Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I thought the bit with Chikage was great, Hermit vs. Sig went about how I expected, and the fight between Castor and Renka was silly. I feel that Renka exists sort of in a world like Miu where at any time when it is required they can stomp any other disciple. At least in this segment Miu's fight had some meaning for her character growth, Renka vs. Castor was just gratuitous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Considering he was present for maybe 10 of those chapters... I wasn't expecting him to be built up at all.

His arc has definitely been pretty obvious though even if it was mostly off screen. He came to the D of D tournament specifically looking for Ogata, he met up randomly with Kenichi and Miu at the bank robbery and returned to Ryozanpaku to find information on Ogata, and then he came back to Ryozanpaku again looking for Ogata and I think saying point blank that he was he going to kill Ogata.

My prediction is that Tanaka goes crazy for a while, Kensei narrates how he murdered the wife/child to drive Tanaka into super-crazy land (and so the audience hears the story), Kenichi rescues Tanaka from the killing fist, Ogata expresses his disappointment and prepares to kill Tanaka, someone (Elder?) from Ryozanpaku shows up and saves Tanaka/Shinpaku.

Otherwise Tanaka dies but realizes his mistakes in his dying moments and reaffirms Kenichi's will to follow the living fist to prevent these things from happening ever again.

Either way I think I have all my bases covered.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ogata only cares about martial arts, though. I don't really see him killing any babies. Most of the other fists, sure, but he is a different brand of crazy.

I'm thinking during Tanaka's (first?) fight with Ogata that Tanaka's pregnant wife intervened and was critically injured which led to both her and maybe the child's death. The language in the last chapter kind of hints towards this in my opinion as the Elder stated that she had conceived his child not that she had given birth.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New chapter is out on mangareader.net, I'm on my phone so too much of a pain to link but, drat.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also it is all hidden temples and remote locations (jungle) because they are traditional martial arts practitioners.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New chapter and holy... not sure how HSDK doesn't turn into some post apocalyptic (maybe a bit dramatic) good guys fight the bad guys using guerrilla warfare style manga. I guess there are probably some additional good guy masters who will show up but it is already 5 on 7 just counting the one shadow nine fists and Saiga is finally on the move too.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New Chapter

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

genki posted:

Up to 553 now, plot seems kinda slow these days but hopefully things will pick up soon. Wonder if anything bad will actually happen to shigure or if we'll just see her naked a lot more. (rhetorical)

HSDK 554. Things are definitely starting to pick up and it is about time the good guys grabbed a few of the other katsujinken masters to help out. I love that the former Yami weapons dude is with them too, James Shiba and Freya's grandfather also it looks like. The biggest issue I can see is that there are so many freaking disciples... somehow the Shinpaku alliance needs to show up so that Kenichi doesn't have to fight 10 people. Miu and Renka can obviously handle a bunch of them but it still leaves Kenichi with a lot of fights.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

tsob posted:

The Shinpaku Alliance is already right there with Kenichi on page 12 or 13. Thor, Boxer Dude, Valkyrie etc. are all there. There's 7 of them in total, so they should be fine.

Hah wow totally missed that somehow. They are missing Renka and Sieg but that is it I guess.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
HSDK 558. This chapter was pretty funny, Ma/Ba Kensei really shines (in the expected way), and I feel like extra effort was put into the artwork.

I'm really curious as to the conclusion of Elder vs. the leader of the Hachiou fight. Elder is going to need to show up in order to defeat Yami so he'll definitely either win or at least find a way to get back to where the action is somehow but I still want to see it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I normally don't like Sieg but that panel where they're all running and he's spinning is perfect.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
They're setting it up for the big arrival of Shigure and/or Elder. I really hope it is the Elder because of Kushinada, I love when they interact (like after Kenichi beat Pollux with Chikage as judge).

I just reread the end to the previous arc again where the salaryman (Tsutomo Tanaka) fights Ogata Kensei again, man was that ending :black101: as hell.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Relin posted:

I'm not sure what's happening here http://www.mangahere.com/manga/historys_strongest_disciple_kenichi/v45/c565/18.html

It seems like he's locking Hongo out, but why?

Because he hates the unarmed division and was planning to kill Kenichi? I mean he kind of expressly states it right there.

Edit: Also like walls/doors ever stopped any of the masters anyway.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 11, 2014

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
HSDK 566. All I have to say is... 100% Elder.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Gyges posted:

I like to think that he yelled so loud that those are reaction shots of them hearing his voice.

Haha turns out that is exactly what happened. New chapter is out and it is pretty awesome, this arc is going to be epic and I'm guessing maybe the last major arc. If it is I'm sure we will get some really awesome epilogue chapters.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

trucutru posted:

I'm afraid that they'll have to use the power of friendship to somehow convince Miu's dad to go back to the right path since he's obviously way better than all the other masters excluding the invincible superman (who is not going to interfere in the last fight, that would be unfair). Probably team with the good guys to beat the old blademaster.

