Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't think I'd need to feed them at all considering its 0-2 degrees Celsius here and the loving flying things are all over still. It wouldn't be a problem if they'd stay out of the house. In other news my herbs got some kind of fungus and it killed the basil. The mint seems to be holding it off but I think I'll cut the meristems off and try to culture them. So that leaves me with contaminated soil would it still be good for plants if I put it in a drying oven and heated it to 150 degrees Celsius for a hour? I figure that should make sure that drat fungus doesn't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I just got a couple new tillandsia as an early Christmas gift from my partner.

We aren't totally sure on species; I think the big curly one is xerographica or streptophylla but not entirely sure. I hope I don't kill it! The little one is some Florida native a friend sent me.

E: the store it came from said it has to be a young xerographica. Weird how green it is!

Anyone else keep tillandsia?

Pardalis fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 9, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh man I love Tillandsia. My local cactus nursery also has a huge selection (40+ species) of Tillandsia, and I've been collecting a number of them. I can't see it super clearly, but the plant on the left in that bottom picture sort of looks like T. butzii, which is one of my favorite species. I really need to wrangle up someone's cool camera to document my plants for this thread, cause I'd love to geek out.

I still haven't decided on my favorite way to display Tillandsia. I've got a couple displayed in large shells, and your driftwood mounts look pretty nice. I feel like some little nooks in the corners of my house would be good.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 18, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had a few awhile ago, but gave one away in a move and another died no matter what I did. I did love the bulbosa I had. Nice and octopus-like.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The bottom photo isn't butzii but I am not totally sure what it is. It is a common Florida native from a friend's yard and came in big hairy bundles, but not quite spanish moss style hairy. I have since added a few plants around the two on that piece to fill it in a bit more naturally.

I really want to get some bulbosa. I used to have one but I killed it pretty quick :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alright plant thread, my roommate and I recently built some shelves for plant display around the house and I used his phone to get some decent pictures.

First up is a trio of Mammillaria, none of which came with a species I.D.

The little blooms on that last one are so cute :3:

This is my roommate's Pilosocereus flexibilispinus of which I am a bit jealous.

And his Cleistocactus tupizensis, which he has named Dugtrio. Bonus Tillandsia velutina red on the pot and T. bulbosa on the shelf.

Next we have 2 shots of my Edithcolea grandis, or Persian carpet flower. If I can manage to not kill it (they're a bit finicky), the blooms will be awesome.

Here we've got Trichocereus grandiflorus on the left and Astrophytum ornatum on the right.

Melocactus zehnteri.

A crested Cereus spegazzinii.

Myrtillocactus geometricans, crested.

A little baby Carnegiea gigantea – a giant Saguaro! It seems so cute with the big long spines, like a puppy dog with big feet :3:

Montrose form of Opuntia subulata. These get to be about 2 feet tall and sort of bushy looking. Very rad when full grown.

Next to it is a sort of half-assed airplant display with T. butzii in the back, T. ionantha 'fuego' in the front and one whose species I can't remember in the middle.

I'm much more pleased with this arrangement, which I will be giving my sister for Christmas. The tall one is T. juncea 'Red-green', the fat one is T. seleriana, and the starburst shaped one is T. harrisii. Seleriana is one of my favorite Tillandisa species.

For my dad I made this arrangement of frog moss and "indoor foliage" (no one at the nursery was quite sure what they were, but one of the girls there thought it might be a bamboo palm). I made it well in advance to make sure I could reliably keep the moss alive, since I know it can be hard to keep. Seems to be doing well so far!

For my mom I made this planting of Pachycereus marginatus and another unidentified Mammillaria. Unfortunately the P. marginatus will probably outgrow the pot within a year or two, but it looks pretty cool right now. And that Mammillaria has little fish-hook spines. It's so adorable.

My roommate's aloe. Can't remember the species.

A terrarium I made of Crassula ovata 'Gollum', baby toes, and a split rock. It looks cool enough, but I'm gonna unmake it soon and re-plant the components in proper pots. The watering issue in terraria is too stressful, especially since the Crassula and the others have very different needs (I did not realize this when I put them together).

