Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man. In addition to whatever he wants less of, the industry could use a lot fewer passive aggressive crypto-jabs.

Call someone out or don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Start up TG Tattler on Twitter. Spill everything anonymously.

E: Stickyleaks

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I have a hard time believing that successful people are paying much attention to Zak S.

Is it kosher to ask what the gently caress he (or pundit?) and Mearls did to Mikan on Twitter?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think the issue with word count is that you're selling a rules package that's intended to be consumed differently than conventional text.

20,000 words on Dwarves is meaningless in this context. But nobody is going to contact out for four dwarf classes, six dwarf relics, a dwarf pantheon, and different regional ethnic bonuses for various kingdoms.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's interesting, I guess it really does come down to the publisher.

Wait are you saying there's a draft of Darkening Sky just gathering dust somewhere?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wow, ok thanks!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Their monster stand-ups are looking a lot more appealing.

This is a good trend, and I really don't think we'd have seen anything like this even five years ago. Or hell, even last year.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's a pretty standard genre convention that strange, totally hot fantasy ladies wanting to do you ends badly. The succubus is like a litmus test to determine which players know better.

The only place this doesn't happen is homebrew D&D, with teenage boys (and forty year old teenage boys) are calling the shots.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The idea, as I understand it, is to showcase the heroes' dedication to their purpose, rising above base instincts that the audience/reader can completely understand.

An ideal sexual encounter, turned down because of heroic callings? Holy poo poo, these guys are heros.

Fuckbeasts in D&D fall apart because DMs are way more prone to erotic succubus nipple derails than sealing your crew's ears with wax to avoid sirens' call.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm imagining the HR guy at Wizards trying to explain to the D&D team what harassment actually is before jumping out the window in frustration.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is the defence of Thunder Plains that it's a pocket universe created from the Wild West of popular American fiction (and not actually the historical American frontier?) Or is it "this game is fiction so that isn't racist?" (I haven't been following closely.)

Like, the first case could actually be a good teaching tool about cultural stereotypes in the right hands.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It wasn't very good at capturing anything from the source material or original game. Unless I missed all the level six defensive option heroes in weird fiction.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah the claymation cover owned, and I'm glad to own it just for the D20 stats of mythos creatures, but I feel like D20 mechanics have too much of their own overpowering flavour. Levels and offensive/defensive "classes" just existed because D20 needs them - one of the strengths of the original was that you never leveled up. Humans were humans.

E: to give it its due, it was definitely a step up from D20 Modern or 3.x. I feel like D20 CoC encapsulated the D20 CAN DO ANYTHING PERFECTLY! thing that everybody was desperately trying to make true.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 20, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He's going to completely ignore that black people lived in Medieval Europe, isn't he?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

But you already have anti-semitism and Crusades, how much more genocide and racism do we need to celebrate faithfully recreate in game form?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

However, ̃ulê has been discovered by other races of men, and even worse, by the ettins, and naturally they all have arrived in ̃ulê, and in their wake comes all sorts of troubles, challenges – and great opportunities for adventure!

:sigh:

Well that's uncomfortable. "AND EVEN WORSE," conveys not only his idea that "other races of men" are bad, but that the reader should already have assumed that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It takes some balls to play the "middle-class white guys" card in defense of middle-class white guys. Also

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Edit: Oh, he's still reproducing bad art

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Could GenCon cite their religious convictions and refuse to do business with a bigoted state?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fsmhunk posted:

Okay, so basically they never knew what they were doing, has D&D ever been handled by a competent business?

There's also that one time Insider was making millions, but I can't seem to remember what edition that happened under.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The least competent decision regarding Insider was to shut it down. No, we don't want a guaranteed, regular steam of revenue.

It was a flawed product, sure, but it was selling and making them grown-up big boy money from what was presumably a microscopic overhead.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dragon moved to some iOS thing, and I thought Insider died months ago. I could be wrong, though.

MadScientistWorking posted:

No. The product under delivered on what was promised and had a bunch of issues that in a competently run project wouldn't have hindered it at all.

And yet people still threw money at it hand over fist.

I appreciate what you're saying: it was poorly managed and deeply flawed. But you're literally arguing with its success. In better hands it could have been profitable AND a great product, but in the end they just had to settle for it being trucks full of cash. Oh well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's all kind of a mess. The DUST team was publicly slagging them and crying foul while BF took the high road for the first few months. People read BF's silence in the social media slapfight as confirmation that IT WAS ALL TRUE. And when Battlefront finally came out with their side, people are bitching about how immature and unprofessional they are for engaging in these tactics.

I think it's more a case that the backers had already decided BF was to blame (in a vacuum of other information) and nerds can't admit to ever being wrong or used as leverage.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's Mike Mearls.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

LO-loving-L if anyone sincerely believes the D&D Attack Wing happy meal dragons are the best thing that happened in miniatures this year.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Outright, up-front scams

:golfclap:

It would be nice for someone to rescue Up Front! the same way, but I'm sure that money's gone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I noticed there wasn't anything from FFG either, but that would have probably required them to give out dice too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Kai Tave can we talk about this without so much hostility?

I think what you're discounting is that there is an entire generation, now in our 40s, for whom Dungeons & Dragons was synonymous with nerd gaming.

I read that as emphasis more than hostility.

The generation in their 40s has already been disregarded. Suppose (generously) that a guy ambles into a store, dimly recalls the joy and wonder of 70's/80's Dungeons and Dragons and then drops $150 for the PHB, DMG, and MM. It's a best-case scenario for D&D: the literal prodigal fan's return. It's a rare, one in a thousand thing... and at most it sells three books.

