Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh boy, a plant thread! Are aquatic plants okay here?

I've not had much luck with most plants in my apartment. Windows are south facing in the southern hemisphere, so light is a bit of a problem. So I was quite happy to find a plant that actually flourishes:

Golden pothos! Yeah yeah, easy mode, but pretty nevertheless. :3: It's grown ridiculously well that I've actually got to prune to keep it managable. They're actually growing out of the filter area in my fishtank. I originally picked them up for their utility value, they do a really good job of enhancing the filtration for the water and are growing like crazy. They really love fish poop. The newest leaves have started growing to the size of my palm now, crazy!

As for what's in the tank:

I really should do something with this mass of peacock moss. It's gone nuts.

Mainly vallisneria, more peacock moss, java ferns and anubiases. Also an algae problem on the anubias leaves, but lets not mention that.

Without any balcony space and the light restrictions, this is pretty much what will grow nicely. I really do like succulents and would like a few growing around, but they hate the lack of light in my place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Marchegiana posted:

Oh man I never even thought of growing pothos in an aquatic setup. My daughter has a temporary tank housing two bullfrog tadpoles she caught a month ago, and the Elodea canadensis we have in the tank isn't quite keeping up with all the tadpole poop. I think I'm just going to stick a cutting from my pothos in there and see what happens. :3:

Its pretty easy. Within a few days of just floating in the tank, they sprouted a ton of roots. The one in the small tank fits pretty snugly now, but the other needs a suction cup mount to stay up. I snipped the end of one to give a cutting to a friend, and in response it's growing three new shoots. I think I can see why it becomes a problem when it gets in the wild. It's doing a super job at cleanup though. Interestingly in the small tank, it's in the filter so it has a huge water flow. That plant is basically double the size of the other one, which just sits directly in the tank itself, even though they started from identically sized cuttings.

unprofessional posted:

I like your aquascape. Has a good amazonian feel to it. Are those plecos or cats? Get some amano shrimp if you want something that'll keep the plants looking good.

Cant get amanos here in Australia due to fauna import restrictions unfortunately. Those are tiny corydoras cats. Goofy little guys. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had a few awhile ago, but gave one away in a move and another died no matter what I did. I did love the bulbosa I had. Nice and octopus-like.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I noticed that my pothos leaves all had drops of water right on the tips in the morning. Closer investigation and some research later: It's guttation. When plants have too much water and cant transpire it at night because the pores close. So... plant pee?

So yeah. Plants pee pretty.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it's forming in regular, identical locations on your plant, it's probably guttation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

unprofessional posted:

Sure that's a pothos? Pothos leaves are usually smooth edged and waxy looking.

No that's not a pothos, its just a general picture of the process. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So during a bit of upkeep for my tank, I decided to see how much peacock moss I had.

Yeah about a 6 inch diameter ball. Stuff grows fast! Going to start selling off smaller golfball sized clumps so I'm not choking in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

That microscopic baby sundew is cute as hell. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zratha posted:

I am finishing up dealing with a fungus gnat situation myself. Putting some of those little yellow fly paper sticks in my pots cleared it up in about 3 days.

gently caress those assholes. I tracked down how the hell they were showing up everywhere. Apparently they got into a bag of potting mix and when I opened the cabinet, a black cloud of them flew out. I hate those assholes!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's variegation which can have a few causes. Just a quick search turns up a few threads that suggest that its a mosaic virus for Dame's Rocket that causes that colouring though. Harmless to mildly detrimental to ornamentals, i.e. they'll be weaker than plants which have their full pigmentation, but nothing seriously harmful in the short term. Bad if you want to keep all types in your garden though, the virus can eventually spread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I asked google 'rose shaped succulent'

http://www.plantegrassefrontignan.fr/plantes%20grasses%20mediterranennes/anglais/HTML/succulents%205.html

http://www.ascotvalegardencentre.com.au/product/aeonium-arboreum/

Looks pretty close?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A swimming pool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you repotted at all during the two years? What sort of conditions is it being kept in? Cacti really like sun, so keeping it in a window would help keep it happy. Minimal watering too.

How's Porkchop doing? :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Beer traps.

http://www.slugoff.co.uk/killing-slugs/beer-trap

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noooooooooo!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got about 6 inches of pothos for my fishtank originally. I think I've got several feet of it now between my tank, my desk at the office, and my bosses's desk since I gave him a few cuttings. Pothos is unkillable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're weeds where I grew up. Jerks with huge thorns!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That fukken pot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hope you have good ventilation or you dont plan to be home for the next few days.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kedo posted:

Cross posting in the plant and critter threads because I'm not sure if this is some sort of plant/fungus or the eggs of some critter.

What the heck are these?

I just noticed that they'd started growing/had been laid in one of my potted plants. They're leathery feeling and inside are a whole bunch of weird black, semi-slimy (or just wet?) seed or egg looking things. They appear to be in no way connected to the roots of the plants around them (strawberry and a kind of climbing flower). Some appear to have burst open on their own accord already, others are still sealed shut.

http://www.backyardnature.net/f/birdnest.htm

Neat! Bird's Nest Fungi!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah I zipped my mouse up to close my browser before I realized it wasnt NWS.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just get a bitter spray that says it's plant safe.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats one hell of a title

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Let us know when the police raid the place looking for the grow op.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

People saying eat the dandelion arent kidding. Despite it's weed status according to a lot of people, it's actually perfectly edible from flower tip to the roots.

It'll get everywhere if you dont control the seed spread though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just follow usual bush transplanting tips. There's plenty of very similar guides out there. I wouldnt count on berries immediately after transplanting though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eat the lime

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My Pothos is slowly taking over the office too. I've given away enough cuttings that there's now plants on 6 other coworkers desks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the best way deal with fire ants? I live in Atlanta and they're basically overtaking our lawn. I got this a couple months ago and treated the big mounds http://www.homedepot.com/p/AMDRO-24-oz-Ant-Block-Home-Perimeter-Ant-Bait-100522802/100598633 but it seems like there are now more mounds than ever.

Flood the place and make them someone else's problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZysgGAABw

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Anyone else here raise carnivorous plants?

Yeah Kenning does: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=145867

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you plant can handle it, just immerse the pot in a bucket / plug the drainage and flood the pot for an hour. drown all those gnats.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pickled bamboo shoots are absolutely amazing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dandelion is quite edible, at least if your garden isnt facing a busy road. Learn to eat dandelion and just pull them up for free greens?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its got those cute seed heads, look! PUFFFFFFF

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Normally I'd scoff when anyone tries to get me concerned about bee exploitation, but that...

...those poor bees!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stick a rod in there, tie it up gradually? Put it in a corner and aim it there?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

Sedum suaveolens (this one is the most surprising to me since I didn't know that sedums could look almost exactly like an echeveria)

Hahahah this lil guy looks like it's just throwing its arms out going yay

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

from elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some kind of poop? eggs? Do they come off or are they part of the leaf?