Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Mio Bison posted:

I can't tell if this question is serious so I'll just play it straight! The intro of Next To You in RB1 had a few red+blue+kicks where the blue was charted accidentally charted a 64th note after the red+kick so if you hit all three at the same time it would register red+kick and then a mishit (because you're not allowed to hit notes out of order) and then the blue would slide by for another miss. The only way to hit it was to hit red+kick, let that register and then hit blue really really fast which was awkward and awful. IIRC one song out of the Locksley pack had the same problem because that was rushed (nyuk) through the pipeline? Anyway I think they fixed the issue with a title update right before RB2 hit so drum charts with that issue wouldn't gently caress your combo.

Yeah, it was a genuine question, and wow, that is super weird. Neat to have a fix then.

If the update "fixed" it, then, does missing it just mean it won't break your combo but you're just not getting points for it, or what?

And also, from a song point of view, the blue is supposed to be at the same time as the red+kick, in terms of what's actually being played on the song, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Orange Harrison posted:

"Old Time Rock & Roll" crashes the game if you try to play Pro Guitar or Pro Bass.

This is known and fixed, the new version just needs to be uploaded.

edit: Our first regular weekly release is up! We've got the RBHP update, with about half of Lego RB (keys on The Final Countdown!) and a bunch of RBN updates, and two new singles: Rush's "Xanadu" and Taylor Swift's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together".

pksage fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

The T posted:

I guess either that or just deleting the songs that are being updated and re-loading them, but for 20 LRB songs at a time, that'd be time consuming. :v:

But Lego is a single pack, so you'd delete/move the whole thing, do the cache rebuild, add the upgrades then redownload/move the pack back.

Doing it that way the first time sucks rear end though, because there are quite a few singles (hello RB1 export :v:) you have to go through this process with.

The T
May 29, 2010

whypick1 posted:

But Lego is a single pack, so you'd delete/move the whole thing, do the cache rebuild, add the upgrades then redownload/move the pack back.

Doing it that way the first time sucks rear end though, because there are quite a few singles (hello RB1 export :v:) you have to go through this process with.

Thank you for pointing out I am an idiot. :cripes:

Well, at least now I understand why, for DLC, they focus on doing song packs as a group...

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The new RBHP update adds pro drum support for the three Third Eye Blind RBN songs. :woop:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Feels good to not only have "Dani California"/"Black Hole Sun" running on TU4, but to have them both with harmony upgrades. :smug:

Wasn't sure if I could achieve both, but glad to see that it's possible! So now I can run RB3 with custom songs, RBHP upgrades, Dani California/Black Hole Sun intact, and the save file with my created characters (although I'm not sure about scores). If anyone's having trouble with this, feel free to ask questions and I'll take a stab at it.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

DancinBrud posted:

The new RBHP update adds pro drum support for the three Third Eye Blind RBN songs. :woop:

:worship: You guys rock, keep up the hard work!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Flops posted:

:worship: You guys rock, keep up the hard work!

I had nothing to do with it, but I do also love it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I love having customs. Rediscovered Lay Down from Priestess that was originally in GH3. Unfortunately as soon as the singing started I had flashbacks of the horror that was the GH3 singer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBRHea1GfvE

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I encountered some HOPO notes immediately following like-colored regular notes in a custom I was just playing (e.g. strumming green and having a green HOPO note right after it). Is that one of those things that isn't supposed to happen? I haven't studied charting protocol, but it felt wrong as soon as I played it. Probably an artifact of the Guitar Hero translation, in this case. If it is indeed wrong I'll try to leave feedback through the appropriate channels.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
That should never happen (though harmonix has made an exception to the rule at least once, to make Jerry Was A Racecar Driver tappable on bass).

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Minidust posted:

I encountered some HOPO notes immediately following like-colored regular notes in a custom I was just playing (e.g. strumming green and having a green HOPO note right after it). Is that one of those things that isn't supposed to happen? I haven't studied charting protocol, but it felt wrong as soon as I played it. Probably an artifact of the Guitar Hero translation, in this case. If it is indeed wrong I'll try to leave feedback through the appropriate channels.

