Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Or use Rock Band Blitz if you have it.

EDIT: Since I'm at the top of the page, does anyone know if any more songs are going to be pulled anytime soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
HMX actually just posted info on the subject. Long story short: nothing foreseen as being pulled soon.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
There was a tweet that said they already successfully relicensed everything else from 2007, and they are now working on getting everything from 2008. The 2008 bracket doesn't appear to have many acts in it that might refuse, the notable exceptions being RHCP, Soundgarden, and Oasis and maybe Boston.

The unscientific criteria I used to judge what DLC could be considered "at risk" was looking for groups that:
-Are arguably bigger-name groups
-Have had licensing drama before
-Have not appeared multiple times

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 10, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

Also, I have Dani California and Black Hole Sudden added to my cache through TU5, then reverted back to TU4, and they are still playable. So for those using customs it's a simple workaround.
Chiming in again to say I got this working. Thanks for mentioning it! What I did was just delete the cache from my custom stick, and copy my TU5-based cache onto it. Booted up with my custom stick and the game filled out the rest of the cache with my customs (instead of creating a "custom" cache from scratch like I had done before). Not sure if that's exactly the method you were talking about, but I can confirm that it works!

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Yeah, my process was kind of weird and convoluted since, basically, my USB stick got corrupted because of a problem with Party Buffalo (I thought it had frozen but it was actually just working very slowly/progress indicator wasn't filling in) and so pulling out the stick was NOT the thing to do... but anyway, I ended up building the RBHP database on TU5, doing the normal process of re-introducing all my DLC/deleting the RBHP dummy files, and then doing the customs with TU4.

However, my guess would be that the cache could really go back and forth between TU4 and TU5, since the customs will load into TU5 and display in your song listing, it'll just give you a disc read error if you try to play 'em. (Dani California and Black Hole Son don't give any such error in TU4, thankfully.)

Also wow I just noticed that typo in my previous post of "Black Hole Sudden". Please be aware that was a typo and not me forgetting/confusing the name of the song. Honest. :sigh:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

To add to what you said, people should take care when loading up custom content to their drive because some programs have misleading/no progress indicator like you said, and it's best to physically watch your drive until the activity light has stopped flashing for several seconds before disconnecting it, to make sure you don't corrupt your music collection.
Also, I STRONGLY urge people when deleting files, to delete them through the Xbox's actual memory manager, and not through the loading program. Sometimes the space taken up by a file will remain unusable if you delete it through not-xbox, and then the only solution is reformatting.

The T
May 29, 2010

By the way Orange Harrison, I remember you mentioning being able to extract stems from normal recordings using some kind of audio wizardry. Is that something that anyone would be able to learn or is it quite difficult/time consuming to do? Does it only work for certain types of songs? Basically, can you go into any detail on it at all?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
It's basically either of two things:

1) Fiddling with "noise filtering" (treating parts of the song where an instrument isn't present as "noise") and EQ interminably
2) Paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to do the same thing more or less but Extremely Professionally and with better software

For most people #1 will suffice if they can cover it up with any number of other audio tricks, but if you're, say, remastering The Beatles, you're gonna go for #2.

It's the kind of thing that'll only annoy you if you're trying to spot it and then when you do it'll bug the poo poo out of you forever.

The T
May 29, 2010

Also in the same vein I guess; if I have a karaoke version of a song and a regular version of a song, how hard would it be to extract the vocals from it to make a karaoke version?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
See #1.

Streets Ahead
Oct 21, 2010

cool cool cool

Orange Harrison posted:

To add to what you said, people should take care when loading up custom content to their drive because some programs have misleading/no progress indicator like you said, and it's best to physically watch your drive until the activity light has stopped flashing for several seconds before disconnecting it, to make sure you don't corrupt your music collection.
Also, I STRONGLY urge people when deleting files, to delete them through the Xbox's actual memory manager, and not through the loading program. Sometimes the space taken up by a file will remain unusable if you delete it through not-xbox, and then the only solution is reformatting.

