Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

gender illusionist posted:

Check out this flower that popped out of one of my cacti last summer. The thing grew a really long stalk over a week or so, bloomed the most amazing fluorescent white/pink triffid like flower for a couple of days then wilted back to nothing.

This is an Echinopsis, of which there is a fantastic collection of hybrids that the Huntington garden sells for only $7 a plant, if you're looking to start collecting.

I love botany. Sometime in the future I'd like to pursue a Master's in horticulture. I've shared a bit of what I grow in some other threads, but can add it here to give a bit of plant diversity to the thread.

Water lilies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zQYMruFq8

I am also into rare conifers and grafting. Here are some from this year:

Pinus densiflora 'Oculus-draconis'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Aurea'

Picea orientalis 'Skylands'

Here is a mature 'Skylands'

Conifers can be extremely interesting plants, outside of all the dwarf alberta spruce and arborvitaes you see. Here are some I have or are getting (pictures taken at public gardens):

Picea glauca 'Pendula':

Cupressus nootketensis 'Green Arrow':

Picea abies 'Fort Ann':

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

razz posted:

Mine are tall and "leggy". I wonder why that is? How can I get them to grow outward instead of upward?
Succulents that are leggy are etiolated, which means they need more light. Graptopetalums are very similar in growing habits to echervias, which are very easy to grow (though of less cold hardiness than the similar looking sempervivums). Easy way to grow them in a pot: 25% bagged cacti mix, 75% perlite. Don't use sand - it compacts in pots and leads to root rot, the main killer of cacti/succulents. Water when it starts to look stressed, and give it as much sun as possible. Good outdoor summer sun will lead to a plant with excellent color and you will probably get blooms mid-winter.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Found two Picea abies witches brooms today. Will get scoins to graft from them this winter.

If anybody finds a witches broom, I'd be happy to graft it for them.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Best thing you could do for it is to plant it. It looks like it's probably rootbound, and possibly rotting in the soil. It needs to be repotted into something bigger, or (in the least) if going into the same pot, given new growing material (if you buy a bagged potting soil, cut it in half with an inorganic such as perlite). When you repot it, I'd saw the bottom inch or so of roots off, especially if they're circling the pot, and put a bit of osmocote (slow release fertilizer) in it.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You never need feed your fly trap. Surprisingly, it's a fairly stressful process for the plant. Don't let morons keep triggering the traps, either.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well with it. They're native to the US, so unless it's freezing, it'll be fine outdoors (assuming it's not in a black pot that will overheat or a terrarium). They live in environments with extremely low ph, so don't just go repotting it. If it ever gets to a size where you would like to change pots, I can advise on soil.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Will climb and use a pole pruner so I don't have to go all the way up. Worst comes to worst, I can use a shotgun to get some pieces off.

Check out those possible witches brooms and get pictures! They're out there more than people realize, and you could name your own cultivar! As much as I hate to admit it, the two I found are on Picea abies, which throws brooms like crazy, so there's no commercial value, but it's pretty neat to be able to say you discovered a new plant.

If you're in to prickly pears (Optunia), or you've always wanted to grow cacti/succulents outside but thought you couldn't, check out Cold Hardy Cactus. The guy that runs it has been collecting and growing them in Colorado forever. I want some of his tree yuccas bad.

Do you know which juniper species you tried to take cuttings of? Chinensis, virginiana, and scopulorum are all generally grafted, but the rest you can do cuttings of. Michael Dirr's The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propogation is a must-have if you're interested in serious propagation, but just let me know which species you're interested in, and I can post the info here.

unprofessional fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 1, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Definitely Crassula tetragona. I would trim the three reaching branches way back, to get more branching. Also, get it in a lot of direct sun! It'll color up really nicely and you'll get blooms near christmas.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

dinozaur posted:

This was one of my favorite succulents from many years ago until it was destroyed in a move. Anyone have a clue what it may be?

Looks like a Euphorbia of some type. Extremely large genus, though, so hard to know them all.

Hummingbirds, your jade is a jade (Crassula ovata). Nice adenium.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Few notes:

Your Australia orchid appears to be a Dendrobium; you should mount it on a tree on your property.

Your tillandsia do indeed appear to be dead.

You can plant all your succulents in your zone; they'll be happier than the conditions you have them in now. For future reference, don't leave stuff in the pots you buy them in, use a potting soil that's cut with at least 50% inorganics, and don't water every day.

Looks at how big redwoods get. Does it make any sense to have it that close to a fence? It's not tall enough for you to prune it up above the fence, and won't be for years, so it's gonna be ugly. Keep giving it lots of water, but put it somewhere with some space.