Magic the Gathering routinely makes more than that off a guy buying two boxes of boosters. Or two guys each buying a box of boosters. But it's silly to think of it in these terms because your LGS is going to sell nearly every box they ordered before the next expansion hits. Two customers aren't going to buy a booster box for every trinity of D&D books sold - a dozen boxes are going to get sold.

D&D is absolutely iconic, and today it's wisely being leveraged as a brand more than a game. But World of Warcraft is equally resonant. The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies are more ubiquitously tied to fantasy than the books. Warhammer is synonymous with fantasy and sci-fi miniatures wargaming, but they're coasting on inertia and sunk-cost fallacies.

If you ask someone under 30 where Orcs came from, I'd bet that more often than "D&D" they'll say the Peter Jackson movies, Warcraft, or Tolkien's books.

e: Or Warhammer.

moths fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 23, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

homullus posted:

But . . . they do come from Tolkien's books.

Nah, William Hope Hodgson introduced oD&D-style pig-nose orcs in 1908 with House on the Borderlands. Tolkien can probably take credit for christening them "orcs" though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The fields have already been salted, though. If a new, popular, and accessible RPG were to crop up heralding a renaissance? ,The Old Guard would gatekeep the living gently caress out of it and its players.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Those people can't gatekeep their refrigerators, let alone a roleplaying game. It's easy to blame things on the damnable grognard, but it's also wrong.

I don't exclusively mean intentionally - nerds are blackbelt masters of sending cues that YOU DON'T BELONG HERE. A prospective player might get ganged up on for interest in the "wrong" game, baffled by deliberately confusing ingroup jargon, cornered with appalling stories of "what goes on in my Chaotic Evil campaign," or any of a thousand other cat-piss first impression examples that would send a reasonable person walking and never looking back.

If some miracle game showed up to revitalize the hobby into a second Golden age, it would first need to delouse the "community" to make it palatable to regular folks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Nobody who's ever raised it has yet to explain exactly what this theoretical new-wave RPG poised to resonate with this wider audience ready to be served by it actually looks like.

It looked a lot like 4e D&D, unfortunately.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

And that's why I didn't say the ideal game was 4E, but something along those lines.

E: Clearly presented, accessible, and riding a tidal-wave of cultural Harry Potter / LotR relevancy.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 23, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Basically anything that's beginner-friendly instead of an extension of consumers' habits acquired over a lifetime.

The rulebook looked and read clearly like a rulebook. Cool people like Penny Arcade were playing it and having fun. Online services made it easier and more familiar to new people. There were a lot of promo events, at least three "D&D Days."

This was a deliberate effort to say "come in and play!" from a platform big enough to get people's attention. And gently caress if that didn't scare the worst elements of the hobby.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm impressed that a website I've never heard of managed to get internal numbers from Amazon, the largest seller of books.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ultimately Mearls and the Next team swallowed Paizo's narrative: 4e was a huge failure, it was tabletop WoW, every class was the same, and millennial trophies for everybody edition, etc, etc. So they doubled-down on pandering to the shrieking chorus. An extended "playtest" created the impression that REAL TRUE FANS of D&D were creating the edition. This was a weird-rear end time with an almost anti-intellectual backlash against the "too hard" 4e D&D - Feedback surveys asked what felt like D&D. What are your favorite most Dungeony-Dragony feeling things that should be core rules?* It was pure grog-coddling PR.

Mearls leveraged big and loud names to garner appeal. (I personally think Cook was hired to put his name on the cover and shut up about any new ideas.) And still other people were brought onboard for their big online footprints, but who knew gently caress-nothing about game design. He gave the sycophantic fan sites EXCLUSIVE info about the new edition, but left critical ones out in the cold. When consultant-gate hit, he spun it like a champ and turned the accusations against the accusers ("No, WE are the victims of harassment!") in a way that would make Karl Rove proud.

And in a way, it was the right play. 4e's biggest "failure" was a diplomatic one. Monte Cook Presents: Passive Perception confirmed as much. If they'd come out swinging this hard when 4e was introduced, grogs today would be singing about how Gary would have loved the Warforged, Healing Surges, and getting D&D back to its miniatures wargames roots.

(*Not actually how core rules work)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Look if talking about TG as an industry gets you that mad there are other threads, dude.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, holy cow.

It's funny that a discussion about what might draw RPG players into the hobby would provoke someone to get salty over YOU ASSHOLES DON'T EVEN HAVE A FIRST DRAFT IN ALPHA ...but here we are.

e: That's just finding a way to monetize something they're already doing. The problem is that if it encroaches on table-top role playing's perceived turf, the RPG police go full-grognard and remind everyone else why they weren't there in the first place.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 24, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's a little simplistic.

The real reason Indie RPGs will never be popular is because of the paradox where getting popular means you're no longer an Indie.
And clown shows like Luke Crane's active evasion of popularity and a sustainable business model.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

How big were 80's assassin games like SJG's Killer? I mean the ones where you get a friend's name and someone else gets yours, then you tried to shoot them with a toy gun before someone shot you.

Judging by terrible horror movies, I'd guess they were played on every college campus... but I feel like they're over-represented there. And then real gun violence probably made that game a lot less practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd be interested in seeing what would happen if you brought the.Risk Legacy format to RPGs. Like a module that could only be played once, or a character whose choices made physical changes to its media which could not be undone.

• Locked thread