Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Covok posted:

If this is the gospel truth, then Moon Design was clearly in the wrong: they did not obtain permission to create this product from the holder of the copyright and yet still tried to get funding for it and produce it. The law is the law and, surprisingly, is pretty clear cut in this case.

Does anyone know if Moon Design is a new company? I'm only asking because this sounds very amateurist on their part. I mean copyright right and trademark can sometimes be confusing, but this is a very clear violation that they should have been aware of.

Also, what is GMS?

No Moon Design owns the Heroquest trademark, the Kickstartering company, GAMEZONE, do not, this is the explanation of how Moon Design contacted the Kickstarter and then pursued suspension. Moon Design are current publishers of Robin Law's RPG Heroquest which is mainly built to support roleplaying in the setting of Glorantha, which Moon Design, kickstarted a complete world book for last year and seem to be doing a great job of.

GMS is a guy who kickstarts great sounding stuff but can't deliver.

REPEAT:
MOON DESIGN AWESOME AND PRO, GAMEZONE AMATEURISH AND NOT AWESOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
For everyone eager to participate in discussion about rape as an intrinsic setting component, Ron Edwards has set up a conciliatory but not quite understanding thread here:
http://indie-rpgs.com/adept/index.php?topic=303.0

For example, he doesn't seem to have twigged that the veiling of rape isn't the eradication of sexuality, as rape is foremost, before ALL other things, about power.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I read that Pelgrane had a deal with a Korean publisher to have them publish 13th Age, and awhile ago I looked up the publisher and they've had a bunch of successful kickstarter-like campaigns for various RPGs including Dungeon World and I guess some Monte Cooke stuff as well.

So maybe we'll start to see stuff come out of Korea in a few years.

Tumblebug (Korean Kickstarter?) link
https://tumblbug.com/u/cympub

Edit:
Holy poo poo, there's a tumblebug for translating Dogs in The Vineyard, Prime Time Adventures, A Quiet Year and one other I can't recognise, into Korean: https://tumblbug.com/rpgbundle

It definitely looks like the Korean market is much MORE progressive without the influence of DnD.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 30, 2016

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ettin posted:

Hey folks. I am catching up but in the meantime it'd be great if you could make less posts that are just "this other poster sucks poo poo". Cheers!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG As A Grognards.txt - Past, Present, Future

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

spoiler alert: what's considered the origins of feminism started in the late 1800s and was definitely a going concern in Gygax's life. He was definitely aware of it, even if he didn't agree with it.

Spoiler alert: biological determenist feminism has existed since the late 1800s, and was particularly in vogue in the 60s and 70s.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

TG Industry question: What does print-on-demand look like? How does it work? What kind of technology came about in the recent years that made this sort of thing possible?

I maybe wrong, but it's kind of like cloud computing. In the past you had to order specific print runs, because the printer would have to set up plates (not that they use them much anymore), or have to go through some other procedure before printing, now with digital/laser you can print from a file. It's also much more profitable to have a modern printer running continuously than to stop and start it, so a major part of commissioning print runs is about scheduling time on the printer. Also with print on demand you don't have to invest in stock storage if you're a small publisher.

One theory behind print-on-demand is that instead of scheduling bulk print runs on the printer, enough single orders are continuously processed that there isn't a gap in how much the printer prints. This requires the internet because you need to be able to have orders flowing in regularly as well as having the files on hand so that the printer can retrieve the information. The printer isn't geared towards printing your particular book so print on demand can feel very one size fits all.

The other model I guess is that you have a printer and it's ready at any time to print off a single copy of a book any time someone wants it, but that's inefficient and expensive if it's just sitting there and not printing. But I've seen that happen.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Why are you guys acting like it's a huge moral failing to be a jerk?

(Major nerd social fallacy poo poo coming up in this thread)

My prediction for the Luke Crane discussion, endless talk that wrings out all possibility of nuance and at the end a firm agreement by all that he's the literal devil or the moon.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Impermanent posted:

hey Ars Magica sounds kind of like my jam. What is the good edition and what edition is easily gettable, and does it lend itself well to play from a .pdf or do you need physical books?

Also can you play it over the internet, also can you play non western style mystics. could I be from a mythical tibetan shaman lineage or something.

You can play non-western style Mages, yes. But Tibet canonically does not exist nor does anything south of the equator. The setting is the world according to an educated European/near Eastern mystic, so it operates in ways the ME perspective would understand the world as operating, and large parts of our world just do not exist, as contact between East and West was so constrained.

Also for those interested in international RPG gaming, people in Korea are receiving their copies of Night Witches:
https://twitter.com/cympub

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Thundercloud posted:

I'm wary of accusations of anti-semitism based on someone being critical of Israel, because the right wing of the Labour Party have been accusing left wing Jewish people of being anti-semitic because they support the Oslo agreement or oppose the current Israeli government.

Literally the anti-semitism accusations at the recent conference were made against a former Israeli commando speaking out against the occupation.

Yeah, racist or otherwise immoral political speech has a higher burden of trust than physical/verbal sexual abuse, usually because there's a greater chance for misunderstanding or misrepresentation and because there's usually a recording or in text proof.

Like people were accusing Zoe Quinn of condoning rape during GG because she said that sleeping around without your partner's knowledge was a violation akin to rape, and then pointing to the accusations that sparked the whole thing off as proof that she was a rapist under her own definition.

• Locked thread