Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
do clover instead

or raised beds

or an entire yard of dandelionwildflowers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Ok Comboomer posted:

do clover instead

or raised beds

or an entire yard of dandelionwildflowers
Going do some roughing up for wildflower strips around the lawn in spring, should be fun

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
plant kudzu, great for reducing topsoil erosion!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

That reminds me, I want to turn the strip of lawn between a cedar hedge and the road into a wildflower bed. I was going to mix the seeds into a topsoil and topdress the area heavily. Should I do some prep beforehand?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Bi-la kaifa posted:

That reminds me, I want to turn the strip of lawn between a cedar hedge and the road into a wildflower bed. I was going to mix the seeds into a topsoil and topdress the area heavily. Should I do some prep beforehand?

My plan is I'm going to mow very deep then either borrow a scarifier or rake the lawn (landscaping rake) up first, until it looks like a real mess. Then scratch in the seeds with no top dressing.
I am not sure how well top dressing the area will work, if the seeds are too deep they may not germinate, but I imagine mowing the heck out of the area for a while first will necessary

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Mixing your seeds with topsoil should work fine as a carrier, but I'd be careful about topdressing too heavily—I think (most) wildflower seeds want to be well within an inch of the surface.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

RickRogers posted:

Probably should say what zone/area you are in though?

My wife tells me we're in zone 7.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I've been meaning to start a windowsill herb garden. I've got a lot of window space; basically the amount you'd have from a sliding glass door leading to a patio except it's just a wall in my living room.

Can anyone recommend a decent herb garden starter kit? I don't mind DIY but I don't have any plant stuff on hand. The cheaper the better.

Also, is it a bad idea to start an herb garden in december considering they'll be in an unheated room, next to an ice-cold window? Probably should've thought of that before I asked but I suppose I could keep it in my room for the winter months.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Appoda posted:

I've been meaning to start a windowsill herb garden. I've got a lot of window space; basically the amount you'd have from a sliding glass door leading to a patio except it's just a wall in my living room.

Can anyone recommend a decent herb garden starter kit? I don't mind DIY but I don't have any plant stuff on hand. The cheaper the better.

Also, is it a bad idea to start an herb garden in december considering they'll be in an unheated room, next to an ice-cold window? Probably should've thought of that before I asked but I suppose I could keep it in my room for the winter months.

You might be able to get away with some sort of some set up like this but you will be ice-skating uphill

Give it a shot though

Consider your bang for buck with herbs and what you cook, you will be limited by temps, size and grow speed so pick your herbs smartly

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're looking for wildflower and native grass seeds, definitely check out Stock Seed Farms. They have a huge catalog of individual species and pre-mixed seed blends meant to create/adapt to certain habitats and local conditions.

https://www.stockseed.com

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

So here's a question, since I don't grow many food plants. Could peppercorn and similar plants be grown in an aerogarden setup indoors? Really itching to produce some of my own non-chili peppers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Appoda posted:

You’re much better off just starting an indoor potted garden/acquiring potted herbs and then moving them to a sill or outside as the weather warms up. You might need some cheap lighting and maybe some shelves to put everything on. I currently have a spare ikea Ivar occupying the space in front of one of my windows but I’ll be adding lights as the daylight decreases. But I also have many plants.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Appoda posted:

You can buy a $10 heating pad to put under them that will keep the soil warmer, that should help.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

subpar anachronism posted:

So here's a question, since I don't grow many food plants. Could peppercorn and similar plants be grown in an aerogarden setup indoors? Really itching to produce some of my own non-chili peppers.

I’ve seen people grow P. nigrum it as a houseplant, but I would expect it to outgrow an aerogarden.

Retailer videos can be hit or miss, but Logee’s looks to have a decent overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoBqQmz8jc

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 30, 2020

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I’ve seen people grow P. nigrum it as a houseplant, but I would expect it to outgrow an aerogarden.