Mimosa pudica. It's being sensitive in the picture cause I just watered it.

Dioscorea elephantipes. I love the way these look when they have a fat caudex and a delicate little vine trailing up. My current small caudex/big leaves combo is also pretty neat.

Here's some species of Selaginella, a.k.a. Spike Moss. The aerial roots really want to spread!

On the right here is an arrangement of a bigger Crassula ovata 'Gollum', Haworthia cymbiformis, and I can't remember the species of the fan-like guy. In the middle is my Drosera capensis getting some sun (waiting until we finish our grow environment). On the left is some Crassula cuttings I stuck in a pot cause why not.

Here's a Venus flytrap and a couple unidentified Drosera.

Finally, some shots of the shelves inside.

Most of the plants we have displayed can't stay long indoors, so we're gonna be rotating them out into the sun/acquiring more indoor plants. Still pretty cool!

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Kenning posted:

Here's a Venus flytrap and a couple unidentified Drosera.

Is that the final living arrangement of these three?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

No. I'm finally assembling a frame for my fluorescent light fixture today, then they're gonna go in a shallow Rubbermaid bin with some distilled water in it under the fluoros. I'll probably also re-pot them into deeper pots so they're closer to the lights and farther from the water.

That's also when I'll start to germinate the D. burmanii, D. intermedia, and D. filiformis 'Florida all-red' seeds that I bought.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Kenning posted:

Alright plant thread, my roommate and I recently built some shelves for plant display around the house and I used his phone to get some decent pictures.

God these are incredible. Thanks for posting.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Thanks! I'm lucky to have a number of excellent nurseries nearby.

We also finished our sundew frame. The light is hosed cause of the time of day when we took the photos:

As you can see, there's room for one more shop light and also another Rubbermaid tub. Next stop: a trip to California Carnivores up in Sebastopol.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have one of these! I love the way it blooms, just kind of in a ring here or there on the trunk. It's a mammillaria matudae, "thumb cactus."

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Sweet plant collection, Kenning! You're lucky to get so much indoor light.

Pardalis, I've got a small collection of Tillandsias. I'll have to post photos of them next time I take my camera out. My favorite of the lot is a large, sprawling T. caput-medusae that I've had for at least... three years? More? It's a beast, and it survived a cross-country road trip.

The other ones that I have positive IDs for are T. funckiana, T. bulbosa, T. velutina, and T. ionantha 'fuego'. The rest are mystery bargain bin Tillandsias.

I'm really lazy and water them by soaking 'em for a few hours every 1-2 weeks. Amazingly enough, they're doing okay on that schedule.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Thanks! We do have great light in the entryway where most of the shelves are located. There's a weird floor-to-ceiling frosted window, it's awesome. I totally want to see pictures of your Tillandsia collection too – airplants are super rad.

Also, those grow lights have made a huge improvement on my D. capensis. It's had very spotty dew production for the last couple weeks, but now all the newer leaves are putting out really robust dew drops. Remember: Drosera species need lots of light to produce dew, since they can only make sugars through photosynthesis, and the dew requires lots and lots of sugar. I'm gonna start feeding my D. capensis soon, which should make the seeds nice and strong.

As for those little mystery Drosera, they're not producing any dew at all, and haven't since I got them. They were stored sort of funny, and the nursery didn't even have a species I.D., so I'm not really stressing it too much – I got them 2 for 1, and I'll be satisfied if they survive.

Leperflesh posted:

I have one of these! I love the way it blooms, just kind of in a ring here or there on the trunk. It's a mammillaria matudae, "thumb cactus."

Awesome, that looks right! Actually I bought that cactus because I saw this picture of yours and thought it had great personality. I'd been looking for one for a couple weeks when I found it. How cool :)

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Kenning posted:

a trip to California Carnivores

Lucky! :P

Consider joining the BACPS. They're a great bunch!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Kenning posted:

The little blooms on that last one are so cute :3:

That one is adorable; I want one so much :3:

Your whole set up is beautiful and incredible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I noticed that my pothos leaves all had drops of water right on the tips in the morning. Closer investigation and some research later: It's guttation. When plants have too much water and cant transpire it at night because the pores close. So... plant pee?

