Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
For simplicity and speed we can just rule that any unsigned FAs sign for one more year at the same cap hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm of course in as CBJ again.

Free agency seems like something of a nightmare to be honest. What happens if someone offers a guy 7 years $49M but another person offers $17M over 2 years? Who does the player choose? The higher average cap hit or the more guaranteed money?

Is someone going to throw the teams into FHM and simulate a few seasons to see what happens? I haven't played it in a while, but I've heard it's improved markedly and last time around I built a team for the future expecting this to go on for a few years.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am telling you guys right now, I have no issue with offering Vanek $9 million a year, if it means that I get him and you guys don't. It's pretend money!

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Twin Cinema posted:

I am telling you guys right now, I have no issue with offering Vanek $9 million a year, if it means that I get him and you guys don't. It's pretend money!

Maybe you should just take the Flyers and roleplay.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
I'm not sure if Antropov was a FA when I signed him but I did it and nobody challenged me

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Bumping this and I'll be Florida again.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
we still doing this poo poo

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I unfortunately can't. I'm leaving July 12th to go on an extensive US tour with my band and I'm not going to have any time for it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Twin Cinema posted:

How much money would it take to bring Lidstrom out of retirement 'cause that's how much I'm giving him.

T-Bone posted:

we still doing this poo poo

I'm down to do it once the offseason starts.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought we were supposed to wait until after free agency because nobody wanted to do free agents. That's still a month away.

Still, some of you obsessives should join my EHM league like I keep saying. Or post playoff stats. Drunk Canuck will laugh away with his Kopitar pick.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I unfortunately can't. I'm leaving July 12th to go on an extensive US tour with my band and I'm not going to have any time for it.

Are you coming to the Bay Area? I'll come out and make fun of you for <insert pick here> loudly during your set.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yes I'd still like to do this, but maybe starting mid-July because pretend signing free agents is going to be dumb. We gotta kill the long, hockeyless days of summer somehow.

eXXon posted:

Still, some of you obsessives should join my EHM league like I keep saying. Or post playoff stats. Drunk Canuck will laugh away with his Kopitar pick.

Didn't EHM cap the game at 15 total GMs thus removing the possibility of a pure human run NHL?

With that said I've sunk hundreds of hours of my life into EHM, and while I haven't touched it in a couple years, I'd be down to give it another shot if the modding community at The Blueline is still going strong.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Habibi posted:

Are you coming to the Bay Area? I'll come out and make fun of you for <insert pick here> loudly during your set.

Yep I am! TBA shows.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

eXXon posted:

There's a very good Montreal team with cap issues that just became open, in fact!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bumping this thread to post playoff stats because Justin Williams owns.

code:
Rk 	Player 		Age 	Tm 	Pos 	GP 	G 	A 	PTS 	GC 	+/- 	PIM 	S% 	TOI 	ATOI
3	J. Williams 	32	LAK 	RW 	26	9	16	25	9	13	35	13.4	437	16:49
19	Lars Eller 	24	MTL 	C 	17	5	8	13	5	6	18	21.7	280	16:27
50	J. Pominville 	31	MIN 	RW 	13	2	7	9	3	-3	0	6.3	237	18:16
65	D. Hamilton 	20	BOS 	D 	12	2	5	7	2	1	14	8.7	229	19:07
80	Claude Giroux 	26	PHI 	C 	7	2	4	6	2	2	2	12.5	136	19:24
83	Ryan Johansen 	21	CBJ 	C 	6	2	4	6	2	-2	4	11.1	114	19:03
125	Kevin Klein 	29	NYR 	D 	24	1	3	4	1	8	6	5.9	312	12:59
152	Victor Hedman 	23	TBL 	D 	4	1	2	3	1	-2	2	33.3	98	24:29
159	Chris Porter 	29	STL 	LW 	6	1	2	3	1	2	0	6.7	73	12:14
165	Jaden Schwartz 	21	STL 	LW 	6	1	2	3	1	-4	0	6.7	133	22:10
169	Lee Stempniak 	30	PIT 	RW 	13	2	1	3	1	-4	6	9.1	196	15:03
175	M-E Vlasic 	26	SJS 	D 	5	1	2	3	1	0	0	10	85	16:00
200	Alex Killorn 	24	TBL 	C 	4	1	1	2	1	-2	4	6.3	75	18:41
236	Adam Cracknell 	28	STL 	RW 	5	1	0	1	1	0	2	16.7	64	12:43
252	N. Kucherov 	20	TBL 	RW 	2	1	0	1	1	0	0	33.3	23	11:37
319	Richard Panik 	22	TBL 	RW 	2	0	0	0	0	-2	4	0	30	15:03
340	Nate Thompson 	29	TBL 	C 	4	0	0	0	0	-1	0	0	46	11:36

