Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

God I hate anti-vax poo poo. Because even if it had ALL the effects mentioned, you know what's worse than autism? Polio. Rubella. loving Smallpox. Do you people think one of the most deadly diseases in history, one which has plagued us for millennia at the least, just one day decided to retire? No! We loving murdered every last bit of Smallpox we could find! We committed global genocide of the Smallpox viruses, and we did it with vaccines!*

*Okay we have a couple of carefully guarded reserves still around but nobody has died of Smallpox in thrity-five years holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nucleicmaxid posted:

fake edit: What's a to-be list?
A to-be list is what very gullible people keep to remind themselves that yes, someday, they will totally stop being a grunt at a used car sales lot and evolve into the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. About as inexplicably and magically as Pokemon.

Why yes, I do have lot of people on my Facebook from high school days who took out six-figure loans to get their MBAs while calling themselves "client influx managers" when in reality they work as greeters at the Wal-Mart.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's even stupider than I thought!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Austrian mook posted:

from a little while back, but what does this mean?

I assume you're talking about TERF? Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist. The type of person who does something like this:

"Feminists" whose arguments as to why transwomen are men (and then use that claim to partner with groups that manufacture "bathroom scares") often boil down to the same gender essentialism arguments that misogynists use to justify their hatred and oppression of women in the first place.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I assume you're talking about TERF? Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist. The type of person who does something like this:

"Feminists" whose arguments as to why transwomen are men (and then use that claim to partner with groups that manufacture "bathroom scares") often boil down to the same gender essentialism arguments that misogynists use to justify their hatred and oppression of women in the first place.

Oh, so one minority putting down another minority, makes sense. It's actually a really common occurance.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It really saddens me that TERF is a real thing. I was just hoping it was some boogeyman that people liked to bitch about like most nonsense that goes on with Tumblr crazies but there seems to be some genuineness to it.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Oh, so one minority putting down another minority, makes sense. It's actually a really common occurance.

It's a little beyond "putting down" when it comes to Brennan and her ilk. She's outed trans people to their employers and schools, contacted their doctors to attempt to interfere in their treatment (even when that treatment is not directly related to their being trans), threatens lawsuits against anyone who criticizes her publicly, and that group she partnered with which drove a teenager to suicide watch? I guess she put aside her fears of the imminent lesbian annihilation long enough to be OK with the fact that they're an ex-gay group that thinks that her lesbianism was caused by sexual abuse and thinks she should undergo conversion therapy. (EDIT: I know she claimed to not have any affiliation with PJI, but she spoke on their behalf after the fact and she's not exactly picky who she stands or works with as long as they hate trans people as much as she does)

No, really.

It's not just "putting down". It's literally trying to destroy another minority.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 09:42 on May 6, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Austrian mook posted:

It's called horizontal hostility, but this woman is reaching psychotic levels.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Janice Raymond, c. 1979 posted:

I contend that the problem with transsexualism would best be served by morally mandating it out of existence.

There's been a lot of thread worthy stuff from these sorts of women attack anyone who dares say hello to a trans woman, but it's the first time I've seen someone literally advocate tighter controls on estrogen to score a point on trans people.

Of course, bringing up stuff like the Jane Collective, buyer's clubs, or abortion flights in Ireland didn't seem to change her mind.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mister Adequate posted:

God I hate anti-vax poo poo. Because even if it had ALL the effects mentioned, you know what's worse than autism? Polio. Rubella. loving Smallpox. Do you people think one of the most deadly diseases in history, one which has plagued us for millennia at the least, just one day decided to retire? No! We loving murdered every last bit of Smallpox we could find! We committed global genocide of the Smallpox viruses, and we did it with vaccines!*

*Okay we have a couple of carefully guarded reserves still around but nobody has died of Smallpox in thrity-five years holy poo poo

In other news, didn't the WHO recently declare polio to be an international emergency? Polio in 2014; and these people are still arguing that vaccines are bad.

And the only people they're putting in danger with this poo poo are their kids.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

In other news, didn't the WHO recently declare polio to be an international emergency? Polio in 2014; and these people are still arguing that vaccines are bad.

And the only people they're putting in danger with this poo poo are their kids.

If only - more unvaccinated kids means less herd immunity, so they're endangering everyone else's kids as well.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah good point - what I meant to say is that they're not really putting themselves as risk (Until they get really old and depend on herd immunity)

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Buzkashi posted:

If only - more unvaccinated kids means less herd immunity, so they're endangering everyone else's kids as well.