So yeah. Plants pee pretty.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Ooooooh. How do you tell the difference between dew and pretty plant pee?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it's forming in regular, identical locations on your plant, it's probably guttation.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Sure that's a pothos? Pothos leaves are usually smooth edged and waxy looking.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kenning posted:

Awesome, that looks right! Actually I bought that cactus because I saw this picture of yours and thought it had great personality. I'd been looking for one for a couple weeks when I found it. How cool :)

Hah, right on. I don't think I've ever inspired someone to buy a cactus before!

If it helps, I pretty heavily neglect the little guy, he just sits out on the porch in moderate light, sheltered from the rain, and during the summer gets watered anywhere from daily to once a week depending on if I remember to water. He blooms pretty much whenever the whim takes him, and has grown a couple of inches in the last four years.

Enfys posted:

That one is adorable; I want one so much :3:

Yessss you get one too, the chain will continue

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

unprofessional posted:

Sure that's a pothos? Pothos leaves are usually smooth edged and waxy looking.

No that's not a pothos, its just a general picture of the process. :v:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Hah, right on. I don't think I've ever inspired someone to buy a cactus before!

If it helps, I pretty heavily neglect the little guy, he just sits out on the porch in moderate light, sheltered from the rain, and during the summer gets watered anywhere from daily to once a week depending on if I remember to water. He blooms pretty much whenever the whim takes him, and has grown a couple of inches in the last four years.

Yessss you get one too, the chain will continue

I am definitely on the lookout for one now, so you can consider yourself some kind of cactus muse.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
An interesting pine for you all: Pinus virginiana 'Wate's Golden.' It turns bright yellow in the winter. This one's in my grow out bed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
On a whim, I bought a bunch of tulip bulbs for the first time. Some early-season, some mid-season, all really cool looking. This being central Arizona, the overwhelming recommendation was to do an abbreviated force on them as our winters aren't cold enough long enough for many varieties. I dutifully chilled them and planted them (in the ground) around Thanksgiving, as was the recommendation for a spring bloom.

Then we had a freak heat wave this week (highs in the 80s!) and they've all decided it's time to come up. :suicide:

So, with months of hard freezes ahead of us, are they doomed? That whole bed's getting a frost cloth hoop house for the winter, but I'm not sure if the 6-8 degrees that affords will be enough when we dip into the 20s.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 21, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a little bonsai mangrove that I've successfully kept alive for a few years now, but I think I may have nearly killed it. My windows have a slight UV coating on them so it doesn't get enough sun in the winter, thus when it's a nice warm day I put it outside to catch some rays. Except I forgot that I put it outside and left it out there on two ~20°F nights.

The majority of its leaves now have a sickly brown, mottled coloration on them and while it doesn't look entirely dead, it's clearly very unhappy. Is there anything I can do to help nurse it back to health, or should I just keep watering it and hope for the best?

I am a monster :ohdear:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

kedo posted:

I have a little bonsai mangrove that I've successfully kept alive for a few years now, but I think I may have nearly killed it. My windows have a slight UV coating on them so it doesn't get enough sun in the winter, thus when it's a nice warm day I put it outside to catch some rays. Except I forgot that I put it outside and left it out there on two ~20°F nights.

The majority of its leaves now have a sickly brown, mottled coloration on them and while it doesn't look entirely dead, it's clearly very unhappy. Is there anything I can do to help nurse it back to health, or should I just keep watering it and hope for the best?