Your "tall flower plant thingies" are cannas - take the aeonium out of your pond and put the cannas in it in a pot with the top of the soil level with the top of the water - they're semi-aquatic and will look even nicer in it.

Bark on that tree indicates sycamore, but can't say for certain without seeing the leaves; they'll look very similar to maple leaves. Canopy is definitely sparse, but it doesn't look bad.

Your floating plants look to be water hyacinth; a nice ornamental, but very invasive in California, so don't let any get thrown into an in-ground pond.

Blackberry is extremely vigorous - cut back the shoots after every growing season, or it'll take over.

Prickly weed is thistle. Destroy as it will spread rampantly.

You actually have a lot of nice plants, but your place looks like a dump because it's all overgrown and not maintained. One of the best things you could possibly do is some raised beds in full sun with a substrate that'll drain easily and then put all over your succulents in it. Put the little ones in front and the big ones in back and you'll honestly have a great looking garden. Your aloe hybrids will spread, your aeonium will get big and lovely, and your mesembs will divide and be more interesting.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Succulent box looks good. Leave the rocks and the plants will grow in and around them - in a year you'll just have glimpses of them.

Yellowing leaves can be a lot of things, but in general, it's a sign of stress. Think of it as a balance: if a plant has enough energy, it puts that energy into getting bigger/flowering, if it doesn't have enough energy, it balances itself by dropping leaves. Don't fertilize a stressed plant. When did you plant these? It could be as simple as transplant shock. How many hours of sun is it getting? Generally east-facing is fine, as long as nothing blocks the morning sun. You might be overwatering if there's not a ton of sun on that side, but it seems unlikely at one watering a week, unless you've been having rain.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Costello Jello posted:

Well, that's a sentence I've never heard before, and may never hear again. But I think it's awesome that you're doing it. What do you use as rootstock, is there a gold standard species for conifer grafting?

I thought witches brooms formed because of hormonal response to stress damage from pathogens. So can they really be considered "cultivars" if the DNA of the plant is unchanged from wildtype? Or are they considered cultivars because the pathogen is still present in the grafting and therefore continuing the effects, and thus you can continue the lineage only through grafting?

Nearly every spruce can be grafted onto Picea abies, five-needle pines onto Pinus strobus, two-needle pines onto Pinus sylvestris, firs onto whichever rootstock is easiest to find in your location, arbovitaes and false-cypresses onto Thuga occidentalis anywhere with clay, and Thuga plicata anywhere else. There are exceptions to every rule though - eg. Pinus contorta var. latifolia 'Chief Joseph,' is generally only grafted onto Pinus contorta var. latifolia understock, making it a very expensive tree to graft, and it doesn't readily take to grafting, making it even rarer. Sure is a gorgeous tree, though.

I don't know enough to answer your second question definitively, but here's what a person more knowledable than myself said when asked if brooms were genetically the same as the parent plants, "chromosomes have shifted and the mutation is now not like the parent but rather an offspring." I have never seen a broom revert to normal growth (unlike sports on trees, which is a different deal altogether), so I suspect that's a pretty accurate assessment of it.

Here is a variegated sport I found on a local Thuga occidentalis 'Smaragd.' I was told it happens on about 1/100 of this cultivar, and always reverts back, so not worth propagating.

Here's another Picea abies broom I found recently. This is the most interesting of the brooms I've found, as it looks like it might cone heavily at a small size.

unprofessional fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 23, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Mystery bush ID: Ruta graveolens

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
My lilies are starting to bloom.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
First one's a mesemb, which are a cool group of plants. Lots of info on them online.

