Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There is no acceptable reason for picking Eoten. Ever. We've established this. Giants already have a million names and Eoten is not really in wide use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jackard posted:

Are you quoting this or something?

It was the reason the guy who changed them to eotens gave

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Jackard posted:

Are you quoting this or something?
It's from the Commie translator guy, who is some hilariously pretentious douchebag who made up Eotenas to sound different and isn't actually that great with English to start with ("the Eotena's hoary truth" implies that there is a single Eotena who speaks in really boring cliches).

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 1, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

icantfindaname posted:

Well AoT isn't European fantasy, it's a bizzaro-world Japanese interpretation of European fantasy. The stilted broken English of something like 'Attack on Titan' or 'Fullmetal Alchemist' is part of the charm, at least for me.

Fullmetal Alchemist isn't exactly broken English; the Japanese word that they translated as "fullmetal" refers to a specific type of iron used for making swords. Basically it's like calling him "the Damascus Alchemist" or "the Hundred-Folded Alchemist" or something like that.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist isn't exactly broken English; the Japanese word that they translated as "fullmetal" refers to a specific type of iron used for making swords. Basically it's like calling him "the Damascus Alchemist" or "the Hundred-Folded Alchemist" or something like that.

The word used in Japanese was "Hagane". Just means steel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Exercu posted:

The word used in Japanese was "Hagane". Just means steel.

I stand corrected; must've been thinking of tamahagane.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
And "Steel Alchemist" sounds a bit less badass than "Fullmetal Alchemist".

Or... Hmm...

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I thought it was Titans and not any of the Germanic ones because the author said he was partly inspired by the painting "Saturn Devouring His Son" as in the Greek titan

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

HorribleSubs is just pirated rips of stuff from Crunchyroll or Funimation's streaming services.

Ah, I didn't know that. I was just going with what was recommended to me.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

I hear a lot about subtitles this subtitles that, how one site has better subs than another, is there any credence to this or is it just pedantic bs

I know enough Japanese to notice when sometimes subtitlers get things wrong. Sometimes way wrong. Usually it doesn't affect the plot at least, but it can get annoying. Also some subtitlers bake their subs in (which can be annoying if you want to screenshot) or sometimes they just don't work. Some add a lot of extra comments and stuff, like to explain why people are doing weird Japanese things, e.g. the speaker is forgoing polite language and it's important in this scene or whatever. Or sometimes they like feel the need to explain a word like "nakama" and then decide to use it throughout instead of translating it. I've seen subtitlers that have decided "cellphone" wouldn't be as fun as leaving "keitai" untranslated for some bizarre reason.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Let's edit the poo poo out of this, I really didn't want to come off too whiny in hindsight.

I'm really not enjoying the Attack on Titan dub. They've made a lot of significant changes from the source material and even the japanese anime, and a lot of the time it doesn't work well. My biggest complaint is brevity, they throw in a bunch of dialogue that comes out as complete gibberish, and detracts from the scenes. It's understandable they need to change up dialogue to match with the movement of a character's mouth, but this happens even when the mouth isn't on the screen. Iconic sentences like "Because I was born in this world" gets changed up too.

The english script writer in my opinion, didn't do a very good job.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 2, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Let's edit the poo poo out of this, I really didn't want to come off too whiny in hindsight.

I'm really not enjoying the Attack on Titan dub. They've made a lot of significant changes from the source material and even the japanese anime, and a lot of the time it doesn't work well. My biggest complaint is brevity, they throw in a bunch of dialogue that comes out as complete gibberish, and detracts from the scenes. It's understandable they need to change up dialogue to match with the movement of a character's mouth, but this happens even when the mouth isn't on the screen. Iconic sentences like "Because I was born in this world" gets changed up too.

The english script writer in my opinion, didn't do a very good job.

I haven't heard any of it, but "Because I was born in this world" is an awful line spoken in English.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Currently working through the anime, currently done with episode 11 (good stuff, got some quibbles but I'm sure most of them have been talked to death in this 130 page thread of which I'm on 50 or so), so out of curiosity, where does the first season leave off chapterwise? Since the second season is starting in a month should I bother checking out the manga just yet?

Speaking of 11 though, was something skipped between it and 10? The intro started talking about stuff that didn't happen in the last episode as if it'd already gone down. Didn't expect Armin's scene and Pixis showing up to just get completely skimmed over in the first 15 seconds or so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The second season won't be starting for at least another year, man. Maybe two. There's not enough manga content to make a second season.

You should start at chapter 32 once you've finished the anime, that's where it goes in a different direction from the anime(and a better one imo).

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Thread OP should say where people should pick up the manga after finishing the anime, to lower the number of repeated queries.

Also, a recommendation to watch the OVA in addition to, or instead of, the bonus chapter.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Apologies for jumping the gun! And missing that "July" wasn't this July, that's embarrassing.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Currently working through the anime, currently done with episode 11 (good stuff, got some quibbles but I'm sure most of them have been talked to death in this 130 page thread of which I'm on 50 or so), so out of curiosity, where does the first season leave off chapterwise? Since the second season is starting in a month should I bother checking out the manga just yet?

Speaking of 11 though, was something skipped between it and 10? The intro started talking about stuff that didn't happen in the last episode as if it'd already gone down. Didn't expect Armin's scene and Pixis showing up to just get completely skimmed over in the first 15 seconds or so.

