Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Parpy posted:

Well, that was quick. UTW's sub is up now! :woop:

Watched it. Loved that the entire episode was basically a set up to show off some badassery. First episode and we are already railgunning helicopters full of kidnappers from freefall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

nielsm posted:

I'd say she's an induction stove.

There was literally a scene like that in the last Railgun series.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

lodoubt posted:

This could be a pretty interesting fight coming up but *INDEX SPOILERS* Accelerator is well known to be quite a lot more effective with his ESP than Misaka. Usually, espers with broader powers can have their control overridden by someone at the same level with a more specific power trying to counteract them. Accelerator's power is about as general as I can even imagine, and he was able to disperse/reflect Misaka's lightning bolt. I mean we know they both come out of this alive somehow but I have a creeping suspicion that it isn't the evenly matched slugfest that might first come to mind. Like it's sort of inherent from Index that, while it might be VERY hard fought, Accelerator would eventually ruin Misaka in an all out fight. But I'm not actually sure now if she has any way to hurt him even under basically ideal conditions.

Alternatively I'm reading waaaay too much into what was probably a two frame cliffhanger at the end of a chapter.

He literally has plot armor. It takes Touma to punch it out of him and they later lobotomize him to take him down to manageable levels. I really like the arc behind it though. he is shown so confident in his abilities that he mostly plays with his victims, because he knows there is nothing in the world that can hurt him. Then he meets Touma, who is pretty much an out-of-context problem for ESPers, and loses because of his hubris. I just like that a show acknowledges that solving every problem with your special power leaves you vulnerable when you can't use it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Spoiler removed to avoid people being spoiled.

ArchangeI fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 18, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wili posted:

Episode 17. It also contains the Accelerator gives no fucks about walking on someone in the shower scene, which makes it pretty much the best episode ever. Every scene of that episode is great, really.

Is that the one where one of the sisters declares that it is time for a revolution against the cruel oppression of Last Order (i.e. stealing her night vision goggles)?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Relambrien posted:

I've never particularly liked or hated Touma; I just treat him as a device on which to dump the plot and I'm pretty okay with that. That said, seeing things from Mikoto's perspective makes him come across as a lot more of a godsend than he does from his own perspective (expectedly).

Mikoto is fighting against an entire city, with seemingly endless ability to completely ignore her attempts to stop their plans. She's completely at the end of her rope, she doesn't have a single ally in the world that can help her, and then all of a sudden this totally random guy steps in and is like "Yo I'm on your side, I'll handle this." Leaving the gender aspects of the whole thing aside, that's a pretty powerful moment. You have nothing, you're completely in despair, you have exhausted every single option available to you and you've resigned yourself to dying in a desperate bid to do something, and then someone tells you you were never alone in the first place.

If there actually is something to take away from seeing this from Mikoto's perspective, it's that no matter what kind of poo poo you're in, someone will be there for you. That someone may be a totally bland, one-note MC of a bad-but-entertaining series of light novels, but hey, it's someone :v:

This is what I took away from the arc as well. The message is "If you need help, it is okay to ask for help instead of being a typical Japanese and bearing the unbearable". Which is a message I don't think is all that bad.

quote:

The biggest problem I have with Touma taking the role of the savior is that there's no reason other than narrative necessity that he should be able to play that role. All things considered, he shouldn't be able to resolve this arc, but he has to, and so the arc is written to fit. I don't think that, in general, there's necessarily anything wrong with someone other than the MC solving the main problem of a story. But the character who does solve it should at least have some value that makes it worth them doing so, and Touma doesn't really have that.

Frankly I think the fight between Touma and Accelerator is more about Accelerator than it is about Mikoto. Accelerator has been literally untouchable for god knows how long, and then a random level 0 street punk come along and punches him in the loving face. It is a defining moment for him, particularly because it is just a random rear end level 0 punk (protagonist status notwithstanding). losing against Mikotot would be a simple "well she is a Level 5 beating another Level 5, no big deal after all".

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Reivax posted:

Point. The last you see her is climbing down into darkness isn't it?

What? No, the last you see of her is slung over the shoulder of a mook, presumably to be taken to the incinerator or a secret torture prison.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Just do one episode where a crack team of Sisters rescue her in a Daring Commando Raid. Bonus points if they deliver action-movie one liners in a flat monotone.

Spend the rest of the season on beach episodes if you must.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Kuroko's VA pretty much carried that episode by herself.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

veekie posted:

That is quite useful in weather hot or cold, I'd say. Nice cool shirt on a hot day or warm mittens in winter. It's not hurling lightning bolts, but it's probably more handy on a day to day basis.

