Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I can put up with Index because any time I get a bug up my rear end to watch any of it, I skip to the episodes where Accelerator is going COMPLETELY BATSHIT INSANE and feel like I get my fill. Seriously, his japanese voice actor has "crazy" down to an artform, I'm amazed that person can still do work because it sounds like he's destroying his vocal cords faster than David Hayter trying to do the Old Snake voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8PEqI-YVvw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

But she sounds seventy. :(

Maaaaaaaaybe in Japanese she does, but I don't think I've heard this pulled off well in a dub (not saying all dubs are bad). She's supposed to be a kid, at any rate, so I don't mind her sounding like one. Either way she's a teleporting little creeper.

I don't find the Index dub to be offensive, in fact I find it to be actually pretty enjoyable. I was more worried about Accelerator's casting. I don't think there's an English-speaking VA in the business right now that can recreate what the original actor did for Accelerator, but I did find that the guy they picked did a pretty good version of everyone's favorite sister-killer.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This episode made me immediately go and reread a couple of the english Railgun manga book releases that I own. I cannot WAIT for this poo poo to get animated, if this episode is any indication of the quality we're in for.

I'm also going to say as a warning to anyone who hasn't read the manga yet for whatever reason, but they're in this thread watching the show: DON'T READ THE MANGA. It's not bad or anything, I like it quite a bit. There's just some amazingly badass stuff coming up that I think will be a lot more awesome to witness animated if you don't already know what is about to happen.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

arhra posted:

The key question of course, being whether Shiki can kill Accelerator.

Death is a vector :smugbert: :getin: but can Accelerator kill servants as quickly as shiki??????

I am goddamned excited for the next couple episodes. So far, this season of Railgun has pretty much blown every other animated adaptation of the franchise out of the water, and hopefully the introduction of ITEM keeps up the quality.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Parpy posted:

I don't dislike them but, ugh. So much good material to work with in volumes 6 and 7 and yet we're getting more of them? Goddammit. That was my biggest gripe about season 1.

The thing about the brat pack that follows Misaka around is that they provide the Railgun series its own set of consistent side characters. One of the advantages of Railgun compared to the Index shows is that we get some time to actually flesh out characters besides out main heroine. To me they make the show more interesting by acting as a part of the overall world-building, and hey if you have a thing for moe that's being served up too.

Railgun is generally superior to Index to me because I think it does a better job at presenting Academy City to the viewer. Index is just all over the goddamn place. I rewatched S1 of Index after picking up the DVDs, and its astounding how fast the show's pace is. Outside of the Sisters arc and Accelerator, it's hard to get invested in the events of the show because it always feels like I'm getting the cliff's notes of some already very short light novels.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Joshlemagne posted:

Mainly the fact that when he shows up in the first season Misaka reverts from being a strong, competent lead character into the terrible harem member she presumably is in Index (don't know since I haven't seen it but that's the impression I got).

She's nowhere near as important in the Index anime or light novels as she is in her own shows/side stories. At best, she's an interesting side character who occasionally visits violence on Touma (just like every other girl in the show). Our first introduction to her is basically in passing, then we don't care about her for like half the first season until the Sisters arc begins. After Sisters runs its course in Index S1, she's reduced to cameo appearances during non-important sequences while the real poo poo is happening elsewhere. She returns to some form of prominence during Index S2, but again is far from the actual focus on the plot.

I get that Touma has a lot of issues as a character that make him unenjoyable, but I'm not sure I'd just toss the 'harem' label at the Index series. The focus on the show is a lot less on 'WHAT GIRL IS TOUMA GONNA GET WITH?' (thats more of a rabidly obsessed creepy fanbase sort of thing) and more of 'WHEN IS TOUMA GOING TO PUNCH THE JESUS OUT OF SOME ARC VILLAIN'S ILLUSIONS?' They make a joke or two at Touma's expense on how his arm is cancelling the strings of fate the tie people to eachother (and therefore is the reason why women feel attracted to him), and as you can expect in anime there's a lot of really unfortunate and inexcusable fanservice. However, the blushing-tsundere girl harem antics make up a significantly smaller part of the Index series than Punching, Accelerator Killing The gently caress Out Of Someone, and Generically Heroic Speeches/Moral Preaching.