There's no code preventing it from happening, but yeah, it's something that was generally considered a bug. On RB2 disc songs, you can find a handful of instances of it happening (the HOPO chords in Bodhisattva instantly spring to mind.) If I recall, I -think- Magma checked for these in RBN and spit out error messages if it found any, but it's been awhile and I'm probably completely wrong on that. Either way, yeah. There's like a 99% chance they shouldn't be there.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Did some patch happen to this game recently that hosed up talkies/activating star power on vocals? Because it is completely hosed on my PS3.

The T
May 29, 2010

So, er, apparently there is a site that sells legitimate (band-released) multitracks for songs. That could be pretty useful...

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
Well, I've finally done it. I've paid for all the instruments.

I've now got multiple plastic regular guitars, a microphone, pro drums, pro guitar, and pro keyboard.

Take all of that, all the DLC I've bought, all the merchandise I bought during the Rock Band 2 Hay Day, the games themselves, and the $100 stage kit I had to have, and, woah.

I have spent a lot of money on Rock Band, and I regret nothing :rock:

All I can say is Rock Band was fun and different. No other game series was quite like it. I fear that all future "different games" like Rock Band will make use of motion control garbage with the Kinect. We'll see what the future holds.

Thanks Harmonix for all the fun, but I'm not done. I'll keep on rocking until my Xbox 360 breaks.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

The T posted:

So, er, apparently there is a site that sells legitimate (band-released) multitracks for songs. That could be pretty useful...

Uhhh looking at their song selection I wouldn't be surprised if they are just pulling audio files from rock band.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Yeah, there are tons of web sites that claim to have multitracks for songs but are in fact just reposting decrypted .moggs from Rock Band and Guitar Hero.
Those games are pretty much the only public containers of pop music master tracks.
As such if they are really selling them, that puts it into a whole new territory of :filez: since they didn't license the tracks.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

THE RED MENACE posted:

Uhhh looking at their song selection I wouldn't be surprised if they are just pulling audio files from rock band.

Doesn't seem like it. Here's Oblivion by Mastodon, which as far as I'm aware isn't in Rock Band. And here's Too Young to Fall in Love, Space-Dyed Vest, Angel of Death, Midnight Rider. I guess they could be pulling from Guitar Hero, but I don't think any game has Angel of Death or Midnight Rider...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

SatansBestBuddy posted:

...but I don't think any game has Angel of Death or Midnight Rider...

Uhhhh.....

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Runaway Five posted:

Well, I've finally done it. I've paid for all the instruments.

I've now got multiple plastic regular guitars, a microphone, pro drums, pro guitar, and pro keyboard.

Take all of that, all the DLC I've bought, all the merchandise I bought during the Rock Band 2 Hay Day, the games themselves, and the $100 stage kit I had to have, and, woah.

I have spent a lot of money on Rock Band, and I regret nothing :rock:

All I can say is Rock Band was fun and different. No other game series was quite like it. I fear that all future "different games" like Rock Band will make use of motion control garbage with the Kinect. We'll see what the future holds.

Thanks Harmonix for all the fun, but I'm not done. I'll keep on rocking until my Xbox 360 breaks.

Same here, brother. Not only to justify the spending, but because it's loving fun. My friends agree, and it hasn't been an issue hosting RB parties.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I just got customs up an running in about 20 minutes. This blows guitar hero 2 modding out of the water, that poo poo took hours for single songs. Oh my god this is exactly what I needed. Thank you guys!

Sgoast
Sep 1, 2006

"I don't think I can stand it."

THE RED MENACE posted:

...or maybe it's just more likely that artists that are more comfortable with their songs being added to a game that requires multitrack masters for the purpose of dropping tracks in and out would probably be more comfortable with their songs being added to an app that requires multitrack masters for the purpose of dropping tracks in and out?

Listen, if you spent the time and money preparing stems for usage in one of these funny music games, you'll probably want to get as much money out if as possible. Same reason you saw songs appearing in Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Rocksmith, Singstar, Lips, and pretty much any music game around the same time. Besides, if the dude from Toto thinks it's legit, it must be legit.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a way to open up an existing RB3con file and check/uncheck flags in the metadata? Might play around with the song rating flag (FF/SR/M) if that's possible. I'm guessing you can't do anything once a finished con file has been compiled, but figured I'd check.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Sgoast posted:

Listen, if you spent the time and money preparing stems for usage in one of these funny music games, you'll probably want to get as much money out if as possible.

