Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Hello thread! I only just now discovered you. I am curious if this would be an alright place to post about some palm trees (washingtonia robusta) I am growing? Most posts are about succulents and all, so let me know if I should go pound dirt or if there's a tree thread I'm totally overlooking.

Right now I'm in the process of germinating the seeds using some homemade incubators:

The iced tea bottles have had holes drilled in the bottom and are made up of old pots, peat moss, and succulent soil. The seeds have yet to germinate (that I can tell) but it can take a few weeks even in the right conditions. In the sun, the inside of the bottles are nice and warm and humid. I've been keeping them indoors overnight.

I'm attempting to grow these in Western Washington. Washingtonia (the irony) palms tend not to grow here and usually if you see a palm tree, it's a short trachycarpus that are more cold and wet resistant. I've heard there is a washingtonia filibusta (crossbreed of a robusta and filifera) growing near Bremerton, but I haven't gone to take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Bees on Wheat posted:

I looked up pictures of that tree and it looks like california.jpg. Goonspeed on getting them to grow, but drat I hate those things. :ca:

You are not alone, my friend. They are indeed the classic "sky dusters". I've been chatting about my new hobby with a few friends and every former-Californian I've spoken to about it has had the same reaction. They grow like weeds in Southern California and require ripping up just to keep outdoor gardens from turning into palm tree nightmares. The flip side for me is blackberry bushes, which grow like weeds here and cannot be killed, but most people around the country love and try to grow on purpose. I hate those loving plants.

Near Seattle, where I am, washingtonia palms just don't exist. I think it's too wet (during the winter), but not necessarily too cold. I'm in a hardiness zone 9A, which is just on the edge of their growing zone. Gonna test that theory and probably kill some wa. robusta saplings in a few years when I transition them to outdoors only.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I'm a new home owner and the previous owner planted a small palm tree in the front yard before selling. I don't know how to take care of this thing. It looks unhealthy but I can't tell. I currently water it about every 4 days.

Based on the trunk (interwoven bootjacks followed by a smooth trunk), it looks like this might be a Sabal Palmetto palm, in which case you might be over watering it. It can handle cold weather pretty well and doesn't do too bad with a lot of water as long as it drains. Most palmettos don't require a lot of maintenance, but it depends on where you are.