Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Just needs a lot of sun to flower/fruit. Where are you growing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
The best all around, cheapo bulbs are 6500k, which is generally listed as "day light." Don't pay extra for the same thing labeled as a grow light.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Pogo the Clown posted:

It's always hard to tell from just a photo, but I assume that is a White Pine and it looks to me like the normal fall needle drop.

This is correct. You can give them a shake to hasten the transition if it's buggin' you. The needles make an okay mulch, if you can't get wood chips.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Looks like springtails. Harmless, if so.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Is it squishy? If so, rotted and not coming back.

If dry and hard, may be okay. Lots of lithops look very dead when they go dormant.

If it was wet when cold, probably not good news. :(

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Leaves aren't waxy enough for schefflera. :)

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
That plant is rotting from the bottom up due to not having drainage. This is also why the stems are floppy/breaking. Repot in something with drainage and at least 50% inorganic material and give bright sun. Personally, I would pull every leaf and sit them on top of the new soil and let them root themselves.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You can plant them out as soon as they hit their second set of true leaves. Feel free to give any taproots a prune as you do.

ps. Datura poisoning is pretty nasty, so don't let any pets or dumb people in contact with them.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Are you growing them potted? Hard to do long-term, but you can get away with it for a season or two. Remember that they're perennial bushes. Pink/blue macrophylla hydrangeas are pH sensitive, so if you want blue blooms, you should supplement with some aluminum. Easiest potting solution is going to be any bagged potting mix cut in half with perlite, for drainage. A majority of bagged mixes do not include enough inorganics for proper drainage.

If growing in ground, you should just be using your native soil and a top with a thick layer of chunky wood mulch. Trying to control hydrangea color with planted hydrangeas is a losing game, in my experience, but you might be lucky and have soil that's conducive to blue blooms.

Do you know which cultivar you bought/received? Dirr wrote a really great book on hydrangeas if you're interested in more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Turf management is exceptionally complicated and I think it's fair to say that nobody here is going to have a better understanding or advice than Colorado State University Extension's infosheet: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/551.html