Yeah I learned this the hard way last night. Does anyone know if there are any issues with just moving songs to my Xbox hard drive from the flash drive? I've been doing it fine so far but I was wondering if anyone's ran into any problems (or am I the only one too cheap to buy a bigger flash drive?)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Orange Harrison posted:

I have a PS3 and
Ouch man

I knew from the day that I noticed MTV sent me the wrong package that this would gently caress me over. All my friends were on 360. I knew RB would be mainly on 360. But gently caress, it was Christmas and it wasn't my fault. :(

So, I have no reason to be in this thread, do I? No hope for PS3? I would buy a 360 copy of the game itself if I could use my instruments but inexplicably they're not interchangeable. Not to mention carting all my DLC over. :sigh:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, you're probably SOL. From what little I've read, even the Wii is having a hell of a time getting unofficial content on there, and the Wii is pretty drat hacker friendly.

Also, I wouldn't call lack of cross-compatibility on the instruments inexplicable. I'd be surprised if the three console makers didn't have an edict to the effect of "thou shall not make licensed controllers that work on the competition's systems".

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

The T posted:

By the way Orange Harrison, I remember you mentioning being able to extract stems from normal recordings using some kind of audio wizardry. Is that something that anyone would be able to learn or is it quite difficult/time consuming to do? Does it only work for certain types of songs? Basically, can you go into any detail on it at all?

You can sit right down and do it with Adobe Audition's automatic presets, but it will sound like poo poo. It takes years to learn how to tweak it all manually to get a good extraction.
What I mainly use is phase analysis. Audition compares the L and R signal of the audio file and subtracts the identical peaks, removing any sound panned into the "center". The vocals are usually panned into the center, so this creates a vocal-less mix. The drums are also usually panned to the center, but remain in the extracted mix because there is almost always stereo reverb on the drum set. Many, MANY programs have quick and dirty "karaoke" filters that do the same thing, but they dramatically degrade the sound quality, and usually only work in mono. Audition can manually set every aspect of how to filter, and have the final track remain in stereo. It can also run in reverse, to have the track be only what's panned to the center, or you can have it do the math to extract from any point in the soundscape (from -100 to 100).

That's phase analysis, there's also frequency analysis which Gaspar mentioned. Using EQ is poo poo though. I create two copies of the track and a spectrogram of each. Viewing the spectrogram, you can pinpoint specific instruments in the mix based on their placement on the Y axis and shape (instruments are horizontal lines, drums are vertical lines). I then manually highlight and dampen each horizontal harmonic for the notes of the instrument I want to extract, until it's almost no longer visible in the spectrogram, and it sounds suitably muted in playback. Then I invert it, and mix it into the copy I made, and the result is the instrument isolated, as accurately as I bothered to filter it. This takes hours and hours to do but has a VERY convincing effect.

Here is "Sleepwalk" by Santo & Johnny, recorded 1959 in mono. Here is an excerpt of the guitar stem extracted with (manual) frequency analysis.

These processes are very picky and only work with songs that were mastered in specific ways. I can't extract stems for ELO songs because almost every one has double tracked instruments or vocals, in both channels, which obstructs stem extraction from getting a grip on anything. Same with George Harrison songs (he was friends with Jeff Lynne of ELO anyway, so it's reasonable to assume they picked up the same producing habits), anything that Phil Spector has smeared his echo mud all over, and recordings that are entirely in mono. (I know Sleepwalk is in mono, but that recording only has three instruments, so it's still manageable to manually filter everything.)

Ironically, songs from the 60's work BETTER than modern recordings, because the mastering was more simple and instruments were usually kept separate from each other in the soundscape with little if any reverberation.

Also, to extract stems I need the highest quality available of any given song. This usually means either tracking down a .flac or buying the CD somewhere. I do reasearch ahead of time to see if the specific CD I plan to buy came out during or after the Loudness War to make sure the recording on the disc is as raw as possible, and not compressed for volume reasons. This usually means checking the year of the pressing. CDs from the 90's-2000's are usually the devil. Even the highest quality MP3's won't work, because they use their own Left-Right channel analysis for compression reasons, which interferes with phase analysis since the data was never intended to be read that way.