Index would be a lot more tolerable as a show in general if they gave every story arc the sort of attention that the Railgun arcs have seen. Railgun S2 is basically going to be the definitive animated version of the Sisters arc because of how well they actually build up just how horrible the experiment is, how much they build up Accelerator before we even really get to 'meet' him, and how much world building and character development has occurred in general. My first experience with the franchise came from watching Index seasons 1 and 2, so when I was told just how much light novel content they had managed to adapt into the season, it explained a lot of why everything about the series felt so drat rushed.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

Or maybe Index is just a mediocre show with some moments of bad writing. I don't think it's really 'kill everyone involved' bad, even from a sexism standpoint. Maybe my standards are really low from years of anime, iunno.

The blog would be extra meaningless if it didn't try to villify the writers for Misaka's fairly innocent crush (while simultaneously giving the overall show a pass for having cute girls doing cute things while beating up "men").

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

Going through the blog, I think the blog writer is the sort of person who thinks having any heterosexual romances at all is sexist.

I mean, Misaka's crush is pretty dumb in my opinion, but it's not because it's a girl crushing on a dude, it's because her and Touma rarely have much of a dynamic going and she basically has a crush on him from the instant they meet without any sort of development - even just a small little moment where she realizes she likes him. She just kinda jumps from 'go away' to 'go away, b-baka.' That seems like something the reviewer would want to point out if they're attacking the wish fulfillment angle.

I think the "small moment" is basically "shattering her illusions something something you don't have to die *touma-punch*", but I get you. I'd still say it all started off about as innocent as can be (younger kid attracted to older kid), but then they actually went through some poo poo together and things progressed from there.

The railgun series does a bit more to try an justify their connection. Touma's not like most of the males she's run into at Academy City. He's twice as dumb but earnestly sweet in an endearingly inadvertent way. He's simultaneously stood up to her while also standing up for her at what we have now seen to be the absolute worst time of her life. It is a far sight better than being propositioned for Horrorshow Level 6 Clone x Woodchipper Experiment or dates with men who look three times her age (either because they really are three times her age or because it's easier to make throwaway thugs look like rejected character designs of badguys from Final Fight).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Phobophilia posted:

The thing is, Academy City has alot of enemies. This kind of Mad Unethical Science can't be rare, the scientists have broken alot of eggs to make their omelette. It's inevitable that some of those eggshells are sharpening knives and looking to make an opening. Maybe Mikasa should exploit that. Sure, she'd be betraying her homeland, but at this point they started it and she'd be emotionally justified bringing death and anarchy to the city that used her.

Emotionally justified maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe. I think you're forgetting that she has been doing everything in her power to not be a monster to stop a monster. It's obvious that the whole experience is hurting her on every conceivable level, but she's still trying to avoid causing undue casualties, and DOESN'T want to be a murderer to get what she wants. She's already sickened at the thought of what the murderer she's trying to stop is doing to her clones.

Put it into perspective: Accelerator has killed over 10k clones, right? If she helped "burn the city to the ground", either by her own hand or by engineering a means that others could use to do so, she'd be affecting millions of lives, and as awful as Academy City's dark side really is, not everyone living there deserves to have what would happen if the Magic side (or the whole world really) got carte blanche to stomp the place into a carpet stain. This is all generously assuming she could even gain enough influence to set such a thing up to begin with. The whole point of Misaka's actions is that she's trying to stop an rear end in a top hat from being an rear end in a top hat and to save lives, not to become an rear end in a top hat and get more people killed so she can feel emotionally secure.

The problem here is that, unlike Touma, Misaka is depicted having her ideals and abilities tested to such an extent that there IS no easy solution, there IS no win button, there IS no scenario in which people aren't getting killed over the experiment. Everything she's doing is systematically being undone or ignored, because at the end of the day she's ONE Level 5 against a city that made her what she is, and she's so far removed from being the biggest cheese on the block it's actually kind of sad. She's breaking under the pressure and doesn't want to be. She hinted about what she might end up being driven to do, was given an answer that would crush absolutely everyone involved BUT the bastards who actually got the ball rolling to begin with. Kuroko, of all people, told her to her face that if it came down to the safety of the city, or her "love" for Misaka, the city came first. Not because she supports what's going on, but because the city is full of people that Judgement protects, innocent people who aren't involved with whatever Misaka is fighting.