Total/Average		25.6	-	-	9	32	57	89	32	12	97	10.9	2568	16:28
code:
Rk 	Player 		Age 	Tm 	GP 	W 	L 	T/O 	GA 	SA 	SV 	SV%	GAA 	SO 	MIN 
1	Martin Jones 	24	LAK 	2				0	7	7	1	0	0	56
12	Darcy Kuemper 	23	MIN 	6	3	1	0	11	127	116	0.913	2.03	1	325

8	3	1	0				0.918	1.73	1	381
Woulda won the cup with that team, obviously. Or choked after losing Vlasic to injury.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I'll give you a big loving hint...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Where's your goalie?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

Where's your goalie?

sleeping.

He played exactly as many playoff games as my second choice (Bishop), who would have been a much better pick.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
new thread? do signups?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

new thread? do signups?

The doldrums of summer are settling in, I'm down but we need to be clear on the purpose/end game this time. It was a pretty serious let down after we finished drafting and all just sorta said "well your team looks okay I guess."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

The doldrums of summer are settling in, I'm down but we need to be clear on the purpose/end game this time. It was a pretty serious let down after we finished drafting and all just sorta said "well your team looks okay I guess."

The purpose is e-peen. tiny tiny e-peen

I guess we never got around to going 'hey your team is poo poo woooow' but there's always time to review stats from next season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

The purpose is e-peen. tiny tiny e-peen

I guess we never got around to going 'hey your team is poo poo woooow' but there's always time to review stats from next season.

When this was originally conceived the idea was to plug all the rosters into EHM/FHM and see what happened. However FHM turned out to be a piece of hot garbage and nothing ever came from it. I built a dynamic young team thinking I'd be competitive seriously in 2 or 3 years, not a win now veteran superstar team. If I'd thought points and goals for 2013/14 had been the only goal I'd have taken players like Iginla, Thornton, etc. and not Tyler Toffoli.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eh, fwiw I has fun with the research aspect of it and enjoyed the educational opportunity. Didn't mind how it ended.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

Eh, fwiw I has fun with the research aspect of it and enjoyed the educational opportunity. Didn't mind how it ended.

I did too this was tons of fun. I don't even care if we all just compare rosters again, I just want to be clear on what we're doing so I know what my draft strategy is.

e: If we do do this I think it would be fun to be able to trade draft picks. We could add compensatory picks after the whole thing is done if someone trades two picks for 1 (i.e someone trades the 29th and 99th overall picks for the 15th overall pick, then once all the teams are done there is a mini draft of the remaining players for people with less players than everyone else to make sure everyone has the same size roster). It'll be fun to see who values top end talent over depth.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 3, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
we should honestly just have every team get fully constructed, open it up to argument for a week or two (can get a lot of mileage out of this) and then hold a vote for "best constructed nhl team" taking into account pretty much all factors, present and future

a better way to accumulate people's rosters and stuff would be nice though. i never really participated in the final presentation and construction because by the time we got there, i had burned out on drafting canucks echl third liners

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Even though we didn't end up doing it, I think trying to fill out a NHL and minor team was too ambitious. I think we should just stick to a 23 man roster this time, or maybe a little larger than that if you want to have a few slots for prospects and theoretical injury callups.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think we can just assume that non-prospect fourth liners will be signed to fill out our rosters.

I wouldn't mind doing something with he rosters once we're done, but I enjoy the draft process for its own sake. Gives a sense of how everyone would build their teams, what priorities they have, and colors my perception of some of their posts because I have a better sense of where they're coming from. And its fun to talk hockey.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
also i got into a discussion about brad boyes being in russia with someone and i was right and they were wrong. get hosed idiot

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
so who wants to put in the effort to start this

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Where will we find an enemy of complacency?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

I'll start it up in a day or two. We doing all the same rules as last time then?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Im in to once again draft the worst team in history

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Same rules sounds good to me

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Faster kicking out of people who aren't picking in a timely fashion would be helpful.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In as usual.

eXXon posted:

Faster kicking out of people who aren't picking in a timely fashion would be helpful.

Yes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Context sensitive timing? 6 hours to make a pick if it's between 10am and 10pm EST? 12 hours otherwise. I know there are some Euros who did this last time, but most are still probably from NA. We can give Euros a pass as long as they're reasonable. Really, just don't consistently be slow and that eliminates a lot of the problems we had.

