Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I hope there's less Kuro-onee-sama and more Misaka-biri-biri this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's even harder than that because Onee-sama has lesbian connotations built in when used the way Kuruko does. These things simply don't carry over.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Something is almost always lost no matter how you translate it. It's why some translators go nuts with using different terms for the same words sometimes. It gets even worse when there's some sort of twist based on wordplay four volumes into the future.

I feel it probably doesn't matter that much overall to get it just right but it's still not an easy task (and can make you look silly in the future if something occurs that relies on a particular quirk of language).

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 21, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Misaka can literally see electrons. She's not a Level 5 for no reason. If she were merely powerful, she'd be a Level 4 because even her railgun isn't exactly unmatched.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

This arc is pretty much the peak of the entire franchise.

This arc is the only bit I'm interested in for the To Aru universe.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Incidentally, "Was it a cat I saw" was an amazing translation.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Healbot posted:

What if it happened in the main show years ago already?

I have never watched Index nor do I plan to ever.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Myurton posted:

Well I still think people should of watched Index by now considering it aired 5 years ago, but whatever not gonna argue against the rules even if I do think they are kinda silly.

Anyways I got a question, if that timeline is legit where the heck does the season 1 Railgun OVA fit in?

Some of us (like me) have never watched Index nor intend to. Railgun has been perfectly enjoyable as a standalone story so far.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fightest posted:

So what's the justification on Accelerator deflecting lightning bolts? Projectiles I can understand, but a lightning strike is a speed-of-light discharge. Considering that technobabble is apparently a thing in the source material, I'm wondering why he hasn't been fried yet.

Speed doesn't really matter. Not sure why you'd think it would. Accelerator can bend light since it has a vector.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zettace posted:

Because if he was actively deflecting things manually then he would need to calculate it faster than the speed of light. Then again, he might be able to do that because anime.

"Calculating faster than light" is a sentence that makes zero sense. One is a measure of time while the other is a measure of velocity.

You might instead say Accelerator needs to calculate faster than the time light takes to reach him but that's hardly impossible.

Some of our CURRENT modern CPUs can have internal ALUs running at 8GHz (any 4GHz Pentium 4) meaning light only travels about 2 INCHES in the time it takes for the CPU to switch once.

A superhuman who can calculate faster than super high tech super computers would be able to do it in the time it takes light to travel a couple meters through the AIM field.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 21, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

Neurons are much slower than modern transistors, it makes no sense he can stop light or lightning but that's okay because it's all basically magic anyway.

Neurons can't use ESP either.

You might as well argue that ESP is unrealistic. The whole point is "what if there's ESP and it's handled by super fast brain function?"

I brought up modern CPUs because I wanted to demonstrate that calculating something faster than light can travel a couple meters isn't something mind-boggling.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fightest posted:

I guess someone with ice powers could get him. He can't redirect energy gradients if they're not pointed at him, so freeze the moisture in the air around him and make a human popsicle.

He'd be absolutely fine. It's a temperature gradient but the actual flow of heat has a vector. Thermodynamics has nothing on Accelerator.

As for the nuke thing, if he were taken by surprise, Accelerator would probably suffocate before finding breathable air again but if he were ready, I don't see why he couldn't expand the protect zone beyond point blank to the point where he'd have a couple minutes of breathable air. He's such a broken character by definition that I sometimes get tempted to read Index to see why people seem to think he's an interesting character.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

The discussion here started with saying he needs to be faster than near-instantaneously. It needs to be faster than instantaneously even.
Otherwise some of Meltdown's or Misaka's power would hit him.

I demonstrated that fast as light is, it's nowhere near instantaneous. It's not beyond the reach of modern computers to do a few calculations in the time it takes light to travel a meter, much less some crazy super ESP dude. The speed of light only represents a roadblock to velocity.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

He either needs to begin calculation before the shot enters his detection range, or send his calculations backwards in time, or transmit information faster then light.
All of which are physically equivalent. All would be abilities that would be considered much more amazing then his vector control in a true hard science setting.