If the only solution to Misaka's problems is to somehow ruin the lives of hundreds, thousands, or even millions of innocents, it's not an action she could bring herself to take. That's why she ultimately makes the choice she does: She's not Accelerator.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dan7el posted:

So, I watched Episode 14 and then the same original Index. There were a few differences, but only minor. They could've used the same exact footage. There were no massive point of view angles that would've been missed either way. I'm interested to see how the next couple of episodes handle the scenes from Mikoto's POV.

The focus on Mikoto's emotional state throughout her conversation with Touma (as well as the acting for her) is huge. Not even exaggerating, go back and watch these episodes again. When we see Mikoto in Index, she's nowhere near as distraught so far as we're allowed to see. She gets to play the role of the bratty super-powered side character who people got REALLY fixated on. We don't see anything in Index that really truly sells just how terrible the situation is for her, and most of the time that she DOES appear in Index, she's either being a huge loving brat (like every girl is to Touma because lolanimecharacterization), or she's struggling to form words because she's around this guy she likes who, as we're finding out in greater detail with Railgun S, played a significant role in putting a stop to a nightmare that she feels directly responsible for creating.

Reivax posted:

It's still got the same flippant, irrelevant tone as most of the series.

I think you're giving a bit too much credit to the craziness of some characters while ignoring the actual dark poo poo that has been constantly implied throughout this season (and Index and the first season of Railgun in general) in order to try and make a point.

Railgun S has spent the better part of a whole season repeatedly mashing into the heads of the viewers that Academy City Is hosed Up. Hell, season 1 of Railgun should have done this, but I guess the happy J-pop and fact that it's Mikoto saving the day made people forget that the big plot of the season revolved around kidnapping children to force them to grow new abilities through drugs, and then the repercussions of putting a stop to said plot, with the further implication of "Boy, if you thought that poo poo was hosed up, man Academy City does this sort of thing ALL THE TIME. Also, Telestina is a Huge, Crazy Bitch. Oh, and this one time, Kuroko was crippled by this one dickhead during a bank robbery, the guy was like in his forties and doped up something fierce, nooooot creeeeeeeeepy."

The thing is, with the first season of Railgun, Mikoto MADE herself a part of the plot of her own volition. She saw some injustice and worked to fix it with her friends through the means available to her. Outside of her friends potentially being affected, she didn't have a billionth of the emotional involvement as she does with the Sisters arc. Unlike with the first season, the entirety of the Sister's Arc is possible because Mikoto willingly gave her DNA map to Academy City scientists. Granted, she had no idea that it would lead to that, but seeing what her decision has lead to has, unwittingly, put her in the same position as Kiyama Harumi from Season 1. She even tells Mikoto prophetically that they are very much alike.

Unlike Harumi, Mikoto is not willing to do "whatever it takes" to stop the experiments, which is the thing that ultimately makes Harumi an arc villain (regardless of the actual good of her intentions) and Mikoto the heroine.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Reivax posted:

You're right that the seedier, dark side of Academy City was always there, but it's not given much notice. In many ways I think this makes it more effective, a shame that it isn't properly explored. The omnipresent gangs, the brutal human experimentation, the threat of sexual violence against the heroes, the heavily armed police (some of whom moonlight as school teachers), the paramilitary child-police, all of these thing are there, in almost every episode, but are glossed over. It's accepted that they exist, and are a part of everyday life, despite the fact that they clash with the utopian, always sunny image of Academy City.
The problem is that these dystopian aspects aren't much explored. They'll appear in an episode, but not a lot of thought will be put into them after the fact. Banri is saved from Harumi's inhumane experiments, but it's never talked about afterwards, and everyone is happy and cheerful. I'm happy that they are exploring this in detail beyond simply setting up Touma's latest punch-bag, as I think that the original Index version lacked a lot of the emotional depth.

It should be noted that the Railgun manga doesn't really give Harumi a chance to redeem herself, so far as I've read. That whole second half of the first Railgun season is basically original content mixed with some stuff that actually happens to a degree in the LNs, IIRC. I don't even recall seeing Telestina in it at any point.

I think a number of the issues you are complaining about are given plenty notice enough. The majority of Railgun S1 is more or less dedicated to how hosed up the Level Upper situation was (and it has after effects felt throughout Index in retrospect). Judgement (and the military/police) are basically a response to the failed results of the human experimentation that even made Academy City possible (though most of the people don't know that). If Academy City wasn't involved with experiments that were essentially failing to turn people into superhuman monsters and then releasing them into the streets after they failed their tests, we wouldn't even have the Railgun side stories in their current form.