I really should make a youtube video.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

1) Fiddling with "noise filtering" (treating parts of the song where an instrument isn't present as "noise")
This is poo poo. Why would someone do this. That would sound even worse than the painfully amateur "stems" that passed in Great Balls of Fire.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 11, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

Another question I have; would discussion of this be considered be :filez:?

Would it be okay to talk in this thread about specific custom authors that aren't C3, to talk about if they are quality charts or things like that? I've actually been thinking of starting to just download some and do videos to put online, but unfortunately I won't have my Rock Band stuff set up (literally can't find the drum set in my current room) until next month after I move.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Here's an article:

http://videogamewriters.com/harmonix-and-sparking-the-dlc-revolution-with-rock-band-60524

While Drake couldn’t speak on the specifics of the Guns N’ Roses negotiations, he did elaborate that sometimes Harmonix wouldn’t have the final say in what songs appeared in the Rock Band franchise. “It’s usually a pretty back-and-forth process, but we don’t usually get unfettered access to tell them what we want,” he says. “And that’s how we sometimes end up with songs that don’t always seem like the most natural choices, like not having ‘Flagpole Sitta’ and having a different Harvey Danger song instead."

:smith:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

The T posted:

Another question I have; would discussion of this be considered be :filez:?

Would it be okay to talk in this thread about specific custom authors that aren't C3, to talk about if they are quality charts or things like that? I've actually been thinking of starting to just download some and do videos to put online, but unfortunately I won't have my Rock Band stuff set up (literally can't find the drum set in my current room) until next month after I move.

Seems like it would be okay to discuss someone's ability to set notes to music.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I finally got the RB Harmonies Project running and it's just as awesome as advertised. For those who are better with this stuff than me, I have a question that didn't seem to be covered in the documentation. Do you swap your profile back and forth between the USB drive and your hard drive when you're going through the process? I did, and it worked, but the whole thing would probably be quicker if you didn't have to do that. I guess I could just try it after the next RBHP update hits (tomorrow!).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I didn't move my profile at all, I just made sure it was logged in after doing the "build the RB3 disc + dummy songs cache" step.

edit: vvv I had issues with updates not taking when I wasn't logged in during the last cache build step, but I've got songs from multiple profiles on my HD, so YMMV.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 11, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

I didn't even do that. The cache is independent of profile, so you don't need to be signed in to build it.

As far as custom authors go, then, are there authors who have good customs worth checking out, who aren't already on C3?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The T posted:

I didn't even do that. The cache is independent of profile, so you don't need to be signed in to build it.

As far as custom authors go, then, are there authors who have good customs worth checking out, who aren't already on C3?

Whoever did this masterpiece :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuc9HZVuSk

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

I was expecting this to be some lovely song because of allears and this thread's penchant for sarcasm, but holy poo poo, I want it.

We will be reaching out to people who have authored full-band/full-difficulty customs and basically saying "hey, can we put your song in C3 and credit you?" It won't just be the listed dedicated authors.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
If I have custom songs on my Rock Band and my 360 is connected to the internet, will I get banned from Live? Do I need a modded xbox for this? Is there a way to downgrade from Update 5 to Update 4? I don't understand this future magic where it seems like the answer to all these questions is the ones that work out best for us.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

If I have custom songs on my Rock Band and my 360 is connected to the internet, will I get banned from Live? Do I need a modded xbox for this? Is there a way to downgrade from Update 5 to Update 4? I don't understand this future magic where it seems like the answer to all these questions is the ones that work out best for us.