Retailer videos can be hit or miss, but Logee’s looks to have a decent overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoBqQmz8jc

I also don't mind just starting them in the aerogarden; it's just extremely dark and cold this far north in the winter and I don't think they'd survive without the constant light. I'll check out that video, thanks. I was really hoping to miraculously find some Piper longum seeds but have been unsuccessful so far, so figured peppercorn was as close as I could get.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Help! I impulse bought these two cacti, but I don't know what they are or how to look after them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Yoruichi posted:

Help! I impulse bought these two cacti, but I don't know what they are or how to look after them.

It looks like they're both Mammillaria. I don't know what the first one is (there are many similar species) but the second looks like longimamma.

As far as looking after them give them as much light as you can and wait for them to be dry between waterings. If you repot them you should go with a gritty mix (Bonsai Jack is my default recommendation)—I would avoid planting them in those really shallow succulent saucer things that people like as some Mammillaria drop long taproots.

If you haven't already I would check what their roots look like in those tiny little pots (you may want to use bubble wrap or something to prevent stabbing yourself repeatedly). They could already be reaching the bottom which can be a hazard if you put them in a saucer and aren't careful to keep it dry.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 1, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Mammillaria, also known as Lil’ Nipples

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You ever go to a real deal serious-people plant store and see a 60 yr old $500 perfect agave that’s as big as a high school freshman?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

No, old olive trees sometimes. Pics?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Didn’t take one it was long ago but I thought about it tonight. It sold later on. But here’s a beautiful euphorbia:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I also don't mind just starting them in the aerogarden; it's just extremely dark and cold this far north in the winter and I don't think they'd survive without the constant light. I'll check out that video, thanks. I was really hoping to miraculously find some Piper longum seeds but have been unsuccessful so far, so figured peppercorn was as close as I could get.

Trade Winds has P. longum seeds listed, but there’s no date of last availability, which I suspect means it was several years ago, before they started keeping records of that.

It’s apparently quite a pain to propagate.

quote:

Cultivation of Piper longum L. till recently was not very common and still it is extensively collected from the wild owing to the increasing demand from the pharmaceutical industry, threatening the very existence of the plant. Poor seed viability and low germination, scanty and delayed rooting of vegetative cuttings restrict its propagation through sexual and vegetative propagation methods

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
and here’s some of my euphorbias and a couple other things

the spekboom did not like being repotted but it’s got lots of tiny bright leaf buds popping in that don’t really show up well in the photo

(edit: loving Imgur making it sideways I have no clue why)

And here’s a monstera looking happy after a spray

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Trade Winds has P. longum seeds listed, but there’s no date of last availability, which I suspect means it was several years ago, before they started keeping records of that.

It’s apparently quite a pain to propagate.

Oh man, disappointing :( Thanks for the info though!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Nice euphorbia!
I am really appreciating euphorbia varieties in the garden, due to the summer heat and semi-drought the last few years in North West Europe.

Oh man, disappointing :( Thanks for the info though!
I have only ever seen Piper in the Eden project UK, (biomes and plant stuff) have to take some pictures there when travel is viable again.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

showbiz_liz posted:

You can buy a $10 heating pad to put under them that will keep the soil warmer, that should help.

Isn't warming the soil a bad idea in the winter when the amount of sunlight is limited? Or is that just for where sunlight is *extremely limited* like here in Finland

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RickRogers posted:

Nice euphorbia!
I am really appreciating euphorbia varieties in the garden, due to the summer heat and semi-drought the last few years in North West Europe.

I have only ever seen Piper in the Eden project UK, (biomes and plant stuff) have to take some pictures there when travel is viable again.

I want so many of them. The lacteas in the photo all came from one $14 costa farms tabletop planting I bought when I moved into this place. That's lead me to becoming aware of trigonas, trigona rubras, dragon bones variegateds, tie dye variegateds, cresteds, the ones with the dangly bits, etc.

I have a bunch of different croton varietals too, so I'm just all about those spurges and euphorbiaceae

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

It’s not supposed to be droopy like that.

Got hit by a hard frost before I remembered to bring it in for the winter.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the fart question posted:

It’s not supposed to be droopy like that.

Got hit by a hard frost before I remembered to bring it in for the winter.

