Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mors Rattus posted:

You do know they've been releasing stuff regularly, significantly more so than, say, Shadowrun, right?

Yeah, but it's mostly retroclones of their own products at this point.

Shadowrun is its own can of worms, though. Catalyst Game Labs are loving horrible.

Most recently they did a reprint of Street Grimoire, one of the primary magic books for SR5, that was supposed to have new cover art and be updated with the errata to date (which is current as of 2014). As usual for Catalyst, they somehow managed to gently caress up at such a fundamental level that none of the errata made it into the reprint. Cover change did, though!

I honestly cannot wait for Topps, the holders of the actual SR license, to get it back and go looking for another publisher, because Catalyst's handling of the brand has been flatly incompetent for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

As a kid, I LOVED the Cyberpunk Chromebooks. Never mind that they were just big lists of gear and mods and items, there was something really cool about them, or at least there was in the far past of the 90s. I feel like cyberpunk, as a genre, lends itself to that kind of equipment fetishisation (sometimes literally) in a way that pulp adventure like Star Wars doesn't.

The ones that are written in-universe are awesome like that. Shadowrun is the groggiest of grog when it comes to pointlessly over-detailed gear lists (especially in the more modern editions where there is a clear Best Option in most things), but I dearly loved the early edition Street Samurai Catalog. The whole thing is written in-universe as a stolen corporate arms dealer's catalog posted to a neo-anarchist computer forum, with page-sized illustrations of gear and and ad copy, followed by a bunch of hacked-in comments where the posters comment on the gear's place in the world or drop plot hooks.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 8, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Haystack posted:

Serious question: What are some crunchy games/systems that you all think of when you think "good crunchy game," and why?

For instance, I'm always really impressed by how well Ars Magica's rules work to flesh out its core themes. I'm sure it mechanically breaks down here and there, but I feel like that doesn't matter because the book makes it abundantly clear what the spirit of the game is.

Shadowrun 2nd Edition, before the magic creep got too bad, is both crunchy and a legitimately pretty good game.

I've enjoyed games of GURPS, BESM, and even the old Iron Crown Middle-Earth Roleplaying Game (which is thankfully more streamlined than Rolemaster, the Game of Charts).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

I think that's the one I had that and if I remember correctly, it really tried to sell you Rolemaster, though. A lot of "this is what you can do with this game, but in Rolemaster you could do so much more...". Also "more streamlined than the Game of Charts" is deceptive since that book still had more than enough charts.

Oh, yes. But it caught me at an impressionable time with a really good GM, so I had a lot of fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zurui posted:

I know y'all are joking but this sounds like a legitimately good idea under the right leadership.

Also it should have a Razzie.

The Games Workshop Memorial Award For True Awfulness

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JackMann posted:

Basically, there are a lot of publishers who drastically underpay their artists and writers. Sometimes, they'll delay or even forego payment entirely because there are writers and artists who will want to contribute just to feel like they're a part of the industry, and to see their name in the book.

For example, see Catalyst Game Labs, who decided letting one of their execs get away with massive embezzlement for home improvement was better than paying freelancers, some of whom had been writing Shadowrun for 20+ years by that point, for work that was already in and ready to go to the printers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arivia posted:

Considering that Hasbro largely deals with pop culture stuff at their licensing level, if they were involved in any way it wouldn't be a surprise for them to just treat D&D as equivalent to Sorry or Trouble or whatever. Just another easy conversion for the licensee and we collect the money, right?

Honestly, I could write this off to Hasbro being Hasbro. They are a pop culture toy company... that is reliably a couple years behind their own trends when it comes to merchandising for anything but movies. Let's be honest, they probably only even bother to keep WotC around because Magic is a surefire recipe to turn cardboard into gold.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It makes sense, but I wouldn't make any large bets on it happening. Irrationality in this market is a norm, see also how FF lost the 40k license.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I thought there were writers who confirmed they were in the middle of the next 40k RPG books when the rights were dropped.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I daresay PF is still a better product than 5e.