Plus, I think we get an idea that AC is super hosed up throughout Index as well. The Sisters arc still happened, and there basically everything to do with Accelerator (which I think is our first official meeting with the Kihara family's unique brand of crazy and "KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-KUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!"). Thing is, the Index series also throws a lot more focus on how awful the magic side is. For reference, see every episode where the Magic side is involved with something that is really bad.

The original Index anime are very poorly paced (and widely considered thus for many good reasons), which is a shame because the Railgun shows have been able to do a much better job of fleshing out the story arcs and the actual world Academy City inhabits. I'd love for the Railgun S2 animation team and director to do a renewal of Index as a whole, because I think they'd do a much better job with it.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 14, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JosephWongKS posted:

Do we know for sure that Shinobu is an esper? She disposed of those thugs in the abandoned building with psychology and great acting skills, and when she was found hacking into the Sisters' computer network with an emotions software package, she fought back with a gun instead of esper powers.

She is not an esper whatsoever, just an amazing actor by the standards of the universe (that and the guys she used "critical" on were all dumb as bricks).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Phobophilia posted:

God drat it Touma maybe you should explain your brilliant plan before you stood in front of a bolt of lightning. If you really intend to punch someone out you should wait until your muscles aren't in painful spasms.

This is the problem. I stood up a bit when Kuroko suddenly decided to involve herself, but nooo, she stands down because she's not allowed to be involved with the story and some vague ~promise~ she made some time ago. gently caress that noise, this is a character defined by being Misaka's best friend, she should be all over this poo poo. And besides, every single other arc beforehand was solved by the power of friendship: Uiharu and her memory chip, Saten and her baseball bat. This should have been no different, but nope, this is Touma story and by god we're going to ruin all the effort put into Misaka's story if we have to.

Another way Misaka could have tried to resolve it: use those ability down speakers on Accelerator, put a cap in him. Or not, there'll probably be some bullshit about Accelerator blocking the sound waves/vectors or something. Nevermind that idea. Idiot Touma to the rescue.

The Index stories were written well before Railgun was, so changing the outcome (or how we get to the original outcome) of the Sisters arc significantly just to please some disgruntled fans doesn't really sound like a good idea, considering how many people actually do like Touma. For me, I'm kinda neutral on him. He has his moments where he does cool stuff, and in a show where people can literally throw buildings like pillows, teleport, erase your memories and make you eat all the twinkies, disintegrate things at the atomic level, be really good at bombs or finding people, or ignore physics, it's actually fitting that there's a character who's special ability is to negate all that magic bullshit with a punch.

We could just as easily assume that Mikoto understandably doesn't want to involve anyone from her circle of friends. This is a bit different from joining the amateur young justice hour whenever you feel like it because you have nothing better to do as a person who flings arcade tokens at light speed. She's openly challenging forces that she now knows will make people disappear if they are challenged, forces that have hired another Level 5 and her friends to try and make that happen. Forces that she inadvertently assisted with mass murder. Mikoto might (heavy emphasis there) be able to resist the city like this (until capacity down gets used, like you've suggested), but nobody else she knows would have lasted very long against the likes of Meltdowner and company being ordered to silence them.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Insurrectionist posted:

This is a false dichotomy though. If there was no way to do that storyline without killing the narrative, then don't do it. If it was inevitably going to have a boring cop-out ending then the choice to not have that storyline at all is the right one. I mean, I hate Touma but if he'd actually have been a part of the narrative and story prior to the ending, it wouldn't really have been that bad. But he wasn't, and as such the resolution to this story is awful.

As for your point about powers, that is true, but it doesn't change the fact that the writer goes out of his way to come up with ways for Touma's ability to always be the solution to whatever power he's facing, while contriving to find stupid and ridiculous reasons for why other characters' powers can't be. Plus the whole 'Touma has an obvious weakness (non-magical/esper threats) that somehow hasn't caused him to lose once in however many fights he's been in'.

