Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sindai posted:

I do kind of admire the artistic chops it takes to draw a fight between two girls clad only in speed lines without any technical nudity. Truly a master of his craft.

Not really given that he just Ken and Barbie'd them any time it got awkward, and used random puffs of air most of the time he didn't do that. Still though, I thought their fight was interesting because Rachel was making her moves less powerful but flashier for an audience that wasn't there and got kind of bored when she realized no-one was watching, then got embarrassed because she was seen using dull if powerful moves. That, and the whole "kung-fu is more powerful when done in happiness and supported by friends" thing could have made the fight cool if they were played up more in favor of cheesecake I think personally.

I don't mind though, because I've been waiting for Chikage to come over because of Kenichi's friendship and not because she was physically beaten for ages now and this pretty much confirmed that's what's going to happen, even if not for another while. It might not have suited everyone to have the fight go that way, but it's certainly what I've been waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm having trouble making out something, was it two of Kensei's fingers that got ripped off like it seems, or two of Tanaka's? Either way, holy poo poo.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Page 14 of the Mangastream release is really the only option. The other pages either don't have enough going on, it's too small or difficult to make out etc. Also, did Kensei just literally explode Tanaka's head? That's certainly what the final two pages look like. If it is, then let me just reiterate my HOLY poo poo!, because god drat that deserves two of them at the least. Tanaka's final line about Kenichi not following his path also possibly hints at Kenichi moving on to the journeyman rank soon, and more directly hints at us seeing an older and more experienced Ken at some point I think.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 1, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So, assuming that this ends with Tanaka losing does this mean that Kensei becomes Kenichi's new goal? To beat him and take revenge the "right" way for Tanaka, his wife and his child?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SirDan3k posted:

Man sometimes it's easy to forget this book can have teeth. Tanaka died without being able to even scratch Kensei even after putting his life on the line, even training exclusively to fight him, even with the motivation of the loss of his entire family. It just feels so drat bleak in the try your best and you will succeed setting HSDK is.

On the other hand Tanaka did get to return to his family and help Kenichi, so he found some measure of happiness in the afterlife by the looks of things. I will say that I'll be disappointed if Kenichi doesn't use this as motivation to become stronger and beat Kensei in Tanaka's place using at least some of Tanaka's moves given that Grandpa Furinji seems to know at least a few of them. I know it's pretty unlikely, but it feels like what should happen to me regardless so I'll be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Also, while I'm sure it's kind of a disappointment for at least some in this thread that the Berserker/Kenichi fight didn't pan out it should be interesting to see him training under Kensei. Will he take any stylistic tips from him, or continue to just develop purely on his own I wonder?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AtomikKrab posted:

I think there were some that were important fights, back when they raided that castle like place?

So Rimi is alive... and freaking Odin out via playing possum

Yea, I think they might actually be the closest thing this manga has to an actual functioning couple, which is unbelievably sad. I guess Kenichi and Miu will be fighting alongside each other though next arc seeing as the weapon's masters has two disciples, one male, one female by the looks of things. Could be cool. Hopefully they have some fun personalities like the last sword dude Shigure fought.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm kind of disappointed that's all that Shigure was making. Given how intense she was getting the last few weeks and the size of the bag on Appachai's back I expected some vests for everyone and some kind of footwear, if not a weapon for at least one of them to be honest. I don't think Kenichi himself even got anything out of this. Although I will say I think it's hilarious that she made one for Ukitake as well, like he's ever going to actually get any use out of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's less a noble savage and more an overgrown child though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not to mention his main rival Agaard doesn't share his naivety, childish-ness or rather simple personality and is from the same area. Nor does Tirawit, his disciple, who I believe is from the same area.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Didn't it take place in a run-down gym in the countryside? I doubt it was supposed to be a representation of the whole country. I think you're over-thinking this man.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nilbop posted:

When you're spending months depicting a country in a work of fiction it's generally regarded that what you depict is what you believe. He didn't spend ages going through Jakarta or whatever, it was all jungle, jungle, jungle and hidden temples and mercenaries.

Apachai is also by far the most prevalent representative in the manga from that region. You can defend these criticisms, but they're pretty valid in my eyes.

Pretty sure the flashback for Appachai lasted 3 issues, not months, having just checked quickly through Mangapanda. I'd say the Appachai thing might have some basis were he the only one, but I'm not sure how the existence of Agaard and Tirawit as two of the more intelligent and considerate Yomi doesn't put that issue to rest. It seems to me like complaining that Ma Kensei's portrayal is racist because it paints all Chinese people as irrepressible perverts.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Gotta say, I really enjoyed those last couple of pages. Love seeing the villains act so carefree about their situation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jaweeeblop posted:

That archery woman has eye titties.

