Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

KoB posted:

I'd say way too many plot threads were just dropped, either he got the chance to end it or it was cancelled.

I don't think it's much of a secret that he was unsure on how to continue the story in a meaningful way or just lost interest a couple of years ago. Maybe he thought the OVAs would renew interest but they were crap sooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I would have liked to see more of China and the Phoenix Alliance. Thinking about it. It would have been fun to have Kenichi go to Thailand with Apa and to China with Ma or Ranka. For as diverse as some of the characters are Kenichi leaves Japan like twice.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Guyver posted:

I would have liked to see more of China and the Phoenix Alliance. Thinking about it. It would have been fun to have Kenichi go to Thailand with Apa and to China with Ma or Ranka. For as diverse as some of the characters are Kenichi leaves Japan like twice.

It might have helped if the YAMI stuff had been kept as more of a background element - something Kenichi was aware of, but rarely ever got to be directly involved in because, you know, dangerous and stuff. Which whilst that was the case for a good chunk of the series, by the end I can't easily recall that many major fights where the Masters weren't present and weren't ultimately stealing the show. Some world hopping to deal with things that the Masters are too busy/too overkill for would have been interesting for showing off the martial arts of the world, whilst also lending to the 'third world war' angle that the series tried for later on. Or heck, the Phoenix Alliance stuff would have at least made sense by sheer volume. Kensei was supposed to have several thousand students - an easy enough excuse for YAMI to try and take it over.

But yeah, I'm curious on Matsuena's new project. Apparently the same issue Kenichi ends will be the one carrying the announcement. Another martial art series maybe? Something more sci-fi? Fantasy? Slice of life?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Just hopefully it's not a full series based on that weird 3dcg fantasy thing he made.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I expected the series to end with this arc but not in such a rushed manner. Definitely getting the feeling that either the author lost interest or the series was put on the chopping block by editors. It's a shame because it seems like there was a lot of ground left to cover, and a lot of subplots aren't going to be resolved.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Could it be a non-ending? Like I never read Dragonball Z back when, nor did I bother with Naruto when the Shippuden jump happened, but is it within the realm of possibility that it's all
"HSDK is ending! Get ready for HSDK: Shippuden Z starting next month!"

Because, yeah, it does feel kind of like a lot of hanging threads are still there.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Could it be a non-ending? Like I never read Dragonball Z back when, nor did I bother with Naruto when the Shippuden jump happened, but is it within the realm of possibility that it's all
"HSDK is ending! Get ready for HSDK: Shippuden Z starting next month!"

Because, yeah, it does feel kind of like a lot of hanging threads are still there.

Dragonball never actually switched to Z. Dragonball Z is exactly like Shippuden in that it was a arbitrary line they made to distinguish two parts of the same material, complete with a time skip.

quote:

It might have helped if the YAMI stuff had been kept as more of a background element - something Kenichi was aware of, but rarely ever got to be directly involved in because, you know, dangerous and stuff. Which whilst that was the case for a good chunk of the series, by the end I can't easily recall that many major fights where the Masters weren't present and weren't ultimately stealing the show. Some world hopping to deal with things that the Masters are too busy/too overkill for would have been interesting for showing off the martial arts of the world, whilst also lending to the 'third world war' angle that the series tried for later on. Or heck, the Phoenix Alliance stuff would have at least made sense by sheer volume. Kensei was supposed to have several thousand students - an easy enough excuse for YAMI to try and take it over.

But yeah, I'm curious on Matsuena's new project. Apparently the same issue Kenichi ends will be the one carrying the announcement. Another martial art series maybe? Something more sci-fi? Fantasy? Slice of life?

I honestly kind of preferred the manga when it was grounded in smaller problems. Its easy to forget that apart from connections that really only showed up at the end of the arc, Odin was largely just a gang of delinquent students that hated Kenichi because of 'reasons'.

I do wish they'd kept that trend going after Odin, having most of the fights be relatively low key and perhaps even without the risk of death involved.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Caros posted:

I honestly kind of preferred the manga when it was grounded in smaller problems. Its easy to forget that apart from connections that really only showed up at the end of the arc, Odin was largely just a gang of delinquent students that hated Kenichi because of 'reasons'.