I mean, that's damning with faint praise, but the Beginner Box is a fine introduction to the game with some nice production value, and there's a difference between "uninteresting design" and "lazy design", of which PF is guilty of the former.

PF has such a terrible state of splatbook sprawl and power creep that it's essentially unplayable without the GM setting specific limits as to what content can be used. It's approaching Rifts, as each new sourcebook tends to have feats that are straight upgrades from previously published work.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Piell posted:

A thing said by someone who doesn't understand D&D 3.5 or pathfinder. A lot of the most powerful stuff is core.

Pfft. I take it you never did the math on 3.5 Warlocks or PF's Witches, then.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

"Pathfinder is actually good"

- Goons, somehow, in early 2017

I can only assume they have never, ever tried to play it with anyone outside of a carefully curated gaming group that would be fine in pretty much any system.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Piell posted:

Holy loving poo poo you think 3.5 Warlocks are good

No, I think they're terrible, but they have an edge case (low level 24hr duration flight plus infinite ray attacks) that can really let a player who wants to be a dick obsolete the party for a while.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

You can buy Magic cards in nearly any store that caters to children. Magic has organized tournament play with professional standards. Magic advertises in comic books and on websites popular with their target demographic. Magic has a sustainable business model based on selling ever more cards.

In order for a tradgame to do the same you'd have to completely rework a game from the ground up to allow these things. Maybe a focus on the zine format over cards, although Gamma World did cards well.

Edit: They really should bring back tournament modules. When you play them as intended they're great fun.

Magic is in Walmarts and Targets, they know exactly who they're selling to, and they've basically slotted right into the niche that used to be baseball cards.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Magic is made by people who can actually design worth a drat" is the salient point.

Or at least, it should be. 4e got lambasted for being well-designed, and 5e is drawing a crowd in spite of... well, not.

I honestly think 4e would have done better without the D&D name on it.

I didn't really enjoy playing it, but I could see it being a much more accepted game if it wasn't trying to deal with a rules-as-worldbuilding universe like the D&D world.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

slap me and kiss me posted:

Is there actually a difference in the minis between editions/versions of 40k (like obviously yes between the first iteration and now, but what about between two subsequent editions)?

gently caress no. There's still sculpts from the 1990's that are the latest most up to date sculpt for some units, and even the 'recent' refresh on the Orks I just put together is dated 2005.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

slap me and kiss me posted:

I'm confused. How do your models age out then? Or am I just not understanding the crazy that is mini games?

They don't. If I could find the orks I painted up back in 1998, they'd probably still be a field-legal army (that looks like poo poo, because the old sculpts weren't great and teenage me was even worse as a painter than I am now). The rotation for minis games isn't really the minis, it's the players. People get tired of one army and buy into a different one, or apathetically wander out of the hobby and just have a couple grand in minis in boxes in a closet somewhere. Maybe if they're quitting on purpose they put it up on ebay at a huge loss.

For GW specifically, every few years a new edition of rules will come out, at $140 or so for the books you need to run a single army and generally changes the balance around to further nerf Tyranids and so you have to go buy new models to be competitive in tourneys unless you're playing space marines.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 1, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

He is a salty Sci-Fi dude. The movement to stuff the ballot box for the Hugos because something something not enough manly rayguns and rocketships and too many minorities wasn't spearheaded by Day but he was quick to jump onto it and much like how several other thoroughly lovely activist movements in recent memory started out as something (somewhat, maybe, vaguely) less repugnant before being hollowed out and worn like a skin-suit by the hardcore assholes, the originators of the movement made the most insignificant, low-effort attempt to distance themselves from him as they could because they cared more about getting what they wanted out of the Hugos than undermining their efforts by taking an actually principled stand.

