Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So is there any word when blu ray 2 will hit? I have several people who want to see the dub but I don't want to show them the first half now and have a giant gap while waiting on the second half to be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Recently started watching the series too. I'm at episode 16 and while it's still really great, I preferred the first 8 or 9 episodes a lot more. They were really good at portraying the hopelessness of the situation, while once Eren unlocked Titan mode it feels a lot more like the standard anime with the hero character. When Eren got eaten I honestly felt like it was the death of the character and fitted the hopelessness of the setting perfectly.

Also how far am I off by thinking that Titans are basically transformed people, sent/created by a hostile country or cult?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Please finish the entire thing first, I'm fairly certain most people reading and posting here has seen the entire thing and might talk about it without spoiler tags.

Not spoiler for you:
While I think it is fair to think that titan mode is a bit cheap and solidifies the series as a typical Shonen, you have to admire the angle by which it treats the main character, which is like total poo poo. It will not stop defecating all over Eren and his stupid decisions and it will actually get more and more consequences as the show goes. For the latter, we don't know yet, but there definately seems to be some foreign collection of people who are capable of becoming titans. Whether the fleshy titans are the same as them or not is unknown, but the manga does explore the neck stuff a lot further, but it's about what you can already can guess at; they've not found tiny people driving the titans.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Catalina posted:

The Hulu/Netflix/Crunchyroll are the official Funimation subtitles, and are very good.

I don't know about Netflix but Crunchroll didn't/doesn't use the Funimation subtitles and the funimation ones get really bad at some critical parts. Hopefully they redid them later on.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I found the most important thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcSYVczfTr0

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Evil Canadian posted:

So is there any word when blu ray 2 will hit? I have several people who want to see the dub but I don't want to show them the first half now and have a giant gap while waiting on the second half to be released.

September 23 or so I've heard.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Just did a binge of the series out so far and it was amazing. The giants were amazingly creepy and the action intense. Have they set a date for season 3?

Babygravy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 1, 2014

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Babygravy posted:

How did this thread die after just the first episode aired? Just did a binge of the series out so far and it was amazing. The giants were amazingly creepy and the action intense.

Uh, the anime's original run has been done for almost a year now

E: Oh, no they haven't yet, and probably won't for another year at least due to the manga not being far enough ahead for another season

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
drat, another game of thrones situation

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Babygravy posted:

uhh I don't think they're gonna wait on the books for that, buddy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Babygravy posted:

Personally, I'd recommend just reading the manga. It's really good

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Babygravy posted:

Have they set a date for season 3?

They'd have to set a date for season 2 first.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Saagonsa posted:

Personally, I'd recommend just reading the manga. It's really good

I shall do this!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Wow, I haven't binge watched a show like that since The Wire. Great show.

Man, I really hope this doesn't turn into Titan Vs Titan all the time, the story was great without it. I also hope Annie remains a somewhat main character. She was pretty cool even before she started wrecking everyone.

Edit-Holy poo poo, the very last second of the last episode!!

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 16, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Just The Facts posted:

Wow, I haven't binge watched a show like that since The Wire. Great show.

Man, I really hope this doesn't turn into Titan Vs Titan all the time, the story was great without it. I also hope Annie remains a somewhat main character.

Edit-Holy poo poo, the very last second of the last episode!!
Welcome to the hell that is waiting years for the next season! In the meantime, consider buying the manga to see what terrible fate awaits out heroes! You can find it on Amazon or most comic book stores. Even Chapters is stocking it now.

Also, you should watch Ilse's Journal, the first OVA! It's a short sidestory from the manga that the anime skipped over. ( Linked directly because there is literally no way to watch it on Crunchyroll, nor any other source until the final DVDS get released stateside. )

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Squidster posted:

You can find it on Amazon or most comic book stores. Even Chapters is stocking it now.

Maybe my local Chapters is weird but they had lots since the first volume.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

There appears to be a new OVA making the rounds! The RAWs have hit the usual spots, but no translations yet. I believe it's an anime-original story set during the training arc, so look forward to seeing a lot of familiar and very dead faces.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Maybe they'll reincarnate them into titan controllers...