I don't think you know how the process works. Harmonix licenses the stems and then has their own team re-mix and master the song and "prepare the stems" to match the commercial recording. This has absolutely no cost to the copyright-holder, unless they choose to exert effort to find missing masters or something. If anything they MAKE money because someone is paying them licensing fees AND doing all the work themselves.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Minidust posted:

Is there a way to open up an existing RB3con file and check/uncheck flags in the metadata? Might play around with the song rating flag (FF/SR/M) if that's possible. I'm guessing you can't do anything once a finished con file has been compiled, but figured I'd check.

Yes you can but you'll have to rebuild your entire cache again for the changes to take effect. :mmmhmm:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Back in the day of GH2 modding there was a bunch of people doing charts of OCRemix stuff for the guitar tracks (and sometimes bass). Is any of that sort of stuff still happening or is it only licensed acts and ponies? Basically I am asking if anyone knows where I can find that really funk rock remix of Mystic Cave Zone for Rock Band.

E: this might have been the guitar well world tour custom music thing actually. Either way, I remember having some awesome OCR customs on GH2

The T
May 29, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Back in the day of GH2 modding there was a bunch of people doing charts of OCRemix stuff for the guitar tracks (and sometimes bass). Is any of that sort of stuff still happening or is it only licensed acts and ponies? Basically I am asking if anyone knows where I can find that really funk rock remix of Mystic Cave Zone for Rock Band.

I've only seen one but it was Expert Guitar only. Doesn't stop you from learning to do it, though! Preferably with drums and everything too, us drummers need weird video game music.

Orange Harrison posted:

Yes you can but you'll have to rebuild your entire cache again for the changes to take effect. :mmmhmm:

Similar question; I've seen the "Mature" rating on some Customs, which as far as I know wasn't ever used on any Harmonix DLC; but it still exists, then? Like it was preexisting. Are there any preexesting "Sources" (ie, "DLC", "RBN", "Rock Band 2") that exist in the coding? Or anything else interesting (I know it hasn't fully been delved into much.)

Orange Harrison posted:

I don't think you know how the process works. Harmonix licenses the stems and then has their own team re-mix and master the song and "prepare the stems" to match the commercial recording. This has absolutely no cost to the copyright-holder, unless they choose to exert effort to find missing masters or something. If anything they MAKE money because someone is paying them licensing fees AND doing all the work themselves.

As far as remixing, I don't think Harmonix actually does modify the sound of the tracks in any way (or if so, not signifigantly). Alex Navarro even mentions the one time that a band sent an un-filtered/un-modified/pre-"studio"-ing version of the song, which is still in Rock Band as DLC to this day:

Alex Navarro posted:

Still, I think maybe my favorite all-time goof involved a relatively unremarkable song, considering the scope of the catalog. At some point, generally forgettable alt-metal band Papa Roach put out a few songs as DLC, including their hit single "Last Resort." Hilariously, the version provided to Harmonix wasn't the usual mastered recording typically sent over, but rather the original stems, sans any filtering, effects, or other studio magic designed to make musicians sound, well, good. Through some amazing set of circumstances, those tracks made their way through the entire DLC production process and ended up in the in-game store, resulting in a version of the song that sounded like a cheap, lovely demo recording. In truth, I believe it is actually the recording used on the album, but without the processing required to make the instruments sound better, and without any effects on singer Jacoby Shaddix's vocals. One of my secret loves of the Rock Band series is that it let music nerds pick apart individual instrument tracks, listening for bits and pieces you might not have noticed. This was maybe the perfect bizarre example of this, in that it pulled back the curtain in an unintended way and let you see exactly what a popular band might sound like before studio magic makes them sound presentable.

The T fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 13, 2013

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Here's some stuff for you, Minidust and The T:

quote:

('hopo_threshold' 90)
Set the window for HOPOS! Make your Medium difficulty charts not suck!

('song_scroll_speed' 2300)
This controls the scroll speed of the VOCAL HUD. Nothing else. I believe the value represents milliseconds for a word to scroll all the way across the screen. As such, lower values make the words scroll faster. 2300 is the default, and the "normal" scroll speed when compiling in Magma. Magma's "fast" setting is 2000. "In Bloom" uses some crazy high value for an extra slow scroll. "Love Man" has a value of 1700, possibly the fastest vocal scroll in the entire RB catalog. My custom for "Hardware Store" needs a value of 1650 to prevent the lighting-paced lyrics from overflowing off-screen.