He is the salty Sci-Fi dude. The only author ever to be expelled from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (their professional organization) for posting the following of fellow SFWA author N. K. Jemisin from the shared SFWA authorial twitter :

"…it is not that I, and others, do not view [Jemisin] as human, (although genetic science presently suggests that we are not equally homo sapiens sapiens), it is that we simply do not view her as being fully civilized for the obvious historical reason that she is not."

Jemsin is, as you probably assumed, a black woman. Vox also has a charming habit of calling John Scalzi a rapist at every opportunity.

His whole screed is here, if for some reason you really feel the need to read a couple thousand words of an openly racist, misogynist, libertarian rambling about bullshit.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 1, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zurui posted:

:stare:

:catstare:

:fuckoff:

gently caress that ACKS guy though. "Yeah, I mean, he paid for it. The ~free market~ has spoken."

The even more hilarious part is that rape accusation is purestrain autistic gold. It's all based on this satirical blogpost written to criticize archconservative social positions.

Vox justifies this in his inimitable style:

quote:

Wait, he claims his confession is satire? Well, that might fool anyone unfamiliar with the concept of blown cover as cover. But even if we were to take him at his word to not take him at his word, where is the satire? Satire is supposed to be ironic, but where is the irony? What is being exaggerated? Given that a) one-third of all forcible rapists are black, and, b) blacks heavily support the Democratic party while whites are fairly evenly split, the statistics indicate that it is very nearly twice as likely a rapist would be inclined to write a fan letter to a Democratic politician rather than to a conservative Republican politician.

Associated idiots have even gone so far as to self-publish a since-removed book on Amazon entitled "John Scalzi Is A Rapist : Why SJWs Always Lie In Bed Waiting For His Gentle Touch" under the guise of 'just asking questions' and 'I can't prove he's not a rapist...'

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

I have an actual diagnose for an autism spectrum disorder and could you please not. :shobon:

Sorry, don't mean to be offensive, but it was the best term that fit for aggressively taking something completely literally and out of context. I'll watch my language better in the future.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Some naval warships, if they fire enough cannon at once, can be moved by the recoil. I have no idea if the Missouri was actually one of them, but yeah, that's how you drift a battleship. That movie was loving nuts and to this day I'm still not sure how it got made.

Much like how the D&D movie with Jeremy Irons, a Wayans, and no actual D&D settings got greenlit.

edit: Holy poo poo that scene was actually dumber than I remembered.

Given that the Mighty Mo is one of the Iowa class BBs, it's a 57,000 ton ship. The guns don't recoil -that- hard.

Barudak posted:

A Rust Monster makes perfect sense in a game where every room has piles of random weapons and chances for good stuff and swapping between weapons is negligible penalties or loss of a small neat benefit. In a game where your character must be built around specific gear and getting new gear is intended to be difficult, its extremely rude.

For realism they should introduce a spell slot monster that permanently removes a random spell slot of a random level on touch. It obviously does nothing to martials.

IIRC that used to be a thing Mind Flayers did, back in the day.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 12, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Incidentally, there's a connection here. There are a lot fewer people crying out for the chance to be published technical writing editors just to see their name in print, and for-serious editors are going to cost you multiple thousands of dollars, which in a lot of cases means an editor would stand to make more money off the book than the person who wrote it.

Thus, most books either go unedited or have a low-level editor who's closer to a proofreader-slash-beta-reader.

Because technical writers know something game designers and writers don't: They can get paid to use those skills elsewhere, and "gently caress YOU PAY ME" is not unreasonable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Mongrelmen should combine the best traits of humans, elves, and dwarves, with short, muscular builds, beautiful features and a connection to nature, and really good distance running skills, and also be despised by all the major cultural powers for being half-breeds.

Hobbits, then?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

blastron posted:

The Dresden Files are really fun and I love them but drat are they nowhere close to "good". The RPG, though, was my first introduction to FATE and it absolutely sold me on the system.

I find the books are a lot more amusing when you realize they're a rough novelization of his late 1990's World of Darkness LARP game.

