Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

A relative shares just about every positive, happy, touch-feely story and picture she comes across. All those "If u have a sister who is your best friend share dis", and things like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

:byodame:"I believe money is a tool of evil capitalists, but I need my internet so here's 5 euros."

I like to read that list as if it's in order of importance.
- Openly feminist student of history
- Open minded to other lifestyles and tolerant of different worldviews (sharing my own is a plus)
- Washing machine in the unit
- Against terror, chauvinism, and US imperialism.
- etc.

Ehh, willing to compromise on the anti-terrorism part as long as I don't have to walk to the laundromat to wash my clothes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Stoatbringer posted:

A relative shares just about every positive, happy, touch-feely story and picture she comes across. All those "If u have a sister who is your best friend share dis", and things like

and that man was black science man

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Why would she have to check with the captain anyway? Surely he has better stuff to do than be the star of a chain mail forward, like flying the loving plane?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Suzuki Method posted:

Why would she have to check with the captain anyway? Surely he has better stuff to do than be the star of a chain mail forward, like flying the loving plane?
CNN is now reporting that this is what led to MH370's disappearance.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ThatPazuzu posted:

I will disown my daughter if she isn't a misandryist hulk-thing, tbh.

Squats give you a butt that drives your preferred sex crazy!! Doctors and fedora wearers don't want you to know!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Stoatbringer posted:

I remember when this story started popping up, and I hate, hate, HATE it. Notice how the black man doesn't say a single word throughout this entire encounter? That's because it's a story invented by white people to make white people feel better about themselves, which is of course why every story of racism should be shared. It treats racism as merely a problem of obviously evil and ignorant individuals, rather than a societal problem involving people who use "code" words and people who, yes, can be absolutely normal and fine despite the fact that they're bigots. I saw people share this story on my wall who have said extremely racist things before ("oh, she's not REALLY black, she reads English literature and stuff!" :downs:) and it's awful for the same reason the movie "The Blindside" was a racist piece of poo poo that never should have won an Oscar in a normal society: it makes up stuff to prove that white people are the heroes against racism now and forever.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mister Adequate posted:

and that man was black science man

Man Neil DeGrass Tyson is in everything these days.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

I remember when this story started popping up, and I hate, hate, HATE it. Notice how the black man doesn't say a single word throughout this entire encounter? That's because it's a story invented by white people to make white people feel better about themselves, which is of course why every story of racism should be shared. It treats racism as merely a problem of obviously evil and ignorant individuals, rather than a societal problem involving people who use "code" words and people who, yes, can be absolutely normal and fine despite the fact that they're bigots. I saw people share this story on my wall who have said extremely racist things before ("oh, she's not REALLY black, she reads English literature and stuff!" :downs:) and it's awful for the same reason the movie "The Blindside" was a racist piece of poo poo that never should have won an Oscar in a normal society: it makes up stuff to prove that white people are the heroes against racism now and forever.

It's sad watching normally pretty progressive people freak out when you say that To Kill A Mockingbird isn't really all that anti-racist for exactly that reason(the black characters having pretty much zero agency besides telling the white characters how good they are for not being racist).

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

My grandma pasted together two photos of my brother, him as a toddler contrasted with a recent adult photo, saying "That pout turned into a handsome smile!!"

One of her old senile friends commented:

quote:

wow yes he does look older good to see he's doing well

Wow, yes, my thirty-five year old brother looks a lot older now than when he was two. They grow so fast, don't they??

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Dan Delion is pretend marine girl I've posted about before, Joyce Tick is the guy she's been dating less than a year who has shown no signs of proposing to her (though she's posting constantly about wedding plans), and Harley and Elec are... I don't know, the stupidly named babies she thinks she's going to have with him after they get married? CJ is her son.

The true tragedy here is that she doesn't intend to stress how important leg day is for the boys

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

My grandma pasted together two photos of my brother, him as a toddler contrasted with a recent adult photo, saying "That pout turned into a handsome smile!!"

One of her old senile friends commented:

Wow, yes, my thirty-five year old brother looks a lot older now than when he was two. They grow so fast, don't they??

I love snarky old ladies on facebook.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

trapped mouse posted:

Yeah. This one kind of goes with the "nobody's gonna share this picture 'cause she's the wrong color." Slightly racist people share it to pat themselves on the back for totally not being racist.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
On the subject of grey-market medical care.

Look at the avatar.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

TinTower posted:

Look at the avatar.

You could do an entire big ol effortpost on TERFs on Twitter.

Segmentation Fault has a new favorite as of 01:07 on May 6, 2014

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

TinTower posted:

Look at the avatar.

I'm assuming you're talking about the vagina dentata, but I don't get it either way.

Edit:

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oh, so that makes a little bit more sense.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MizPiz posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about the vagina dentata, but I don't get it either way.

The "stand with texas women" in @mbelanger227's avatar refers to abortion being illegal in Texas. The avatar makes a plea for solidarity with Texas women who have to get abortions through illegal means. In other words, medical care not obtained through "the proper legal channels."

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB

I'm the "operating from a transactional perspective" and "says they keep a journal but really dont"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What's really annoying about that graphic, is that there are a few things on there that can legitimately help you be a more successful person.

But then it's intermixed with like DON'T WATCH TV, BAD PEOPLE DON'T KEEP JOURNALS, TRANSACTIONAL PERSPECTIVE, DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO BE, EXUDE JOY type idiocy.

fake edit: What's a to-be list?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Breaking news - people with mental health issues take SSRIs, and people with mental health issues go on shooting sprees. Obviously antidepressants are the only reason shootings happen, according to the very objective source ammoland.com.

