Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I hear only good things about agent orange!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

So I decided to start building a vertical garden!
Getting the milk crates like this was a bit trickier than I thought it was going to be. I finally found someone who gave me as many as I could fit in my forester (21!) got home and realised that I will only need 6.

This is what I started with. An empty space that we couldn't quite work out what to put in it.
I dug out a bit and got to work on putting the crates together.

my son thought he would help

Looking good!

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 28, 2013

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I live in Tasmania, Australia, so Walmart is a decent trip.
We don't even have a 7/11 on the whole island.
Also, I got them FREE!

This is what will go in,

And then I ran out of cable ties. Will have to go to the shop.

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 28, 2013

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I put an ad on gumtree asking for free milk crates. They replied. I reckon they probably had over 100.

That bamboo is amazing. I am in awe.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

So I've put a few plans in. It's going to take a lot more than I thought but looking really nice

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

This is pretty cool. I can't wait to see how this works....

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

It's the plant from Little Shop of Horrors

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I don't know how many Ausgoons are here but I found this map which converts US zones to Australia.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

We moved into a rental and there is some pretty neglected lavender in the garden. They have got big and woody with a little bush growth on the end. How ruthless can I be in cutting it back. When should I cut it back? It's currently winter here. (Ausgoon)

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Some kind of water damage- as if the water and sun burned the leaves?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

There are a few

General_Failure posted:

I couldn't find a thread for asking about plants so I'm going to post here.

In case I'm wrong, here's a picture so the post isn't a complete waste.

Some kind of peach tree. It had two friends but one died of what I suspect to be termites and the other from ???
Back story. We bought the house off the bank 5 or so years ago as a deceased estate. It had been sitting vacant a couple of years before that. The garden was in poor shape when we got it. For many reasons in the last month is really the first bit of work we have been able to put into bringing the yard back to life.

This work unfortunately involved cutting down all the bottlebrushes for allergy reasons. I won't lie. I really, really hated doing that. It's also really upset my youngest child and kind of broke him. He tries to climb the pile of branches that is made of the trees he used to climb :( It's also left the front of the yard, and some bits against the house horribly exposed. I'm kind of desperate to find trees to replace them.

My requirements are:
*Relatively non toxic.
*Not allergy nightmares.
*No thorns or other real nasties.
*Nice foliage, blossoms or whatever.
*Doesn't grow very tall.
*Fairly dense branches / foliage for privacy and shade.
*Can live in clay.
*Drought / heat / sun resistant.

I live in Australia on the plains by the way. Depending on who you talk to it could be called the outback.

Fun list, hey?
Any ideas what meets all these requirements?

We planted agonis burgundy. It's an native and it is super hardy- certainly didn't need much love or attention, didn't mind clay soil or care about water. We used it to create some privacy it grows to about 2m. Sorry about the awful pic- there are a few better ones on google images.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Also fill the holes full of roundup

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

robotindisguise posted:

It's about 10 feet from the house. There was no drainage issue for the last 3 years, but a few months ago neighbor had a big load of fill dirt brought in...didn't know what any of it was for, but I peeked over my fence this morning (due to the ridiculous flooding) and found out he raised the ground and he added a drain that diverts probably 3/4ths of the runoff from his roof into what used to be a swale along the property line.

Not sure if I explained that right, but there used to be a big flat area between houses. He turned his side of the swale into a hill and rerouted all of his gutters on the West, South, and East sides of his home to run through this new hill and empty out a few inches from my fence aimed directly into my yard.

Plug the drain with concrete

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

It’s my good hand!

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Plant people, I want your feelpinions on what this plant is- I’m not 100% sure that it’s monstera as the leaves look different to the others I’ve seen on the internet...

But it might just be too early to tell...

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Close. It's a Philodendron. Probably P. bipinnatifidum, but it's hard to tell leaves apart when they're still small.

Wow, thanks for the help!

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Anyone got ideas on what this is? Looks like a citrus but has no leaves. Has some little fruit things that are about an inch long.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

there wolf posted:

Lemon tree?

There’s a lemon tree out the front so I’d be surprised if there was a second, I guess I’ll have to wait and see?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Thicc

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Found this bad boy on Gumtree for $30, RIP trees:

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Pretty happy with 6 months growth on my philodendron cutting!

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Amara posted:

Is there a guide for indoor air-filtering plants that do okay in relatively dim and cool conditions? I don't care about pretty much any properties except that 1) it improves air quality and 2) it grows even with indirect light during the day and only a little fluorescent light in the evening. And I guess a few different ones for some variety?

https://greatist.com/connect/houseplants-that-clean-air

spider plant and mother in law's tongue are hardy as hell.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Marchegiana posted:

There's also the unkillable pothos

Definitely unkillable!

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

"another study posted:

Our results suggest that active interaction with indoor plants can reduce physiological and psychological stress compared with mental work. This is accomplished through suppression of sympathetic nervous system activity and diastolic blood pressure and promotion of comfortable, soothed, and natural feeling

There are other benefits to plants inside too, on balance even more plants are good

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I reckon wind is gonna be your biggest enemy here, my workplace has a 2nd floor “garden” and just about everything is in a cycle of brand new-> dying-> dead from the wind.

You might want to try some sort of windbreak to establish the plants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

Forget goats, chickens will decimate anything you let them near. Plants, grass, other (smaller) birds. You'll have a barren wasteland before you know it!

And dinner too!