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I binged this while staying at my parent's and having little to do in the evenings. One of my friends had talked about it a lot, I hadn't watched an anime since Umineko (:can:) and the subbed version was on Netflix so I thought I might as well try it.

I really like the first 2 episodes. The setup for the series is so brutal but gripping. The animation and soundtrack are both great too. The two things that really annoy me as the story goes on though are the character development or lack thereof and the recaps, etc taking up so much of each episode. So many characters like Sasha, Christ, the guy who is Reiner's friend, etc are introduced and then just not used. I guess they have more involvement in the manga? I can imagine the second issue being really annoying when watching live. I dunno I enjoyed the action but I don't feel particularly invested.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 11, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Sasha is a fan favorite and ends up getting a lot of screen time. The first few episodes are really exposition, setting up the setting and introducing you to the characters and concepts before poo poo really hits the fan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Make it through six episodes before reporting back.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Characters that are introduced and get little screen time do get more development as the story goes on in the manga. In fact, it's a little weird to think back on certain characters (say Krista or Commander Erwin) with only the information given up to the end of the anime.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Most character development for the secondary characters will come in the second season, which is probably a year or so off. Actually, the anime up to this point has had more development for those characters than the manga had at the same point, since the anime has more filler.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Was the filler all the inner monologue? If so that can go gladly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Annie got some extra scenes while the Military Police mucked about. I think some of Jean's scenes were different as well. Uh. Maybe there was something else! It's been a while since I watched.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
There was nearly an entire episode of characterization for Eren and some other folks when he was hiding from Annie in the tunnels. In the manga it's just Eren and it happens in a panel or two, rather than being, like, half an episode of whinging.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
When Eren goes to move the rock to block the entrance, the girl with glasses was given a bunch of extra dialogue to hammer home the fact that Eren wasn't concentrating on his transformation into a titan and because he was scattered all over the place, he started punching Mikasa.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Squidster posted:

There appears to be a new OVA making the rounds! The RAWs have hit the usual spots, but no translations yet. I believe it's an anime-original story set during the training arc, so look forward to seeing a lot of familiar and very dead faces.

Just watched it with subs, was really good.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

forhorglingrads posted:

Just watched it with subs, was really good.

What is it called? I'd like to watch it with subs tonight as well.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Factory Factory posted:

There was nearly an entire episode of characterization for Eren and some other folks when he was hiding from Annie in the tunnels. In the manga it's just Eren and it happens in a panel or two, rather than being, like, half an episode of whinging.

I actually got mad when I went and read this part of the manga after finishing the anime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

It's also very different characterization from what the manga does, and imo worse.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I don't really see how the characterization is all that different to be honest. It just seems to take him longer to make the same conclusions in the anime.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Saagonsa posted:

I don't really see how the characterization is all that different to be honest. It just seems to take him longer to make the same conclusions in the anime.
In the manga he makes the same realization Mikasa did earlier. It's really the first battle Eren starts using teamwork and that's how he finally wins against Annie

In the anime he waffles around and goes ~~super berserker Xxxtreme~~ also an uninjured Levi appears out of nowhere to prevent ˇˇfUSioN!!

and then the stinger, because they ran out of time with all that filler. gently caress that last episode.

e: apparently there is a new reader

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 13, 2014

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jackard posted:

In the manga he makes the same realization Mikasa did earlier. It's really the first battle Eren starts using teamwork and that's how he finally wins against Annie

In the anime he waffles around and goes ~~super berserker Xxxtreme~~ also an uninjured Levi appears out of nowhere to prevent ˇˇfUSioN!!

and then the stinger, because they ran out of time with all that filler. gently caress that last episode.

e: apparently there is a new reader

Oh, I thought he was talking about characterization in episode 24. That part was defiantly bad an dumb though, yeah.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 13, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

I wouldn't say the extended scene is characterization for Eren (well, maybe, since he hesitates a lot more), but rather for Armin.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

What is it called? I'd like to watch it with subs tonight as well.

The one I watched said it's "Difficulty" but I don't know how accurate that is.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Captain Invictus posted:

Make it through six episodes before reporting back.

Or even just five should be good enough.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah five would be way better

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was intentionally misleading him so he wouldn't know THE BIG THING happens in 5 but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Big thing in every episode..

• Locked thread