Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Khagan posted:

I believe Commie has it translated to Reconnaissance Legion, so pick your poison.

That's kind of a mouthful. I like Recon Corps, it's descriptive and straight to the point. The manga translations have been by and large pretty god damned terrible, so no one should be mad or surprised when decent fansub groups do something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Superstring posted:

Dang, I'd believe it. There were a couple of spots where I couldn't recognize Mikasa at first.

I wonder if they will be consistent with her design throughout the rest of the series. I didn't even recognize her during the scene with Jean. It seemed a bit different from the manga.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Books about the world outside of the walls are banned. Knowledge of what race even is and what that means is probably lost. Literally everyone else so far has been white European. A half-asian would probably look peculiar at most to them and even if they did notice that she was different from the rest, they wouldn't know why, and wouldn't have reason to react in any racist way. Basically, the concept of race no longer exists to people in this world because differing races simply no longer exist. One of the kidnappers had no idea why Mikasa and her mother were different, and maybe the one who did smuggled illegal books on the side and knew a bit more about the world before titans.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like there was perhaps a little too much monologuing, but it was otherwise a fantastic episode, I really love how they handled everything. The Titan-on-Titan combat was just so amazingly animated.

Vengarr posted:

Bah gawd as my witness, he's been broken in half! :bahgawd:

Literally stealing the spotlight:

This episode had some drat good direction.

Thank you for these gifs, now to stare at them for the next few hours.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 19, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also most of them seem to be overrated in combat.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xythar posted:

I think the editor just did that because he's a big fan of classic literature and thought it sounded cool, much like the rest of the terminology (that, and the official title is pretty Engrishy anyway). I'd say I'm surprised by the totally disproportionate amount of hate something so ultimately meaningless has spawned, but this is the Internet, so I'm not really.

It's just a really, really bad localization. Something that happens regularly in fan subs so it's not all that noteworthy, except for how the guy decided to explain his decision. Which was via the smuggest, most hilariously pretentious fake chatlog anyone has ever written. That instantly makes it worthy of all the scorn.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah they really did stretch what should have been one episode into two. It was really drat obvious, and it makes me wonder if this was initially supposed to be one episode but production issues forced them to stretch it out to buy time. I don't really know if that actually happens with anime or not.

• Locked thread