Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

That's a very cool pattern.

I had 25 beautiful orchids in great shape, but then I moved somewhere in the dead of winter where my belongings had to be in storage for a month, so I had to give them all away so that they wouldn't die. I'm still pretty sad about it, because I haven't seen any nice orchids for sale in the area I live in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can put on hostas to prevent deer from eating them?

They were kicking rear end this year, doubled in size from last year and were about to bloom (the flower spikes were up, but the buds hadn't opened), then some rear end in a top hat deer came along and ate every single loving bloom along with the foliage of four or five of them. And of course, the ones it ate were the ones with the nice foliage, not the scrubby ugly ones I got on discount from Michigan Bulb.

I'm tempted to just drag out my .357 and shoot the bastard since I've seen it quite a few times in my yard and it's not scared of me, but seeing as I'm in the 'burbs and the police station is only a block away, that's probably not the best option.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Boogeyman posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can put on hostas to prevent deer from eating them?

If you set up a salt lick it might distract it and keep it away from your plants. It could also attract more deer and make your problem worse. :v:

In other news, my miracle fruit plant seems to be doing better! I set it up with a partially ventilated plastic bag over it to boost the humidity since I'm growing it in zone 6. It stopped dropping leaves and has a few new bits of growth. I wish I knew for sure if it was the bag that helped or if it just got over transplant shock.

edit:
Also, my Mimosa pudica plants are about ready for new pots. :3:

Tremors fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 25, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
All deer/rabbit repellents only work to the degree that the animal is hungry, if that makes sense, but our local botanical garden said the best ones they've used have been blood based (they also do a shitton of electric fence, which I bet helps a lot more). I've done the putrid egg ones before and can't say that it made much difference, aside from making me stink.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I bought this Vanda over the weekend, it's a pretty hard to find hybrid. It's fragrant.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

That Vanda wants to make out.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
This plant.

This loving plant. What is it, and how do I kill it? It is EVERYWHERE in my yard, and for every one shoot I dig up, 5 grow around it to take its place. The previous owner purposefully planted it to grow along some kind of pergola they had, and when they left they only cut it down to the level of the soil.

That's how big some of the roots are, and they've grown underneath my patio so I can't get to all of them.

I'm not going to use roundup, because it's so spread out that I'd have to nuke my entire yard and risk hurting stuff that I planted. I've been taking a mattock to the roots whenever I see a sprout, but the roots are so deep that I often just end up breaking the sprout without finding the root it sprouted from.

Heeeeelllllllp :(

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Peppervine maybe?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Looks like maybe a trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) to me. They're notoriously aggressive, so good luck!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
There's probably a big one that the root suckers are originating from - they certainly have some girth to them. Fill a mustard squeeze container with roundup concentrate and apply directly to the leaves. Lot of people try cutting and roundup at the same time - don't. Let the poison do its work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Roundup is a Monsanto product, and for reasons I don't want to buy their products. What's the next-best alternative? Ideally I'd like something that won't harm critters in my yard, including pollinating insects. But I also need to kill a persistent tree-thing that keeps trying to regrow no matter how much I hack off its shoots.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Round-up is just a brand name used for Glyphosate, so if your only problem is monsanto, it's offered by many other companies - just look for the active ingredient in what you're buying. It's honestly hard to beat as far as a safe herbicide, and does easily bind to soil particles and become inactive, limiting effects to organisms other than plants. I understand the fear, but there are few better alternatives.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I hear only good things about agent orange!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I picked some lupines off the side of the road today, I noticed a few flowers near the bottom drying and about to die off. is the seed pod in the centre of them? Do I just plant those? I don't grow a lot of flowers, so I'm not sure how to identify a seed pod.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Toriori posted:

I picked some lupines off the side of the road today, I noticed a few flowers near the bottom drying and about to die off. is the seed pod in the centre of them? Do I just plant those? I don't grow a lot of flowers, so I'm not sure how to identify a seed pod.

Thankfully the seed pods on lupines are easy to identify, since they look just like green beans but smaller and brown. After the flowers fade, a big green seed pod should make itself known after a while. Just gotta wait for the seed pod to turn brown and dry for the beans inside to be ripe.

The only problem with lupines is that they don't handle transplanting very well from the wild. Best of luck to you!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
woah double post

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 16, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
They are having a fundraiser for the in-house childcare at my work today, so I picked up a Jade Plant - as I've been intending to do for a year or two. It's not very photogenic yet. :(

dream owl
Jul 19, 2010
Hoping someone here might be able to help me put a name to a flower I saw for the first time in the woods recently: a couple inches high, round white flowers with circular petals on skinny red stems, dark green leaves with spines. Flowers were (oddly) sticky to the touch. I live in New England and I don't usually see things I can't identify.

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008
I just moved house and the place is full of Mystery Plants! I've been googling but I'm stuck on what the hell all these guys are.

