Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yeah, don't like blast it with light after defoliating, you just don't want to light-starve it when stimulating the growth of new replacement foliage

when I say "grow light" I mean like a bulb not a vivosun

My portulacarias dropped all their leaves and I've been keeping them in a windowsill while they've been budding all over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

I keep a similar succulent

And while it doesn't frost, my care routine in emergencies is to cut leaves that won't come back and a gentle light (corner of the garden, out of the sun) until it recovers

My little succ bonsai

looks great, I remember when you were scared about its health but it looks like it's really bounced back well. Bringing plants outside vs keeping them indoors is such a massive difference, makes me wish I had a deck or more easily accessible yard with this current apartment.

My mom has a monstera deliciosa at home that's loving colossal because she dragged it out to the back deck and kept it there until november. loving thing started out in an 8" and it's like man sized now.

makes me think she'll appreciate a "condo" mango tree one day

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 4, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apropos of monstera, my adansonii is getting a ton of yellowed leaves, particularly at the pot/base of the vines. A bunch of those were actually strangled/broken by vine growth and I've since trellised up some of the heavier vines and pruned out the broken or smashed leaves. But in terms of over/under watering I still seem to be loving the plant up somehow. I started watering weekly then moved to 10 days/biweekly (but that seemed too little and it would wilt in between waterings) so I switched to trying to only water when the plant tells me its thirsty with leaf droop/wilting.

It doesn't look like it's light based or related to rootbinding but that's where I'm headed next, aside from continuing to try to fine tune the watering. I'm scared and frustrated because it spent its first few months looking excellent and putting on mass and now I'm afraid it's going to wind up all threadbare and scraggly or worse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

You might want to get a flashlight and check for spider mites.

None that I can see. Maybe root binding?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the fart question posted:

All the leaves were basically mush so I defoliated

Good job. You should try saving and drying out the cuttings if you haven’t trashed them yet. Maybe you’ll get some of them surviving and taking root

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

Best of luck my dude

I've lived tropics all my life and dealing with frost is weird and scary to me

I hope your crassula come back,I really do, it's a wonderful specimen

Should be fine, plant looks wicked healthy sans leaves

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

It's a Sugar Maple. We don't has access to the property yet, however we will in January. I guess I could just put them in a jar in the fridge until then?

That sounds fun. Mind you, maple seedlings are gonna look like poo poo for the first couple of years. So while you’re at it you should find yourself a nice more mature maple sapling and join us in the bonsai thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The E. trigona rubra I got for my mom’s Christmas/birthday gift arrived yesterday and I’m struggling really hard not to amputate a branch for myself. What a stunningly gorgeous plant.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
looks like some kind of Crassula varietal

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
In case y’all didn’t know I have a bit of a Euphorbia/Croton/Euphorbicae collecting thing going—and, naturally, the season has me noticing all these neat poinsettia varietals

On a scale of 1-10 how stupid/ill-advised am I to try to rescue a bunch of poinsettias from post-holiday liquidation? How stupid am I to try to get them to thrive and reflower? (As I understand it you keep them like a standard croton until the fall and then you have to carefully control their light environment or you don’t get the color change and flowering).

Seems like it’s more of a “poinsettias are cheap, disposable, closely associated with the holidays, and getting them to look good after a year is exponentially more trouble than that’s worth/probably requires at least a grow tent or lit closet” issue and less of an outright “poinsettias are impossible and will die on you” issue.

I feel like a big issue for me is size— croton experience (and plant experience in general) tells me that a much bigger plant is going to be a lot hardier and stand a much better chance of looking great next year, but a few 6” or 4” poinsettias at $2 a pop is a much easier pill to swallow than having a bunch of clearance 8” or 10” poinsettias kicking around all year. Will I come to hate them in the summer?

I feel like one of those people who tries to adopt unwanted goldfish and I’m gonna end up with some hideous plant carp.

Like nobody’s gonna think “oh cool tropical plant” they’re gonna be like “why do you have these Christmas plants? Why did you invest so much in them? What is wrong with you?” Right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
This ends with me buying a lightproof grow tent for my weird poinsettia rescue experiment

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

People grow them in their yard here, but they seem to change colors after christmas? It's a definite old lady plant. My great grandmother had some 6' tall.

Yeah they remind me of spending summers in Latin America at my grandmas’ houses

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

If you do something that’s a little weird, you’re a weirdo.

If you do something that’s really weird, you’re an artist.

You can’t go halfway on this. Either grow the most magnificent poinsettia display you can, or don’t bother.

turns out people do bonsai with them

its not exactly common, but it isn’t uncommon either

oh dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nosre posted:

On another note, I got this shelf recently to quadruple my plant space there and I'm super happy with it. Ongoing problem is, though, that that's the best light in the house but it's still not enough for some of the succulents/cacti.

I figure I could nestle some grow lights up in the bottom 2 shelves and have a nice boost for the neediest varieties - problem is, it's a very thin spot and I'm thinking I'll have to go custom.

Anyone experienced with DIY lighting like that? This site https://yxoyuxinou.aliexpress.com/store/903774/search?spm=2114.12010615.8148358.1.5ee97fbc0cyCq3 seems to have everything I'd need, but it's pretty daunting to figure out wiring/heatsinks/LED controllers

[edit] on 2nd thought this is probably way overkill for the job (since it's just 'topping up' natural light and not replacing it) and something like this would probably be fine even if it doesn't fill the space perfectly https://www.amazon.de/-/en/CXhome-LED-Plant-Lamp-T5/dp/B088QVN89Q/

I recently bought a set of Barrina grow lights from Amazon (~$50) based on a goon’s recommendation and I’ve been super happy with them for the three days I’ve had them. Grow lights don’t let you merely “top up” or add to natural light, they’re also really good for extending the photoperiod and getting a few extra hours of “daylight” to your plants.

(Pls ignore the mess and the incomplete wiring job, I finished mounting the last light tube last night)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 14, 2020