Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008
One day I'd love to have a carpet of succulents outside my house, rather than hedges or whatever.

However, recently I just picked up this guy from a recycling center, and would like to know what the hell kind of succulent this is. I like its stems, it looks cool indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Here we are at the back of the house. This narrow walkway dead-ends in the fence that the big nopales is growing against, so we rarely go back here. This plant is growing here, it makes nice pink flowers but it's getting out of control and I think it is probably not native. Once again, please tell me what this plant is.

That's an oleander. It's poisonous, but it's not like you're going to turn it into salad.

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008
I just moved house and the place is full of Mystery Plants! I've been googling but I'm stuck on what the hell all these guys are.

A bunch of cool-looking succulents which I'm excited about inheriting :3:

Looks sort of related to the little green guy above. Hangs in the shade, flowering like mad in mid-winter. :iiam:

Shrubs:
I'd love to know what this one is, it looks all funky and prehistoric. It spreads by shooting up these spikes on vines. Echium seemed to be close but I couldn't find images of anything that looked exactly like this...?

Spiky leaves with silvery backs. It reminds me of a thistle but the leaves are harder, more leathery, like holly.

Guessing a leucadendron based on the leaves and red tips.

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008
Yep, southern Australia. Temperate climate, similar to Northern California maybe.

Thank you, unprofessional! Much appreciated. The euphorbia already needs serious pruning, but yeah, it is an awesome plant.

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008
They look pretty cool in bloom. Mine's a 'Tiny Tim' variety as mentioned, which fits because it's not actually that tall, less than two feet high. I've only seen a couple in people's gardens, but anything Mediterranean suits our climate well.

Just realised that my final picture, the shrubby tree, is most likely a bottlebrush. A common native Australian plant. :downs: Dig the toilet brush flowers.

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008

unprofessional posted:

Not sure anybody cares, but every single one of my grafts on my adenium took, meaning a tree with much better branching and form in the future. This presents an opportunity for anybody with a desert rose to much more easily control the look of their plant than was previously considered possible, when the only accepted way to induce more branching was to trim the plant.

Here is a healed graft union:

And the tree as a whole:

Over the next year or so, the graft unions should heal up, making them nearly invisible, and the next time the tree goes dormant, I'll have a good pallet for trimming/possibly more grafting.

That's cool as hell. It's not something I'd have thought of doing with any of my plants.

Gonna bring some southern-hemisphere into this thread:

I transplanted this hebe, and I'm amazed that it took and then bloomed profusely at the start of summer. It inspired me to plant another hebe nearby, a variegated one.
You see that nasturtium in the upper left corner? They snaked in through the neighbours' fence, and little did I know that they'd been making GBS threads seeds all over my garden all summer. I've pulled out hundreds of nasturtium seedlings and I'm still yanking them out :mad:

Corymbia ficifolia, a species of smaller eucalyptus tree. Blooms in late summer. There were tons of birds all over it, including this cute little fella.

Dwarf banksia. Banksias have these neat flower cones that last for months.

Tree fern time! I got this one from a Tasmanian native nursery. It has a double trunk! It's only small right now but I look forward to growing old together, me and this fern.

Question:

What is this mystery plant? I grew up in a desert climate, so I had no idea what any of the temperate cottage-garden plants were that the previous owners had planted. (Seriously, I couldn't have identified a camellia until this year.)

Holden Rodeo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008

Ehud posted:

I posted this in the fast fixes thread, and a kind goon pointed me to this plan thread. Any help is appreciated.

What do you guys think of these plants?

It looks like it could be Chinese wisteria:
http://www.invasive.org/weedcd/species/3083.htm
http://www.eddmaps.org/AT/distribution/point.cfm?id=2062483

I'd hit it with roundup first - that's gonna be a lot of digging. (It could be worse, it could be English ivy!)