A bunch of cool-looking succulents which I'm excited about inheriting :3:

Looks sort of related to the little green guy above. Hangs in the shade, flowering like mad in mid-winter. :iiam:

Shrubs:
I'd love to know what this one is, it looks all funky and prehistoric. It spreads by shooting up these spikes on vines. Echium seemed to be close but I couldn't find images of anything that looked exactly like this...?

Spiky leaves with silvery backs. It reminds me of a thistle but the leaves are harder, more leathery, like holly.

Guessing a leucadendron based on the leaves and red tips.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
1) jade plant, that looks like it's been nicely stressed/grown outside.
2) graptopetelum or echervia
3) another crassola
4) christmas cactus
5) thanksgiving cactus
6) euphorbia 'Tiny Tim' I think - these tend to spread themselves around your property, but they're awesome plants. They don't have true flowers, so the "blooms" are modified leaves.

Not sure on your last two.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
#7 is definitely a holly of some sort, but I can't say for sure which. #8 the red growth tips remind me of a pieris, but the leaves look a bit too narrow/upright for the pieris I'm used to seeing. Knowing what part of the country you're in might help to ID the plants as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given he says it's midwinter, I'm guessing "Australia."

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008
Yep, southern Australia. Temperate climate, similar to Northern California maybe.

Thank you, unprofessional! Much appreciated. The euphorbia already needs serious pruning, but yeah, it is an awesome plant.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Holden Rodeo posted:

Shrubs:
I'd love to know what this one is, it looks all funky and prehistoric. It spreads by shooting up these spikes on vines. Echium seemed to be close but I couldn't find images of anything that looked exactly like this...?

Holden Rodeo posted:

Yep, southern Australia. Temperate climate, similar to Northern California maybe.

Thank you, unprofessional! Much appreciated. The euphorbia already needs serious pruning, but yeah, it is an awesome plant.

Funny you should mention that, because I thought a lot of your plants looked like things on my college campus.. in Northern California. In fact, your green guy looks a lot like this green guy I photographed a few years ago, in spring.

I think this is Euphorbia characias, but I'm not an expert. It's a fairly hardy plant and resists drought pretty well, so you see it around here a lot because we have really dry summers. People actually worry when it rains during summer here, because that just isn't a thing that's supposed to happen, and it's been happening more frequently over the last few years.

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008
They look pretty cool in bloom. Mine's a 'Tiny Tim' variety as mentioned, which fits because it's not actually that tall, less than two feet high. I've only seen a couple in people's gardens, but anything Mediterranean suits our climate well.

Just realised that my final picture, the shrubby tree, is most likely a bottlebrush. A common native Australian plant. :downs: Dig the toilet brush flowers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm relatively new to plants, and I have a question about a Norfolk Island Pine I have:

Some of the branches obviously aren't doing so hot, but I can't tell if it's because of underwatering, overwatering, too much/not enough light, something I haven't even thought of, or just natural pruning. I live in an apartment, so the solution to "not enough light" will be limited to moving it onto a west-facing windowsill; everything else should be easier to fix.

I was given it as a Christmas gift and it had some dumb glitter-covered ornaments on it at first(which were removed ASAP), so the sparkly stuff is just leftover glitter.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Amazingly, those euphorbias are just at home here in Michigan as they are in California.

Haifisch, with your Norfolk, think of it as a temporary house plant, as it will eventually outgrow its space, unless you start bonsai'ing it, and I've seen very few example of good bonsai ones. Your tree obviously has some health issue, which could be from pests or poor soil. My first step would be to unpot it, make sure the root mass isn't rotting (give a little scratch and you'll be able to tell if it's rotting or not), and repot in a potting mix that's highly inorganic, so drainage is improved. If it has tons of winding roots at the bottom of the pot, saw off the bottom two or three inches. If the roots look good, and you get it in something that drains really well, you can water it every day or so and not worry about drowning it. It might just perk up. If it's a pest, the most common indoors is a spider mite, which generally looks like little black dots. There are ways to get rid of them that you can find pretty easily.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

So I decided to start building a vertical garden!
Getting the milk crates like this was a bit trickier than I thought it was going to be. I finally found someone who gave me as many as I could fit in my forester (21!) got home and realised that I will only need 6.

This is what I started with. An empty space that we couldn't quite work out what to put in it.
I dug out a bit and got to work on putting the crates together.

my son thought he would help

Looking good!

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 28, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You can buy brand new milk crates at Wal-Mart and poo poo, you don't need to find some clerk at 7-11 who hates his job to give you a big load.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I live in Tasmania, Australia, so Walmart is a decent trip.
We don't even have a 7/11 on the whole island.
Also, I got them FREE!

This is what will go in,

And then I ran out of cable ties. Will have to go to the shop.