The strongest teacher on Ryouzanpaku is mustache and he's obviously going to clash with the endowed one soon as his final fight. And even him would be a non-issue for Saiga.

I think the invincible superman will take part, he is on his way there and really the only one who can hope to stop Saiga. I think Saiga ends up dead in a tragic suicidey kind of way after elder prevents him from fulfilling his plan.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm saying this is the end of the manga for all intents and purposes. The last sunset was World War II. After this there will be no cohesive plot/bad guy to fight. We will probably get some wandering journeyman adventures and an epilogue where Kenichi and co are now masters and sort of running the dojo (with hilarious previous master hijinks) but as far as the overarching plot.. I assume it is ending here.

All the mysteries around Saiga will be answered, Yami and Yomi will have been defeated, and while the killing fist and living fist will always be at odds there won't be a true conflict raging.

Thinking about it Saiga will probably end up atoning in jail rather than dying.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New chapter is out, posting from my phone or I would link it. New chapter really changes a lot.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I doesn't contradict anything we have been shown so far technically. The ninja village split in half over Saiga and Shizuha relationship and fought crazy death battles to determine the future of the ninja village. I'm guessing this was the basis of Yami (or at least modern Yami).

We never really saw Saiga kill Shizuha except in a Miu memory I think. The elder got there right after and found Miu so really the only person who knows is Saiga and/or this new guy Senzui. I'm guessing the new guy is Shizuha's brother and is in fact the one who actually killed Shizuha.

Seems like maybe Saiga and Senzui co-ran Yami but then that doesn't really explain why Saiga waited this long to get revenge and what not. If Saiga was never part of Yami then who was the second master of eye patch? There are a lot of questions but nothing was necessarily a contradiction.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

I don't think there's a blatant contradiction, just a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense now. Like, what was the point of that guy pretending to be Saiga at all? Why did Saiga never make contact with anyone on the 'good' side after the incident?

I mean, whatever, sure, it's a thing now. I just think it's pretty clear that this was not what the author planned back when those earlier events originally happened and a lot of things don't make much sense because of it.

Agreed, I'll hold off on judging for a few more chapters though.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

Even though the current arc isn't explicitly about Kenichi, it seemed to be about the pride of martial artists. Kenichi learned from his masters, the yomi disciples learned from him, and then some of the masters learned from their disciples. But now one of the primary conflicts isn't about that at all?

I think this is pretty much the end. Kenichi defeats Yomi eye patch who is really the last Yomi, turns out Miu's dad is actually a good guy!, the Yami masters disband as evil organization and go their separate killing fist ways, etc etc.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Mike Gallego posted:

I only read this once a bunch of chapters have piled up (recently caught up on it), but I'm under the impression the final villain is actually going to be Ogata and not this newly introduced dude.

The longest running thing, and Kenichi's traditional rivals have all been people that use the sei/dou combination technique. Miu even fought someone using it too. Hell, Ogata himself considered Kenichi to be someone gifted in using both sei and dou ki so I'd not be surprised if he creates the perfect form of it or some poo poo at the series end.

Interesting, I forgot about Ogata. You are probably correct as he was originally considered for the position of Ryozanpaku's disciple, has been stirring up trouble throughout the series (Ryuuto sei/dou, sending Boris to Ryozanpaku, etc), killed Tanaka (in the most metal fight of the series), and has a bunch of disciples left including Berserker.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Well two replies in a row but... HSDK 575.

The only thing I don't get is how Saiga was buddies with Senzui up until just recently. I'm sure the author has come up with his reason but they've been buddies and involved with Yami for ~16 years and just now Saiga has learned Senzui killed Shizuha?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New chapter, HSDK 580. There is a lot of non sense but holy poo poo.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Sucks how bad the translation was. Hopefully someone will release a better version because while I think I was able to make sense of most of their gibberish it would still be nice to read a coherent version of it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

dazoner posted:

That ending better be a fake out... there's no way!

Haha holy poo poo that was everything I ever hoped and dreamed of. That two page spread is glorious. The Elder will survive somehow though maybe he won't be able to practice martial arts anymore or something. If anything I'm guessing it was the rocket itself that exploded not the warhead so Elder should be able to survive a mere rocket explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

trucutru posted:

Well, not-Kenichi and not-Miu will probably not be seen again.

I thought the author would have the restraint of not having clothes being torn to shreds in the one-shot but I guess that was too much to ask (and it doesn't really bother me, it is just so low-effort).

Anyways, "My neighbors, the ninjas" suuuuucks.

Yeah I'm really hoping this isn't his next project. I did kind of like the way the kid talked though (or how it was translated), reminded me of Kenshin.

• Locked thread