I do wish they'd kept that trend going after Odin, having most of the fights be relatively low key and perhaps even without the risk of death involved.

this is pretty much why I went from loving the series to death, to just kind of passively following it to see if it would ever end.

That, and the fight scenes suddenly exploding into naked grotesques.

Caros
May 14, 2008

LvK posted:

this is pretty much why I went from loving the series to death, to just kind of passively following it to see if it would ever end.

That, and the fight scenes suddenly exploding into naked grotesques.

Yeah, me too. I actually skipped most of the big tournament arc my first time around partly because of this.

It's just frustrating because I find an incremental manga like that to be very entertaining. Perhaps it's just me but we'll done training arcs are really interesting to me, and a manga that is nothing but training for the next challenge in interesting ways is far more interesting than save the world plot #47.

That isn't to say there can't be threats. Loss of self worth, injuries etc. Hell, even if Kenichi had made a pledge never to lose could give fights some personal edge without making them to the death, and giving a constant reason not for the Masters to intervene directly.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of what the series did, it just lost some of that charm when it tried to go big.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...Ha. Of course, talk about how they could've done more world hopping, and the idea gets included in the final chapter.

So yeah, obviously rushed again, with the final chapter offscreening a lot of the return to normalcy. Apparently Ken created the manga (or a novel version of it) in universe and won the Naoki award, and the final scene goes with the obvious answer we've probably been expecting of the series for a while. Admittedly, saying 'that's a story for another time' is fairly standard, but it does kinda feel like it invites the possibility of returning to the series some day, even just with one offs, to perhaps flesh things out or show off some of an older Kenichi's adventures.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Last Chapter

http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/583

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good to see that Niijima achieved his dream.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It was a fine last chapter though I feel that it needed a few more chapters before this one. Silly how the married picture obscures his and Miu's face.

I liked seeing crab hair suddenly show up in Siegs band. Sieg is easily one of the best characters in the story.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So that happened.

That ending is so goddamned abrupt it feels like it should be followed by 'rocks fell and everyone died.'

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If you are going to have an abrupt ending like that to a story that could have lasted as long as this one just skip to the end part of Kenichi becoming a master. I don't need to know what everyone was doing one year later.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The ending wasn't terrible and I'm glad the series ending hasn't dragged out like naruto's did, but part of me wonders if the Matsuena just got bored with the work and wanted to move on to something else.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Monaghan posted:

The ending wasn't terrible

You must have the lowest goddamn standards. It was literally a one chapter checklist at the end of an abruptly ended arc. That was one of the worst endings I've ever read.

So the entire Eternal Sunset thing was to launch one missile? And none of the big villains even get climactic fights? And we never even see the full design for the head of the weapon division? And the One Shadow Nine Fists are still running around doing ... some stupid poo poo?

It just reeks of a poor author getting bored.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Caros posted:

So that happened.

That ending is so goddamned abrupt it feels like it should be followed by 'rocks fell and everyone died.'

Replace Poochie with Kenichi and...

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
I think you mean ""became a master" not "died"

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Caros posted:

So that happened.

That ending is so goddamned abrupt it feels like it should be followed by 'rocks fell and everyone died THE ELDER PUNCHED THEM ALL'

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Silly how the married picture obscures his and Miu's face.

Author was trying to keep it vague if he really married her. Notice his wife has way shorter hair like the other masters daughter, the mouse photobombs the photo, ect.

I have no idea why he did it, it's not like he wasn't already sort of dating Miu by the end.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I, for one, am glad the author didn't try to make me care at the end after successfully making me not care for over a year now.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

NutritiousSnack posted:

Author was trying to keep it vague if he really married her. Notice his wife has way shorter hair like the other masters daughter, the mouse photobombs the photo, ect.

I have no idea why he did it, it's not like he wasn't already sort of dating Miu by the end.