I am a monster :ohdear:

Sounds pretty dead, but best way to find out is start cutting into it. Start from top (assuming this is where it's most dead), and cut out until you reach nice non-mushy wood. I've killed jades all the way down to ground level and cut out all the dead stuff to have it resprout. There's a chance the whole thing is toast, though. If none of it is mushy, wait and see.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Molten Llama posted:

On a whim, I bought a bunch of tulip bulbs for the first time. Some early-season, some mid-season, all really cool looking. This being central Arizona, the overwhelming recommendation was to do an abbreviated force on them as our winters aren't cold enough long enough for many varieties. I dutifully chilled them and planted them (in the ground) around Thanksgiving, as was the recommendation for a spring bloom.

Then we had a freak heat wave this week (highs in the 80s!) and they've all decided it's time to come up. :suicide:

So, with months of hard freezes ahead of us, are they doomed? That whole bed's getting a frost cloth hoop house for the winter, but I'm not sure if the 6-8 degrees that affords will be enough when we dip into the 20s.

Things sound tough, but so long as they're protected from the wind, I have no problem imagining that they'll be fine. Cold, searing winds are usually what winds up killing plants, but cold temperatures by themselves should be fine for tulip sprouts. Best of luck to you though and please keep us updated!

I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season this year. I'm pretty happy right now, because aside from surviving a possible nightmare Christmas party in the best way possible, I also found what was wrong with my variegated African violet. Turns out the room that I've been keeping my other non-variegated African violets was to shady for it, so it was slowly dying and having its leaves melt. I've put it back on to my really sunny kitchen window, and it's been improving a lot. :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

unprofessional posted:

Sounds pretty dead, but best way to find out is start cutting into it. Start from top (assuming this is where it's most dead), and cut out until you reach nice non-mushy wood. I've killed jades all the way down to ground level and cut out all the dead stuff to have it resprout. There's a chance the whole thing is toast, though. If none of it is mushy, wait and see.

:stonk: Gah, I hope that's not what I have to do... I've never tried something like that before and am sure I'd kill it.

After a few days indoors it seems to be doing okay. There are still a slew of brown leaves, but there are also a couple of green ones that seem to be clinging to life. The trunk doesn't feel mushy at all when I squeeze it, so perhaps it'll be alright?

Should I pull off all the leaves that are entirely brown? There are a bunch that are sort of half and half, but I worry the brown ones are just preventing the other non-dead leaves from getting sun. They don't seem to want to fall off on their own.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 27, 2013

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
You can try clipping parts of the brown leaves off with scissors. If it doesn't fall off readily, then it's not a good idea to try yanking.

Ask me and my poor plants how I know. :gonk:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Looks frost burnt - might not be dead. Let dead leaves fall off; when it starts to push new foliage, trim the whole thing back hard so you don't have a ton of bare branches with foliage on the ends. How long since it's been repotted with fresh media?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Here's a picture of a plant that's blooming in winter. Its the beautiful red-yellow Kalanchoe luciae with a frost blue flower stem. Actually, it's been holding off on actually opening those blooms ever since October because once it does so, it will die. I don't blame you at all for trying to stave off the inevitable, Kalanchoe luciae, I'll miss you. :(

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help!

unprofessional posted:

Looks frost burnt - might not be dead. Let dead leaves fall off; when it starts to push new foliage, trim the whole thing back hard so you don't have a ton of bare branches with foliage on the ends. How long since it's been repotted with fresh media?

It's been awhile (maybe two years) and I was actually planning on repotting it in the near future, but I think I may wait a bit now since it's clearly in an unhappy state.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I have a Boston Fern and it keeps producing these leafless "stems" that come horizontally away from the plant and out of the pot. They will get like a foot long (or perhaps longer) and they're really thin, way thinner than a regular stem with leaves.

What are these? They don't produce leaves. They don't appear to be "going" anywhere (like into the soil), what's up with them? It's almost like a vine. They grow from the ends because the last inch or so will be green and the whole rest of it is brown/dead looking. I just cut off part of one and stuck it into the soil, I wonder if it will make a new fern?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

razz posted:

I have a Boston Fern and it keeps producing these leafless "stems" that come horizontally away from the plant and out of the pot. They will get like a foot long (or perhaps longer) and they're really thin, way thinner than a regular stem with leaves.

