Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah, after our lineups were filled out the AHL fodder guys was long-winded and boring but it did amount to having full teams so it was kinda cool. I think if everyone wants to do another draft and run it through a sim, it would be cool, and we could do a season preview and list everyone's rosters and poo poo like that if you all wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I enjoyed the idea of the draft and a lot of the dialogue about players and how stupid we thought each other were, but this forum was the worst possible way to run that draft. No way that should have taken as long as it did. I don't think I could do it again.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am sorry that you guys didn't experience the same thrill as me drafting Lucas Lessio in the 2somethingth round.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Late round drafting was cool but would have been cooler if we had allowed unsigned prospects

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'd be up for doing it again, It was really fun putting in the hours this time around, and I ended up with an awesome team at the end of it all (in my opinion).

Probably should do an update on that..

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
code:
Rk	Player			Age	Tm	Pos	GP	G	A	PTS	GC	+/-	PIM	S	ATOI
13	Chris Kunitz		34	PIT	LW	78	35	33	68	27	25	66	218	19.15
22	Jonathan Toews		25	CHI	C	76	28	40	68	26	26	34	193	20.47
51	David Backes		29	STL	C	74	27	30	57	22	14	119	165	20.55
69	Patric Hornqvist	27	NSH	RW	76	22	31	53	20	1	28	248	17.87
86	Reilly Smith		22	BOS	RW	82	20	31	51	19	28	14	146	15.70
102	Brandon Saad		21	CHI	LW	78	19	28	47	18	20	20	159	16.28
141	Mikael Backlund		24	CGY	C	76	18	21	39	15	4	32	178	19.53
198	Matt Stajan		30	CGY	C	63	14	19	33	13	-13	42	70	18.37
201	Kris Versteeg		27	TOT	RW	81	12	24	36	13	0	36	157	14.47
214	Dwight King		24	LAK	LW	77	15	15	30	12	16	18	111	15.05
306	Brad Richardson		28	VAN	RW	73	11	12	23	9	1	39	85	15.90
338	Dave Moss		32	PHX	RW	79	8	14	22	8	-1	18	151	15.65
435	Andrew Desjardins	27	SJS	C	81	3	14	17	5	-8	86	95	11.15
551	Torrey Mitchell		29	TOT	C	67	2	8	10	3	-3	25	56	11.88
761	Taylor Beck		22	NSH	RW	7	0	0	0	0	-2	6	9	13.83
833	Vladislav Namestnikov	21	TBL	C	4	0	0	0	0	-1	4	4	9.47
code:
Rk	Player			Age	Tm	Pos	GP	G	A	PTS	GC	+/-	PIM	S	ATOI
279	Slava Voynov		24	LAK	D	82	4	30	34	10	6	44	143	22.30
316	Johnny Boychuk		30	BOS	D	75	5	18	23	8	31	45	142	21.20
370	Brendan Smith		24	DET	D	71	5	14	19	7	-2	68	90	18.38
385	Justin Braun		26	SJS	D	82	4	13	17	6	19	20	121	21.98
450	Paul Martin		32	PIT	D	39	3	12	15	5	-4	10	54	25.57
503	Stephane Robidas	36	TOT	D	38	5	5	10	4	10	20	56	20.17
I think my team cooled off in the second half of the year. When I did the half way update they were collectively scoring something crazy like 4 goals a game. They still ended up at around 260 as a group. The defense would have been a problem with Martin and Robidas missing a majority of the games in the year with injuries, but otherwise they were a solid defensive unit. My goal in the first half of the draft was basically to pick players from what I thought were good teams, and then later on find veterans to play further down in the lineup than they typically would as depth players. hopefully you end up with some semblance of a playoff hockey team at the end of the day. Strengths of the team would have definitely been their two way / possession play and goal scoring ability. Ben Bishop was really good the first half of the season (like Vezina trophy good) but his game cooled off in the 2nd half. I think this would have been one of the top teams in the conference, and a good bet to advance in the playoffs.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 23, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So can this happen while the playoffs are going on? I'd at least like to see who's in, or do we wanna wait until July 1 free agency? Problem with that is I'm leaving for an extensive US tour in mid-July.

But should we start calling teams now? Obviously, I'd be in as New Jersey.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
If we're starting now I'm picking the San Jose Chokers Sharks.

e: However I would probably recommend making a new thread and pimping this in the Off Season and N/V threads to get some fresh blood, especially since some won't be coming back.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'd recommend waiting until the offseason but either way I'm in as the Detroyet Red Wings.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah would be better to wait for the offseason. Summer Is Coming.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm switching to the Bruins this time.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Going with the Arizona Coyotes this time around.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thoughts on ignoring salary cap? We basically ignored it last time, because everyone was able to spend to the cap, and there aren't enough NHL salaries to have every team do that and have caps be an issue.

