Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

gender illusionist posted:

They really blew me away. The buds were just sitting there for months doing nothing, I was expecting them to drop off, then *BOOM* huge (about a foot) phallic stalk growing over a week or two then *POP* flower for a couple of days at most; in the end I think it produced four or 5. I have no idea why it decided to put on this display either; we had a very lovely summer.

Some plants don't flower unless they're stressed out, so lovely conditions could be a trigger for that plant. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I managed to kill two phals last year. :sigh: I'm not too broken up about it because they were heavily marked down, since the flowers were starting to fade, but still. I think it just got too warm in my hellish apartment, and one of them got sunburned because I left it by the window too long. I might buy some more now that I live in a much nicer place, but I'm never going to find them for $3 each again..

Meanwhile, a friend of mine has a pair of orchids in his kitchen that were given to him. He doesn't pay any attention to them, and they rarely get watered. I was over there last night and the leaves were shriveled, and some were turning bright yellow. I watered the poor things and noticed that one of them is developing a new flower spike. :doh:

So somehow I kill my phals that I loved and cared for, and this guy who doesn't give a gently caress is getting new flowers. So unfair.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Well, I watered them and they seemed to perk up a little bit, but it's hard to tell whether or not they'll make it. Next time I go over there I'll check up on them. Or I might just steal his plants.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Holden Rodeo posted:

Shrubs:
I'd love to know what this one is, it looks all funky and prehistoric. It spreads by shooting up these spikes on vines. Echium seemed to be close but I couldn't find images of anything that looked exactly like this...?

Holden Rodeo posted:

Yep, southern Australia. Temperate climate, similar to Northern California maybe.

Thank you, unprofessional! Much appreciated. The euphorbia already needs serious pruning, but yeah, it is an awesome plant.

Funny you should mention that, because I thought a lot of your plants looked like things on my college campus.. in Northern California. In fact, your green guy looks a lot like this green guy I photographed a few years ago, in spring.

I think this is Euphorbia characias, but I'm not an expert. It's a fairly hardy plant and resists drought pretty well, so you see it around here a lot because we have really dry summers. People actually worry when it rains during summer here, because that just isn't a thing that's supposed to happen, and it's been happening more frequently over the last few years.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Thanks for adding that seed list! I was just thinking it would be nice to find a seed swap or something of the sort. I have lots of bare, ugly dirt and weedy patches in my yard that need covering up, but I don't want to spend a ton on landscaping because I'm renting. I'm always interested in herbs too, because I like cooking. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot to offer in return. I have a few commercially packed vegetable seed envelopes, some of them still sealed, but most of them are a year or two old. I also have a metric assload of marigold seeds from my two plants, and I'm about to have an assload of red nasturtium seeds. Right now I only have about half an assload of those. :shobon:

If anyone is local to the San Jose/Santa Clara region of California, I also have tons of jade plant and a couple other succulents that I can give you clippings from, but you have to come get them yourself.

One of the things I've been planning for a while is landscaping with native grasses, which tend to be drought resistant. Our water bill has been ridiculous lately because we have lawns in the front and back yards, and it does not rain during summer here. There are some really pretty grasses at Larner Seeds, but I'm not sure if everyone else will think they're as pretty as I do. I'd hate to plant a bunch of grasses only to have everyone think they're weeds.. In fact I'm pretty sure several of these things are considered weeds by gardeners. Maybe fescue would look less weedy than some of those. Right now I have a bit of blue fescue growing in a pot and I really like it, but it just sprouted a couple weeks ago so I have no idea how it'll look once it fills in the pot.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Eeyo posted:

Personally I like the look of wilder lawns, but then again I'm not a homeowner so it might just be my enviro-hippy mindset showing. I think it's reason enough to plant a more diverse and local variety of plants so you can be more water conscious. Where I live there are a couple of houses that don't have traditional lawns, they just let non-grass plants grow wild on their property (although they probably planted and took care of them). I bet their neighbors hate it and it might have implications to your property value or something like that. For context, I live in a fairly liberal area so it might not be advisable to do anything drastic in an area where they are more attached to lawns. And there might be some laws against it or your homeowner's association may not allow it. Unfortunately I can't help you with grass choice I just want to wish you luck!

Thanks! I really like diverse landscapes too. Uniform plantings of things are boring and awful, and if one plant gets diseased, they're all hosed. Having more diversity means I get bees and butterflies to visit, which also helps with my vegetable gardens. :buddy:

I don't think we have a HOA here, or at least the landlord didn't mention it. If we do, it's the most lax thing ever because there are some ugly yards and houses around here. It's not a bad neighborhood or anything; some people just don't give a drat about having a perfectly manicured lawn or fitting in with everyone. There's a house down the street painted bright yellow, with green and red trim (I think it's a daycare center), and another house with a huge mural of Smurfs at a nightclub painted on the garage. I guess we're pretty liberal here too.

Actually, having flowers or gravel instead of grass is pretty common around here. The house I lived in when I was a teenager had a small hill with flowers and trees out front that my mom cultivated. I drove by the other day and the current owners had ripped everything out and replaced it with a flat, uniformly green lawn, and I thought it was the ugliest thing. Makes the house and the yard look much smaller, too. That yard used to have cherry plums, apples, crabapples, cherries, grapes, and pomegranates growing there, between a good mix of annual and perennial flowers, and a nice privacy fence we had built. :smith:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
A little over a year ago I bought a tiny cactus at the drug store for something like $1. It had a pretty pink flower on top and everything. About five minutes later I realized that the flower was glued on. :doh:

I gently pried it off and named him Sir Tinycactus. He's one of the few plants that survived the hellish summer heat in my old apartment. Now he spends most of his time in my kitchen window, being chill.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've had good luck with cacti, succulents, pothos, and dracaena indoors as well. I actually just bought a small lucky bamboo for my kitchen window, which is really a type of dracaena! I used to have some from a little shop in Chinatown that lived for a long, long time, but they got put outside when the house was being tented prior to sale and got horribly sunburned. So don't do that, I guess. Other than that, they just need some water, a little light, and you can neglect the hell out of them.

My kitchen window faces vaguely north-ish so it doesn't get the best light, but I currently have small cacti, lithops, a phalaenopsis orchid, basil, and a miniature rose growing there. Aside from the rose (which probably wasn't the healthiest when I got it) everything seems to be doing fine. I also have a window box with herbs I'm starting from seed up there, but we'll see how well that goes. So far the cilantro really really wants to grow, but everything else is taking its time.

If I had hooks in the ceiling I'd probably hang a small pothos or spider plant up there too. Maybe some airplants or moss terrariums. Really, I just want more plants everywhere. I've even started logging my plantings on MyFolia because I need something to do when I'm not actually tending to them.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Those pots are awesome. :aaa:

Anyone have advice on lithops? I bought a small pot of them a couple months ago, and they seem to just shrivel and liquefy from the inside out after a bit. I have no idea if I'm watering too much or two little, or if they're sick or what. :sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Pardalis posted:

Plant Trading! EagerSleeper sent me some starts and seeds a few months ago and it was super fun! If you are interested in trading seeds or cuttings with me, PM me or post it here! I have a looooot of stuff for the garden, as ornamentals, and for planting terrariums. It would be fun to trade with some goons and make our green thumbs greener.

I don't know if I have anything interesting to you (or anyone else) but I generally keep track of my plants and seeds on MyFolia. If you're spergin' enough to track all your plants too, here's my page/invite link: http://www.myfolia.com/gardener/Mizufusion/invite

Not everything on my list is up-to-date or has photos, and I'm not a master gardener or anything, but I try.

I also just noticed in my last post I spelled "too" two different ways. :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Thanks for all the lithops advice! I didn't think I was watering them too much, just a couple drops every few days at most. Maybe they need better-draining soil, then. I just left them in whatever media they came with when I bought it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I got excited too because it was the right Bay Area, but I was also too late. Oh well.

I cheered myself up today with discount orchids! I bought two phals with small reddish-purple flowers. Each plant has two flower spikes that have smaller branches forming. I got them for $6.50 each at the grocery store because they were past the sell-by date. Still look great, though. Only one or two flowers are starting to wilt. :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
So I guess lithops are just not for me. :sigh: I really tried; I haven't watered them at all since I asked about them here, but the still got squishy and died. Maybe there was too much moisture in the air, or maybe there wasn't enough light. Who knows.

To cheer myself up I bought a bunch of rhizomes today. Costco was selling bags that ranged from 8 to 20 plants, depending on species, for about $18. I have 16 daylilies, 12 lily of the valley, a couple bleeding hearts, and some astilbe. Also bought some fruit trees, and a couple weeks ago I bought iris bulbs. They came in a pack of 80 for $12, so if anyone near Santa Clara, CA wants to trade for iris bulbs, hit me up. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this many; it just seemed like a really good deal at the time. I'm not sure where I'm going to plant all these rhizomes either, but this sort of happens when you shop at warehouse stores. :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

unprofessional posted:

Mass plantings look good for all of those. Lily of the valley spread like crazy in shady spots - be prepared.

Well, I have a lot of bare dirt in shady areas so I guess I'm alright with that. I also put some of the shade-loving plants in a big planter today so I can take them with me if/when I move. I want to do the same with some of the daylilies, but I just bought a bunch of other stuff so it'll have to wait.

I also must confess that I bought daylilies not only because they're pretty, but many species are edible. If I can confirm that I have an edible type you bet I'm going to chow down on some flowers. Battered and fried they taste similar to squash blossoms. :3:

Just don't confuse them with asiatic lilies. Those tend to be quite toxic.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 25, 2014

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I managed to kill all my lithops, too. I wasn't watering much, but apparently "at all" was still too much for that little plant. :sigh:

Kenning posted:

Note that the whole "no water at all" thing only applies in climates where it rains sometimes during the summer. If you did that here in California your succulents would definitely shrivel up after receiving no water whatsoever for months and months in the full heat of summer.

I have a few succulents outside in the California heat that do alright with little or no water, but they're well-established, large plants; mostly jade plants. I think they're Crassula ovata and Portulacaria afra. Some of the crassula still get a little shriveled and red, but they bounce back every fall and turn green again and start flowering. Aloe doesn't seem to like where it is, though.

I also managed to rescue several succulents that my neighbor was going to throw out several weeks ago. Some of them need quite a bit of rehab and might not make it, but at least the pots were nice. :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Kenning posted:

Are these in the ground? In-ground plants can survive a dry summer (with maybe the odd watering if it's been a punishing drought like we're having) because there's usually at least some moisture once you get down a foot or so, but pots, especially terra cotta, get absolutely dessicated. You lose roots, which slows growth to a crawl and makes the plants susceptible to rot once they get water again (unless you're very careful).

Most of the crassulas are in various pots that are far too small, but my landlord put them where they are and I don't want to gently caress with them too much. All but one or two are partially under the eaves of the house, so they don't get soaked too badly when it rains. Last winter the tops got a bit frostbitten, though.

The Portulacaria is in-ground and pretty well established. I have to hack it back every now and then because it's as tall as I am, and tries to take over the front doorway sometimes. Not sure what the aloe is planted in, but it's way too small and they never get water because the leaves block all the water from getting in the pots and it's in full sun. Poor thing is always red and shriveled, even in the middle of rainy season. I've tried to help it, but it seems a little pointless. :sigh:

One of my current garden project is actually to repot most of my succulents and make a nice garden display for them. I'm clearing out an unused portion of the yard for it that gets mostly full sun. There's also an empty fountain there that I've been using as a plant display for my cacti. :downs:

unprofessional posted:

I have a theory that many people aren't killing their lithops (though I'm sure many are), but aren't aware that they look dead as poo poo when they're dormant, before new leaves emerge.

Mine melted. Pretty sure that makes for very dead plants.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

stubblyhead posted:

Any ideas what either of these things might be?

Looks like a calla lily gone to seed.

Holden Rodeo posted:

It looks like it could be Chinese wisteria:
http://www.invasive.org/weedcd/species/3083.htm
http://www.eddmaps.org/AT/distribution/point.cfm?id=2062483

I'd hit it with roundup first - that's gonna be a lot of digging. (It could be worse, it could be English ivy!)

That's what I thought first, too. There's a wisteria in my front yard that a previous owner put in. It creeps all over because there's no trellis for it to climb, and getting one the right size is pretty expensive. I actually like it and want to keep it, but keeping it in check is pretty tough. The first year I lived here I hacked down all the vines down to a stump, and it came back bigger the next year. :sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I leave my orchids in a north-facing window and water them once a week or so, and they seem content with it. Too much direct sunlight can burn the leaves and I've lost a couple of phalaenopsis that way before.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Looks like strawflower to me. Are the petals stiff and sort of plastic-y?

My mom used to grow these in her wildflower garden and dry them for floral arrangements. They tend to keep their shape and color very nicely. :3:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm no expert, but it looks like a fungal infection.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
For low-light environments I like phalaenopsis orchids and lucky bamboo (actually a species of dracaena, not at all related to real bamboo). I have both in my apartment, which has one north-facing window and pretty much zero natural light and they do alright. The orchids get watered once a week or so, and the dracaena just lives in a vase of water and both seem pretty happy with their situation.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DevCore posted:

I've got all my plants next to a North/East window (there are no other window directions) that gets a lot of light throughout the day.

I did notice one of my favorite plants started to droop and water didn't fix it, so I moved it away from the window and now it's doing great.

I would like to figure out what the best environment in my apartment for succulents but I feel like I've gotta go through a few more before I narrow it down.

Ah, the challenge of apartment lighting. I have one window that faces north, and two eastern-facing windows, but those two are completely obscured by a wall less than five feet away.. :cripes:

So far, I've found that orchids and lucky bamboo (dracaena) do well for me. Surprisingly the tiny cactus my husband bought at a hardware store is doing fine too, and it's just sitting on a shelf where the most attention it gets is being moved once in a while so I can get to the things behind it. Right now I'm experimenting with potted herbs (mint, thyme, marjoram, I think..) and mini roses because they all looked so pretty at the grocery store and I couldn't resist. Right now my biggest issue with the herbs is they seem to want a ton of water, and I'm used to watering things maybe once a week, if I remember.. :shobon:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Bulby buddies! These things are so adorable it's killing me.

Although, I might put a different plant in the one on the right. This one is kind of leggy and weird, and that ruffly succulent in the bottom left of the photo looks like it would be a much better choice for this pot.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

learnincurve posted:

Ethics in gardening is a new one to me.

It sounds pretty weird, but it sort of makes sense to me. Maybe I'm just excessively Californian. :ca:

If I was buying something rare or unusual I'd probably be concerned about where it came from, and whether or not it was ethically sourced. Just like animals, plants may be harvested from the wild or raised in a nursery. Harvesting plants from the wild can severely impact the ecosystem if it's done improperly. There's actually a big issue with poachers cutting burls off of old redwood trees in California and Oregon because the wood is valuable for furniture building, but you also sometimes see the burls for sale as living plants. The burls can produce new shoots, which can grow into whole new trees, so it's pretty common to see redwoods growing in a ring where several trees sprouted up from the roots of one dead/dying tree. Removing the burls not only damages the tree, but hinders its ability to reproduce. Some people will even fell the entire tree to get at the burls higher up the trunk.

Dawn redwoods are also threatened in their natural habitat in China, due to the demand for the trees. They're a protected species, but so many seeds and seedlings are harvested that hardly any new trees are being naturally propagated. When the old trees die out, that could be it. Sure, they'll still be around in parks and conservatories, but it's a little sad to think they could be wiped out of their natural habitat.

..I kinda like redwoods if you couldn't tell. :shobon:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
The house I was renting a few years back had a ton of old jade plants all over. Most of them were either in the ground or too big to move, so they stayed outside year-round. Of course, this is in California, zone 10a/9b so winters are pretty mild. We had some frost in February one year that damaged some plants, but they all bounced back pretty quickly. Wish I could have said the same of the tomatoes and lettuce I still had in the ground. The jades did flower every year, though, and they were quite pretty. :3:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

ExtraNoise posted:

Hello thread! I only just now discovered you. I am curious if this would be an alright place to post about some palm trees (washingtonia robusta) I am growing? Most posts are about succulents and all, so let me know if I should go pound dirt or if there's a tree thread I'm totally overlooking.

There's a lot of posts about succulents (and carnivorous plants!) because they're popular, but it's not like the thread is that exclusive. If you want a dedicated tree thread, there is a bonsai thread, but I assume you're looking for full-size trees. I say just go ahead and post whatever plants you want here. Unless they're edible, in which case you may gently caress off to the gardening thread. There's also a hydroponics thread, if you're a fan of growing closet tomatoes. ;)

I looked up pictures of that tree and it looks like california.jpg. Goonspeed on getting them to grow, but drat I hate those things. :ca:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

cakesmith handyman posted:

Protip, let your kids have a hand in choosing what to plant/grow and you'll be amazed at what they end up eating. Also weird coloured versions of normal things are automatically awesome.

Alternately, you end up planting radishes every year even though you don't really care for them, you just buy whatever seeds they have at the drugstore with your allowance. :downs:

It was nice though, because we had a big backyard and I had a plot where I could just plant whatever and my parents didn't care. I had flowers in one area, fruits and veggies in another. Cucumbers and carrots were my favorite, one year we got a couple tiny pumpkins for Halloween, and I discovered just how much zucchini one vine produces at an early age.. now my plantings are restricted to tiny pots in my apartment and whatever grows in the fish tank. I want to put hooks in the ceiling for hanging plants, but I don't know if my landlord would appreciate that.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I was just talking about how I wanted an aquarium with water plants in it yesterday :eyepop:

I have a couple in my fishtank, but my goldfish sorta chewed them up.. they're still cute though, and seem to do fine with a basic aquarium light setup. I suspect literally any other kind of fish would be a better pairing though, as goldfish have pretty voracious appetites. I got my marimo at Petco; they usually have them in plastic cups just like the betta fish. They also tend to have a decent selection of plants that are either fully or partially submersible. I forget the brand, I think it was TopFin, but they're sold in plastic tubes or bags, and the packaging will tell you whether or not they can be planted fully underwater. Don't buy whatever miscellaneous loose plants they have in the tanks, because they usually keep snails in the same tanks and you could be bringing home an infestation.

It was pretty hard to get a non-blurry photo, but here are my java ferns. I just wedged them into the crevices of some mopani driftwood and let them do their thing. I mix a little bit of liquid fertilizer into the new water when I do my weekly water cycles and that's about it. There's two main plants here, and some little plantlets here and there that broke off and rooted themselves wherever. Both plants have about doubled in size since I bought them, around a year ago, and they're firmly rooted on the driftwood now.

gently caress the amazon sword plants, though. drat things always look a bit sickly no matter what I do for them.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Depends on how much space you have, and what the climate is like. My first thought was some kind of greenhouse tent like this one to prevent your herb plants from dying over the winter, but honestly I've never used one so I don't know how effective they are. I do know that when I was a kid my mom would rig up something similar with plastic sheeting from Home Depot to protect her plants, but we were in a part of California where it doesn't often gets to freezing temps anyway.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah honestly I'd be stoked to find free onions in my yard. The flowers are kinda pretty too.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

2: And these things that look like baby kiwis, but I'm like 90% sure kiwi trees don't look like that. Kiwi leaves are round, yes?

Almond, maybe? They look kinda green and fuzzy like that, and the leaves are similar.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Okay, so they're all rescues. Too bad I don't have any before pictures of this Phlebodium. It's bounced back extremely well and keeps getting bigger and better.

Oh my god, you just helped me ID a plant I've had for ages. I bought it at a grocery store and the tag just said "foliage" and had general light requirements. It's been doing really poorly because I'm a terrible plant mom and I've long suspected it was just too dry, but no amount of water seems to help. Maybe if I get it out of that potting soil and into some proper media that might help.. :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Phlebodium are epiphytes and luckily don't care too much about space, the roots can happily spill over and the plant will be OK.

Bees on Wheat, I recommend placing it somewhere bright but always indirect in terms of sunlight. All my plants are in a bright north facing window and it seems to like that a lot.

I actually do have it hanging by a north-facing window, which is unfortunately the only decent light I get here. I have an east-facing window, but there's a wall maybe five feet from it, so it's kind of pointless. It definitely grows toward the light, but doesn't seem desperate for it.

I was planning to pot it in some wood chips or orchid mix since it's currently in generic potting soil that doesn't seem to hold on to a drop of moisture, and my biggest problem is that its leaves keep drying up and dying. I tried putting a watering globe in it, and while cute, it doesn't actually dispense water at a reasonable rate at all.

As for plant identification, I've been using an app called Seek that's basically a pokedex for real life. Unfortunately, real life has a lot more than 800 species so it's not always super accurate. You might only get a genus or family name, or even "hey this is a plant I guess" which is what I got trying to ID that drat phlebodium.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 18, 2019

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

bring back old gbs posted:

whoa those look great, the middle pic looks like those leaf lizards

this is the progress on my long boi

Congrats! Two of my bulbies flowered last summer and I somehow never took pictures. :sigh:

Best I got were these two shots, and they don't even show the flower stalk on the middle guy:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FizFashizzle posted:

BABY PLANTS! Growing some more gourds, trying to repopulate my cilantro, and my god green onions just don't loving grow gently caress them.

In my experience, they're the easiest thing to grow. Hell, you can just save a bit of the root end from store-bought green onions and pot them up, no problem. Used to let those little shits run wild in my garden, until I had to move. Best part is they freeze pretty well and don't take up much space, so you don't really have to worry about having an excess supply.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I use an app called Seek that's sometimes spot on and sometimes thinks my keyboard is a bat.

Like I'm not even kidding, this is a thing that happened.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I just spent a shameful amount on bulbs. Spring better be loving magical.

I hope so! Last time I spent a ton of money on bulbs we got hit with a fuckmothering drought, so they didn't get watered nearly enough and most of them never bloomed. Now the drought's over but I have no yard so I'm severely limited in the amount of plants I can have. :argh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I am trying to resist spending a shameful amount on bulbs right now. I don't even have anywhere to plant them, but god drat I want some red spider lilies. I can't imagine they would do well inside, and I don't have anywhere to plant them outside. My stupid apartment doesn't even have a patio.. :sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

LOL you stopped by Costco, didn't you?

Haha, no, if I had there wouldn't be any question, I would have just bought bulbs already. Last time I went to Costco was maybe five years ago when I had a roommate with a membership I could mooch off of, and yes I bought too many bulbs and no most of them didn't grow because this is California and we don't have water here.

Trying to find some fake flowers to see if I can sort of satisfy this itch and goddamn it is hard to find a decent-looking lycoris anywhere.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t know that spider lillies would make a good potted plant. They really don’t like being moved in my experience and seem to take 2-3 years to get used to their new home before they bloom again.

Well drat. I was mostly concerned about lighting, but this is something to consider as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Have you tried investing in frog-tech? :getin:

Seriously though, maybe try contacting the city/county? They can probably give you good advice and possibly also get on your neighbors' collective asses to clean up since this sounds like an environmental health issue.

Where I live, the county actually delivers buckets of mosquito-eating fish free of charge if you have standing water on your property. No idea how much it helps but the fishies were cute. :3: