Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I had an absolutely terrible fungus gnat infestation after I moved many of my plants inside for the winter. I'm talking real bad – when you went to water, several dozen would fly up from underneath the mulch per pot. It was gross,

I used the sticky yellow gnat paper and it worked wonders. I personally liked this style of stake because I found it really easy to use, and this sort of paper. I cut the paper short-ways across into about 1in wide strips that I folded and attached to the stake like you see in the example images and they were all absolutely covered with gnats in about a week.

I have zero gnats in there these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nosre posted:

How did you apply the neem oil? I imagine if you've gotta drench the top couple inches that's going to be pretty expensive. I've got 5-6 medium size pots that could use it and I'm seeing 10-15 euro for a small bottle of the stuff

Usually you dilute it in water and then use a spray bottle. How much you dilute it will depend on the concentration you get, but I think the stuff I use is about 1 tsp per quart of water. Even a small bottle lasts a really long time.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Keep the plant out of the light for 12-24 hours to prevent leaf burn. Rinse it off with water. Return to the light.

That may be overly cautious, but I did nuke my plants that one time and I don't really want to do that again.

I've usually done it right before sunset so I'd have enough light to see what I was doing. I've never rinsed it off and have never had any problems with burn – I thought the whole point was that the neem oil needed to be on the stuff the insects are eating in order to muck up their reproductive cycle.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If you follow the directions on the bottle you'll be fine. I've yet to meet a plant that has a problem with neem oil, and my method has been to absolutely soak them with it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

its_happening.gif

Haha, that's great. :) How long did that whole process take?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Just leave it. More or less sun won’t do much to solve over watering. If anything, make sure it’s not sitting in pooling water. It’s hard to kill citrus with water, they’re pretty thirsty plants.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of clay, I'm thinking about planting a handful of vines in my backyard to do some home winemaking because I apparently have way too much free time on my hands. Can anyone recommend some good reading on optimal soil conditions for different varietals, and/or viniculture in general? I have a whoooole lot of clay and can of course amend it, but I'd rather plant vines that are already clay-friendly rather than trying to completely change the composition of my soil to accommodate a grape that really shouldn't grow here in the first place.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Poorly pruned crape myrtles, the fake jewelry of the plant world.

Also this. It's the time of year now where everywhere I drive I see butchered crepe myrtles everywhere, looking like a handful of big sticks stuck in the ground.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

same thing as don't buy ladybugs!

Curious about this, why?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Spacing for peppers will also depend on the size of pot you're planting them in. In a standard 5 gallon bucket or equivalent you can get some huuuuuge plants, but if they're in smaller pots they won't grow quite as large.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of roses, I have a dilemma. I plumb forgot to trim my few bushes earlier this year, and with all the rain we've been getting on the NE coast my roses are now growing at an extreme rate. They're far too heavy and tall, so they're falling over and looking pretty dumb. Ultimately I'd like to trim them so at the highest they're about even with the bottom of the windows in the picture, but there are almost no leaves on that portion of the plant. My concern is that if I trim all of this heavy stuff, the bushes will die because they have too much energy in those branches and they won't be able to photosynthesize.

Would it be better to just stake them this year, and then give them a very hard prune next spring? Any opinions/ideas? The bushes in question:

Also in other news, all the rain has also brought back an old, semi-unsightly friend...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

[quote="“BadSamaritan”" post="“484612276”"]
Do you have any resources for planning out layouts/plant selection for very new gardeners? Also... if I want to aim for planting next year, what should I focus on this year?
[/quote]

I know some other folks in the thread have tools for garden planning, but for your second question I’d say start paying real close attention to where you get sun during this part of the year so you know where to plant next year. You also have plenty of time left this summer to get a crop of summer veggies planted and harvested before fall (greens, carrots, radish, etc.) if you get seeds in the ground within the next few weeks.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Alright so my English Ivy plant is still struggling, and I gave her a thorough check the other day and the spider mites are still there! :kingsley:

I think I may have been applying the neem oil improperly; I was first moving her to my shower and spraying her off then spraying with the neem. I think I should reverse that and let the neem fully dry, is this a better method? I remember someone saying that the neem clogs up the spider mite's mouth or whatever those evil little bugs eat with, so I'm guessing I was really not doing anything to them by applying neem oil to an already wet plant.