Also - we drafting on the basis of next year instead of this year?

And I'll redo Chicago unless someone really wants it, and am OK with starting early or later.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I'm Pro-Cap and pro-next year.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Not having a cap kinda defeats the purpose, it's interesting to see how we value players based on their contracts.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We should ignore the cap because it's so easy to stay under it. Wait, what?

I didn't bother posting my cap numbers because I was like 10-15M under the old CBA's cap.

Anyway, since Paulocaust is dead or something, I'd better get the Leafs this time. I don't really care when it happens, as long as there are 30 GMs making picks at a decent pace.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I'd prefer to wait until the offseason, would prefer to have the cap, would prefer to draft using next years contract value (and some sort of bidding system for free agents) and would prefer to take the Flyers again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good point, I think it would be a fun to start in early June and have our own entry draft, ~free agent frenzy~ and maybe something separate for unsigned prospects or just include them in the regular draft.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Good point, I think it would be a fun to start in early June and have our own entry draft, ~free agent frenzy~ and maybe something separate for unsigned prospects or just include them in the regular draft.

Signing UFA's would be loving awesome, except how would we determine that? What if two teams offer max?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Signing UFA's would be loving awesome, except how would we determine that? What if two teams offer max?

Rock paper scissors? I really don't think there are good enough UFAs this offseason to warrant max salary x 8 years. Max salary is what, 20% of a likely 69-70 million cap? Nobody is going to sign Gaborik to a 14M per deal, right? Right??

Anyway, highest total contract value is a simple enough rule for a winning bid. Someone clever can come up with another rule if you want to prevent a flood of 2M x 8 year offers beating out 5M x 3 years. Maybe just have diminishing returns for tacking on extra years, like total value = 100% year 1 + 100% year 2 + 90% year 3 + 75% year 4 ...

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
Sticking with the Avs, whenever we decide to do this

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Didn't we just allow UFAs to be drafted last year as a kind of pick at your own risk sort of thing? Or was pretty much everyone signed? I can't remember.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll do the Penguins again

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'll be the Rangers, does this mean I need to go crazy with free agent spending?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Didn't we just allow UFAs to be drafted last year as a kind of pick at your own risk sort of thing? Or was pretty much everyone signed? I can't remember.

We started drafting while the lockout-shortened 12-13 season was ongoing, then said that we'd start our pretend league in 2012 as if the lockout never happened. So anyone with an expiring contract still had value, since they'd play out at least one full season, and anyone who wasn't signed at all wasn't eligible to be drafted in the first place.

If we start in June and say we're drafting a team for an October 2014 start then there's no real reason to pick pending UFAs anymore. Maybe just say anyone who's unsigned by June 15th or whenever is assumed to be heading to UFA.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 5, 2014

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'd be in favor of allowing UFAs to be drafted, as well as unsigned prospects. Like people are saying the cap didn't really come in to play, and it'd be weird if no one was drafting someone like Stastny or whatever.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah. The problem with bidding for free agents is, let's say five teams offer the same FA different deals, slightly different. Like who are we to say who would Tom Gilbert would sign with, the team giving him 3 years and $9 million or the teams giving him 2 years and $10 million, or something like that?

Drafting pending UFA's is the way to do it. They have less long-term value but teams with cap space who think they can re-sign the guy (or even if they can't and want to win now) can take them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why not just give assume all pending UFAs will sign for one year only and base offers on that.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Part of the problem is that we were drafting with a higher-than-real cap and none of us had any salary limits. It would be more interesting to draft with a lower limit, around 63-65m which would allow all players to be drafted, but require actual cap management of teams.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Why not just give assume all pending UFAs will sign for one year only and base offers on that.

That's dumb, why would a 27 year-old UFA sign for one year with someone? And some teams will have long-term goals and some more short-term.

And to the lower cap, I do like that idea. The problem is, guys like Perry and Lundqvist on a lower cap...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Yeah. The problem with bidding for free agents is, let's say five teams offer the same FA different deals, slightly different. Like who are we to say who would Tom Gilbert would sign with, the team giving him 3 years and $9 million or the teams giving him 2 years and $10 million, or something like that?

Uhh, 2 years and $10 million is a higher total and average. Why would he take 3 x 3?

I assume you mean how do you choose between a higher total value vs a higher salary on a shorter deal, and I gave one option of weighting salary in later years less. Anyway the CBA already limited contracts to 8 years max so it's not like we can offer infinitely long deals at league minimum.

e: I also assume we'd be drafting a team for the start of the 2014 season since there's no lockout bullshit this time around. Why should anyone draft pending UFAs??