Probably not
No
Just need to download a copy of TU4 (which can be easily found) and make sure no copy of TU5 is present on any of your storage devices
Just roll with it man

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

whypick1 posted:

Probably not
No
Just need to download a copy of TU4 (which can be easily found) and make sure no copy of TU5 is present on any of your storage devices
Just roll with it man

Thanks, this is the chillest post ever :) How do I remove TU5 if I have it? Do I hunt around in save data options or something? Not really used my 360 for anything complicated before.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
EDIT ^^^^^^
Yeah go to Xbox storage settings, you'll find a "folder" for Rock Band under the Games section. The file is alphabetically listed as "Rock Band Title Update" and you can simply move it to removable storage to get rid of it.

whypick1 posted:

Probably not
No
Just roll with it man

I'll add that you can move TU5 to your USB device in the Xbox storage settings, which makes a program like Party Buffalo easier to use since you'll already have the directories that you need all set up.

And you can't take the game online with TU4 anyway, so you don't need to worry about being "found out" or anything once you're all set up.

The T
May 29, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

There is an amazing tutorial on the FAQ of the Custom Creators website that explains it all in really good detail; I'm guessing we can't link to it due to :filez: (ugh am I overusing this or what) but it's easy to find with a quick google.

pksage posted:

We will be reaching out to people who have authored full-band/full-difficulty customs and basically saying "hey, can we put your song in C3 and credit you?" It won't just be the listed dedicated authors.

Ugh I knowwww but I want it nowwwwww
(But seriously keep up the great work you guys are amazing.)

(...but make sure you fix "Old Time Rock 'n Roll" soon. ;))

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Minidust posted:

EDIT ^^^^^^
Yeah go to Xbox storage settings, you'll find a "folder" for Rock Band under the Games section. The file is alphabetically listed as "Rock Band Title Update" and you can simply move it to removable storage to get rid of it.

I'll add that you can move TU5 to your USB device in the Xbox storage settings, which makes a program like Party Buffalo easier to use since you'll already have the directories that you need all set up.

And you can't take the game online with TU4 anyway, so you don't need to worry about being "found out" or anything once you're all set up.

Wait, I can't just delete the TU5? I need removable storage? Or does the USB drive I'll be using count? I have no idea what Party Buffalo is. This is all so confusing :v: I'll have a look for that tutorial FAQ though, thanks The T.

The T
May 29, 2010

You'll need to delete TU5 or else it'll use that. You'll need removable storage because you need some way to get the files onto your 360. Party Buffalo is the PC application that does that.

Also, just found out there is a group/site that has done Rite of Passage and Metropolis Part 1 by Dream Theater, and while I haven't played them Rite of Passage looks quite good, and I'm a dork who loves (the with Mike Portnoy version of) Dream Theater, so. I'm happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLeH5E3w-zA

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

The T posted:

Also, just found out there is a group/site that has done Rite of Passage and Metropolis Part 1 by Dream Theater, and while I haven't played them Rite of Passage looks quite good, and I'm a dork who loves (the with Mike Portnoy version of) Dream Theater, so. I'm happy.

This is actually the center of some drama for us right now. A bunch of work for that song was done by one of the guys for our project; 1) our guy wasn't given any credit for it, 2) none of us want there to be two customs sites, and 3) that guy happens to be hosting his files on our web server. We're hoping we can convince him to just drop the work on his site and join us, because otherwise we have to drop his songs from our hosting, and ugh drama

I spiffed up the info/download panel a little bit, it's a little less terrible now.

Oh, and before I forget, I'd like some more opinions on this. There exists a project that has ported songs from The Beatles: Rock Band to work as RB3 customs, and we can't decide whether to roll that into C3 or not. On one side of the argument: We want all high-quality customs to be in one place, we're already hosting GH conversions, and if we're gonna get a C&D we'll get one whether or not we're hosting TBRB songs. On the other side (the side that I am on): We want to respect Harmonix with this project, it's not that hard to Google for the Beatles customs as it is, and Harmonix cares so deeply about TBRB in particular that hosting those songs makes us about twice as likely to get a notice from them. What do you guys think?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