Someone posted a fanfic earlier where she uses it to overclock her PC to insane levels and keep it cool.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

veekie posted:

Can't be helped really, any time multiple level 5s are involved it rapidly escalates to a huge clusterfuck.

I daresay this clusterfuck outstrips several earlier clusterfucks :staredog:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

The anime original arcs are a little formulaic but drat if they aren't satisfying to see Railgun [eventually] blow stuff up.

The volunteer police force doesn't keep hours after dark?

Anti Skill is the official Police force. But yeah, that threw me for a loop. "Welp, its after dark, the Police have closed shop, nothing you can do".

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wallrod posted:

To be fair, it seems like half of them are children and so need their sleep :v:

No, that is JUDGMENT. Anti-Skill was that long-haired woman in riot gear in that one scene. Although apparently they are also teachers for some reason.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
And the dream for A Certain Sarcastic Hivemind lives on. (Alternative titles: My Little Sister Is A Hivemind; My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be A Clone; Help! My Girlfriend Has 10000 Clones!)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

You've been playing with that LN Generator, haven't you?

There is a LN generator? Giving the plot away in the title is a staple in romantic comedy.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
In Anime news, I am currently speculating that Febri was an attempt to weaponize moe.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Loved her no hold barred battle with Kuroko for the title "Most Proper Lady In Academy City" a few episodes back. Also that I-Beam combo was awesome.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

They haven't QUITE ditched it completely. Misaka still does most of the heavy lifting (learning about Febri in the first place from Heaven Canceler, arranging a meeting with Telestina "Crazy McBitchTits" Kihara, figuring out that Shinobu is involved with Febri's creation and beginning to track her down, speculating that Meltdowner and her posse might be involved) in the episode. Still, she gave some of the load to the others, so it's a small step nonetheless.

I liked her "This is dangerous guys, if you want out this is the time" speech being completely ignored. Maybe that will finally hammer the message home.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wolf on Air posted:

And ultimately it all serves to push all the legitimate-target buttons. If (other than Nunotoba, who has earned sapience status) these villains were characters and not cardboard cutouts, I'd accuse them of deliberately studying just how hard you have to push the one Level 5 who's holding back because she's hesitant to kill (or occasionally because she finds it more sporting, i.e., she's playing with her prey, for those mistakenly still thinking she's the sole perfectly stable L5) in order to get the unrestrained Lightning of Justified Retribution shoved up your spinal column.

Index Spoiler: The only way that could backfire worse on them is if this arc was post-Last Order and MISAKA 20001 and Febri somehow became friends.

ArchangeI fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 14, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Aren't MISAKA 20001 and Last Order the same? (Light Novel Spoiler) Last Order and Fremea are friends. Is that where you're going? Looks like my guessing might be correct after all.

Yeah. But making Last Order upset makes Accelerator upset. And making him upset is never a good idea. Hence my comment that it would backfire even more spectacularly.

My pet theory for Misaka's reluctance to use the Kuroko express is that it requires physical contact, and she doesn't want to encourage Kuroko.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zettace posted:

Most of the MISAKAs have been shipped out already so there's probably only a handful left in the city

That's why they need airplanes. 10001st MISAKA Regiment (Airborne) deployment underway

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dan7el posted:

The only news, which I think has already been mentioned in this thread, is that Accelerator is getting his own manga. Otherwise, the latest light novel was released earlier this month. I imagine there will be another Index and also more Railgun animes in the future. Looks like a cash cow.

Its basically K-ON! with giant robots and explosions.

I'm not complaining.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

So that makes at least three potential spin-offs from the Railgun series (itself a spin-off of the Index series):

1. A Certain Sarcastic Hivemind (Sisters)

2. A Certain Haughty Ojou-sama (Kongou)

3. A Certain AMAZING Punch (Gunha)

Any others I've missed?

A Certain Obsessed Teleporter

A Certain Psychopathic Meltdowner

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

It is unfortunate that it seems to be dead, it could have gone places.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

I think the last episode was X-Men 3 level terrible. You have a bunch of untrained schoolkids with magic powers fighting thousands of robots that are significantly larger and stronger than they are, and what do they do? Fight hand-to-hand with no proper sense of self preservation, and not use their magic powers.

Not everyone has abilities that are immediately useful (or is a level 0), and the ones that did used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm just waiting for A Certain Magical Index: This Time Actually About Index.

Its a 4koma. Every frame has Index munching on various foods in the foreground while Touma punches various characters from the series in the background.

• Locked thread