Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ChronoReverse posted:

It's even harder than that because Onee-sama has lesbian connotations built in when used the way Kuruko does. These things simply don't carry over.
Or you can use "honey"

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Maybe Kuroko could say 'my dear...' or something?

Raenir Salazar posted:

For some reason I'm finding "dearie"/"dear"/"dearest" might be in character.
Those work too.

Soylentbits posted:

Mistress? It implies reverence and has sexual connotations.
Oh no no no that's so very wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

tonberrytoby posted:

Now that I think about it, wouldn't accelerator get his rear end kicked by espers who's powers don't involve any movement. Like Kuroko and Misaki.
IIRC teleportation has a vector in this universe. Otherwise yeah, any teleporter could just teleport a rock into his head MiracleMan-style.

He's still vulnerable to magic and Touma's bullshit hand though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Requires Hate does Railgun

http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/a-certain-scientific-railgun-or-how-to-beat-a-white-person/

quote:

Another thing of note–yes, at least one of these girls is a lesbian–is that Railgun has a cast that’s almost entirely female. The protagonist, female. Her roommate, female. Their non-powered friends, female. The leader of the local militia/police, female. The scientist who plays a pivotal role, female. The villain, female. There’s one major male character and I don’t think he has as many as five speaking lines in twenty-four episodes.

However, I also picked this image to make something obvious: this is a show that’s full of loving fanservice. There’s an episode where they go to a virtual beach–I poo poo you not–and wear swimsuits, even though the place they actually live in doesn’t have a real beach. The sexuality politics are shot to hell too, since Kuroko (beribboned girl here) expresses her lesbian interest in her roommate and revered senpai Misaka by sexually harassing her repeatedly. Misaka crushes on a boy, because haha homophobia. Oh, and Saten–the girl in the back with the lone flower in her hair–constantly flips her friend Uiharu’s skirt up for fun.

Yeah.

Other than Misaka’s freaky heterosexuality though, most of the girls in the show aren’t too interested in boys. There’s also a weird frequency of the girls running into thugs who want to mug or sexually assault them, and there are entire episodes devoted to Kuroko or Misaka electrocuting, beating up, or otherwise curbstomping adult men–and Telestina is herself following in her grandfather’s footsteps when she does her evil plans (i.e. she’s following a man). The men in this series are absent, ineffectual, thuggish, untrustworthy or all of the above (the sequel, Railgun S, features a male villain, which fits into these patterns: he’s a psychopathic psychic thug). I’d also question why they go around targeting girls who wear the uniform of a school known for a high concentration of espers–many of whom can murder them in various interesting ways–but I’m not going to say no to frequent, hilarious sequences of the girls beating men up for the hell of it.

Railgun is meant to be a “side-story” to the main attraction, A Certain Magical Index which features smug shithead teenage male wish fulfillment vomit and everyone involved with it ought to be executed, but it stands alone just fine and you can sort of ignore said vomit as long as you don’t seek out the “main show” as the protagonist of said vomit only makes rare cameos in Railgun. It’s ultimately kind of mediocre, with terrible pacing and swathes of filler episodes that can be safely skipped (including but not limited to the beach episode), and what little can be said for its gender politics is demolished when you consider Misaka’s heterosexual crush or Kuroko’s orientation being expressed solely through sexual harassment.

• Locked thread