This might be naive, but could schools insist on vaccinations? Could anti-vaccers be held legally accountable for the risk they pose to other people's children?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah good point - what I meant to say is that they're not really putting themselves as risk (Until they get really old and depend on herd immunity)

Except that they kind of are. Widespread use of vaccination literally eradicated smallpox. Every anti-vaxxer makes it hard to eliminate the other things that medical science is systematically destroying. Herd immunity isn't as much of an issue if a disease literally ceases existing.

ThatPazuzu posted:

It's called horizontal hostility, but this woman is reaching psychotic levels.

What I'd like to know is how it even makes a single bit of sense. Last I checked one of the central values of feminism was "gender roles are dumb let's get rid of them." I'm pretty sure that enforcing gender identity at birth kind of goes against that. But then, I'm a straight, cisgendered human male so what do I know?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I'd like to know is how it even makes a single bit of sense. Last I checked one of the central values of feminism was "gender roles are dumb let's get rid of them." I'm pretty sure that enforcing gender identity at birth kind of goes against that. But then, I'm a straight, cisgendered human male so what do I know?

That's a tenant of third wave feminism. TERFs are kind of stuck on the worst parts of second wave feminism, and on being discriminating asses. There are a lot of, sometimes highly visible, lesbians and straight women who see trans women as men trying to encroach on their hard won safe spaces. And yet again, trans men are either an afterthought or not thought about at all.

Chiparus
May 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When I've seen them rage about transpeople in comments on blogs, it seems that they think transwomen just want some of that awesome female superiority and that's wrong and bad, etc. Also, they think transmen are wrong and bad for abandoning feminist ranks and going to get some of that awesome male superiority.

It's ridiculous that they are revealing just how much internalized misogyny they have and how insecure they are.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Trans are sort of reinforcing the idea that intrinsic gender roles DO exist, in opposition to some schools of feminism. "I am a woman, and I want to wear skirts and makeup like women do" is implicitly imposing gender norms on cis women. People who merely want to be gender queer or androgynous and be pretty men who wear skirts and make up are not a threat in the same way a transwoman is.

Wanting abolish gender roles means everyone is free to be as "masculine" or "feminine" as they like, but penis-havers still have to use the men's bathroom.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

grittyreboot posted:

This might be naive, but could schools insist on vaccinations? Could anti-vaccers be held legally accountable for the risk they pose to other people's children?

Public schools mostly do require certain vaccinations. You can get an exemption for medical or religious reasons. A medical exemption requires a form from the child's doctor explaining their medical condition and why it would be medically unsound for that child to be vaccinated. If it isn't clear, the school can further question why a medical exemption is warranted.

A religious exemption requires a note from a parent saying "vaccines are against my religion". :geno: They usually do not have to state what religion they are, or point out any specific religious doctrine that is opposed to vaccination. So basically anyone that is willing to lie about their religion has a free pass.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Why would you add this as a life event?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Probably to get someone to offer a place to stay without directly asking.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah I'd say that counts as a major life event, and reaching out to your social network and going "Hey guys, I don't have a place to live" seems like a pretty smart thing to do.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Am I meant to read "SPOIL HIM!" in the mortal kombat guy's voice? Because that's totally what I'm doing.

I posted the same thing earlier in the thread. :) :hf: :)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
On the anti vax thing.

I do volunteer work with a group that among other things looks after a local cemetery. There are some pretty old graves in there, mostly pre war and many dating back to the 1800s. Look at a few of those and then try to claim "children's bodies have everything they need to keep them healthy"; the number of infants graves, or family graves with multiple babies and toddlers dying just a few years apart will tell a very different story.

Babies dying today is actually pretty rare in the developed and even much of the partially-developed/rapidly developing world. Before widespread vaccination, clean water and availability of antibiotics (and even today in regions where one or more of those things is not available), it was expected that many or even most babies would not see their fifth birthday. I was speaking to an older fella at work today, and his grandfather had SEVEN siblings who had died in infancy.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

:stare: This person is taking a stand on an important issue you should know about.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

belt posted:

:stare: This person is taking a stand on an important issue you should know about.

:v: I don't care if I get food poisoning from eating undercooked meat! gently caress you for trying to look out for me! I want my sandwich the way I want it!

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The bacon is already cooked so it's irrelevant.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

belt posted:

Subway probably won't understand what she's trying to tell them if she writes letters of complaint like she writes on FB. Guy might get a raise.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

No! Why is she posting this? She's never posted stupid stuff before. I know this isn't terrible in comparison with the other ignorant stuff in this thread. But I never expected to see a "Guv'ment wanna take are guns" meme from her.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I thought their bacon was already cooked, and they were merely rewarming it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orgophlax posted:

I thought their bacon was already cooked, and they were merely rewarming it?