The narrative hasn't been killed. It was always going to lead to this point. The narrative for this particular arc has always been:

- even super powerful people need help sometimes

- even super powerful people need punching

- Mikoto, you are not a bad person for having given your DNA to scientists when you were like five years old

- Also, that guy you kinda like and at the same time are frustrated with because you don't understand his ability is actually kinda cool and has put his life on the line for you, despite the fact that you have been kinda bitchy and tried to cut him with a sword made of iron sand a month ago, and despite the fact that you feel complicit in the sort of monstrosity you actively fought to stop not too long ago

The biggest change to this arc is a shift in perspective. That's it. Where as in Index, Misaka was willing to get herself killed, it's presented as a drastic solution from Touma's perspective, who has no idea of what Misaka has been doing to try and stop this (and neither does the audience, because we never see any of what we've seen in Railgun, at all). We just see a girl who has decided it's time to die, which from Touma's perspective probably makes her a lot like those clones who are so willing to continue these experiments knowing they are going to die. In Railgun, we are actually seeing how and why this popular bit character was actually driven to the brink of suicide.

The writer does a lot to justify anything any of the characters do or don't do, not necessarily because it makes the most logical sense, but because he's writing the story he and many fans enjoy. Touma gets a lot of that, but he's kinda the main character of the whole franchise. The Sisters Arc might be Misaka's story to a great extent, but it's taking place in an already existing framework, and it has to fall into that framework first (while also expanding on the Science side as a whole).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Insurrectionist posted:

These three are all fine in theory, but the execution is horrendous when the person helping her is someone who up until this point has been barely seen and been completely unimportant narratively.

You're still pretending Touma isn't important to this particular arc in Railgun just because you don't like him, and are ignoring the fact that Railgun is a side story to Index, where Touma is the main character, and this is originally the Index arc that really introduced Misaka to the audience as an important secondary character as opposed to being just background clutter. You can pretend the Index side of the franchise is totally unnecessary, and that you don't NEED to actually pay it any mind whatsoever, but Railgun S is adapting one of (if not THE) most popular arcs in the whole franchise from the perspective of Misaka. It is still telling the Sisters Arc, not the Friendship and J-Pop Solves Misaka Clone Mulcher Problem This Time Around Arc. As far as most of the people watching the show are concerned, Touma has shown up in Misaka's life multiple times already, and is an important factor in events around Academy City. If anything, this is the 'moment' that actually explains the bond between both characters.

The problem really IS a "not enough power" problem. We've seen everything that drove her to so casually suggest getting herself killed in the original telling of the events, and it is as dire as it ought to be. She's gone from being the hero in her first season to confronting a problem that she is at the core of, the scope of which is far worse than anything she's ever encountered. Misaka is not strong enough alone to solve this problem. She's not strong enough to stop Accelerator, she's not able to undo anything that has been done. She's up against a city that is supporting everything she's fighting against and made people like her possible. She has been trying to take this on alone because she's afraid of what her friends would think of her, she already blames herself for what has happened. She also doesn't want them to get hurt or dead. However, it's plainly obvious by this episode that she doesn't have the ability to do this alone.

In retrospect, this arc makes every single arc preceding this one dumb, because SHE HAS ALREADY LEARNED THIS LESSON. She should know that if she needs help she has friends who can help her! Except if we want to come up with in-universe reasons why she should or should not do this to satisfy our personal preferences, we can come up with hundreds for and against calling in the friendship brigade. She just spent three episodes in this very arc fighting good reasons as to why she SHOULDN'T, but its totally okay to ignore all that if you want.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Reivax posted:

A problem in nerd media is this weird adherence to 'canon.'

Oh come on. This is exactly like people who write actual fanfiction complaining that the creators aren't acknowledging their personal preferences. I wanted Piccolo and Vegeta to be the main characters of DBZ too, once.

quote:

Nate RFB is right in saying derivative works shouldn't be slavishly adherent to canon, and should instead be made to work on their own merits.

It's a small part of something much greater written by the same author of Index, helping flesh out multiple characters, with the specific intent of showing an alternate perspective to events that as far as the franchise is concerned, have already happened. At most it really is just fanservice. Well done fanservice that has, in my opinion, done a great job of illustrating how Misaka got to that moment on the bridge on Touma, and why their relationship is the way it is throughout the entire franchise. She really likes the guy an awful lot, and is willing to go through a lot to help him out. Where as in the original arc, we don't see why she's driven to accept his assistance, this show has put it up with almost excruciating detail.