I just really want her to get better! :ohdear:

Instead of spraying the mites off with water and then applying the neem oil, use a high pressure enough sprayer to spray the mites off with your neem oil dilution. That may help the oil stick to the leaves better. When ingested, the oil mucks with the mites' reproductive system, so you want to leave a thin layer of oil on your ivy's leaves. In between applications it doesn't hurt to give the plant a once over ever few weeks. If you spot any mites, get a damp paper towel and wipe them off. This is of course not a permanent fix, but can at least extend the time between neem oil applications.

That all being said, when I bring my outdoor plants inside for the winter I have to spray them at least three times over the course of the cold season. Once they're back outside the wind and natural predators keep mite populations in check, however it seems they're virtually impossible to eradicate entirely. If you only have one plant you might have better luck.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

As long as they have leaves left (and sometimes even if they don’t) and they don’t have root rot, they’ll probably be fine. Most plants are quite resilient when it comes to overwatering as long as you fix it fairly early. :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone identify these seeds? They came from a dried flower that was part of a bouquet. They were arranged in an orb-shaped bloom with the parachute bits on the outside and the feathery white bits attached to the stem, but there were no petals or leaves on the stem when I saw it so I don't have much else to go on.

I'm germinating a few of the seeds now so it'll be easier to identify them eventually, but I'm curious if anyone might be familiar with their shape?

e: Never mind, turns out it's scabiosa stellata!

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 15, 2019

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone identify these plants? They have been popping up all over the place in northern Virginia over the past two weeks, but only in areas with flowing water. I believe we're getting close to the season for wild ramps, but these don't look like the ramps I'm familiar with. When ripped they have a garlicy smell, but since I wasn't sure what they were I was too chicken to taste them.

Any ideas?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hmmm, I think you might be right! Strangely it didn't smell that bad, and it didn't smell at all until I broke one of the stalks in half and then I thought it actually smelled pretty good. Maybe I have a terrible nose?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What type of plant captures the most carbon/produces the most oxygen?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is this per plant, or in terms of global biomass because it’s everywhere?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for the answers! I was going down a thought tunnel last night about carbon capture for the purposes of helping stop climate change. I was wondering if one were to plant bigass fields of one plant to try to capture the most carbon possible, or to take an already efficient plant and try to breed it to be a super-capturer, what would it be?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for all the additional answers! I'm not really attempting to solve global warming myself in my backyard (though I'm probably already growing enough plants back there to offset at least a portion of my carbon emissions? I wonder how I could calculate that...), but instead was considering it from a theoretical perspective. If I were a botanist trying to genetically engineer a super-plant for carbon capture that could be grown easily lots of places, where would I start?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

restore all lawns to prairie status

I just got done driving from Utah to the east coast, and let me tell you, if I had a couple billion dollars burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy up a few million acres in the midwest and just let it go back to its wild state. It's kind of sad what monoculture has done to that region. I tend to let my lawn just do what it wants, it's probably less than 40% turf grass. As long as it's green, it can grow.

In other news, does anyone know what this plant is? We spread a bag of random "wildflower" seeds in a bed in our backyard last spring, and nothing much came up. However this year this monster is growing like gangbusters. I'm in VA, so it could theoretically be a volunteer, but I'm imagining it's something from the packet that needed to go through a winter.

e: Please ignore my unsightly unturned compost bin.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's a hollyhock

Thank you! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Sadly, I think it's time to 86 the cukes. Mold has overtaken it. All the flowers have withered. He's dead and just doesn't know it yet. Plus, he's taking up some primo real estate. I think what i'll do is get another one going from seed and try to direct his growth a little better. Plus, I got some plans for a morning glory on that corner.

What kind of exposure/hours of direct sun does your balcony have? Those cukes look a lot like mine did when I planted them in an area of my yard with partial shade. They need sun like a mofo. When I dedicated some space in my full sun bed to them, it was like growing a whole different plant. Mold doesn’t stand a chance if the leaves are in sun 6+ hours per day, even with the near 100% humidity we have all summer.