Yeah, Chapter 32 is where you should start reading. There was also a side-story, published between chapter 18 and chapter 19 that was turned into an OAV:
Ilse's Notebook
I'd say it's very important, but not completely necessary for understanding the plot.

(If you're really enjoying the story, I also think it's a good idea to read volume 4 of the manga. (Though it's not required) It's the training arc, which has more content than the anime, and does a lot to flesh out the relationships of the characters. The manga is 5 chapters long, when the anime is only about 2 episodes long. The anime cutting what it did from that arc makes some of the events that happen near the end of the anime season more confusing.)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Attack on Titan's anime ends at around chapter 33. With the story being 99% accurate until about episode 23 / 31 in the manga. 24 and 25's second halves are significantly different. Right now the manga is at chapter 57, with 58 being released this week! So I would expect work on the next season will begin very late this year and be out late 2015 or early 2016.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shadow0 posted:

I know enough Japanese to notice when sometimes subtitlers get things wrong. Sometimes way wrong. Usually it doesn't affect the plot at least, but it can get annoying. Also some subtitlers bake their subs in (which can be annoying if you want to screenshot) or sometimes they just don't work. Some add a lot of extra comments and stuff, like to explain why people are doing weird Japanese things, e.g. the speaker is forgoing polite language and it's important in this scene or whatever. Or sometimes they like feel the need to explain a word like "nakama" and then decide to use it throughout instead of translating it. I've seen subtitlers that have decided "cellphone" wouldn't be as fun as leaving "keitai" untranslated for some bizarre reason.

I'm assuming the Hulu/Netflix is the same, is it more less watchable or am I missing out on some sweet Eoten action?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I am still working my way through this thread, which exploded in the week or so that I didn't read it, so I apologize if someone has already posted this--I did do a search and it doesn't seem to be here.

Several people asked about the full version of the opening theme song, and I believe I've found it (no, this isn't the one that is just the anime opening repeated)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn7dCgtwX2c

Also, seriously. A huge thank you to everyone who has been using spoiler tags. While I plan to get the manga, I definitely want to see the anime first.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

^^^
Welcome! :) I hope you enjoy the series a lot! I also went from anime -> manga and I can tell you it's really good and really exciting all the way through. I would not even Google the character names until you've caught up with the manga; some people in this thread have ended up being spoiled, since the manga is on Chapter 57, and the anime ended at chapter 32 or so.

The plot is so good. :allears:

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm assuming the Hulu/Netflix is the same, is it more less watchable or am I missing out on some sweet Eoten action?

The Hulu/Netflix/Crunchyroll are the official Funimation subtitles, and are very good.

I have a sister who enjoys linguistics a lot, and studied European linguistics in college. She also loves Attack on Titan, and it's fun to show her fan translation nonsense like *~Eotenas~* and some of the translations of the names, like Rivalle. Gives her an aneurysm.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The first OP's full song is so terrible. I can listen to the TV short for hours, but the full length one just goes off the wall and is too different from the main draw of the song. The second OP is really great, through and through.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Opening-wise, I prefer the first one, but I've got to admit the second really works for the shift in tone at where I'm at now; switching to the more triumphant OP in the aftermath of humanity's first decisive victory is a good move.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Okay so question, Sasha is not in fact a werewolf right? That whole bit after she has to run all day as punishment for stealing the potato and then gets hungry is all meant to be subjective right

I don't know what the Japanese word is for when anime characters make those exaggerated expressionist faces

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, it's just that way for the sake of comedy. Sasha is not actually a werewolf whose powers activate when a cute anime girl brings her food.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, it's just that way for the sake of comedy. Sasha is not actually a werewolf whose powers activate when a cute anime girl brings her food.
Or is she..?? Read the comic starting at chapter 32 to find out.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Alan Smithee posted:

Okay so question, Sasha is not in fact a werewolf right? That whole bit after she has to run all day as punishment for stealing the potato and then gets hungry is all meant to be subjective right

I don't know what the Japanese word is for when anime characters make those exaggerated expressionist faces

Mikasa may be the queen of violence, but Sasha is really, really athletic. She's also the one that saves, uh, that guy, when they're on the wall and the colossal titan attacks.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Hello, Sasha is obviously a human sized Titan. Did you not her scary inhuman face AND the steam that came out when she went after that bread?

(gently caress me, this comment made me go back to read that scene from the manga because it's funny and I ended up reading the rest of the volume.)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1sFPDXEYT4

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I thought those would stop being funny. I was wrong.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Holy poo poo so good, oh my god.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is loving great.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Omglosser posted:

I thought those would stop being funny. I was wrong.

I agree with this 110%. Oh my God, I think I'm dying.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Rush Limbaugh is now an anime

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Rush Limbaugh is now an anime

On that day Humanity recieved a grim reminder.

That we lived in fear of the liberals, and were disgraced to live in these cages called FEMA death camps.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"Is the town called Titan? Are we attacking the town?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WawrfHBsCCA

"Anime is the poo poo"

"Anime is always really confusing"

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

"Is the town called Titan? Are we attacking the town?"

I'm going to choose to believe this is what the Titans are thinking when they storm the human settlements, now.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
The dub makes me miss Attack on Titan Abridged. :rip:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

The dub makes me miss Attack on Titan Abridged. :rip:
Whatever happened to that? Seems to have vanished from the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Copyright issues have put it on indefinite hiatus.

• Locked thread