There's no actual rule that says it's a bad thing that a strong (female) character to accept help from a weaker (male) character, which is what I think you're so close to saying you may as well spit it out. Characters and stories can operate independently expectation and still be good and/or entertaining, be it expectations of an entire fanbase, or a small portion of it.

quote:

Railgun up until this point was series that could be watched completely independently of Index, but this latest episode drags it kicking and screaming back to canon, which weakens the story considerably. Touma is the main character in Index, Mikasa is the main character in Railgun. My argument isn't so much that Index shouldn't exist, it's that Railgun can be its own work and stand independently of Index.

Railgun has never been wholly independent of Index, for better or worse, and the show hasn't been "dragged back to canon", it's BEEN adapting canon for the majority of the season. You might be able to make that argument for anime-only content, but most of the first season and this second season have been focused on Misaka's perspective of events that have affected Index or have been affected by Index. Yes, you can enjoy Railgun by itself, but that doesn't make it entirely independent. I think that you'd be missing out on a lot of world building by cutting out Index entirely.

quote:

This isn't a documentary, a retelling of real events, it's fiction. It can be written any way he pleases. A certain level of contrivance is to be expected. I can easily suspend disbelief that the kitten chose to pull at the zipper and reveal the all-important documents at that particular moment, but when a peripheral character is suddenly the protagonist, stealing the spotlight. I think a lot of people forget that Touma and Mikasa aren't exactly buddies; he bumps into her a few times, is overly familiar, and is generally an arse. She has every right to be suspicious of this white knight Nice Guy.

Lets turn this around: As far as Touma knows, Misaka is a level 5 who apparently gets her kicks bending the rules in her favor. She's a vandal, and has been insisting on starting fights with him that he doesn't even want. I think you're forgetting that she has tried to beat the poo poo out of him, going to far as to make a sword out of sand and try to cut him with it to "prove" something to herself. And now he's discovered that she's involved in some sort of military clone program that is getting people killed horrifically by another Level 5. Touma has every right to be angry and suspicious of Misaka. I think you're forgetting all of that because it's okay for someone to do all of those things so long as it's a girl doing them to a guy. You've already expressed your "concern" for the violence towards fictional women throughout Index, so I think that would be fair assumption to make.

The only reason the current narrative is "toxic" to Railgun as far as you and people like you are concerned is that is isn't falling in line with what you WANT the series to be, which is something the series has never actually been.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ViggyNash posted:

Here's what I took from what you've said: Railgun is fanservice whose entire existence was designed to pander to Index fans.

That's exactly right. A Certain Scientific Railgun is, in fact, fanservice designed to pander to Index fans. Mikoto, the character who first appeared within the A Certain Magical Index series, got really popular because she's a tsundere school girl who wears SHORTS and not PANTIES and she BLUSHES ALL THE TIME around the also very popular main hero. However, she's also well liked because she's a REALLY POWERFUL school girl who also happens to be at the center of the best arc in the entire franchise. The Railgun subseries has always, from the very beginning, been tied to Index, and the anime has always been an adapation of something that has already been written. There's a lot of people who happen to enjoy both.

It has the benefit of being better paced, for sure, because it's not trying to adapt like five or more novels in a season. The action is also SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER DIRECTED. Like whoa it's not even close. There's very little in the Index shows that come close to most of what we've seen thus far in the Railgun series, which is a shame because on paper Index has scenarios that should be firmly in the Baddest Anime poo poo Ever club.

quote:

In that case, all I can do, as someone who hasn't watched Index and doesn't plan to, write the entire show off as pandering fanservice and completely ignore it. There is absolutely no way around it for me.

The entire argument so far has hinged on the difference in the perspectives of Index fans vs the perspective of people who haven't seen/read Index, but the ball is in the author's court. If she/he panders to fans, most of the latter will give up on Railgun. If she/he writes Railgun as an alternate continuity where Mikoto continues to be the lead character, then most of the former will get pouty and complain. Or at least that's the sense I'm getting from reading this thread.

This thread is not representative of the majority of fans who pay attention to this universe, unfortunately for it. The novels have sold like gangbusters relative to other japanese teen fiction stories because people really love the whole universe. I'm sure most people among them have characters they prefer, like or dislike, but the series has continued through and beyond it's original intended scope and even has spawned a sequel series that continues the story, and continues to add new characters and have existing ones grow and change. It even spawned the Railgun series.