I kinda want to tell her that I take SSRIs and I hate how much the pro-gun lobby is demonizing mental illness so they don't have to take any blame. Just makes it harder for me to admit to anyone IRL that I have anxiety/depression issues.

This got a little e/n and I apologize.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I do hate to split hairs, but I think every mass shooting in the last twenty years shares more than one thing in common.

I mean guns and bullets, to start with.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Cleretic posted:

I do hate to split hairs, but I think every mass shooting in the last twenty years shares more than one thing in common.

I mean guns and bullets, to start with.

And virtually always dudes.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

The "stand with texas women" in @mbelanger227's avatar refers to abortion being illegal in Texas. The avatar makes a plea for solidarity with Texas women who have to get abortions through illegal means. In other words, medical care not obtained through "the proper legal channels."

Abortion isn't illegal in Texas. Not that our politicians aren't doing their damnedest to outlaw it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

SpaceViking posted:

Abortion isn't illegal in Texas. Not that our politicians aren't doing their damnedest to outlaw it.

Also, "stand with Texas women" probably doesn't mean supporting unlicensed abortions. No one wants that to happen. It's more likely about supporting people fighting the closures of Texas's clinics.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's more about a pro-choice woman attacking someone else for obtaining necessary grey market medicine they need (in this case, oestrogen). You'd have to have a hell of a lot cognitive dissonance or a lack of understanding of history to do that.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
The posting every little detail of your life thing has gone way too far.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Breaking news - people with mental health issues take SSRIs, and people with mental health issues go on shooting sprees. Obviously antidepressants are the only reason shootings happen, according to the very objective source ammoland.com.

I kinda want to tell her that I take SSRIs and I hate how much the pro-gun lobby is demonizing mental illness so they don't have to take any blame. Just makes it harder for me to admit to anyone IRL that I have anxiety/depression issues.

This got a little e/n and I apologize.

You can link this slate article that says violence is caused by anger issues, not mental illness (of course there is some overlap).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's baby time!

Pteradactyl!

Dragonzord!

:heysexy:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's baby time!

Pteradactyl!

Dragonzord!

:heysexy:

...tyrannosaurus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCqQ-MyZXRA

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

The posting every little detail of your life thing has gone way too far.

I don't know, that's not so bad. Maybe she's on her way to the hospital or her husband is getting his shoes on/pulling the car around/whatever. Posting "I am going into labor" is fine, especially because you probably have a lot of family members that follow your twitter and would be interested in knowing that. If it was like "it's sandwich time not sure if i want mayo" then it would be stupid. Having a baby is one case where I'm kind of okay with someone announcing that.

Unless that's the joke and oh god I've fallen for it haven't I?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I think the idea was more "oh my God why are you posting this on Twitter instead of taking care of it", akin to a "house is on fire" post.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Like the poster above me said, he cud very well have a lot of time before the baby comes when the water breaks. It's not a medical emergency or anything and she's probably waiting for her husband to get there or in the car. That one is perfectly fine, if a bit TMI.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Sounds like something my wife(who is roughly 39.5 weeks pregnant) would post on facebook

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Sharing this and tagging your wife in the post probably isn't going to have the effect you're hoping for, bud...

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

OP is American as all gently caress, he's just been on vacation in Cancun for like a week or so so far(and has also used the day as an excuse to drink). Also red is loving white as hell, mostly Irish family tree, but is loving convinced she is Hispanic. Like legit believes she's reincarnated from a a latino person or something. Speaks Spanish at home, dates exclusively Hispanic men(the last two have also been undocumented immigrants and she's like blind to the why her b/f is wary of driving in places that aren't New Haven), purposely moved to the Hispanic part of town. I don't know what's worse, the "Silly Americans :smug:" trying to make a point about public holidays in foreign nations that they get wrong, the supposed reincarnated Hispanic person who has no idea what the gently caress was going on at Puebla and the French intervention in Mexico, or to a lesser extent the person who is completely oblivious onto why people in a nation where families are generally made up of a mash of recent immigrates from a variety of nationalities take interest in the ethnic parts of their family trees(although I agree Americans, namely white Americans, get a bit over the top about it)

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

Sharing this and tagging your wife in the post probably isn't going to have the effect you're hoping for, bud...

I don't think "new age" means what they think it means.

anything576
Sep 26, 2010
Speaking of pregnant people posting on facebook...

And for her final, scathing takedown of what big pharma doesn't want you to know:

It was a relief that 90% of comments were dumpstering her, although I thought my friends list
was free from posts like this.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

from a little while back, but what does this mean?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

anything576 posted:

Speaking of pregnant people posting on facebook...

And for her final, scathing takedown of what big pharma doesn't want you to know:

It was a relief that 90% of comments were dumpstering her, although I thought my friends list
was free from posts like this.

This sort of poo poo infuriates me on so many levels. There's ignoring science in general, but also as the parent of an autistic child (because 9 time out of 10, autism is why people don't vaccinate their kids). I have gotten so many people asking me if I think vaccinations caused my kid's autism, or if I regret getting him vaccinated. Because he has gotten every single one that's available as soon as he was able, including chicken pox and influenza. At least that's just them being ignorant. I get people who just outright judge me as being a neglectful parent, and causing my son's condition by getting him vaccinated, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

Am I meant to read "SPOIL HIM!" in the mortal kombat guy's voice? Because that's totally what I'm doing.

• Locked thread