Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Verdugo posted:

Are we really supposed to go, "You should have seen it wasn't a store at all! Sorry you're out your donation! :smug:"

Well not :smug: rather than :smith: but otherwise yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I would like to suggest a course of action for anyone who thinks playing rape is a good thing, it is "gently caress off forever"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

neonchameleon posted:

Depends what you mean by playing. Consenting adults with a kink can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned as long as it's safe, sane, and consensual, and real people do have rape fetishes.

This is not what I was talking about

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jivjov posted:

I don't really care to continue a discussion here, as its not worth a probation or ban if I say something the moderators interpret badly. If you would like to continue a discussion on the topic (Preferably without dragging personal insults into the mix) could we please do it via PM?

If you're worried your position might get you probated or banned (as opposed to your posting style) then perhaps your position is loving terrible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jedit posted:

I know that it uses a sword. To rape people. Beyond that, I couldn't give a cold drop of leper's jism what it uses. Why do you ask?

read jivjov's posting history

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jivjov posted:

I previously expressed my displeasure with project creators choosing to make their projects too complex for Kickstarter's own tools to handle and instead make their backers jump through hoops and use mandatory external pledge managing tools.

as a reductio ad absurdum, maybe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's Poe's Law in RPG form, I guess

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Because the people running Inverse World don't want to be associated in any way with the Misery Index, layout guy seems to understand and all is cool, no "kicking off" about it.

e: all is cool between the principals

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:frogout:

edit: :getin:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jivjov posted:

I've never heard of a mod challenge before now, so I don't know what the accepted protocol is. I framed my point to the best of my ability, my original question to the Inverse World team was answered by them.

I seriously, 100% to the best of my knowledge was not "fishing for arguments" or attempting to be a "pointless devil's advocate", and have no other way to express my stance than what I've already done.

you do what you're told to do you or :redhammer:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jivjov how old are you?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jivjov posted:

Not sure why it matters, but I'm 23.

Just curious since you didn't seem to understand how the word "association" works.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The more general case is the correct usage of asssociation, and do you not see your disclaimer creates far more problems than it solves?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If a family member wrote this crap you'd be justified in ostracizing them.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ravenkult posted:

It's not like you play Werewolf and think ''gee, I really am a werewolf and I'm taking this game super seriously guys.''

Pretty sure there are plenty of people who actually do, though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you get paid for it it's not amateur by definition, dude

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Leperflesh posted:

There's a business model that actually supports this kind of work, though. What you do is you offer the writer (or artist or whatever) a percentage of revenues instead of (or partially instead of) a fee based on wordcount, hours worked, or a salary. If the artist isn't interested in sharing the risk of the publication with you, then they can decline such an offer up-front.

But if you promise someone you're going to pay them for work, it is not OK to put the business risk you have undertaken on to them, without telling them first. Many businesses have risk, and small startup businesses have lots of risk. The expectation is that the business owners are the ones financially exposed to that risk (and it can be limited, via limited-liability corporations). The employees are exposed to the extent that they may be laid off, but should not be risking their earned wages without being told first.

If I were writing a game or game supplement, and I wanted to hire an artist, another writer, an editor, or whatever, I would assume that I'd need to raise the full cost of their work ahead of time. That would be part of my budgeting for the product. If I can't come up with the money, then I can't make the product.

Yeah, I think my point here is full disclosure more than "this must never happen." The assumption is that you have the money you've offered to pay me; if you don't have that money, you'd better warn me now, and make sure I have a full and complete understanding of the risks... not just an optimistic spiel about how promising the product is.

No snip because phone but: as an observer to the industry of games, this post sums up a lot that needs to be understood, tg or not. Any cottage industry, really. Whether the money is guaranteed or not does not matter in and of itself. What matters is whether the contractor is properly informed of the situation.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

stoutfish posted:

Wargames and miniatures games are mainly dominated by basement dwelling titty model buying nerds who like complex rules. If there was a much broader range of those type of games, similar to boardgames, then there could possibly be a new reachable audience. Games that are simpler, cheaper, and less nerd power-fantasy.

However, aren't many boardgames essentially simpler, cheaper, and broader miniatures games? I just can't see the sell to a normal when it comes to that level of nerd depth. Don't get me wrong, it's lovely that the toxic community pushes away non toxic people who have an interest in the hobby in spite of said community.

