Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Unfortunately I've just discovered a bastard mite infection on a bunch of my houseplants, some of them quite a venerable heritage - it looks like little fluffy dots on vulnerable and sheltered spots, almost like small cochineal bugs, which I totally wouldn't expect being in the UK. What's a good way to get rid of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

kedo posted:

Anyone know what these mushrooms/fungi are? I just found them growing in a bed outside a few minutes ago and they're blowing my mind.

Hand for scale (and mimicking the mushroom for fun)

that looks like this

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/pseudocolus_fusiformis.html

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hey I’ve got a purple oxalis in an indoor pot that’s done great over the summer, but it’s got a bit big and bushy. Can I just cut that sucker back or will that kill it?

BTW the leaves are pretty delicious.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Judging by the oxalis in my lawn, you can cut it back every week and it will never die

showbiz_liz posted:

Purple oxalis is the first plant I ever kept alive long-term, and I can tell you: I moved into an apartment with terrible lighting, realized my potted oxalis was doing badly, put the dying potted oxalis underneath my bed for a full year, it turned into a pot of literally just dirt, and then once I moved somewhere with light and stuck it in a window and watered it again, it sprang back to life immediately and got bushy and huge. I have since divided it like five times and now I have SO MANY oxalis and they cannot die.

Basically, cut it back as much as you want, it will be just fine.

thanks, I've just given it a rather severe haircut

the fart question fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 13, 2020

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

It’s not supposed to be droopy like that.

Got hit by a hard frost before I remembered to bring it in for the winter.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

What monstrose form is that? Hobbit?

Silver lining, the plant did its own defoliation!

It’s about 20 years old now, but I think it’s Gollum. Instead of its usual bright green it now looks like over cooked asparagus 😢

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

All the leaves were basically mush so I defoliated