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 28, 2013

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^Just curious, but what did you say to them in order to get so many milk crates? "Hey can I have some of those boxes from the back?" and they said "sure?"

Haifisch posted:

I'm relatively new to plants, and I have a question about a Norfolk Island Pine I have:

Some of the branches obviously aren't doing so hot, but I can't tell if it's because of underwatering, overwatering, too much/not enough light, something I haven't even thought of, or just natural pruning. I live in an apartment, so the solution to "not enough light" will be limited to moving it onto a west-facing windowsill; everything else should be easier to fix.

I was given it as a Christmas gift and it had some dumb glitter-covered ornaments on it at first(which were removed ASAP), so the sparkly stuff is just leftover glitter.

My best guess on what's wrong is pests, specifically spidermites. I'm thinks so since if it was overwatering/underwatering problem or not enough sun light, there should be yellow needles coming up from the lateral branches with the stem section still OK, instead of gray damage that ignores the lateral branches.

If it is spidermites after all, check for small silk threads/webbings. My lucky bamboo managed to get spidermites, and the leaves are speckled with very tiny dots that looks similar to dust or nutrient deficiency. Hopefully you can rinse them off or use a pesticide on them.

Off topic, but Timor Black Bamboo (Bambusa lako) is my new obsession right now. That blackness is just so sexy. :syoon:

Shame that my local nursery wants to charge me $150-$300 for a 7 gallon plant, while also seeds for them are very rare. I can certainly dream though...

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 4, 2013

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I put an ad on gumtree asking for free milk crates. They replied. I reckon they probably had over 100.

That bamboo is amazing. I am in awe.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm 99% sure my Norfolk has spider mites - there's some sort of tiny insect on them, anyway. I'm going to try rinsing them off first before running out and buying a pesticide. The Norfolk also gets to be all alone for a few weeks while I sort this out - luckily the mites don't seem to have spread to my other two plants yet, even though one of them was 5 inches away from the Norfolk.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

EagerSleeper posted:

Off topic, but Timor Black Bamboo (Bambusa lako) is my new obsession right now. That blackness is just so sexy. :syoon:

Shame that my local nursery wants to charge me $150-$300 for a 7 gallon plant, while also seeds for them are very rare. I can certainly dream though...

That's super awesome, I want it too.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

EagerSleeper posted:

^^^Just curious, but what did you say to them in order to get so many milk crates? "Hey can I have some of those boxes from the back?" and they said "sure?"

My best guess on what's wrong is pests, specifically spidermites. I'm thinks so since if it was overwatering/underwatering problem or not enough sun light, there should be yellow needles coming up from the lateral branches with the stem section still OK, instead of gray damage that ignores the lateral branches.

If it is spidermites after all, check for small silk threads/webbings. My lucky bamboo managed to get spidermites, and the leaves are speckled with very tiny dots that looks similar to dust or nutrient deficiency. Hopefully you can rinse them off or use a pesticide on them.

A 3-gallon for $45: http://www.tropicalbamboo.com/bamboo_shopping.asp?bid=1&bamboo=Bambusa%20lako%20-%20Timor%20Black%20Bamboo

I've always like those black bamboos. Wish there were more of the large bamboos that were hardy to zone-5.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheMightyHandful posted:

I put an ad on gumtree asking for free milk crates. They replied. I reckon they probably had over 100.

Thank you, this is good to know! I've been using a single concrete cinder block to hold my cacti above the grass for a while, but they've been getting a bit etiolated since I've been using for cinder block for arts and crafts lately. A milk crate would work just as great!

unprofessional posted:

A 3-gallon for $45: http://www.tropicalbamboo.com/bamboo_shopping.asp?bid=1&bamboo=Bambusa%20lako%20-%20Timor%20Black%20Bamboo

I've always like those black bamboos. Wish there were more of the large bamboos that were hardy to zone-5.

Thank you for the link! My local nursery usually overcharges for plants, but the price difference is spectacular. Combine it with a coupon from http://www.retailmenot.com/view/tropicalbamboo.com, and my dreams are suddenly looking a bit closer now.

http://www.bamboowholesale.com.au/html/black_bamboo.html

I found that website, and according to it I think Phyllostachys nigra should be able to grow in your area, but the bad thing is that like so many other cold hardy bamboos, it's a running variety that could get out of hand. However it seems to be a black bamboo that can survive zone 5, and it definitely looks fantastic too. Edit: It's popular in the UK if that says anything about its cold-hardiness.

Double edit: I've edited the OP a bit, so I hope it looks more neat and easy on the eyes. I also added a section where I offer some of the excess seeds that I have so you can enjoy, or ask me for a seed swap!

quote:

EagerSleeper posted:

Is anyone interested in free* plants? I have a poo poo ton of Aloe vera and Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi that I'm willing to send over to a good home. There may even be Crassula ovata cuttings involved if you'd like them. I probably have 50+ Aloes and just as much Kalanchoe plants.