I assume the brown hair girl wearing Miu's barrette in the lower photo was confirmation enough.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Renka gets her own separate photo, and the little girl in the picture having Miu's appearance but Kenichi's hair colour is an obvious giveaway.

Its likely because it means he doesn't have to draw an adult Kenichi or Miu for differing facial designs - just get one's arm up to Sakaki levels, and the other in a wedding dress, and thus easy implication they grew up without having to figure out how they grew up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I am pretty disappointed we didn't get to see Kenichi's head on a hulking 8-foot master body.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nilbop posted:

You must have the lowest goddamn standards. It was literally a one chapter checklist at the end of an abruptly ended arc. That was one of the worst endings I've ever read.

So the entire Eternal Sunset thing was to launch one missile? And none of the big villains even get climactic fights? And we never even see the full design for the head of the weapon division? And the One Shadow Nine Fists are still running around doing ... some stupid poo poo?

It just reeks of a poor author getting bored.

Nah, it's an epilogue and not a real chapter. Two weeks ago he said it was going to be ab epilogue and lo and behold it's a 7 years later where is everyone (including some minor characters) now?
For an epilogue it wasn't bad, for a chapter set after this last arc it was horrid.

Astro Nut posted:

Renka gets her own separate photo, and the little girl in the picture having Miu's appearance but Kenichi's hair colour is an obvious giveaway.

Its likely because it means he doesn't have to draw an adult Kenichi or Miu for differing facial designs - just get one's arm up to Sakaki levels, and the other in a wedding dress, and thus easy implication they grew up without having to figure out how they grew up.

Yeah it really seems lazy.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Sindai posted:

I am pretty disappointed we didn't get to see Kenichi's head on a hulking 8-foot master body.

I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't see Kenichi's head on a 3-foot-tall sex offender stereotype

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah it really seems lazy.

Shigure x Kenichi is the OTP, anyway.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Kokoro Wish posted:

I have no problem with this.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

Kenichi x Buddha Statues

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Did Renka's outfit get even more ridiculous than before? Or has that how it's always been and I just forgot since her clothes usually explode in seconds.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wasn't there supposed to be a big announcement after this chapter?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There was.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-13/kenichi-manga-shun-matsuena-draws-3-one-shots/.78739

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Harry posted:

Did Renka's outfit get even more ridiculous than before? Or has that how it's always been and I just forgot since her clothes usually explode in seconds.

Its the same outfit she's had for a while now (namely, her second), but you also have to factor in how Matsuena's artstyle has changed over the last few years.

Looks like he's testing the waters for potential new ideas though, with at least one of them looking like to be an inverse of how Kenichi started, with a high school student clearly displaying some above the norm athletic skills. As to the other two though, not a clue.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New manga?
It's good to see the mangaka moving on to completely different things.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Read up to this page, went 'nope' and closed the tab. I'm tired of this mangaka's pervy bullshit and without the investment I had in early HSDK I've found I'm not willing to put up with it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wow that was terrible.
Cookie cutter, by the pound generic.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Read up to this page, went 'nope' and closed the tab.

Yeah he's very proud of that shot.
It happens three more times (or was it four? im not checking again.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, not-Kenichi and not-Miu will probably not be seen again.

I thought the author would have the restraint of not having clothes being torn to shreds in the one-shot but I guess that was too much to ask (and it doesn't really bother me, it is just so low-effort).

Anyways, "My neighbors, the ninjas" suuuuucks.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

trucutru posted:

Well, not-Kenichi and not-Miu will probably not be seen again.

I thought the author would have the restraint of not having clothes being torn to shreds in the one-shot but I guess that was too much to ask (and it doesn't really bother me, it is just so low-effort).

Anyways, "My neighbors, the ninjas" suuuuucks.

Yeah I'm really hoping this isn't his next project. I did kind of like the way the kid talked though (or how it was translated), reminded me of Kenshin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Kenichi was a remake of some other comic he wrote. This dude is just incapable of any additional character designs or personalities. I guess this time kenichi has a sword and there's ghosts or whatever if you're into that kinda thing?

• Locked thread