This is a very good point. 40k is more interested in extremely dumb juvenile skulls and death stuff. It's still a very niche market and you can't really convince GW to diverge from it.

If you feel uncomfortable about the shameful models in your game, you may not be the target audience of the game. Someone come up with that perfect game with complex rules and better models, you won't make any money but you'll feel good.

maybe the industry should stop catering to shitlords because wider audiences == more money

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

But, to be way more fair than that crowd deserves, it was a massively stupid thing Gau posted. Like with the situation as it is and all, it goes to levels of dumb we don't have words for, So I'm calling this Gau.

The "joke" that Gau posted was Gau as gently caress.

If you're going to do that you might as well invoke hpapyefl

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Winson_Paine posted:

I should either add this to the FAQ or get Dagon to make a list we can randomly consult to give the answer.

Get fuegofish to write a generator for it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's obviously happened for very valid reasons, but it's amazing to see the mindset inversion w/r/t paizo and wotc around here.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GrandpaPants posted:

Seriously feel free to ignore the question if it is going to be an inappropriate derail that will lead to people being probated. I really did not want to open a :can:.

Go read the last dozen pages of the closed chat thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tulul posted:

In Reign, there's a widespread belief, in-setting, that riding a horse normally makes a man impotent. Because of this, men ride sidesaddle, and the vast majority of the knights in the setting are female or eunuchs.

A bunch of people absolutely flipped their poo poo over it.

that rules

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Effectronica posted:

I'm guessing he came from his mother and father.

I'm guessing he came in your mother.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pope Guilty posted:

I love reading this thread but I always feel like I need some TG fuckup wiki to keep track of everybody and how they're a fuckup.

everything is completely hosed up!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Huh it's almost like with all these strong genre-emulation games you have to choose one that fits your audience's likes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ProfessorCirno posted:

It sorta started that way, but ended up being bandied about so much that now it basically means "At least I don't CARE about things, heh, I ain't even mad I lost!" while being voraciously mad that you lost.

it's this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Eberron was the only good thing about 3.5

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bongwizzard posted:

It's not valid if you care about getting anyone who doesn't already agree with you to give a gently caress. It is hyperbolic in the extreme and isn't going to help get any point you are making to be taken seriously.

:ironicat:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i remember i once was in bongwhizzard's position on these very forums, thinking i was being helpful by tone policing

incidentally, i got told to shut the gently caress up and in the end i learned something and well, i hope the same happens to him

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Unless you are actively on a jury you should shut the gently caress up and trust the person claiming abused and not pick holes in it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Belding I have found your line it goes from you -> gbs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dwarf74 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it?

:stare: is that really what's causing all this bullshit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Covok posted:

Bigots need no bigger reason to hate someone or something than its existence.

I know, but still

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quote:

Is there any horrible societal ill white males aren't responsible for? 
nope! lol!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Arctic Bunny posted:

FGM?

Seriously though, I've been hoping for this kind of a larger discourse. Maybe opening the floodgates now like this will lead towards the hobby improving. It's a discussion that needs to be had.

That female pathfinders group thing is understandable but I think it's a bandaid over a gaping oozing wound. Having a women-only spaces does give us women a space with less or no harassment, but at the same time, segregating genders doesn't teach getting along with different genders. (Namely, to men - women generally have no problem behaving civilly towards males.)

I don't know what fgm means in this context

Anyway uh... I've never gone outside this forum for TG news and the only TG people I follow on Twitter are other goons, and I feel like this place has a pretty solid handle on the state of things

e: on the other hand, my level of involvement in The Industry and such is pretty low, and basically entirely limited to PbP on these forums and a couple of Skype games with some of those same people

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Leperflesh posted:

Holy drat, someone still knows about Tom Swifties! :haw:

Holy poo poo I forgot about these

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DigitalRaven posted:

"Homosexual necrophilia is fun," Tom said in dead ernest.

:prepop:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheTatteredKing posted:

Missed opportunity to name your kid Richard, Cocks senior

In high school I played sports against a kid named Guy Sack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, the closest I've come to any of that is that I once worked with a guy named John Holmes.

I currently work with a guy named that

• Locked thread