Free as much as you send me a self-addressed envelope or pay for some money for shipping.

I also have the following seeds if anyone is interested:

-Nasturtium
-Lupine
-Sweet Basil (excellent flavor for cooking!)
-Columbine
-Portulaca
-Oriental Poppy
-Marigold (Petite Orange)
-Cosmos
-Bachelor Button
-Verbena
-Cilantro (another good herb to have, great with tacos and meat)
-Dahlia (Unwin's Dwarf Mixed Colors)
-Petunia
-Morning Glory (with lovely variegated leaves)
-Dill (Long Island Mammoth)
-Zinna (Giants of California, Candy Cane Mix)
-Chamomile, German (good tea flavor)
-Bell Pepper (Grand Bell Mix, yellow, red, purple, and nearly black bells, good flavor!)
-Hollyhock (very hardy, still blooms despite wind, bad soil, and shade!)
-Lobelia (Crystal Palace)
-Gazania (Sunshine Mix
-Pavonia (hot pink flowers)
-Vitax agnus-castus

Lastly, I'd like to thank the goon who was interested in the Aloe veras I have. I hope you enjoy them!

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 5, 2013

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Thanks for adding that seed list! I was just thinking it would be nice to find a seed swap or something of the sort. I have lots of bare, ugly dirt and weedy patches in my yard that need covering up, but I don't want to spend a ton on landscaping because I'm renting. I'm always interested in herbs too, because I like cooking. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot to offer in return. I have a few commercially packed vegetable seed envelopes, some of them still sealed, but most of them are a year or two old. I also have a metric assload of marigold seeds from my two plants, and I'm about to have an assload of red nasturtium seeds. Right now I only have about half an assload of those. :shobon:

If anyone is local to the San Jose/Santa Clara region of California, I also have tons of jade plant and a couple other succulents that I can give you clippings from, but you have to come get them yourself.

One of the things I've been planning for a while is landscaping with native grasses, which tend to be drought resistant. Our water bill has been ridiculous lately because we have lawns in the front and back yards, and it does not rain during summer here. There are some really pretty grasses at Larner Seeds, but I'm not sure if everyone else will think they're as pretty as I do. I'd hate to plant a bunch of grasses only to have everyone think they're weeds.. In fact I'm pretty sure several of these things are considered weeds by gardeners. Maybe fescue would look less weedy than some of those. Right now I have a bit of blue fescue growing in a pot and I really like it, but it just sprouted a couple weeks ago so I have no idea how it'll look once it fills in the pot.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

quote:

Grows erect and arches at the top.

Hey now.

Does the black bamboo go gangbusters everywhere you do not want it, akin to the "normal" variety?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mizufusion posted:

One of the things I've been planning for a while is landscaping with native grasses, which tend to be drought resistant. Our water bill has been ridiculous lately because we have lawns in the front and back yards, and it does not rain during summer here. There are some really pretty grasses at Larner Seeds, but I'm not sure if everyone else will think they're as pretty as I do. I'd hate to plant a bunch of grasses only to have everyone think they're weeds.. In fact I'm pretty sure several of these things are considered weeds by gardeners. Maybe fescue would look less weedy than some of those. Right now I have a bit of blue fescue growing in a pot and I really like it, but it just sprouted a couple weeks ago so I have no idea how it'll look once it fills in the pot.

Personally I like the look of wilder lawns, but then again I'm not a homeowner so it might just be my enviro-hippy mindset showing. I think it's reason enough to plant a more diverse and local variety of plants so you can be more water conscious. Where I live there are a couple of houses that don't have traditional lawns, they just let non-grass plants grow wild on their property (although they probably planted and took care of them). I bet their neighbors hate it and it might have implications to your property value or something like that. For context, I live in a fairly liberal area so it might not be advisable to do anything drastic in an area where they are more attached to lawns. And there might be some laws against it or your homeowner's association may not allow it. Unfortunately I can't help you with grass choice I just want to wish you luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fog Tripper posted:

Hey now.

Does the black bamboo go gangbusters everywhere you do not want it, akin to the "normal" variety?

Are you asking if that bamboo is the "running" type of bamboo that grows everywhere and into your neighbor's neighbor's lawn? Luckily, Timor black bamboo is one of the few black bamboos that grow in clumps instead of running wildly. However, it seems that if you live in zones with harsh winters, the gangbuster bamboos are decent options.

I just remembered that I have some Pink Muhly Grass if anyone's interested. They're native in Texas, and are used to the heat and cold. Make lovely pink flowers in fall. I haven't figured out how to sow the seeds, but I love how they look at my local businesses. Also, good luck, Mizufusion if you're going to be growing native grasses! It really makes a difference for native fauna to be able to visit those once-plentiful plants.