Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So I inherited a 30 year old Goldfish plant.

Its winter, we get little sunlight, and the drat thing is flowering. What's up? It's supposed to be losing leaves and be hibernating....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anything special I need to know about Kalanchoe longiflora or Crassula argentea besides not letting the soil dry completely and giving them sun? They're pretty boring now but hey! I got goldfish plants! They started off as just the big one. I'm up to...12? Odds are I'll give away the ones in the Patron bottles, start some more in actual pots. The big one is pushing 40 years old. I know very little other than they are fussy plants.

P.S. Anyone in the Seattle area want one of the small ones?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 18, 2014

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I've got a 35 year old goldfish plant in its original pot. It's overcrowded and not doing too well. Apparently I need to trim the root ball, but I'm not sure where to start, and if I can do it without risking the plant. Any advice?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So I put some Sedum in with a couple goldfish plant starts in an 8" pot. I figured the goldfish plant is really susceptible to root rot, so having something else to wick up excess water is a good idea. They both seem quite happy, the Nematanthus growing slowly as usual and the Sedum exploding. I've trimmed back the Sedum some, at least the few parts that are outpacing the Nematanthus and planted them in the yard. If I keep the Sedum trimmed, should these two live together in harmony?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

That is a gorgeous Crassula. I can't even begin to guess how old it is.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

On the topic of Crassula, I have C. ovata, real young one. Anything I need to be aware of that the internet hasn't told me already?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My 40 year old Nematanthus is dead. I'm still not sure why. I may have burned the leaves, but that wouldn't account for how severe the damage was. I'm not sure what to do, I've never lost a plant this old.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My surviving Nematanthus has aphids, fungus gnats, and springtails. What the hell do I do?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

unprofessional posted:

Springtails are beneficial to your soil medium, but I can understand why you wouldn't want bugs on your plants in general. You can do neem oil treatments fairly effectively, but you generally have to keep reapplying it for a while for it to have long-term effectiveness. I would consider repotting into fresh media, as well as the neem oil treatment. Also, make sure the top of your potting media is drying out a bit before you are watering.

I'm not sure if nematanthus can take aphid and bug spray. The drat aphids are doing a fair amount of damage. Any ideas?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Any idea how I can get a few kudzu seeds? I'd like to try growing in indoors, fry some leaves up, make a salad, and generally have a houseplant that grows faster than bamboo..

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Got these little white bugs all over a six year old African Violet. No clue what they are, but there are also aphids on the drat thing.

http://imgur.com/fFSKFbb
What are they, and how do I kill them?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 10, 2014

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

No idea, 7thBatallion, I'm sorry. Any chance they might be springtails?

Euphorbia question! I recently acquired a bitty Euphorbia milii 'Lemon Drops', maybe 3 or 4 inches tall at most. I hope to bonsai the little thing someday. It has been going gangbusters and putting out new leaves all summer, but I've also noticed that the thorns/spines seem very soft and un-thornlike to the touch. As in, poke a thorn and it bends or folds, even the thorns on the newest growth. Is that normal for Euphorbia? Or is something wrong?

No way they are springtails. They are far smaller, barely move if at all, are fuzzy, and at least one looks like a little white scorpion. They are just bigger than the eye of a needle.

And they all must die.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Some questions about some of the plants I own.

What are these little white specs on this little guy. I first thought they were an insect infestation (and they sort of look like it under a magnifying glass), but they never move and I haven't seen any adults or other bugs.

Thanks.

Same things I have on my African Violets and Nematanthus.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So, I'm looking at making some Kudzu blosom jelly and Mead. Maybe some beer as well. I've considered growing it indoors under extremely controlled conditions, which if I eat or burn any unused bits would be pretty drat safe. Beyond that, any ideas how to get the blossoms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Weird rear end question. How does Kudzu grow indoors? Trimming it regularly, keeping it under say, four feet, will it still flower? Can it even grow indoors?