('anim_tempo' 16)
This is what animation bank the characters will use. Interestingly it sometimes uses a name, like "kTempoMedium", or a numeric value, depending on how old the song is.

('preview' 90000 120000)
The window in milliseconds that the song select screen preview is.
(
'rank'
('drum' 178)
('guitar' 221)
('bass' 135)
('vocals' 175)
('keys' 0)
('real_keys' 0)
(real_guitar 215)
(real_bass 200)
('band' 215)
)The difficulty of each instrument. A value from 1 to 500. 0 is "NO PART". What "tier" this falls under depends on what RB game you're playing, since each game has a different cutoff for each tier so that the on-disc setlist is evenly split up between all difficulties. This is why songs are different tiers in different games. This is also where you discover that Pro Drums and Harmonies tiering is a sham and literally is a clone of the normal drums and solo vocals tiers. But you already knew that.

('genre' 'classicrock')
Self-explanatory

('vocal_gender' 'male')
Self-explanatory

('version' 30)
I think this has to do with different iterations of RB DLC. Now I don't mean RB1, RB2, RB3, I mean dozens of interal changes and such as they added new features and future-proofed their formats, and this value tells the game how to read the metadata correctly since by now there are tons of different ways to parse a Rock Band file. Changing it will likely break EVERYTHING.

('format' 10)
Same as above.

('album_art' 1)
Setting this to "0" will probably result in the generic ROCK BAND artwork.

('year_released' 1963) The "real" year for a song. Used when filtering by decade.
('year_recorded' 1988) The "other" year. Appears in parenthesis. Used to designate re-records or other delayed releases.
('rating' 1) 1 = everyone, 2 = teen, 3 = mature, 4 = unrated
('sub_genre' 'subgenre_classicrock') Subgenre was used in RBN1 and I think abandoned now? Has no effect on the song select screen.
('tuning_offset_cents' 0.00) This adjusts the pitch reading for songs that are slightly between keys. I don't yet know how to use it :(
('guide_pitch_volume' 0.00) How loud the guide pitch is when practicing vocals.

('game_origin' 'rb3_dlc')
For the love of god, people set this to rb3_dlc before releasing your customs. That way RB3 will read and sort your songs with official DLC and NOT with RBN material. This also enables you to take Pro songs into the trainers if you've written trainers for them (RBN songs are blocked from Training mode even if they have Pro parts and sections). No wait, I found out this will break your venue animation if you set the source to "rb3_dlc". Don't do it.

(
'album_name'
"Past Masters"
)
('album_track_number' 7)
(real_guitar_tuning (0 0 0 0 0 0))
(real_bass_tuning (0 0 0 0))
The tuning values for Pro Guitar and Pro Bass. I haven't done any songs in alternative tuning yet so I don't know how to fandangle it.

(vocal_tonic_note 2)
REALLY loving IMPORTANT OKAY. Value is semitones from C in a musical scale, so 0=C, 1=C#, 11=B etc. This is the "key" the song is in for the vocal scroll, and has to be set so that a song has the Beatles and RB3-era horizontal ledger lines. Without it the scroll uses the generic RB1 lines. IF YOU TAKE ANY PRIDE IN YOUR CUSTOMS YOU WRITE THIS VALUE. To higher skill level vocal players, a tonic value is as important as Breakneck Speed is to higher skill level guitar players. Also harmonies are IMPOSSIBLE to infer without it. I'm the guy who got the RBHP manager to start patching these in.

(song_tonality 0)
SUPPOSED to flag if a song is dominantly in a major or minor key, affecting the vocal ledger lines accordingly. But it doesn't really work well. Setting it to "1" to indicate a minor song just keeps the same ledger lines, but ties the tonic to the major 3rd line, so that the 5th line now represents a minor 3rd up. Lazy and counterintuitive to read. Probably an unfinished leftover feature as almost no songs use it, even ones in minor keys. Just keep it at 0.
)

There's tons more flags, mostly obsolete and abandoned, and tons of different ways to write the songs.dta depending on when the DLC came out. Rock Band 3 is VERY robust because there are literally dozens of different ways these things are formatted that have changed over the years.
Edit: RIP tables

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 15, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Fascinating stuff!:cheers: So is RB3maker the program that could examine these flags in an existing con, or should I be looking at something else? Just installed RB3maker but it's pretty barren-looking as far as UI goes.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

RB3maker turns a session file into a CON. You need a con editing program to then adjust the files inside. I use Le Fluffie to inject a songs.dta modified with the RB3 features I described above. I also use it to switch out album art with any official art if a song from the same album has been in RB before. That way the album art is consistent when scrolling and you don't have that annoying slightly-different-image effect.

