Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur
Hello!

I was hoping somebody could help me identify what these brown spots are on the petals of my hydrangea plant. I got it about a week ago and it has lived indoors next to glass sliding doors ever since as I liked it being a feature on my coffee table and it's hot as balls outside (I do realise it needs light and intend to leave it on my balcony frequently). A few days after I got it, the plant had wilted as I had not kept up with watering it. I have since kept it in a saucer of water that I fill up as needed and it has always been well-hydrated. Some of the leaves have dried up but I attributed that to the initial lack of watering/poor conditions prior to me buying it/heat. They don't have brown spots like the petals do. I thought the spots might be a symptom of that but they have since become more numerous. I have had the plant on my covered balcony in filtered sunlight now that we have had some cloudy days (so I don't shock it), but it has still been about 30°C most days. The spots seem to start off soft and become somewhat dry.

Please help as I love my plant :(

Edit: I just realised how crappy the leaves/rest of the plant look so have some more pics (I intend to repot it in a bigger pot this weekend). The new growth looks great though.

Eden fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur

unprofessional posted:

I suspect root rot. Your plant is severely underpotted and when you pull it out, it'll probably have circling roots. Good news is hydrangeas are known to do okay in pots (though they really prefer to be planted). Repot into a very well-draining mix (cut a normal potting mix in half with perlite), and make sure you get every little bit of soil that's in the root system right now off. Do corrective surgery on the roots to free circling roots and remove any rot. Don't be afraid to hack away at them. I would cut the flowers off to allow the shrub all the energy possible to put into new root growth. From reading, it sounds like you can go right to a 15 or 25 gallon container.

Are you southern hemisphere? If not, somebody forced the plant to bloom way out of season, as macrophyllas generally bloom early summer.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes I am in the southern hemisphere (Australia) so it's hydrangea season here. I haven't had time to repot it yet and now it looks like the pictures below - it has green colouring growing out from the centre of the petals. Does this change your diagnosis? I will definitely be repotting it this weekend.

I would love to be able to plant it but we live in the top half of a house and don't have our own garden so I'm restricted to balcony planting and am trying my best with my hydrangeas as they're one of my favourite plants. Being in Australia, especially a subtropical area (Brisbane) where temperatures lately have been about 30 degrees Celcius, the plant is going through a saucer of water a day. Given that you think it has root rot, do you think this is a bad idea? Should I remove the saucer of water from under it? Or is having better-draining soil and a much larger pot going to be the solution to my problems?