Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Soop posted:

Looks like thrips. Some neem oil+soap+water spray will take care of them in a cinch, that or you can buy yellow sticky traps. (They don't like to fly into the blue ones nearly as much.)

Ah cool, I have some yellow sticky traps laying around from when I had fruit flies. Didn't realize it would work for thirps as well.

It's always some sort of pest with indoor plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Rose problems.

Not a rose expert, but a lot of those pictures sure look similar to some photos I'm finding for black spot.

Otherwise it also sounds like it could be Botrytis Blight based on your description. Either way, like the most effective treatment seems to be pruning.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm running into some mold problems with my two lemon trees. All my plants that can't stay outside in the winter are currently living in a glass Ikea cabinet (otherwise my cats would destroy them). Most of them are doing fine, but it's wet in there. So wet that I barely water the citrus – there's enough water evaporating from other heavily watered plants during the day and condensing during the night that they're staying nice and moist.

However about once every two weeks I have to break a layer of yellow mold (slime mold I think?) off the top layer of soil on both my lemon trees.

I've been trying to control it by dusting the soil with cinnamon after I get rid of the mold layer, but it doesn't seem to be working well. Just yesterday when I broke the mold out I realized I've removed enough soil that I'm getting down to the roots, and there's mold growing directly next to and possibly inside the rootball.

I'm assuming I need to repot these plants, probably in soil with better drainage as the mold only seems to grow on the old, dense potting soil I used to first germinate the trees. However before I do that is there anything else I should try to kill the mold? Also, if I do end up repotting them, is there anything I can do with the soil to help prevent mold from growing?

On the other hand entirely, some random articles I've come across while googling have said that depending on the type of mold, it might not damage the plant at all and could actually help break down nutrients. Not sure about this?

Help?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Huh. Both your posts make sense. I've been a little astonished at the quantity of the mold whenever I eventually notice it, so I suppose you're right that if it was going to harm the plant it would have already. Guess I'll just let it do its thing and see what happens.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Whoa seeds. I would take some of the below!

EagerSleeper posted:

Cilantro seeds
Seeds of a very black chili plant that's very Gothic with black leaves and red chilis

Are the chilis edible, by the way? I love growing me some food plants. I saw a similar chili at the National Arboretum awhile back and have kept an eye out for them ever since.

Wish I had space to grow the radishes and carrots. :(

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

robotindisguise posted:

I called the city and took a bunch of photos for evidence. His drain is in my property, so I glued a PVC fitting over the end, took more photos, and mailed him a certified letter saying not to touch, along with verbally telling his wife. He would have needed approval from the city and an inspection for what he did.

Please update this thread or start one in E/N with the results. This sounds like a Hatfield & McCoy situation just waiting to happen.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

One of my pepper plants is absolutely covered in aphids. I drenched it in neem oil last night, but they still seem to be hanging about today. I'm assuming I'll probably need to do a few more heavy applications over the next few days/week and then infrequent applications throughout the season, but should I be concerned at all about over neem-oiling the thing? Will daily applications hurt the plant at all? I'm doing them at dusk to avoid leaf burn.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

This is the most effective method in my experience. They like to congregate on new growth on my roses, but if I squash them early they tend to give up.

I suppose that's an option. I didn't really even think about that. :downs: They're mostly chilling out on the new growth areas of mine as well, so I suppose I'll just have to gently brush them into my hand before squishing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Pothos plants are great beginner indoor plants because they look cool and freshen the air and they're virtually impossible to kill unless you don't water the thing for several months. We have one that we grew from a clipping from a friend's plant and it does great off in a corner with only low amounts of indirect sunlight and a smattering of water every two weeks. I don't think I've fertilized it in over a year.

You could also get a cactus or a rubber plant. Thery're also basically indestructible and don't flower all that often/ever.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have those growing in several of my pots, it's a bit of a epidemic. However they don't seem to harm the plants at all. I usually just pull out the fruiting body and throw them away.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gonna try and sprout these acorns, not sure if I'll have any success or not:

Since winter is coming I was told to plant them in soil and keep them cool until spring, so they don't get their internal season clock the wrong way around.

I'm curious if that's going to work. I successfully germinated some acorns a couple years ago by putting them in plastic baggies with some soil and water and sticking them in the fridge for a couple months. Seems like you're missing the crucial cold step?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My sister is a serial plant killer and her spider plant is some sort of superhero that cannot be destroyed. It only maintains its current size because it lives on top of a cabinet and when it trails down far enough that the cats can reach it they generously trim it and deposit the leftovers in piles of vomit around the house. I think need to steal one of its runners next time I'm cat sitting.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Warbird posted:

Pepper plants (Jalapeno, Habanero, Tabasco): Moved inside, but I've read it's possible to winter them outside so I'll likely be shifting them into a semi-protected corner of the porch for the sake of having space in my apartment.

Unless you live someplace with relatively warm winters (which it sounds like you do not), you won't be able to overwinter them outside. None of those are particularly hearty breeds, they'll die if it dips below freezing.

However you can aggressively trim them and bring them indoors. Aggressive as in trim like 90% of the plant. That should help save at least a bit of space!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Re: insulation – I bought a bunch of mulch last year and covered all of my bonsai pots in about three inches or so. I took a big cardboard box, put a couple of inches of mulch on the bottom, placed the plants inside and then covered the pots with mulch. They all made it through the winter fine.

However normal mulch is a huge pain in the rear end for me because I have zero storage space and I could only find it in 2 cu/ft bags. This year I'm trying out coconut husk mulch because it comes in a much smaller package.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If it dies, dig it up in spring and replace it with a tree of your choosing?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

I worked for a nursery for a year and their warranty for any woody plants was that if it died within 1 year of purchase and you had your receipt they'd give you a replacement. It really didn't matter how it died, you could run it over with your car and set it on fire on purpose and they'd still give you a new one. It was actually kind of stupid.

And of course since we had the best warranty in town we'd occasionally get people who bought some piece of poo poo plant at Home Depot who would try and get a replacement out of us because they uh, lost their receipt?

What was working in a nursery like? I'm going to have some free time this summer and I've been considering getting a part-time job in a nursery as a learning experience.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hello plant thread. Two questions for you.

First, what is this plant? My girlfriend took a cutting off a plant at work but she didn't catch the name from the person who cares for all their plants. Any ideas?

Second question: what's wrong with my pothos pictured below? Most, but not all of the leaves have these brown spots on them. This particular leaf is the worst, where the brown spots have opened up into actual holes. Most of the leaves have somewhere between one to four small spots. There are no insects on the plant from what I can tell (though now that I look at this picture close up, the tiny brown spots might be scale). It's in a south facing window that receives about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight per day (through UV coated glass) and it doesn't spend any time below 68°F. I give it some Miracle Gro about once a month.

It's growing like gang busters, so I'm not terribly concerned about it dying or anything. But the spots are ugly. I'm assuming they might be due to the direct sunlight since I know pothos are mostly shade plants, but I figured I'd ask.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If I recall correctly, banana plants are mostly root and shoot up new trunks frequently in the right climates. If your root system is mostly gone, you may be out of luck.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I love this. What are you planting along the stairs?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I'm usually pretty good with plants. I have a 22-year-old pothos in my bathroom that's happily trucking along, and I occasionally take cuttings when it gets too rangy and root them in water to be replanted in various other containers. These I water thoroughly when they start to droop.

The small cutting in a glazed pot in my son's room is doing fine.
The plastic pot full of rooted cuttings in a ridiculous fish cachepot on our kitchen table: happy as a clam.
The cuttings rooting in a glass of water on our east-facing kitchen windowsill: thriving.
The rooted cuttings hanging in one of those biodegradable pots in the corner of that same window: extremely unhappy.

The first time​ around, the leaves yellowed and the cuttings died, so I started over with new soil and new cuttings. This batch has green, curling leaves--but often with a healthy green leaf on the same stem. I understand the curling can be due to underwatering, so I put the hanging plant on the usual water-hard-when-dry pothos watering schedule, but it's still not thriving.

What am I doing wrong with the hanging plant? Since the cuttings in water are doing so well, can I just hang a fishbowl of water full of pothos cuttings instead?