It's really not the author's fault that you have no interest in anything else BUT the Railgun series. The fact that you don't actually know what's about to happen (or why it even happens, because your knowledge is limited to a very small portion of the overall shared universe) is actually kinda indicative of why at least knowing a little more about the overall story helps, and also points to the fact that the show really is aimed at fans of the whole franchise.

Besides, nix Index, and you also nix this, which is goddamn unacceptable to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMFQmvvAVI

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Falken posted:

The loving opening teases at the idea of Kuroko helping out Mikoto during her earlier battles in the arc.

Anime openings have been showing crap happening that looks really awesome but doesn't actually happen in the show proper since forever.

If shows actually followed their OPs as religiously as some fans want them too, Watamoto, for example, would be a VERY different show (it would be the best).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wolf on Air posted:

As far as I know he still needs his eyes to see where he's aiming, and even if he can bounce off the photons, he presumably can't be infinitely choosy about it, so he'd at least be blind and inconvenienced, giving you time to get the hell out of there.

Nope. He leaves his barrier on reflect by default, so he doesn't even need to see what hits him to reflect it, which is why he's so surprised that he's hit in the first place. He explains as much personally during one of the Index arcs. He does reflect bullets on a regular basis, and no matter how 'fast' his mind might be, unless everything else about him is superhuman, he's not seeing bullets. Presumably he can even program the barrier to allow things he needs to pass through, like the correct air content so he doesn't asphyxiate.

He really is a bullshit character at this point in the story, which is why certain things that happened during this episode are IMMENSELY SATISFYING.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Probably because she had a disproportionate amount of screen time and focus during this arc. I'm actually kinda shocked she doesn't show up in the manga again, considering they went out of their way to show she was fighting to save the sisters, too. I mean, she did something when she was on that computer, I can't just be told that Last Order blocked it and nothing happened. Stories don't just end in the middle like that.

Well, remember that until the Index Manga created the researcher character, she never existed so far as I'm aware. Her role in the story to really to emphasize how close to impossible it was to be resisting these experiments: the city itself is accommodating it, despite how horrific it is. They are willing to make people disappear in order to keep doing these things. Later in the manga we get to learn more about the people directly behind the Radio Noise and Level 6 Shift experiments, and calling them monsters is almost a compliment. Academy City's dark side is incredibly hosed up.

That said, the manga is still on an arc that happens alongside of another Index story line following the events of the Sisters arc, and there's always a chance that she'll show up again, maybe even as part of the current arc.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JosephWongKS posted:

Kuroko and Misaka are respectively Level 4 and Level 5 Espers, and have faced literal life-and-death situations in combat against overwhelming odds. Why are they so god-drat terrified of the dormitory supervisor? Is it just played up for comedy, or is the dormitory supervisor actually a secret Level 6 or something?

It's the goddamn dormitory supervisor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo2MuhGwOJw

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

I guess this is getting into Manga/LN Talk, but which chapters/scenes are you referring to? I'm current with the manga and read most/all of her stuff in New Testament I didn't get that impression at all. I could just be forgetting or glossing over something of course.

The recently released 8th Volume (in the US at least) of the Manga makes it pretty hard to think kindly of Mental Out, I can say that much.

I get that things change later on, but goddamn, there's "pushing someone's buttons" and then there's "taking a sledgehammer to all the buttons".

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know which specific chapters comprise the 8th volume, but if you're referring to (Manga, duh)her erasing Kuroko and company's memories of Misaka there were explicit reasons for doing so. At the very least this was born out of logic rather than megalomania.

Yeah, but the stuff in your spoiler presented in such a way that we don't really get that impression. (More manga talk) Our first introduction to Mental Out in both the Manga and Railgun S2 is her mindfucking the whole library and informing Mikoto that this is an actual option she'd consider using on her friends. Mikoto's response is basically a death threat. So in volume 8, Mental Out does it to Mikoto's best friends ever, and there's a really shady guy who sets it up as well which only makes it look worse. Without knowledge of later chapters, I'd be convinced that she was deserving a few illusions being shattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ViggyNash posted:

Do they really do this? Tell me they really do this... I really want to see that animated if they do.

Not only does this really happen, it shows off some REALLY creative trickery on the part of all the participants. It's actually pretty funny, and a good contrast to the stuff that happens later in the arc. I kinda hope they just drag out the esper olympics by adding more crazy events before we get thrust back into plotsville, in a mythical third season.

• Locked thread