This is a world with magic and teleportation. The entire concept of ESP is a handwave in the first place. Being able to acquire information from his AIM field instantly (in violation of the light speed limit) is hardly a stretch.

Especially when we're talking about Accelerator who completely violates physics in the first place. The only thing that's necessary is for it to be internally consistent. The story establishes from the beginning that Accelerator will bend anything coming at him, period. If you want to kill catgirls, then that means he must be able to acquire information about incomings faster than light.

It's not like this is the only handwave done in Railgun (it's not really "hard scifi"). Misaka can see individual electrons. That's just as impossible as breaking the speed of light in our world (and not because we don't have a microscope powerful enough).

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 24, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Doesn't this fit in very well though the Schrodinger Cat explanation? Since she "observes" them, in effect she's able to manipulate them by observing them in the state she wishes them to be in?

Schrodinger's Cat is just a thought experiment about a different quantum quirk.

Uncertainty principle, however, literally means that if we try to observe something that small, we alter it in an unpredictable manner. The harder we try to observe accurately, the worse it is.

So to "know" the exact state of an electron, like Misaka does, requires "magic" or in this case, ESP.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

In Index it was brought up by one of the teachers as an explanation for ESP and how personal reality works.

It's just technobabble really. Clap your hands if you believe ;)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Her coins aren't even Misaka's full power. Remember first season when she said she could railgun any old metal lump?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Superuser008 posted:

I've always wondered why she doesn't dump the coins and get some lead coated DU balls or something like that.

The coins are self-limiting. They don't go very far before completely disappearing (from the heat) so if she fires her railgun using them and misses (or over-penetrates), they don't keep going on until it ruins someone's day.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Badass Mikoto wins even when she's tired and had fallen for a bluff. I like the shrapnel guard part.

Frenda is a prick.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Certain events in the manga so far indicate to me that she's likely just Misakasexual

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Railgun only viewer here and it was a good episode for me. I'm appalled at how backed into a corner Mikoto is. It's not even fair (obviously).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Meh, I find it great. I never watched Index but a hero of a story doesn't have to be the one who does everything.

I've not seen Index so maybe Touma does something to offend all of you but he's just another interesting character to me as a Railfun reader only.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Reivax posted:

To clarify, it's that everything Mikasa did was irrelevant. The experiments continue, the sisters continue to die. Then Touma comes and fixes everything. It's really bad writing, if only because the writers are so loyal to the story laid out in Index. In not deviating from that, it lacks closure. This is all independent of Index, which has far worse problems than Touma being a bit boring.

We'll just have to disagree because here we have a character who was able to take care of everything in season one but now is absolutely pinned into a corner despite all the best efforts and intentions. It's interesting to me because she doesn't have all the answers or the power to just wipe it away. She didn't really do anything wrong but in put in a horrible position (and it doesn't help that's she's just a middle-schooler in the end).

I'm reading the Railgun manga so I know the results of the next episode(s). Again, I'm wondering if some of you are simply too incensed at Touma for whatever he's like or did in Index because it certainly doesn't feel like Deus Ex Machina considering the results. Simply meeting someone who could help you isn't necessarily DEM.

quote:

^ Railfun is an amusingly descriptive typo.
Thanks, I deliberately left it there because I liked it too haha.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 14, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Which is something only Index viewers are saying. As a Railgun only viewer/reader, you guys just seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Watched the new OP again and I saw Shinobu in the breaking glass at the 35-second mark. Shinobu Rescue Arc here we go! :dance:

I would squee with joy if this happens.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Even in-story she's known as the only normal Level 5 but she's still a little off-kilter.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Kongou is still my favorite character. I'm glad the anime one and manga one is starting to resolve into one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Kuroko should let her hair down more and be less crazy.

• Locked thread