I recall reading somewhere that cuttings grown in water tend to do poorly when planted in soil and vice versa. I had zero issue with this myself when I was rooted/transplanted my own pothos plants, but it could be the issue.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Every spring there's a rash of plant thievery here in DC. People will walk outside in the morning to find their new cherry tree missing from their front yard. Apparently cheap, disreputable landscape companies will drive around looking for plants they can easily dig up and sell at a discount to their customers who don't know any better. I know a couple of folks who put "this area under surveillance" signs in their garden.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I know it's still young, but based on these leaves can anyone help me identify this baby tree?

I have at least four of growing in pots on my balcony. I had no idea what the first few were, so I dug them up and found they were saplings growing out of acorns. I guess some bird (??) must have flown them up to my balcony and buried them as I'm way too high up for squirrels and I didn't change soil in two of the pots they're growing in, so they didn't sneak in in a bag of potting soil or something. I think they probably came from the trees below my balcony, but I don't have a picture of those on hand. They have the same sort of leaves, just bigger.

The acorns themselves were quite small, maybe just a little bigger than my thumbnail, and were a dark chocolate in color.

e: They look almost like willow leaves to me, but I'm unaware of any variety of willow that isn't also weeping?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Acorns are exclusive to oaks.

I did not know that! I guess I simply assumed other species might have similar seeds.

Thanks to both of you, I think you're right. The more I read about them the more they seem like the optimal tree for growing along a street in an urban environment.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I went for a walk in the woods the other day and stumbled across this fallen (but still living) tree. I've seen these blossoms on the ground before, but since they tend to grow waaaaaay up in the canopy I've never seen a still-living one up close.

Anyone know what kind of tree is this?

Bonus forest friend photo:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Looks like a tulip tree. Beautiful!

That looks right, thanks much!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Farm day pictures for the hell of it! Bachelor's buttons and vetch flowers are going bonkers. These are all sold to local restaurants.

Bachelor's buttons

Buttons, vetch and a little garden guardian

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a hard time believing a juniper is going to survive in Florida unless you literally store it in your fridge for half the year (this is actually a thing that people do). They need winter.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The zz plant might be an exception, but overall that looks more like damage from sunlight or low humidity. My pothos, peace lily, and spider plant have similar browning and slight tearing on the leaves.

Agreed. I have a few pothos, some that get direct sun and some that do not, but all are within a few feet of each other so if insects were to blame they'd be able to get to all of 'em. The ones that get direct suns have brown spots/holes like that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well this monday I planted an oak sapling I'd grown from an acorn. Hope it'll make it, Finland's on the border, but I got it from a lot of yuuge oaks 100km further north of me.

If you have any large grazers in your area you may want to give it some protection. Deer in my region strip young oaks regularly.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Spider mites are large enough you can see them moving around on your plant, they'll look like tiny red or brown spots and they tend to hang out on the underside of leaves. They'll also leave a small amount of "web" on or around where they're feeding.

Were the brown spots of a fairly consistent size and shape? If so the bamboo might have scale, which is another type of insect parasite that can look a bit like sap. Either way, I'd probably try to clean out its growing medium (new soil, or if it's water and rocks, just rinse them out) and then examine it daily to see if any new bugs show up. If they do, just wipe them off with a damp cloth.

I am by no means a bamboo expert, so it could be something other than insects.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

lol internet. posted:

I live in the pacific northwest and would like to grow Thai chilies. Is this something I would need to bring inside in the winter and back out in spring? Will I be able to harvest chilies every year?

Yes, for sure bring the plant inside if you don't want it to die. Either that or save some seeds and start a new one inside early in the spring so you get a jump start on next year's crop. Given the right conditions you could actually produce chilies year round, but you may not have enough sun and heat to do so indoors in the winter. I was able to successfully winter my ghost pepper plant a few years ago by giving it a substantial chop (like, half the stem and all the branches except one) and keeping it in a sunny window. It didn't grow much, but it survived and produced again next summer. I think most peppers will produce well for about five years but slow down a bit after that. They'll continue producing for years afterwards, just not as robustly.

This isn't the world's best picture, but does anyone know what kind of grass this is?

I tried to photograph a few parts that are going to seed in case that's helpful (lower left). There are a few big dead spots in my lawn, but since I didn't lay down this grass originally I'm not sure what type it is. I'd like to fill in the spots with the right kind.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Thirding English Ivy and that it's a horrible weed. It will climb and cling to ANYTHING. What's worse is that it always doesn't stay attached:

Wow, this is great.

