contract online, so we can't determine what the terms are. I imagine it's something along the lines of "If net sales of the Product exceed $2000, this agreement will be held null and void thirty days from that date. The Licensee must contact Monte Cook Games in order to negotiate a Professional contract" and then a definition of net sales that excludes things like sales fees.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I would like to remind everyone that Zack Smith does not just insult people. He actively encourages his minions to doxx the objects of his ire up to and including photos of one's place of residence and threatening phone calls. There is no loving grey area here. He is a disgusting mockery of a human being and no one should be patronized or corrected for opposing him no matter the language used.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

David Hill still gets harassing emails, despite not only leaving the RPG industry but also blocking Zak on every single social media outlet imaginable and telling Zak in no uncertain terms to leave him and his family alone.

Zak just dregs up years-old poo poo on people whenever he's bored, or when he's got another book to shill.

I filed two (2) police reports because random strangers from the internet contacted me to inform me where I live (always accompanied by a number of offensive slurs) and what I deserved. I deleted my tumblr and twitter (and even my Facebook for a while) because I could not deal with the internet invading my family's life. Zak Smith has perfect plausible deniability: he deleted the post we argued on and (so far as I know) none of them were *actually* Zak.

The worst part is that none of this compares with what happened to Mikan. I feel so bad for her.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Someone should do a TG Contest where you have to make an RPG based on a title (or concept) someone else gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

- A blanket exclusion of board games, card games, and war games is also a dumb idea given that they make up at least 2/3 of the traffic to this forum.

- The "Groggies" is not only a loving dumb name, it will trigger resentment from the gaming community. As much as grogs.txt was a thing, no one likes being called a grognard.

• Locked thread