Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I cannot stop laughing at that ending. That's probably not the intended reaction but oh my God

Also there's no way on God's green earth you can drive your elbow down on top of the head of a guy who is biting your throat. You can't do it, and you definitely can't do it like a loving jackhammer with enough force to drive his head into his chest cavitahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

Man sometimes it's easy to forget this book can have teeth. Tanaka died without being able to even scratch Kensei even after putting his life on the line, even training exclusively to fight him, even with the motivation of the loss of his entire family. It just feels so drat bleak in the try your best and you will succeed setting HSDK is.

A little, I guess. But moreso it just highlights ridiculous plot armour that keeps stories like these going..

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

tsob posted:

Didn't it take place in a run-down gym in the countryside? I doubt it was supposed to be a representation of the whole country. I think you're over-thinking this man.

When you're spending months depicting a country in a work of fiction it's generally regarded that what you depict is what you believe. He didn't spend ages going through Jakarta or whatever, it was all jungle, jungle, jungle and hidden temples and mercenaries.

Apachai is also by far the most prevalent representative in the manga from that region. You can defend these criticisms, but they're pretty valid in my eyes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

tsob posted:

Pretty sure the flashback for Appachai lasted 3 issues, not months, having just checked quickly through Mangapanda. I'd say the Appachai thing might have some basis were he the only one, but I'm not sure how the existence of Agaard and Tirawit as two of the more intelligent and considerate Yomi doesn't put that issue to rest. It seems to me like complaining that Ma Kensei's portrayal is racist because it paints all Chinese people as irrepressible perverts.

Ma Kensei's portrayal is racist. In fact I'm struggling to think of a Chinese person in that comic who isn't portrayed as perverted, evil or braindead cheesecake. If that character appeared in a western comic there'd be an uproar.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Well, it's not a well-written manga.

I mean, it's not within 6 degrees of a well-written manga.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

You think the main villain is going to end up dead in the first arc to significantly feature him.

I just want to make sure that's what you're saying.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So now the main villain is a boring shounen we know nothing about.

Great.

RabidWeasel posted:

They kind of ramped up the story so hard that he got left behind, I was enjoying things much more when the general tone was "Kenichi and the other children flail around in the kiddy pool while the masters watch, amused".

The problem is the story hasn't gone the way it should, and instead of closing the gap between disciples and masters it's constantly increasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Monaghan posted:

The ending wasn't terrible

You must have the lowest goddamn standards. It was literally a one chapter checklist at the end of an abruptly ended arc. That was one of the worst endings I've ever read.

So the entire Eternal Sunset thing was to launch one missile? And none of the big villains even get climactic fights? And we never even see the full design for the head of the weapon division? And the One Shadow Nine Fists are still running around doing ... some stupid poo poo?

It just reeks of a poor author getting bored.

• Locked thread