Second one's an echervia, which will probably make a flower stalk with pretty pinkish-purple blossoms.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
There are lots of hardy carnivorous plants to choose from! Culturing them is a little different from most plants, as they're generally bog plants requiring very low ph and almost no nutrients (thus, the carnivorous adaptation), but it can be done with just a little bit of research.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I've had great success growing my orchids in a northly clime semi-hydroponically. Mostly phals, but some dendrobiums and one I can't think of the name of atm. The key for semi-hydro is to have a completely inorganic media, and since grow shops are so prolific right now, hydroton (washed) makes a great one.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
All deer/rabbit repellents only work to the degree that the animal is hungry, if that makes sense, but our local botanical garden said the best ones they've used have been blood based (they also do a shitton of electric fence, which I bet helps a lot more). I've done the putrid egg ones before and can't say that it made much difference, aside from making me stink.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
There's probably a big one that the root suckers are originating from - they certainly have some girth to them. Fill a mustard squeeze container with roundup concentrate and apply directly to the leaves. Lot of people try cutting and roundup at the same time - don't. Let the poison do its work.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Round-up is just a brand name used for Glyphosate, so if your only problem is monsanto, it's offered by many other companies - just look for the active ingredient in what you're buying. It's honestly hard to beat as far as a safe herbicide, and does easily bind to soil particles and become inactive, limiting effects to organisms other than plants. I understand the fear, but there are few better alternatives.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
1) jade plant, that looks like it's been nicely stressed/grown outside.
2) graptopetelum or echervia
3) another crassola
4) christmas cactus
5) thanksgiving cactus
6) euphorbia 'Tiny Tim' I think - these tend to spread themselves around your property, but they're awesome plants. They don't have true flowers, so the "blooms" are modified leaves.

Not sure on your last two.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Amazingly, those euphorbias are just at home here in Michigan as they are in California.

Haifisch, with your Norfolk, think of it as a temporary house plant, as it will eventually outgrow its space, unless you start bonsai'ing it, and I've seen very few example of good bonsai ones. Your tree obviously has some health issue, which could be from pests or poor soil. My first step would be to unpot it, make sure the root mass isn't rotting (give a little scratch and you'll be able to tell if it's rotting or not), and repot in a potting mix that's highly inorganic, so drainage is improved. If it has tons of winding roots at the bottom of the pot, saw off the bottom two or three inches. If the roots look good, and you get it in something that drains really well, you can water it every day or so and not worry about drowning it. It might just perk up. If it's a pest, the most common indoors is a spider mite, which generally looks like little black dots. There are ways to get rid of them that you can find pretty easily.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

EagerSleeper posted:

^^^Just curious, but what did you say to them in order to get so many milk crates? "Hey can I have some of those boxes from the back?" and they said "sure?"

My best guess on what's wrong is pests, specifically spidermites. I'm thinks so since if it was overwatering/underwatering problem or not enough sun light, there should be yellow needles coming up from the lateral branches with the stem section still OK, instead of gray damage that ignores the lateral branches.

If it is spidermites after all, check for small silk threads/webbings. My lucky bamboo managed to get spidermites, and the leaves are speckled with very tiny dots that looks similar to dust or nutrient deficiency. Hopefully you can rinse them off or use a pesticide on them.

Off topic, but Timor Black Bamboo (Bambusa lako) is my new obsession right now. That blackness is just so sexy. :syoon:

Shame that my local nursery wants to charge me $150-$300 for a 7 gallon plant, while also seeds for them are very rare. I can certainly dream though...

A 3-gallon for $45: http://www.tropicalbamboo.com/bamboo_shopping.asp?bid=1&bamboo=Bambusa%20lako%20-%20Timor%20Black%20Bamboo

I've always like those black bamboos. Wish there were more of the large bamboos that were hardy to zone-5.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Those spines are gone - it happens. Pretty sure it's some form of Echinocereus.

Your potting mix looks high in organics. More than 50% should be inorganics, like vermiculite or turface, otherwise you risk rotting your nice litle cacti.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
If the stalk stays green, leave it; you'll often get smaller reblooms.

Does your leaf have wrinkles in it? If it's still nice and thick, no worries.

Your orchid is a Phalaenopsis, if you're interested in researching them.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Every year when it pushes new growth, trim the leader down to about an inch mid-june or early july. The new buds will set at this point. You'll want to do the same on all the branches, or else you'll end up with a very fat squat plant. Eventually you should end up with a nice full tree. This is the same method christmas tree growers use to keep their trees full and well-shaped, except they're usually just trimming each leader to about 6". Haven't heard of anybody doing this with a norfolk, but you don't lose anything by trying, and most conifers act pretty similar in this growth pattern.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Growth hormone regulators are becoming a very big deal in horticulture. Investigate florel, as it's one that's easy to come by, for cheap. I do think that as long as you didn't completely cut off the current year's leader, you could still work with the tree (surely, in nature, young trees get topped by critters from time to time), but go for whatever you think might work for you!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Scratch the leaves; does it give off a specific scent?

Also, repot in good media and give it some water.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Clematis has trifoliate leaves, so that doesn't work.