What are these? They don't produce leaves. They don't appear to be "going" anywhere (like into the soil), what's up with them? It's almost like a vine. They grow from the ends because the last inch or so will be green and the whole rest of it is brown/dead looking. I just cut off part of one and stuck it into the soil, I wonder if it will make a new fern?

Sounds like runner roots - from poking around on the internet that's how it propogates. Maybe put a smaller pot next to it and poke some of them into it and get another fern? They need to stay attached to the main plant like an umbilical cord for awhile though if that's the case.

I have a succulent question. I bought this guy quite awhile ago but forgot its name:

I've had it for a little over a year and really love it, but I'm having pruning issues. Once a year or so I prune it back, because the plant's so fleshy that the branches tend to snap under their own weight if I let them get too long. They also layer over one another and torque as they grow so they snap each other, so I try to trim it back to stop that. I also remove all the largest leaves from the bottom of the plant. However, after the last prune back it doesn't seem to be regrowing anything, which is annoying because where all the leaves were removed it's just sticks now:

Not very attractive. I saw one or two new branches trying to grow above the cuts, but they died immediately. Now I'm afraid to prune it back anymore because it doesn't seem to be recovering well - what'd I do wrong, and how do I encourage some new branches? Am I pruning too aggressively? I just can't let it grow on its own or the main branches get longer and longer and it starts falling apart.

eta: it had a really traumatic repotting this summer after which I was sure it was going to die, maybe it's still recovering from that?

I also have a Moses-in-the-Reeds, which ... doesn't look very impressive. Also its juices give me a rash when I prune it:

but the undersides of its leaves are a really nice shade of purple. It is currently recovering from a failed stint as an office plant (it did not enjoy the corporate world and came back home to convalesce).

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2014

speaksoftly
Feb 18, 2011
Does anyone here use grow lights? Right now I have a cactus, a steel plant and a evergreen inside for the winter and I know they aren't getting enough light. I can't move them into the room with the best light because it gets cold in there very easily. Would one of these work? http://amzn.to/1hFAVF9 Or, am I going to have to find a way to chisel out room and use something like this? http://amzn.to/19jlwHR

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

fuzzy_logic posted:

Sounds like runner roots - from poking around on the internet that's how it propogates. Maybe put a smaller pot next to it and poke some of them into it and get another fern? They need to stay attached to the main plant like an umbilical cord for awhile though if that's the case.

I have a succulent question. I bought this guy quite awhile ago but forgot its name:

I've had it for a little over a year and really love it, but I'm having pruning issues. Once a year or so I prune it back, because the plant's so fleshy that the branches tend to snap under their own weight if I let them get too long. They also layer over one another and torque as they grow so they snap each other, so I try to trim it back to stop that. I also remove all the largest leaves from the bottom of the plant. However, after the last prune back it doesn't seem to be regrowing anything, which is annoying because where all the leaves were removed it's just sticks now:

Not very attractive. I saw one or two new branches trying to grow above the cuts, but they died immediately. Now I'm afraid to prune it back anymore because it doesn't seem to be recovering well - what'd I do wrong, and how do I encourage some new branches? Am I pruning too aggressively? I just can't let it grow on its own or the main branches get longer and longer and it starts falling apart.

eta: it had a really traumatic repotting this summer after which I was sure it was going to die, maybe it's still recovering from that?

I also have a Moses-in-the-Reeds, which ... doesn't look very impressive. Also its juices give me a rash when I prune it:

but the undersides of its leaves are a really nice shade of purple. It is currently recovering from a failed stint as an office plant (it did not enjoy the corporate world and came back home to convalesce).

The first guy is leggy, probably because it isn't getting enough light. You would have to cut it back further to get bushier growth lower.

The second one is a "Moses-in-the-cradle". Actually, that plant has tons of variations on that name. It's also a noxious weed in many parts of the world. It too looks leggy. You can tell because they typically don't develop stems like that. Put it in a brighter place.

speaksoftly posted:

Does anyone here use grow lights? Right now I have a cactus, a steel plant and a evergreen inside for the winter and I know they aren't getting enough light. I can't move them into the room with the best light because it gets cold in there very easily. Would one of these work? http://amzn.to/1hFAVF9 Or, am I going to have to find a way to chisel out room and use something like this? http://amzn.to/19jlwHR

If you huddle those 3 together, that CFL should work. Or you could just get a 4 foot T8 or T12 fluorescent hanging fixture and some grow bulbs at Home Depot. Pick up a timer with a 3 prong socket while you're at it.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
Plant pots are the best Christmas present because it just gives me an excuse to get new plants. I really love these pots--they're cement pots that are casted and molded out of fruit.

In the avocado, we have a stone succulent and a paper cactus. Moon cactus in the orange. And an unkown spiky succulent in the horned melon.

This is how they snuck in a drainage hole :)

Kenning posted:

Finally, some shots of the shelves inside.

Gosh, I'm so jealous of all your shelf space. Nice collection.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Those pots are awesome. :aaa:

Anyone have advice on lithops? I bought a small pot of them a couple months ago, and they seem to just shrivel and liquefy from the inside out after a bit. I have no idea if I'm watering too much or two little, or if they're sick or what. :sigh:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

speaksoftly posted:

If you put the high-watt CFL inside a clamp reflector, it will work well for one plant, but it probably won't have enough spread for multiple plants. You can get cheaper set-ups than the T5 stand you linked by just buying a T8 shop-light from a Home Depot kind of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

Those fruit planters are so cute! I might have to make something like that as I have been seeing a lot of "make your own cement planter" DIY's on my feeds lately.

I moved and my new place has huge sunny windows with built in shelves. This means more plants. We also managed to score a huge yard and I plan to build a greenhouse and reclaim the barren wasteland around it. Right now that amounts to scavenging driftwood to build beds, amending the soil, and starting a few seeds indoors.

In the meantime, I have been really into the house plants. A lot of them got neglected during the move, so I am carefully bringing them back from the trauma.

This portulaca in particular has seen much better days but it is bouncing back!

I have two large ficus trees and I decided that I wanted aerial roots to form on them. I hope my neighbors haven't noticed it :tinfoil: It should be able to come off in a month or so assuming the roots start forming. I might weave them as they grow. Both trees are putting on heavy new growth after a serious prune and repotting last month.

I keep a lot of terrariums but this is the only one with very interesting plants in it. I have never tried to grow orchids, but so far so good. It smells amazing. I have it anchored to a branch with fishing line and moss. This houses pygmy chameleons, by the way.

I want to live in this orchid.

Cuttings of wandering jew, dwarf hen and chicks, dead corkscrew rush pieces, a tiny tillandsia, resurrection fern, and a small palm all on this side. (the hen and chicks want light but gently caress 'em, I have hordes outside.)

The other side has some fun little nubby succulents, weird bright green seviperum, and some odd succulent type plant I found at IKEA. The leaf litter is all ficus or houseplant leaves. Also some lichen I'm likin'.

Some aloe and kalanchoe EagerSleeper sent me. I've managed to not kill them! I should pot them up proper soon. Not pictured is the sweet basil and portulaca I am growing from the seeds I got in the trade.

Some weird aloe my partner saved from her ex roommates neglect.

This is what I hope is a Meyer lemon tree, though it might just be a very happy rando dwarf root stock like my other Meyer lemon and possibly key lime. I need to do better with citrus but at least I have kept these alive for two years now. The sad little thing next to it is lime basil that the cats got to. It has tiny babby leaves, though, so there is hope yet.

My various tillandsia have multiplied. This one is t. argentea.

t. butzii

wee tiny babby streptophylla

t. palancea giant form

Plant Trading! EagerSleeper sent me some starts and seeds a few months ago and it was super fun! If you are interested in trading seeds or cuttings with me, PM me or post it here! I have a looooot of stuff for the garden, as ornamentals, and for planting terrariums. It would be fun to trade with some goons and make our green thumbs greener.