I have a ton of english ivy in my backyard. The neighbor directly behind me with whom I share a fence does exactly zero yard maintenance, so peering over the fence is like looking into a dense jungle. About once a month I spend a good hour cutting all the vines/tree growth back so that it doesn't completely overtake the fence and progress into my yard.

I do leave a few strands of ivy up, however, as they look kinda nice. :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Skutter posted:

That looks like the poo poo I hate in my yard, St. Augustine,--based on the tall, star-shaped seed shoots I'm seeing--but I could be wrong. If I'm right, the stuff actually looks good if you baby your lawn, but you have to water it every day and fertilize it regularly, or it looks like garbage. Good luck.

Well that's not promising. I have a little "identify your grass type" site bookmarked but haven't had the time to figure it out yet. I appreciate it, but let's hope you're wrong! :P

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone know what these mushrooms/fungi are? I just found them growing in a bed outside a few minutes ago and they're blowing my mind.

Hand for scale (and mimicking the mushroom for fun)

kedo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 7, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I think you're right, and the flies covering it this morning seem to agree that it's a stinkhorn. What a weird thing! I thought it looked a bit like someone had cut the leg off a chicken and stuck it in the ground.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any houseplants that can keep in cold indoor environments? It's just I really like the cold so I don't use the heater unless a) a guest complains or b) I absolutely need to to keep the pipes from freezing.

I would estimate during the winter my flat is around 40-50 degrees, which yes is perfect for me and you can find me lounging around in shorts and a t-shirts, and maybe a hoodie.

Conifer bonsai?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone help me identify this plant? It's blowing my mind. My wife received several cut branches in a bouquet back in June. After the flowers died these branches were still green, so she pulled them out and plopped them in a vase with some water. They've survived, without sending out roots, ever since. A leaf or two died, but overall these branches seem unkillable. Ignore the other stuff in the background – those cuttings are all from random plants around our yard.

What's more, I just noticed a day or two ago that a new branch (root? flower?) is growing out of the center of the bottom of each and every leaf. The main vein in the leaf terminates at a little nodule of some sort, and that nodule is now sending out new green growth.

Any ideas what this crazy plant might be?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

It took some searching around because I have never seen this type of plant before...

I think you're right! If so, that means I should be seeing flowers and ... berries (?!?!) in the middle of the cladode soon enough. We still have probably 20 stems with five or so cladodes per stem, so we'll potentially see a lot of flowers. I'll post some pictures if and when that happens.

EagerSleeper posted:

If anybody is interested, maybe I could post some weird plant species and facts in here. Otherwise, keep the requests coming!

I'm interested! Another question – I have two lemon trees I germinated from seeds from a single grocery store lemon (long story as to why, but suffice it to say I won the bet), and the resultant trees are extremely different from each other. One is very upright and quite tall with broad, incredibly healthy looking leaves and lots of thorns. The other is squat, somewhat sickly looking with wrinkled leaves and no thorns at all.

I'm guessing that one of two things happened. Either the seeds came from an F1 hybrid tree and this is the second generation doing weird stuff, or maybe the seeds came from a grafted branch and one is showing traits from the branch while the other is showing traits from the trunk.

How likely are either of these scenarios, or what else might be going on here?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

Guys help, I hosed up.

If you check my posts in this thread you'll see I did a very similar thing a few years ago with a gifted mangrove bonsai. Cold is a killer and really the best thing you can do is avoid it. Since that ship has sailed, the best thing you can do now is give your plant as close to optimal possible conditions (light, water, nutrients) as possible and see if it pulls through. Leaves dropping is not the end of the world assuming the trunk and roots are healthy, and if the trunk still feels solid it might yet survive. Pruning probably won't do anything but stress the tree more, but if there are any healthy bits you could possibly take a cutting and try rooting it to make a clone of your tree. However without leaves that probably won't work.

Plants come and go and this can be a good lesson, as crappy as that seems. I certainly never left a plant outside in the cold again after I killed my bonsai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If they're cheap and the ground isn't frozen it's not like you have a lot to lose.