Honestly, I think all growth on this plant is due to it stretching for sunlight. It's not happy at all, otherwise it would retain its lower leaves. Can it be placed outside? Has it ever flowered? It looks very familiar to me, but I can't place it off hand.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Most clems have somewhat serrated leaves, and I think they're almost all obligate trifoliates, so that's why it doesn't add up for me, but who knows what stress might do to it. It does certainly have a number of similarities with clematis, but I grow about 30 cultivars of clems, and the leaves on this have a certain leathery texture that doesn't seem quite right. Hard to define.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I think it might work best on things with nice strong woody stems, that way as they rub together and the bark comes off, the cambium is immediately touching, making a strong healing point. I think you had the right idea with the breadties, though - get them nice and tight enough that the tie is going right into that outer bark. There are self-adhesive rubber bands used for grafting that might work really well, too.

I've always wanted to buy a Chamaecyparis topiary and graft a bunch of Thuja plicata 'Whipcord' on the end of each stem, making a sort of Dr. Seuss tree.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Euphobia milii - not a cactus, but a popular succulent with very pretty blossoms. Known as Crown of Thorns.

Same as any succulent - give it a potting medium with lots of inorganics (more than 50%) and lots of sun.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I've seen many Pilea glauca, and never seen one look quite as good as that one.

Another option might be the purple version of wandering jew, which also looks very good in a hanging basket and can be had cheaply.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

J Greedy posted:

Ditto what he said. Wanna meet the cactus.

Only two (well, one, since the other succumbed to scale bugs before I knew what was going on) of my cacti bloom, just once a year.

Nice arrangement. You should get pretty consistent blooms on the optunia, the euphorbia, and the hawarthia (these always bloom in the winter for me). Where are you at? You might be able to plant out your optunia for much better performance.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Dendrobiums and phalaenopsis are both low maintenance, easy to acquire orchids, for container-culture. If you want one that can actually be outside all year, Plant Delights offer some hardy orchids, but they're a pretty niche market, and many like very specific environments.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
They're the orchids you see in most grocery stores/big box stores. Most people put them on a table far away from any natural light and expect them to thrive, then throw them away as soon as they're done blossoming. They'll do well for nearly anybody that puts any effort into growing them.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Good luck, man. It's something I've considered trying, but keeping everything sterile is incredibly difficult. I'll be interested to hear what percentage of yours turn out well. An acquaintance of mine has an exclusive agreement with a large TC lab for the only culturing of lotus in the US. Lotus have a very delicate tuber, which can make them hard to ship, so it's a big step forward in bringing the plant to a larger market.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

upsciLLion posted:

The nubs on the euphorbia don't look quite right to me. I'm changing my guess to huernia pillansii. http://www.welcometocactusland.com/Succulents/Apocynaceae/Huernia/huernia_pillansii_01.htm

e: maybe euphorbia susannae if it slimmed down a bit.

I was pretty certain it was a Euphorbia before somebody mentioned Huernia, and I started second guessing it, but the more I look at it, I think it's an etoliated Euphorbia, which is why the tips are so confusing.

southpaugh posted:

Thanks dude, yeah, I can understand how sterility can be a problem. I'm a microbiologist so I am in the swing of keeping everything as aseptic as possible. The antimycotic really makes it more forgiving though. Whats funny is how uncomfortable I was doing anything without a bunsen burner sitting next to me.
I recall reading an article (I think from MSU) about how somebody could set up a legit TC lab with a few grand using secondhand equipment. This line from Dirr's "Manual of Woody Plant Propogation" always put me off the whole thing, though: "Senior author knows one nurseryman who invested $250,000 establishing a tissue culture laboratory. Along the establishment path, contamination wiped out most of the cultures and very few plants had actually been derived from the laboratory. When queried whether he would do it again, the answer was a rather definite 'I doubt it.'" Good money in it if you can get it right; I'd love to be working for Agristarts right now.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Thought I'd share this here. Thuja plicata is normally a huge lumber tree, but this one was found in a seedbed in 1997, and the person that named it joked that it must have been effected by the comet Hale–Bopp, and named it T. plicata 'Haley Bop.' The largest one is still only a bit bigger than a baseball, 15 years later.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
A friend of mine in Taiwan hybridizes hibiscus and has some really nice cultivars. It's a great genus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Five is plenty to start with. See if you can find out if your varieties are fertile (many breeders try to only release sterile hybrids, to protect their creations), look into how to cross them, and get a few good seed pods. Start some inside in the spring and see if you don't get some flowers before the end of the year. Cull heavily. Most people are so pleased with what they create, they name and distribute mundane creations when they first start. Demand excellence from your hybrids, and you'll get even better stuff as your breeding stock improves. It's easy to start small.