Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like Index a lot because its pretty much the only thing outside of Marvel Comics that scratches my itch for Magic Vs. Science stuff.

I also like Railgun a lot because its kind of like Anime!NBCHeroes in its focus, plus the sort of an attempt at a shared universe between the two even if it isn't as large as the Nasuverse.

Then there's the varied and interesting characters (Last Order :3: and Accelerator :black101:) and the fact that there's virtually no powercreep which is amazing in of itself which I think should make up for the more "anime" aspects of the show that may turn people off from it.

And Misaka's and Kuroko's powersets are just awesome in their implementation. Seconding Teleport girl's voice actress as also pretty good to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I only saw desu translated whenever there was a pun going on.

How would you translate onee-sama? 'Elder Sister' doesn't work. 'Sis' and 'Big Sis' don't feel right, but maybe they're close enough? :crossarms:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For some reason I'm finding "dearie"/"dear"/"dearest" might be in character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Evil Thing posted:

I quite like this one, actually. It fits quite neatly into my impression of how she would talk in English.

If Kuroko was seventy, then sure.

Actually, don't forget that this problem need not crop up much at all. You hear "onee-sama" a lot because of the funky way Japanese grammar works, but you rarely use people's names in English conversation.

But she sounds seventy. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

Or you can use "honey"

Those work too.

Oh no no no that's so very wrong

I think mistress works but in the situations where Kuroko dials her crazed lesbianism to 11 or gets shocked into bliss. Otherwise it should be variations of Honey and/or Dearest as the situation calls for I think.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And today we finally have our shocking twist revealed!

In that Misaka finally gets to meet MISAKA and it looks glorious, I personally can't wait until we see Kuroko's reaction :haw:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Possibly really slight index spoilers in the vein of "the good guys win" but: Really wish we had this before Index concluded this arc because drat.

Probably actual Index spoilers so don't click if you haven't seen index yet or don't know how exactly it ends.: This arc is gonna give me quite the cognitive dissonance as I already associate Accelerator as redeemed albeit still quite murderous psychotic rear end in a top hat but at least he's our's, so seeing him be thoroughly evil again is gonna be nuts to my poor brain.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 11, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So are the MISAKA sisters still emotionally extremely young but with the intelligence of the network? MISAKA acts just as odd as I remember putting aside the speech patterns.

"A butterfly! Huehuehue..." :geno:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New episode, I never remembered Accelerator being this hosed up, so that's interesting, we got our shonen protagonist power up music riffing in the background so things are gonna be good I think.

Regarding Index: Index as a character I think has potential, being what she is and all and towards the end of season 2 I think they finally started to move on that; if they keep going that direction and speed up the pacing with her development I think it'll improve.

For me what I liked best about Index aside from the whole Magic vs. Science thing is its startling adherence to avoiding power creep.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AradoBalanga posted:

I have to :golfclap: the editor on that one. Just for coming up with all those names. That said, where does "Zappy Dan the Magnet Man" come from?

As for Index vs. Railgun, what turns me off to the former is how it handles an arc: Introduce 100 or so characters/set up the arc-->give two or three of the newly introduced people something important to do while ignoring the rest-->have Touma finish arc by punching something/someone/combination of the two-->ignore the 100 or so newly introduced characters for the rest of series to the point you question why they even were made in the first place. Railgun keeps the focus down to four people and a few side characters who drop in every now and again, so I can actually follow the plot and not be wondering who is who and why they are there in the first place.

This with good writing theoretically works to create a large interconnected story; suppose you introduce the MC and say 1-4 of his main co-protagonists. After that for an arc you introduce five more, but only 1-3 are relevant for the current arc, for fun you can even have 1-2 be villains. Arc ends, their main conflict is over, onto the next arc introduce another five characters; but now you have say, three characters from the previous arc who can now help the main character in this arc; and then shift the new characters in this arc to the next one like a Linked List, new character of any given arc only do some stuff now, but do most of their good stuff incrementally through newer arcs.

Five is probably too large a number but the idea of incremental the number of characters works so long as you keep recycling and rotating them in and out of main/side arcs, sort of like a linear version of DRRR.

Though 24 minute screen time might not be enough to really do this, so having spinoffs working in parallel like Railgun are great for this, Bleach is not unless you can commit to actually following through and focusing on other characters for a while.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Blhue posted:

Pretty much. Other than that spoiler, you'd need to use indirect means like poison or suffocation. I think Misaki might be able to hurt him if he were touching a conductive object and she sent an electric current down it, but that's the only situation where she could affect him.

There's some other stuff you can do and is probably why he isn't targeted the American's or something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ChronoReverse posted:

It's not like this is the only handwave done in Railgun (it's not really "hard scifi"). Misaka can see individual electrons. That's just as impossible as breaking the speed of light in our world (and not because we don't have a microscope powerful enough).

Doesn't this fit in very well though the Schrodinger Cat explanation? Since she "observes" them, in effect she's able to manipulate them by observing them in the state she wishes them to be in?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ChronoReverse posted:

Schrodinger's Cat is just a thought experiment about a different quantum quirk.

Uncertainty principle, however, literally means that if we try to observe something that small, we alter it in an unpredictable manner. The harder we try to observe accurately, the worse it is.

So to "know" the exact state of an electron, like Misaka does, requires "magic" or in this case, ESP.

In Index it was brought up by one of the teachers as an explanation for ESP and how personal reality works.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Clarste posted:

Didn't everyone realize it? The previous episode made a point of "the clients think they know who the culprit is but they can't target her directly because circumstances".