Same as Codex Alera was his Exalted campaign.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

PJOmega posted:

Didn't the first Codex Alara predate Exalted? I'm guessing the series was written around the time StarCraft: Brood War came around because it becomes straight up Zerg down the line.

Nah, Exalted 1e was 2001, Alera didn't start until 2004.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Post-apocalyptic DC was always strange to me. Like the brown wasteland made sense for other post-apoc games like Wasteland and the older Fallouts because they were set in the southwest that would naturally be brown desert, but surely DC would revert to an overgrown swampy wilderness instead? Also they should do a Fallout in the pacific northwest or along the rockies or something. It'd pretty much be Skyrim and Bethesda loves Skyrim.

Yeah, then look at Boston. North Atlantic coast, ocean's still right there no matter how much you nuke it, but here we are with 200+ year old dessicated skeletons posed everywhere and half-naked settlers in rags because Bethesda can't give up the 'everything is the mojave' desert aesthetic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I like to note that FO4 somehow included iradiated desert themed cranberry bogs in an open world where it rains. Often.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Everybody knows the post-apocalypse looks like Mad Max.

Did you play the recent Mad Max game? It looks like that, but actually justifies why it does so much better than Fallout's east coast forays that it's ridiculous. Running 90 miles an hour in a beat to poo poo hot rod down a sandy plain that used to be the shallows off Australia is amazing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hey, beats 4 where the only good choice is the one you're prevented from taking : Ruling the ruins of Boston from your skull throne as the Only Competent Person In The Wastes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anne Rice kind of varies. Like her mummy book is absolutely, straight-up, a romance that also has a subplot about someone's re-animated disembodied hand swimming around the Nile. Most of her actual Vampire books on the other hand are basically the World of Darkness. Ancient evil re-awakening, curses imposed by God or something like it, archaic hierarchies who murder anyone who breaks their rules, self-loathing parasitism, the works.

I think that's the other way around. WoD based some of the Cam vampires off of Anne Rice's characters. Interview With The Vampire was published in the 70's, after all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yrah, WoTC isn't publishing much, and Pathfinder is finally running out of things to sloppily convert from 3.5.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

Good question. Those Atomic Bees sound lame. It's basically just The Jetsons Effect - you take a normal thing and slap prefixes on it ("space" in the case of The Jetsons).

So first you have some kind of bees, which live in hives and make honey. They pollinate flowers and if they sting you, you die. Now they're some kind of atomic bees, which live in nuclear hives and make atomic honey or whatever. There's also super-flowers and super-death if you get stung. This is basically the very lowest kind of "creativity" you can get.

Here, watch. I'll do it right now. I'll make uh... lunar bees. Sure.

So the moon itself is a giant hive, alright? And every full moon the lunar bees descend from heaven at night to drink deeply from the uh... I dunno, the night orchids which only bloom under the full moon? Sure. And their sting mutates you into a raging werewolf until the next dawn, so people think that it's some curse that repeats once a month and then they hang a guy and the problem doesn't repeat itself. Which is tragic because it was just an insect sting and nobody would've transformed next month (unless they got stung again of course) so the "solution" was just post-hoc correlation, lending my setting irony and pathos.

There. Am I creative enough yet? Do I get money now?

Wait. gently caress, I forgot about the honey. Uh... it's like this stuff which looks like molten silver and it's really great in some unspecified way. Cool, saved it.

Not convinced yet?

Ok, volcano-bees. They're these little obsidian bastards who fly out of the volcano once a century to drink up entire forests (they inhale the smoke, so it does involve burning the surrounding earth for miles around). Lava is actually volcano-honey. Your adventure is to rush into an evacuated town and steal all of its treasure while the volcano-bees get ever closes, a glittering swarm of roiling sparks. But be careful, besides the bees there's plenty of Bigger Animals and Quirky NPCs on your journey to contend with! On drivethru now for $5.99!