What monstrose form is that? Hobbit?

Silver lining, the plant did its own defoliation!

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

What monstrose form is that? Hobbit?

Silver lining, the plant did its own defoliation!

It’s about 20 years old now, but I think it’s Gollum. Instead of its usual bright green it now looks like over cooked asparagus 😢

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It’s about 20 years old now, but I think it’s Gollum. Instead of its usual bright green it now looks like over cooked asparagus 😢

Do what bonsai ppl would do in that case- defoliate the sucker—pluck all the leaves, and then pop it under a grow light. Just water it normally (some people say not to water until new leaves bud but I think that’s only for portulacarias) and trust it to grow back an even prettier head of hair.

The replacement batch of leaves might wind up smaller than normal (bonsai ppl do this on purpose, gives the tree a bigger sense of scale) but eventually after a cycle or two it’ll re-normalize and it’ll look like a bigger, more mature version of the tree you had before the frost (this is why bonsai get defoliated on a cycle).

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I keep a similar succulent

And while it doesn't frost, my care routine in emergencies is to cut leaves that won't come back and a gentle light (corner of the garden, out of the sun) until it recovers

My little succ bonsai

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, don't like blast it with light after defoliating, you just don't want to light-starve it when stimulating the growth of new replacement foliage

when I say "grow light" I mean like a bulb not a vivosun

My portulacarias dropped all their leaves and I've been keeping them in a windowsill while they've been budding all over

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

I keep a similar succulent

And while it doesn't frost, my care routine in emergencies is to cut leaves that won't come back and a gentle light (corner of the garden, out of the sun) until it recovers

My little succ bonsai

looks great, I remember when you were scared about its health but it looks like it's really bounced back well. Bringing plants outside vs keeping them indoors is such a massive difference, makes me wish I had a deck or more easily accessible yard with this current apartment.

My mom has a monstera deliciosa at home that's loving colossal because she dragged it out to the back deck and kept it there until november. loving thing started out in an 8" and it's like man sized now.

makes me think she'll appreciate a "condo" mango tree one day

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 4, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apropos of monstera, my adansonii is getting a ton of yellowed leaves, particularly at the pot/base of the vines. A bunch of those were actually strangled/broken by vine growth and I've since trellised up some of the heavier vines and pruned out the broken or smashed leaves. But in terms of over/under watering I still seem to be loving the plant up somehow. I started watering weekly then moved to 10 days/biweekly (but that seemed too little and it would wilt in between waterings) so I switched to trying to only water when the plant tells me its thirsty with leaf droop/wilting.

It doesn't look like it's light based or related to rootbinding but that's where I'm headed next, aside from continuing to try to fine tune the watering. I'm scared and frustrated because it spent its first few months looking excellent and putting on mass and now I'm afraid it's going to wind up all threadbare and scraggly or worse.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of monstera, my adansonii is getting a ton of yellowed leaves, particularly at the pot/base of the vines. A bunch of those were actually strangled/broken by vine growth and I've since trellised up some of the heavier vines and pruned out the broken or smashed leaves. But in terms of over/under watering I still seem to be loving the plant up somehow. I started watering weekly then moved to 10 days/biweekly (but that seemed too little and it would wilt in between waterings) so I switched to trying to only water when the plant tells me its thirsty with leaf droop/wilting.

It doesn't look like it's light based or related to rootbinding but that's where I'm headed next, aside from continuing to try to fine tune the watering. I'm scared and frustrated because it spent its first few months looking excellent and putting on mass and now I'm afraid it's going to wind up all threadbare and scraggly or worse.

You might want to get a flashlight and check for spider mites.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

You might want to get a flashlight and check for spider mites.

None that I can see. Maybe root binding?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

All the leaves were basically mush so I defoliated

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

All the leaves were basically mush so I defoliated

Good job. You should try saving and drying out the cuttings if you haven’t trashed them yet. Maybe you’ll get some of them surviving and taking root

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Best of luck my dude

I've lived tropics all my life and dealing with frost is weird and scary to me

I hope your crassula come back,I really do, it's a wonderful specimen