All I see is in each eye is another pair of eyes and a little smiling mouth forming a goofy grin staring right back at me. It makes her look so happy and silly despite dressing so tacticool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Quick question, anyone know off hand what kind of time-frame the manga is supposed to have taken place over. I was thinking earlier about how great the progress of Kenichi's skills and growth has been portrayed, even just in the art and how he's become more muscular over time but I realized I've no idea if it's supposed to have been months or years so far. I don't recall any birthdays off-hand, but that doesn't mean they haven't happened.

Also, Mycroft would want to be pretty intelligent at the very least as a fighter given his most popular namesake, so I've high hopes for him as an enemy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's no way she's losing a one-on-one match at least, though it's possible more weapon masters could arrive. I hope not though. Also, that page may be one of the best things to come out of this entire manga. It's just so silly but cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Kind of left feeling a bit underwhelmed by the chapter given that there's never been any hints before that I recall that she had a brother. Would have had more impact if Matsunaga had set it up in the last arc or two instead of just springing it. More than that, the ending reminded me that it's still a bit disappointing that Kenichi never uses a weapon of any kind. Even if he doesn't want to use bladed ones, there's still things like tonfa that he could use occasionally. Or even a bokken, or whatever those wooden training swords Kenpo practitioners use. Would be cool to see him use one to honor Shigure at some point the way he honored Appa by using only Muay Thai (or Muay Boran or whatever variation it was) against Tirawit after Appa was "killed".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Really? Doesn't seem anything special to me. Honoka is the sister I assume? Age gap seems a bit much from what little I recall of her. Personally I much prefer the panel right after Alien-dude asks if there's any place for him on the One Shadow's team, because Kenichi looks quite a bit like Sakaki.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It was, but I thought both Koutsuji teaching computers like a martial art at Nijima's headquarters and Kenichi's look when he turned on the gun user were both cooler to be honest. I always love seeing Kenichi and Miu step it up a bit though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Shinpaku Alliance is already right there with Kenichi on page 12 or 13. Thor, Boxer Dude, Valkyrie etc. are all there. There's 7 of them in total, so they should be fine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No idea, but I'm excited to see that both Shiba and the weapons guy that Shigure fought ages back are apparently in as allies. Can't wait to see them fight. Also, there's 16 enemy disciples by the looks of things, to 8 ally ones total (including Kenichi). So two fights apiece? Wonder who Tirawit will end up facing this time since he's already fought Kenichi? Also really happy to see that the ultimate enemy disciple is a talentless nobody like Kenichi and kind of a cool guy to boot. Should make for a fun fight.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Huge announcement next week according to the Mangastream version (not sure if the other version has this in it). Pretty much has to be a new anime or OVA of some kind I would imagine. Chapter was pretty decent, but nothing unexpected once you see who's on the cover.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Frankenstein Dad posted:

That guy's motives are stupid as hell.

His motive appears to be basically identical to every other rival Kenichi's ever had: kill Kenichi because his master told him to do so. The only difference is he has multiple masters like Kenichi, giving him conflicting orders, which he is following as dictated. Why is it any more stupid for him to do so than any of the other disciples Kenichi's faced in the past?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, recalling I hadn't read this in a few weeks at least gave me a few chapters to catch up, the most interesting of which was actually the last chapter rather than this one - despite the mind gently caress mentioned since it included Niijima having a moment of genuine bravery all on his own, Shigure mocking Saiga, which sure, fanservice, but still funny and Kenichi making a seriously hosed up angry face when attacking whatshisname to protect Miu. Sadly it also had Shiba losing really pathetically easily in only a handful of panels, so it wasn't all good.

Anyways, I doubt we're supposed to know who this guy is from the looks of things in the latest chapter. I'm kind of annoyed it happened at all though. It makes more sense of Saiga helping Kenichi out in the past and being so affalable in general, but is still kind of crummy since I liked the cool enemy he was building up to be through that stuff. Now we just have some randomer we have no history with or reason to care about in his stead. Also, what's up with Okomota's leg in the double page spread. Did he became Mr. Fantastic through martial arts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I doubt it, simply because there's at least one disciple left that's been built up as a rival for Kenichi - even if only to a small degree. He was the guy who managed to have both sei and dou ki's and had weird eyes or something, being driven around in a car and giving orders to other disciples a while back.

• Locked thread