There's really nothing to this. Hoplite-bees, dragon-bees, nano-bees, junkyard-bees, chrono-bees, a child could do this stuff.

Shadowrun had lightning bees years ago. Siberian Bees. They'd developed a skill to get rid of large predators, like say bears, in that each one could deliver a little shock... or a whole swarm could magic up a full on lightning bolt.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 11, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Well yes, it should go without saying that "It's not for the PCs to use!" is not an excuse to write dozens of rape/murder fantasies into an RPG.

A lesson the Exalted team never learned.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

blackmongoose posted:

Anyone who can give you a detailed and accurate answer to this question probably won't do so without being paid. In terms of general non-legal advice, you should probably err on the side of caution since regardless of the actual legality, if a company goes through the effort to send you nasty messages it's unlikely you'll have the money to do anything but shut down your project.

As a general hint, I'd suggest looking at other products that use similar elements and see how genericized they went in order to be 'safe'. Covok, you mention anime, so BESM is probably worth a look.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

Bonus points if they're easily reverse-engineered, or actually good examples of playable characters. Zero if they've been tossed undocumented bennies. I've seen that stunt a few times, including what I dimly recall being an early edition of Shadowrun.

Every edition of Shadowrun.

Every one.

Even the current, 5th Edition, has the sample characters impossible to create by rules as written, and overstatted heavily, and Anarchy's pregens might as well be for another game entirely.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

8 hours isn't a big deal so long as things are moving along, but I'm a warhams player so I have a pretty strong tolerance for tactical miniatures combat in my RPGs and that can drag a little.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MadScientistWorking posted:

The last time I looked this up it is kind of depressing and sad but its partially Gary Gygax's fault. He hosed up the D&D licencing so badly that only recently did Hasbro get it fixed. Its why at one point there was made for tv D&D movies.

IIRC Hasbro's never really bothered to unfuck the D&D video game licensing since they sold Hasbro Interactive, and that's why the last serious D&D video game was NWN2 back in 2006. Everything since has been wanna-be Gauntlet clones, and the most recent one was Sword Coast Legends which flopped hard.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gourdcaptain posted:

Aren't there rumors that there were various factions of freelancers with different visions for the game passive-aggressively sniping at each other through their writing resulting in stuff like the crazy cyberware price increase between editions?

Less that, from what the freelancers have said, and more that they flatly had no idea what each other were working on. The wireless bonuses for gear, for example, were written by a different person than the rest of the wireless system, under the impression that it was supposed to be synergies for having stuff on a Personal Area Network (ie linked locally). The rest of the wireless system turned that into having to be linked to the greater Matrix because some idiot in the design shop decided that giving the hacker something to do in combat must at no point involve getting a weapon and being involved in combat so all cyberware needs to be online at all times, with basic functionality gated behind online bonuses.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

To be fair, the decker trying to prevent his buddies' cyberware from being hacked from the outside sounds like a solid idea. I mean in the age of Internet of Things that stuff is in there and it's vulnerable. And the last thing you want is the street samurai's gun cyberarm suddenly yanking back and firing at you.

It's poo poo in a retro-futuristic cyberpunk game that has no reason for an Internet of Things to exist, much less for deliberately anonymous career criminals to wear anything broadcasting an identity. The Matrix is quite literally balkanized thanks to being run by mutually hostile megacorps.

That said, they didn't even implement it in an interesting way. All you can do is make gear stop working, not make it go off when it shouldn't or control it in any way. It's lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

If you have wifi-enabled nanobots suffusing the air in your facility, you can wirelessly interface with even offline devices through those nanobots.

That's the justification I would use for making runners' gear vulnerable to hacking if I needed such a justification.

Yeah, but then you run into the same problem the writers realized they caused in 4e Shadowrun. Once there's a sufficiently advanced security panopitcon, career street criminals are a thing of the past. They're too easy to identify, so at best they are good for one or two jobs before they're useless. That doesn't make for fun gameplay.

• Locked thread