This interests me, how come none of the Level 5's know each other by sight or form their own special club or does the city prevent them from meeting up generally?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why isn't there Alice Megatroid fanart of Mikasa already? That was great. I think Mikasa should have Metal filled Dolls as a part of her regular arsenal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I always liked the theory that Uiharu had control over entropy at higher levels, essentially she could make herself important (and why her flower hat seems to never wither). :shobon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does she teleport those nails into the air and lets terminal velocity do their thing to impact the ground or does she telefrag them into the ground/target's clothes?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I had forgotten that at this time Touma had lost his memories by now

I never minded him, it's through him we get to see how awesome the setting as a whole is.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

a kitten posted:

Kurokowns

Poor girl, maybe one day she'll find a nice girlfriend rather than lusting hopelessly after Misaka.

Is she actually gay (i.e any evidence she generally finds other women attractive, not just disliking men in general) or more Misakasexual? It'ld be nice if it was the former.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

JosephWongKS posted:

Episode 12 - The Sisters continue to be the best part of this series. I love their sense of humor.

"Dog." "Tokugawa Ieyasu". "Schroedinger". "Deferred". :3:

Do they get a spin-off series of their own?

"Why are you walking away from the cat that is clearly in need of help. Says Misaka outraged." :colbert: :3:

The best was: "Its a cat. But its named Dog. Huehue." :geno:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Touma seems pretty tolerable thus far, at worst the whole interconnected continuality of it all makes up for it.

MISAKA #1 was pretty :3: as she struck those poses, until she got accelerated across the room. :gonk:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wheezle posted:

Hooray for Misaka runs through generic science facility breaking stuff scene #50000.

Why does every scene that we didn't already see in index seem like filler?

Well, It was pretty awesome to see the "I don't give a flying gently caress anymore." expression she had with her just channeling pure rage into destroying poo poo, the other scenes are like amateur hour crap in comparison :)

For me the difference is in atmosphere.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Anime_Otaku posted:

I think that even though both previous seasons had a big fight where Misaka shows off her powers her reaction to seeing Accelerator kill 10031 really brought it home how potentially dangerous the Level 5 espers can really be when they want to be, I doubt much of Academy City would be left standing if they'd used Meltdowner clones for the experiment (assuming she'd have the same reaction as Misaka).

The newest episode kinda tops that in some ways :stare:

Touma really is a much better character from the Railgun side of things. Honestly I like it this way, we just see his actions and what he says and leave the internal POV to the others.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tonberrytoby posted:

You are forgetting that Touma has the hidden ability to make everyone influenced by him act like the stupidest of stupidest shounen manga stereotypes.
So yeah, you get (index spoiler) every 2-bit fighter in the city thinking he is stronger then accelerator after he has lost one fight.

This also explains why Misaka never can defeat Touma. She isn't allowed to use deadly moves in the shounen zone.
Also explains why Misaka just sat down and left everything to Touma. Though that could also be explained by her age if you feel overly generous.

I'm sure murdering innocent people that manage to beat you one time in an irrelevant street fight is totally something that's within Misaka's character to do? That's Sarcasm. :ssh:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I kinda feel that the subset of people who think Railgun should have abandoned or significantly rewritten the original canon of a shared universe this show is supposed to be a part of are unreasonable. It's okay to be disappointed but actually advocating something like a retcon just seems like fan outrage to me.

It would've been awesome if we had a stand alone show with a girl protagonist with esper powers who was bad rear end who relied on her own select group of interesting and quirky friends without needing to have the spotlight occasionally overshadowed by a dofus. However, that's not what Railgun is 100% of the time, we have Railgun as part of the Indexverse and its under certain reasonable constraints that the writer put us in so c'est la vie (It's okay to be annoyed at bad writing when it happens but not at the animators having to adapt it without significant alterations).

It seems to be if we had a Not!Railgun that had similar situation of 'bad writing' it would be a lot more reasonable complaint, but you in my humble opinion have to applaud them for making good with what they got; we got a lot of very good scenes and character beats and Touma is significantly more tolerable as Random Guy We Run Into.

Personally if Touma had originally came across as putting alot more effort to find things out instead of kinda lucking into it that would be better writing, I agree with that especially in the Railgun context. But Touma in general being involved being bad? I don't agree.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The anime original arcs are a little formulaic but drat if they aren't satisfying to see Railgun [eventually] blow stuff up.

The volunteer police force doesn't keep hours after dark? That's almost as weird as Japan having hospitals being closed at night.

legoman727 posted:

Okay, Saten and Uiharu playing mom is just :3: Though Febri's kinda annoying.

But oh god, if this arc leads to a Meltdowner/Railgun team up I can't wait.

Saten is clearly the Dad. :colbert:

On a related note, Saten as a friend would probably make an awesome wingman when bar hopping too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Falken posted:

You'd be doing a pub crawl with a minor, however.

Not sure if your serious, but I'll clarify that is not what I meant, but more of the sentiment of 'someone your age level with those observational skills aggregated in a real person would hypothetically be great to pub crawl with as your wingman' but that just sounds clumsy right? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tarezax posted:

I think that was a different old man. Kihara Gensei doesn't really have any reason to be at an aircraft factory.

Also, did anyone else catch the STUDY people looking at a monitor showing the status of Endymion?

Speaking of which, what happened to it at the end of the movie? It wasn't clear if its gone now or just the station at the end?

• Locked thread