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Uhh, 2 years and $10 million is a higher total and average. Why would he take 3 x 3?

I assume you mean how do you choose between a higher total value vs a higher salary on a shorter deal, and I gave one option of weighting salary in later years less. Anyway the CBA already limited contracts to 8 years max so it's not like we can offer infinitely long deals at league minimum.

e: I also assume we'd be drafting a team for the start of the 2014 season since there's no lockout bullshit this time around. Why should anyone draft pending UFAs??

My point is, if a couple teams offer a guy the same or roughly the same deal, who gets him? How could we decide that?

And pending UFA's have value because if they're good players, they'll be an asset the following season (we would be acting as if the upcoming season will be their last on contract), and if you think your team has a good chance to re-sign him then he's worth even more. Pending UFA's wouldn't be guys like Stastny, they'll have contracts by the time we do this. We woud be drafting guys who go UFA next summer as pending.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

My point is, if a couple teams offer a guy the same or roughly the same deal, who gets him? How could we decide that?

... whoever offers the most money, just like I said!

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

And pending UFA's have value because if they're good players, they'll be an asset the following season (we would be acting as if the upcoming season will be their last on contract), and if you think your team has a good chance to re-sign him then he's worth even more. Pending UFA's wouldn't be guys like Stastny, they'll have contracts by the time we do this. We woud be drafting guys who go UFA next summer as pending.

Stastny might not be signed before the draft. I'm talking about guys who are planning on going to UFA, which could well include Stastny. Why would we draft those? Whoever's unsigned by the draft is probably not going to re-sign before UFA begins, with a few exceptions.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

First off, we are waiting until after free agents have been signed. He will be signed.

Secondly, am I not being clear?

Team A offers guy 4 years $12 million.
Team B offers guy 4 years $12 million.
Team C offers guy 4 years $12 million.

Who gets him?

Bidding is gonna be weird also because what if one team offers the same AAV over 5 years and one offers a slightly higher AAV of 3 years? I just doubt we will wind up with a single unanimous "most money" offer out of 30 teams trying to manage their cap.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

First off, we are waiting until after free agents have been signed. He will be signed.

There will always be unsigned free agents. I think it would be more fun to sign our own dumb contracts than to let the NHL market determine the values for some of the top guys and just toss out whoever's left unsigned. Last August, that included Grabovski, Brunner, Morrow, Cleary (lol), Hejduk, Selanne, Gagne, Raymond, Prospal, Wellwood (:() Hainsey, Dog Murray (double lol), Ian White (:(), Thomas and Bryzgalov (the most :lol:). I'm sure we could live without similar calibre players but I would be more curious to see what people would offer Stastny, say.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Secondly, am I not being clear?

Team A offers guy 4 years $12 million.
Team B offers guy 4 years $12 million.
Team C offers guy 4 years $12 million.

Who gets him?

Team D, who is smart enough to offer 4 years, $12.01 million instead of round numbers.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Bidding is gonna be weird also because what if one team offers the same AAV over 5 years and one offers a slightly higher AAV of 3 years? I just doubt we will wind up with a single unanimous "most money" offer out of 30 teams trying to manage their cap.

I already talked about this.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If you want to do FA signings you just do it like Yahoo Fantasy Bid does. You bid until people stop bidding.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

If you want to do FA signings you just do it like Yahoo Fantasy Bid does. You bid until people stop bidding.

I would never do it because it would take like two years but a straight auction draft with real cap would be awesome. But yeah I don't see why we couldn't try bidding on FA's I suppose. After the drafted players of course.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

That's dumb, why would a 27 year-old UFA sign for one year with someone? And some teams will have long-term goals and some more short-term.

Because it's a fair way of doing it. You can just pretend that their contact was for that and a year away from expiring.

Last time worked because we were going for a season that had already happened, and we were able to sign based on deals that had already happened.

Not everyone will be signed on July 1. Lots of guys won't be signed until next season starts.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
we dont follow the team past this year anyways before we re-do the entire thing so other than bragging rights or claims at future stability, who cares if the player's signed for another year or another fifteen years

i mean at the very worst it's a footnote in the guy's conclusion at the end of the year when he says "and jvr's probably heading to free agency or getting a raise after his 75 goal season" or whatever and i dont think people will care that much

edit: if we want we can quickly hash out what we think the top 10 ufas are gonna get on the market and assume the rest are extended at current teams for a year. callahan 6m stastny 7m does anyone else matter?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'll stay in as Winnipeg again.

• Locked thread