I changed a few things. We really tailed off when we got to the AHL guys, so I've settled at 25 picks. You still need a minimum of 12F, 6D, 2G, but you could assume that your team will sign GENERIC AHL/NHL PLUG to fill out your fourth line if you want to get prospects. The other big change is that you can draft anyone who is property of an NHL team. That means no AHL only contract guys, but it also means you can draft NHL-drafted prospects who have not been signed yet. For salary cap purposes though, we'll assume any unsigned guys sign for the appropriate ELC (I'll link the cba stuff for that).

Those changes ok? Should cut the draft earlier, but add in an interesting wrinkle.

quote:

Blatently stolen OP: Fantasy Draft ROUND TWO

30 goons, first come first serve. You pick your team and act as its drafting GM.

This is a fantasy draft which means you are drafting your team from all current players who are the property of an NHL team. Prospects playing in leagues other than the NHL ARE ELIGIBLE (if they are the property of an NHL team). You are going to draft a team any way you'd like, whether it's to spend little and have a team of young guys for the future, or a stacked older team to win now.

The draft order will be snaking and randomly chosen, and as players are picked, I will be updating the OP with the results so we can all see who's been picked. This requires research behind each pick, really. I mean it's a lot harder than it seems, especially when you reach the later rounds. You can pick ANYBODY (within the rules). It's demanding, but if we go slow and have fun, it doesn't matter how long it takes. Just keep in mind: hurry up if you can.

What makes this fun? With each pick, you will explain your pick. Why did you choose this player and what kind of team are you trying to build? And after each pick, we're all free to rag on you for picking Matt Stajan to be your second-line center.

RULES
1. Again, only players that are "property" of an NHL team are allowed to be drafted.
2. We are drafting based on an NHL salary cap of $69 million.
3. YOU HAVE 6 HOURS TO MAKE YOUR PICK if it is between 10am EST and 10pm EST, 12 hours otherwise. You have the right to PM me and ask me to announce your pick in the thread for you, or to ask for a small extension, or to present a list of players you would want if you are unable to be present for the pick, but if you don't communicate with me and lose your pick, a pick will be made for you as a consensus of myself and two other neutral parties. This pick will be kept with your current team and situation in mind. IF YOU MISS THREE CONSECUTIVE PICKS, YOU WILL BE KICKED FROM THE DRAFT, and the first person on the waiting list will take over for you.
4. You must, to some degree, explain your pick to keep everyone involved and encourage discussion.
5. Abide by general roster rules, in that you'll have a 23-man NHL roster, requiring two goalies, twelve forwards, and six defensemen, at the least. Also the minimum cap applies.
6. NO MENTIONING UNDRAFTED PLAYERS. Only discuss current picks and in context of previous ones.
7. BE COMMITTED. PLEASE. If you don't think you're going to be able to do this thing (it's long-winded and daunting), be a bystander. Please.

Any other rules or ideas you guys have before we start, bring them up here. But now is the time to sign up!

TEAMS

EAST

Toronto Maple Leafs --
Ottawa Senators --
Montreal Canadiens --
Buffalo Sabres --
Boston Bruins --
Florida Panthers --
Tampa Bay Lightning --
Carolina Hurricanes --
Washington Capitals --
New Jersey Devils --
Pittsburgh Penguins --
Philadelphia Flyers --
New York Islanders --
New York Rangers --
Columbus Blue Jackets --
Detroit Red Wings --

WEST

Winnipeg Jets --
Nashville Predators --
Chicago Blackhawks --
St. Louis Blues --
Calgary Flames --
Colorado Avalanche --
Minnesota Wild --
Vancouver Canucks --
Edmonton Oilers --
Anaheim Ducks --
Dallas Stars --
Los Angels Kings --
San José Sharks --
Phoenix Coyotes --

I'm gonna pick up the franchise hockey manager and run the teams through that as well, but as last time, this is really just for fun. Don't draft to game that (apparently) broken program.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Same teams as last year pretty much or are we claiming new ones? Either way I'm sticking with the Blue Jackets.

I think this deserves a new thread too considering this one is already 156 pages long.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Same teams as last year pretty much or are we claiming new ones? Either way I'm sticking with the Blue Jackets.

I think this deserves a new thread too considering this one is already 156 pages long.

Oh, yeah I'm making a new thread. Just wanted to post here first because I made some changes.

I'd say you can pick new teams if you want, but priority goes to whoever had the team last time.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I don't know if I like the idea of not picking fourth liners and picking unsigned draftees, but I'll survive.

e: also just let people pick teams as last time

In as the San Jose Scotts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think ianss/brodeur's fanny pack isn't in this time so I'll do the Devils.

Yeah I would prefer we fill out the entire roster but if the consensus is the other way that's cool. Most 4th line/scratches are going to be unfilled because why take a plug when you can take a prospect.

• Locked thread