E: I'm a dumbass. Yes, RB3maker will extract the songs.dta when it creates the CON. You use notepad to read and edit the songs.dta, and then you need Le Fluffie to inject your modified dta into the Con.
E2: I should adjust my wording before you corrupt everything. By "Inject" I don't mean literally inject. Navigate in the CON to the original songs.dta, right click it and select "replace" and replace it with your modified dta. Then you also have to click some "recompile" button somewhere in the program. If you don't do this your entire thing will become corrupt.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The T posted:

I've only seen one but it was Expert Guitar only. Doesn't stop you from learning to do it, though! Preferably with drums and everything too, us drummers need weird video game music.

Yes indeed, by Virt if you're taking requests. :v:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress.

I guess I should go back and buy all those songs I either missed or was too broke to buy at the time. Now that the DLC train is over it seems like the ideal time to buy Jukebox Hero. :v:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yes indeed, by Virt if you're taking requests. :v:

Seconded.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Now that the DLC train is over it seems like the ideal time to buy Jukebox Hero. :v:

I don't know. Do you secretly hate the song? The vocalist is pretty yucky. I was all, "I play mostly vocals anyway, I'll just mute the vocalist :v:," but I probably should have bought a different song with that dollar! Or another pro upgrade!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I love the song, so much so that the cover just wasn't good enough, I had to have the real deal version, so I held off on buying it, cause I knew, I KNEW, that HMX would get the real song someday. I knew this long before replacing covers with non-covers was even a thing.

Welp. Guess I'm buying the cover version after all.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Personally, I like that I can easily find my customs by just browsing the RBN category. I have 1400 or so regular dlc and about 40 RBN so if it's all the same I hope they keep it the way it's been. Who needs trainers anyway?

Also, I take issue with the notion that breakneck speed is important to all good guitarists. It's a crutch :v:

Dr Zaius fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 14, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

So I'm having a weird problem.

Every time I put new files on my USB stick, they load on there; and then if I either A. load them onto the 360 or B. close them in Party Buffalo and then immediately re-open them, they are gone.

Files that were originally there stay there. It's just (some of) the new files I add not staying.

I did a full format on it, and then added everything en masse, and there is still a selection of stuff that didn't go through. (The last few things?)

It doesn't seem like my USB drive is full (according to the 360/Party Buffalo). Is it probable that there could just be something wrong with it? It's only an 8 GB anyway so I should really go get a 32 GB when I have a little free cash, but just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
There's some kind of limit on how many files can be in the same folder on USB keys as far as I can tell. I ran into the same problem everytime I reached around 250 songs. Once you reach the limit the only thing you can do is delete the folder, create a new one with a different name and then rename it to 00000001. If I were you I'd move everything to your harddrive through the dash, copy the title update/songcache back to the usb key and in Party Buffalo create a new folder alongside 00000001, put the songcache there, delete the old 00000001 which should be empty and rename the new folder to 00000001. Then you should be able to add files again. If that doesn't make sense, move everything to your harddrive and format the usb key again.

I wish I knew why there's a limit, but I've run into it twice now and just keep track of how many customs I have on the drive at any given time. There's no problem moving customs to your harddrive anyway.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Dr Zaius posted:

Personally, I like that I can easily find my customs by just browsing the RBN category. I have 1400 or so regular dlc and about 40 RBN so if it's all the same I hope they keep it the way it's been. Who needs trainers anyway?

Also, I take issue with the notion that breakneck speed is important to all good guitarists. It's a crutch :v:

Whatever you say, still no reason to fail to include tonic note info for vocalists. It's been a requirement for years and without it your song is literally below standard for vocalists.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
OK? I'm not sure what I have to do with that. I didn't say anything about vocals, I don't sing. I just said breakneck speed isn't that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
Isn't there a source flag for 'custom' instead of 'rbn' or 'rb lego', i saw someones tracklist on youtube with 'custom' as a header.

Myself, I just sort by playcount and play the songs I haven't played yet.

• Locked thread