Oh, and before I forget, I'd like some more opinions on this. There exists a project that has ported songs from The Beatles: Rock Band to work as RB3 customs, and we can't decide whether to roll that into C3 or not. On one side of the argument: We want all high-quality customs to be in one place, we're already hosting GH conversions, and if we're gonna get a C&D we'll get one whether or not we're hosting TBRB songs. On the other side (the side that I am on): We want to respect Harmonix with this project, it's not that hard to Google for the Beatles customs as it is, and Harmonix cares so deeply about TBRB in particular that hosting those songs makes us about twice as likely to get a notice from them. What do you guys think?
I'm for leaving things the way they are now. I'm brand new at this customs thing (Saturday was my first time), and I've already got the TBRB stuff figured out and the proper bookmarks set. If I can do it, anyone savvy enough to be posting in this thread can. No need to rock the boat further IMO.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Keep any official Harmonix stuff off the site, IMO. I'd hate for this thing to die because of that. They're easy enough to find anyway.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I would think that putting up the official Beatles RB songs would be asking for trouble.

The T
May 29, 2010

pksage posted:

This is actually the center of some drama for us right now. A bunch of work for that song was done by one of the guys for our project; 1) our guy wasn't given any credit for it, 2) none of us want there to be two customs sites, and 3) that guy happens to be hosting his files on our web server. We're hoping we can convince him to just drop the work on his site and join us, because otherwise we have to drop his songs from our hosting, and ugh drama

Oh, that's super lovely. :( I hope you guys can work things out between you guys. Even if you guys decide to keep things on separate sites (which wouldn't be the most horrible thing in the world), they definitely need to get their own hosting either way, but yeah hopefully there won't be some big schism between you guys.

Internet aint worth drama.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No vocals no masterpiece :colbert:

The T
May 29, 2010

So I made something really dumb.

I had a spreadsheet of all the Guitar Hero songs lying around on my hard drive, and decided to make a cleaner-to-go-through list of the GH2RB3 songs. This list does not contain any links so it won't be :f--it won't be files.

If you're curious!

First spreadsheet is all songs that have customs; second is all GH songs (for games they have listed), 3rd is a sheet I based this whole thing on, which just includes all the songs from all the games that can export into each other (so WT onward) and an analysis of how they export (I was really bored when I made this), and 4th sheet is the total number of possible songs playable in each game. :v:

There may very well be errors or duplicates as I didn't do a lot of double checking on it. But hey, at least now you can look through all the songs by artist rather than by game, to try to find something that might interest you. :)

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

pksage posted:

While it would be admittedly nice for a one-stop-shop, any "custom" that's basically just a song that's otherwise for sale by Harmonix (be it DLC or expansion) strikes me as a really bad idea.

For people who have authored customs and would like them considered for C3 release, what's the best way to submit them to you guys? Reaper and Magma files?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

"Old Time Rock & Roll" crashes the game if you try to play Pro Guitar or Pro Bass.

The T
May 29, 2010

And so with the new version of the RBHP out, I'm now left with one question...

What is the "infamous" blue drum note issue in Next To You?

(Seriously though, new process for RBHP, while maybe arguably slightly more work, is not much work at all and totally feasible. It was quick and painless.)

EDIT: Actually, I do have another question.

For this first time I'm going to just rebuild my cache again, but, in the future, every time new upgrades are released (for songs I already own), will a total cache rebuild be needed? Based on my understanding of how it works, it seems like that'd be the case, but I feel like I'm missing something...

I guess either that or just deleting the songs that are being updated and re-loading them, but for 20 LRB songs at a time, that'd be time consuming. :v:

The T fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

The T posted:

What is the "infamous" blue drum note issue in Next To You?

I can't tell if this question is serious so I'll just play it straight! The intro of Next To You in RB1 had a few red+blue+kicks where the blue was charted accidentally charted a 64th note after the red+kick so if you hit all three at the same time it would register red+kick and then a mishit (because you're not allowed to hit notes out of order) and then the blue would slide by for another miss. The only way to hit it was to hit red+kick, let that register and then hit blue really really fast which was awkward and awful. IIRC one song out of the Locksley pack had the same problem because that was rushed (nyuk) through the pipeline? Anyway I think they fixed the issue with a title update right before RB2 hit so drum charts with that issue wouldn't gently caress your combo.

• Locked thread