Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Venetir
May 19, 2009

Eeyo posted:

I've got a question with my plants: Does anyone have experience with Christmas Cactus?

I've been growing Christmas cacti for years and have learned one thing above all: mine love neglect. If your plant is anything like mine, if you want it to thrive, wait a few days after the soil completely dries before you water it each time. I wait about three days; it'll start wilting shortly thereafter since my climate is really dry. If you want it to flower (wait until yours is a lot bigger), throw it into a cool (50-60 degrees F), very dim area for a week or so. I've even just used a closet with good results. Take it out, water it, let it hang out like normal for awhile, and it'll start flowering.

When propagating from stem segments like you have, I've found using a small ceramic pot is best. I've generally just broken off a segment with pre-existing roots, let it hang out on top of the soil until the broken end scars over, and planted half of the length, rooted side down, into the soil. I'll soak the soil every few days, re-watering as soon as the soil completely dries. The small, relatively breathable pot helps the soil dry out quickly and avoid any fungal/bacterial problems. Eventually you'll see new growth in the form of tiny, reddish leaf nubs: once that happens, it has assuredly taken root and you can water it like normal. My propagations have usually taken a month or two to get going.

They don't grow amazingly quickly. It took about two years for mine to go from this:

to this:

Venetir fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU