Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've pulled up a bunch of turf putting down a patio, I've got 3 bulk bags and the soil that came up with the turf is fairly nice, I don't want to pay to dispose it so I was hoping to use it for a raised bed next year. What can I do to it to kill off the turf leaving me useful soil next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yup, and yes I suppose I am composting it. It's already piled upside down so I'll keep it moist and in the dark, thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My wife has been talking and researching these a lot lately, consensus seems to be just plant it out and let it stabilise. Slow work though, might be a couple of years before you get more than a couple of leaves.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've a little succulent on my desk at work, recently they moved us all now I've little to no natural light and it started to grow really tall with pale green much smaller leaves, I surmise it's seeking better light, would one of these led grow lights make it happier or are they junk?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XDBJ4H2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WGSgzbPNACCPJ

I was going to put it on a timer so it's on at night, I can't imagine it'd be nice to work with that purple light in my eyeline all day.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rake before you mow or get down on hands and knees and start pulling it up.

E: retracted because others know better

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 21, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Commiserations. Kill all the little bastards.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's also covering it in black plastic, but unlike cardboard you have to take it up when you're done.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

cheese posted:

:hfive: Me too! I got a liquid calcium supplement last week and it seems to have stabilized them as new tomatoes look clean.

I've been looking for a quality balcony solution for our new apartments patio. It has a 1.5" rectangular metal railing and I can't find anything at Home Depot/Lowes or local gardening store that is designed for metal railings. Ideally I would like to fill the whole 8 foot patio and be able to put legit heavy planter boxes/pots across the entire thing. Since I want to put it on the outside of the railing, its really important that it is sturdy and overbuilt since a pot falling onto the walkway below would be really bad. Not adverse to spending a couple of hundred bucks to get something versatile and well made.

Not sure what you mean by "legit heavy"exactly but searching Amazon for "balcony planter" gives loads of trough/basket results, some of which say in the details that they'll fit 1 3/4" rails

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

How the hell do you kill lavender? :psyduck:

I should send you some of my strawberries, I had to butcher 50% of them and they still send out runners like crazy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Reformed Tomboy posted:

The one in the back right kinda hiding out is very easy to transplant. I've cut off branches on mine and they've done just fine. I put them straight into a new pot and made sure they had extra water for a week or two.

Edit: Assuming it's the same as the big one in back of this image.

Question! Does anyone know what the heck this thing is? I've found them, of various sizes, on my plumeria all season. This one was about half an inch long. I remove and/or kill them, but what are they? It hardly matters now because this one was on the plumeria's last leaf, but still.

Plumeria's trying real hard to get this last bloom open before hibernation. I'm not sure it will.

Bonus:

I'm sure that's a ladybird aphid, don't kill them?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Make a decent paper or SketchUp plan I agree. Count on replacing that shed as it's had it obviously, then think about paths to your summer house and back gate, you don't want to be sludging through the dog tracks for those. The back of your neighbors garage looks like a great place to start growing some big gently caress off Clematis up. Do you plan to have a fruit/veg plot anywhere? If you do I'd raise existing beds to keep the dog out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Judas Horse posted:

Never really got into scrapbooking (as much as I like making bullet point journals). I like the greeting card idea a lot though, thank you!

My grandma used to press flowers, she'd do 3 things with them, 1 was make books of the local wildflowers with multiple pressings, notes, descriptions and stories then occasionally sell them. 2 was make these awesome multilayer frames with layers of different pressings in front of a tiny watercolour (courtesy of my grandad) so it was like one of those old Disney animations with the 3d effect. Third was to amass a giant collection and occasionally sell half of it. I don't think she needed the money she just likes collecting better than keeping. :3:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Clay in general is a pain to amend. It's too drat sticky to itself. Its hard to bust it up small enough to get it to mix finely.

I tried sieving some of our soil when the moisture content was appropriate, I gave up after about 2cuft, as soon as you touched the resulting clay granules they glommed back together into protopottery. I'll just plant potatoes and manure.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ashex posted:

Not sure what gash means in this context

Terrible.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I need some plant id help please:

Large flowering bush, trailing stems coming over the fence, flower clusters are about 1-1.5" across. We're in the UK.
E: already asked the neighbor, he's no idea.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Garden fence question, we have a border the dog loves to trample through, my wife is constantly fighting an arm's race of protecting key points and certain plants but we've had enough and we're going to fence the whole border off, I'm sure this will result in the dog destroying something else but hey.

Anyway, I'm going to use 50*100 mesh and 40mm angle posts. This will be adequate to keep the dog out while blending into the foliage enough, but we want to be able to fold sections of the mesh down to access it for actual gardening. Any suggestions on how to attach the mesh to the fence so that it's secure but it won't be too much of a hassle to disconnect?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheDK posted:

Not sure what this is but it sure does look great climbing up our pergola!

Definitely a Clematis, there are a billion different ones but I can tell you we've got at least one that looks just like yours, it's called sunset.

Speaking of which I want to get my wife another Montana Clematis, she wants a white one. Any recommendations?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've never succeeded in harvesting a leek, as you say the flowers are pretty though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Garden fence question, I'm going to use 50*100 mesh and 40mm angle posts. This will be adequate to keep the dog out while blending into the foliage enough, but we want to be able to fold sections of the mesh down to access it for actual gardening. Any suggestions on how to attach the mesh to the fence so that it's secure but it won't be too much of a hassle to disconnect?

If anyone's interested, I bolted eyelets to the posts and left legs protruding from the end of each mesh panel to hook into the eyelets.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hubis posted:

I would legitimately love some "French Breakfast" radishes. My wife was making a recipe that called for them specifically (thanks, Ottolenghi :rolleyes: ) and we were both like " :stare: right, radishes it is". It'd be neat to have the real thing. Also, I am pretty sure purple carrots would blow my toddler's mind.

Protip, let your kids have a hand in choosing what to plant/grow and you'll be amazed at what they end up eating. Also weird coloured versions of normal things are automatically awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I am aware of the dullness of the above photo because they are all young or not in bloom but for the purple one so here’s a couple of my pretty ones, third one in the set that is red with pink stripes isn’t in bloom yet.

Those are stunning, but you can't eat them so I'll leave that sort of gardening to my wife :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So where I sit in our office gets too little natural light to keep succulents alive, will those survive? Because if so I'm on it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Someone back in the thread had a banana plant or cheese plant or whatever that was just massive, that grew up and along rather than down. Anyone know what I'm babbling about?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's it thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's always the NASA clean air plants study, great to use as an excuse to buy another plant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Clean_Air_Study

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah but it's still a great excuse to buy more plants

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nosre posted:

Anyone have thoughts on planting stuff in unlined brass (or bronze, maybe) containers? They're some cheap ones I got in a yard sale, so I'm not concerned about the metal itself, but plant health.

Only thing I can find is potential to burn roots from heat/conductivity, which would not be a problem inside.

I don't know if it'll cause any harm but you could line the inside of the pot with some spray sealer or something similar?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I saw patio fruit trees mentioned a while back, any fertiliser recommendations? I'm in the UK and I want to give my tiny little gala apples a decent chance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What are gourds used for if not edible? Just ornamental?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's a good time to plant garlic in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

In general, when rooting cuttings, you want to cut them down to a single leaf or even a part of a leaf.

Otherwise they’ll dry out before growing enough roots to support the leaves.

You won’t be able to stick the top half of the stalk in dirt or water and keep it.

So, semi-serious post, could you take the top half off that plant as a couple dozen cuttings?