Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

XboxPants posted:

I found Touma's "powers" way more interesting than "shootin' lightning & stuff". I really like interesting abilities/uses of powers - any opinions on whether I should try out the Railgun series?

I think you'd be surprised just how many uses you can get out of a little electricity. After all, she isn't called "The Railgun" because she just electrocutes people all the time.

Personally, I like to pretend that Railgun is the main story, and Index is the spin-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Srice posted:

Since Railgun has been licensed and is up on Hulu and such, I think the easy answer to that problem is whatever the official translation is using.

The official translations are kinda terrible, if you ask me. Biribiri is translated as "bugzapper", onee-sama is translated as "sissy".

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

How would you translate onee-sama? 'Elder Sister' doesn't work. 'Sis' and 'Big Sis' don't feel right, but maybe they're close enough? :crossarms:

I don't see why "Big Sis" or "Dear Sister" would be out of line for Kuroko, the problem is they use "sissy" every time anyone refers to Misaka as onee-sama. Including her sisters, which comes off as really out of place. But that's hardly the only odd translation choice. The Funimation scripts for Raildex are full of weird phrases and idiosyncrasies.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

A short timeline of my reaction to this episode:

Dawww she saved that kitty! :3:

Ahhh was that her loving leg?! :stonk:

Awww she really does like her big sister's present... :smith:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Cubemario posted:

Do they ever explain why they have those speech patterns?

"Because it's loving moé, that's why!" Redcrimson responds in sardonic tone.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I don't mind the filler in Railgun. Each character actually has a personality instead of being generic dumb anime heroes, so it's at least a little interesting.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I would actually love a filler episode where the gang runs into one of the Sisters and Misaka has to comically try to hide her from everyone like a bad sitcom episode.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

If they really did bring in Mikasa for anime filler, that'd make it the best anime filler across all of the Raildex seasons.

The titans are an Academy City project gone rogue! :science:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Relambrien posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of people mixing those names up.

Clearly, we should just refer to her as Biribiri to avoid confusion.

In the meantime, I'm gonna enjoy all the Misaka/Mikasa fanart:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

That is one of the things that I always found kind of laughable about the Raildex universe. There are a handful of super-powerful living weapons, complete with intimidating nicknames, roaming around the city, but no one ever recognizes any of them.

You'd think that even in a city full of super-powered psychic wizards, the seven people with enough power to level city blocks would have a little more exposure.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Honestly, a level 5 Kuroko would probably be story-breaker levels of overpowered. Crazy Esper on the loose? Just teleport him directly into an Anti-Skill holding cell. Problem solved.

Dan7el posted:

What's the deal with all the Kamijou Touma hate?

He completely loses his memory in the first arc of Index and it pretty doesn't affect his character at all. You know your character is bland when what amounts to a complete reset leaves him exactly the same. It's used more as an excuse for people to monologue exposition at him.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I dunno, I actually think this episode expanded on Misaka's character quite a bit. Generic harem hijinks aside, you get a good glimpse of just how much the Level 6 Project actually affects her emotionally. Particularly the fact that Misaka has begun to blame herself for the deaths of her Sisters, and questions whether or not she deserves a happy life. It's a much better set-up for her ultimate decision at the end of the arc, which felt incredibly forced and stupid in Index.

Also, I find it funny that Misaka's new plan seems to be destroying Tree Diagram, with the logic that Academy City couldn't possibly cover it up. Except that a certain dull gentlemen already did that accidentally and nobody gave two shits.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

When did feminism in fiction change from "Hey guys, could we maybe get some positive female role-models and a better variety of female characters?" to "Down with the evil Patriarchy! No mercy to the vile penis-bearers!"

Having an all-girl cast is feminist-positive now? With that kind of logic, Queen's Blade would be a triumphant work of female empowerment.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And the fanservice in the first season was never, ever as dumb and intrusive as it got in either Index season.

I couldn't make it past the Angel Fall arc. The writing was bad enough, but piling the fanservice on top of it was too much for me to take.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 25, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Oh, well... it fun while it lasted. Yay, more fanservice :negative:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I cannot express how disappointed I am that it is not called "A Certain Anime Wiki" :colbert:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

(13) Why were the Sisters okay with showing Touma all of the clones and explaining in blunt detail what happened? They gave the passcode check, he failed... and then they treated him like he should know about the experiment anyways...? Was it because of his cancelling ability?

Well, Touma does attract women for no good reason. Why should a horde of clones be any different?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Honestly, I think I'd be more disappointed if Misaka just solved everything on her own. Misaka is strong character, yes, but a good character also has flaws and limits. And it's pretty clear in this arc that Miaska has reached hers. Arguably, Misaka is in this position in the first place because she incorrectly assumed that she had to take the burden of her mistakes on all by herself. Part of the resolution is Misaka learning to rely on others because she can't be the hero all the time(unlike Touma, but gently caress him I'll get to that).

The only real problem I have with the resolution is that the character that Misaka ultimately confides in is Touma. A character that got maybe 10 mins of screentime in season 1. And while I realize the Sisters Arc was originally an Index arc, it feels incredibly dumb in Railgun. Misaka already has her own posse of sidekicks, but instead Touma just stumbles in and Deus ex Punchinas Accelerator in the face. I think the arc would have been great with literally any other character in Touma's place.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

The whole arc with this lady. It also served to wrap up Harumi Kiyama's story, which was also sort of left hanging in the manga.

Wait, the poltergeisting arc isn't in the manga? That was pretty much my favorite part of season 1.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 1, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

arhra posted:

Looks like we'll be seeing them in action one way or another if the new OP is any indication

Just like how Kuroko and Touma ported in to rescue Misaka from Meltdowner last arc? Oh, wait.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

HellCopter posted:

Speaking of - out of the seven Level 5 espers in the world, how many of them are not terrifyingly crazy and/or power hungry? I know that power corrupts, but we have "kill everything while laughing" Accelerator, "kill Misaka for a promotion" Meltdowner, and "mass mind control just to be a dick" Mental Out. Did Misaka win the "sane human being" lottery?

Her first thought after finding a guy who can negate her powers for no apparent reason is "I must fight you now :black101:" and trying to hack him to pieces with an electromagnetic dust-chainsaw. She might not be weapons-grade crazy, but she isn't really the most well-adjusted girl out there. She just happens to have a slightly less broken moral compass than the other level 5s.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

I still don't think the "talking to cats" girl is going to get too far even if she upgrades her ability to Level 5.

We'll see who's laughing when she sics a horde of panthers on you.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

This arc has me wishing Kongou and the swim team girls would get their own spin-off. A Certain Haughty Ojou-sama?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

So, random thought I had this episode: do you think Misaka can defibrillate her own heart like that guy from One Piece?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

They need to wait for them to activate so that they can track the location of Febri's sister. I mean, that's contrived too, but it's not "dumb" within the context of the plot.

STUDY also has Anti-Skill in their pocket, so if Misaka and crew initiated an attack, they would be apprehended long before they could destroy all the robots. Sure, you can still poke holes in the logic, but it is still a fairly reasonable conclusion.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, I've found the whole thing idiotic, as STUDY's entire motivation is bullshit.

Aritomi feels slighted because he's insanely conceited and convinced of his own superiority. It's not so much a bullshit motivation as it is painfully generic. The whole "I feel wronged by the world, therefore I will destroy the world" schtick is one of the laziest and most tired villain cliches out there.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 22, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

That episode was cheesy as gently caress. But I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing because it was completely awesome. Kongou seriously needs her own spin-off manga.

Also, sequel baiting during the end credits? Not cool, JC Staff. Not cool.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Clash of the Tsundere...

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Railgun is better because it has better writing. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Edit: Disclaimer - My familiarity with each only applies to the anime adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Well yeah, I'd file not having an overpowered self-insert escapist fantasy main character under "good writing".

I feel like Railgun just has better characterization, better story structure, and more clear-cut narrative goals than Index.

• Locked thread