Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Zereth posted:

Miu was in this chapter? :confused:

Her tits were. Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lyon posted:

Haha turns out that is exactly what happened. New chapter is out and it is pretty awesome, this arc is going to be epic and I'm guessing maybe the last major arc. If it is I'm sure we will get some really awesome epilogue chapters.

Here's a link.

D... did he just explode?

Caros
May 14, 2008

dazoner posted:

This manga is really at it's best when it focuses on Kenichi.

It really, really is.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Could it be a non-ending? Like I never read Dragonball Z back when, nor did I bother with Naruto when the Shippuden jump happened, but is it within the realm of possibility that it's all
"HSDK is ending! Get ready for HSDK: Shippuden Z starting next month!"

Because, yeah, it does feel kind of like a lot of hanging threads are still there.

Dragonball never actually switched to Z. Dragonball Z is exactly like Shippuden in that it was a arbitrary line they made to distinguish two parts of the same material, complete with a time skip.

quote:

It might have helped if the YAMI stuff had been kept as more of a background element - something Kenichi was aware of, but rarely ever got to be directly involved in because, you know, dangerous and stuff. Which whilst that was the case for a good chunk of the series, by the end I can't easily recall that many major fights where the Masters weren't present and weren't ultimately stealing the show. Some world hopping to deal with things that the Masters are too busy/too overkill for would have been interesting for showing off the martial arts of the world, whilst also lending to the 'third world war' angle that the series tried for later on. Or heck, the Phoenix Alliance stuff would have at least made sense by sheer volume. Kensei was supposed to have several thousand students - an easy enough excuse for YAMI to try and take it over.

But yeah, I'm curious on Matsuena's new project. Apparently the same issue Kenichi ends will be the one carrying the announcement. Another martial art series maybe? Something more sci-fi? Fantasy? Slice of life?

I honestly kind of preferred the manga when it was grounded in smaller problems. Its easy to forget that apart from connections that really only showed up at the end of the arc, Odin was largely just a gang of delinquent students that hated Kenichi because of 'reasons'.

I do wish they'd kept that trend going after Odin, having most of the fights be relatively low key and perhaps even without the risk of death involved.

Caros
May 14, 2008

LvK posted:

this is pretty much why I went from loving the series to death, to just kind of passively following it to see if it would ever end.

That, and the fight scenes suddenly exploding into naked grotesques.

Yeah, me too. I actually skipped most of the big tournament arc my first time around partly because of this.

It's just frustrating because I find an incremental manga like that to be very entertaining. Perhaps it's just me but we'll done training arcs are really interesting to me, and a manga that is nothing but training for the next challenge in interesting ways is far more interesting than save the world plot #47.

That isn't to say there can't be threats. Loss of self worth, injuries etc. Hell, even if Kenichi had made a pledge never to lose could give fights some personal edge without making them to the death, and giving a constant reason not for the Masters to intervene directly.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of what the series did, it just lost some of that charm when it tried to go big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

So that happened.

That ending is so goddamned abrupt it feels like it should be followed by 'rocks fell and everyone died.'

• Locked thread