It is cooked, but perhaps it isn't stored at a safe temperature? That would be a pretty dumb thing to do though.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Chiparus posted:

When I've seen them rage about transpeople in comments on blogs, it seems that they think transwomen just want some of that awesome female superiority and that's wrong and bad, etc. Also, they think transmen are wrong and bad for abandoning feminist ranks and going to get some of that awesome male superiority.

It's ridiculous that they are revealing just how much internalized misogyny they have and how insecure they are.

This exactly, tbh the reasons TERFs hate trans women is the exact same reason that they harass any cis woman who they see as conforming to "patriarchal standards of femininity" They harass women who wear heels, women who are sex workers, basically any woman who doesn't defy gender norms (I.e. dress and act butch/masculine); they've internalized misogyny where they abhor anything they see as being remotely accepting or embracing of femininity.

basically, terfs are the worst most anti-feminist feminists around. :barf:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

It is cooked, but perhaps it isn't stored at a safe temperature? That would be a pretty dumb thing to do though.

Well even if it is stored at a safe temperature, it's probably a "better safe than sorry" thing just in case something was messed up and not keeping it at the temperature it was supposed to.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
I'm confused as to how you make a "melt" without heating up the ingredients?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nippythefish posted:

I'm confused as to how you make a "melt" without heating up the ingredients?

I'm confused as to how an actual human being prefers bacon to be cold.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm confused as to how an actual human being prefers bacon to be cold.

Well, I find cold bacon better in a BLT, for example. But in a melt, usually it's better warm.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
For the subway thing, the subway melt, is a hot sandwich, hence the melt. If she didn't want it hot she should have ordered The subway club. This is probably why Te employee was confused. :goonsay:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Angela Christine posted:

Trans are sort of reinforcing the idea that intrinsic gender roles DO exist, in opposition to some schools of feminism. "I am a woman, and I want to wear skirts and makeup like women do" is implicitly imposing gender norms on cis women. People who merely want to be gender queer or androgynous and be pretty men who wear skirts and make up are not a threat in the same way a transwoman is.

Wanting abolish gender roles means everyone is free to be as "masculine" or "feminine" as they like, but penis-havers still have to use the men's bathroom.

I wouldn't agree with that. I think I've linked it before, but Prasad has a good takedown of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jboufr1jvrp8i4a/Reconsidering%20the%20socio-scientific.pdf

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Who's a what now?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Stoatbringer posted:

Who's a what now?

TERFs and misogynists often use the same arguments. One of them is that a person's gender assigned at birth is immutable and that someone born in a male body is always male, and will/should do masculine things and so anyone (read: People who are transgendered) who is assigned male by birth and trying to become female is clearly trying to do so for less than savory reasons. Like sneaking into the women's restrooms, etc.
Basically, it's justification to say there's no reason for transgendered people to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

TERFs and misogynists often use the same arguments. One of them is that a person's gender assigned at birth is immutable and that someone born in a male body is always male, and will/should do masculine things and so anyone (read: People who are transgendered) who is assigned male by birth and trying to become female is clearly trying to do so for less than savory reasons. Like sneaking into the women's restrooms, etc.
Basically, it's justification to say there's no reason for transgendered people to exist.

This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say. I should also add that a lot of them use the exact same arguments that were used to justify hate and legal action against homosexuals - that gender identity other than your birth identity is a mental illness, that trans people are trying to "convert" other people (in this case, the claim is usually "obtaining sex through deception"), etc. Which is kind of hosed up when you see how many of them are lesbians. It all reeks of special pleading - "Those arguments weren't true when they were used against my minority, but you should totally try to wipe out this other minority because of them".

Angela Christine posted:

And if a transwoman were to prefer to wear t-shirts and jeans, work on cars, and play football, TERFs would use that as evidence that she's just a man. There is literally nothing a trans person can do that will not garner them hatred from TERFs. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't argument that has nothing to do with actual threats to the concept of abolishing gender roles and everything to do with not wanting someone who was born with a Y chromosome to identify as female. Or people who were born with XX and ambiguous genitalia, but were raised as male by their parents, because once a child has been told they're a boy they are a boy forever and cannot ever be allowed to be a girl. But I guess that makes my friend a "penis-haver" because she underwent surgery at birth to give her one, chromosomal evidence of being female aside, right?

TERFs - Brennan especially - don't give a flying gently caress about abolishing gender roles in toto, only for "women born women". That even comes down to spewing vitriol at self-identified "butch" lesbians, because it's OK to act like a stereotypical male, as long as you don't actually say that you're doing so.

• Locked thread