Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I recently planted 5 rose bushes in the eastern facing side of my house. I have deeply watered them once per week and I dug the holes twice as wide as the containers as the tags said, but they look like they aren't doing well.

Top leaves are dry and falling off:

Base leaves are turning yellow.

More water? Should I buy some liquid fertilizer? Maybe they aren't getting enough sun?

I had planted two roses in a more sunny side of my house a few years ago, and after a few years of not watering them, they are now 3 feet tall and doing well. So I am not sure what to do.

Even the healthiest of the bushes is starting to turn yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Hummingbirds posted:

Yellow leaves usually indicate overwatering, actually.

Greatly appreciate this advice! I was about to water my roses again because of the yellow leaves. I didn't, and now most of the leaves are coming back to green.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

There is a strip of land on the side of my house that you walk by to get to my backyard that I want to plant flowers in. It is about 1'x15', but gets pretty much no sun. What kind of things can I grow there? It would be nice to be colorful, and not something that I need to constantly trim back from the pathway.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

e: sorry wrong thread

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Linco posted:

So I just bought a new home, and have been working on the landscaping the past few days. The picture below seems to be a strategically placed plant, but my fiance thinks it is a weed. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Looks like a solar powered lamp.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Ehud posted:

At least I found bits of grass underneath the 6" layer of leaves. Bagging this stuff isn't the most fun. I wanted to mulch it all up, but the layer of leaves was very deep and moist.

Don't bag it up, that will make the best leaf compost!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I've been cutting down this 10 foot long row of Yucca trees, that must be 20-30 years old. Down at the base/root of the plants they are about 3 feet in diameter. What can I spray on the cut trunk to kill the roots? I think glyphosate needs to be sprayed on the leaves, right?

Any suggestions of a power tool that would help get rid of these roots/trunks?

e: to be clear, this is a 10+ foot long, 3+ foot wide SOLID row of Yucca plants. All I can think of is renting a really long chainsaw. Is there a tool better than this?

I've cut them down to about 2 or 3 foot tall stumps.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 10, 2014

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Leperflesh posted:

Is fire an option? Don't use it near a building or with any kind of ground cover that could light up, of course, but if you have bare soil, you can burn out a stump pretty effectively.

Unfortunately no, the row is at the closest part, 4 feet from my house. And it is surrounded by wood chips.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Cpt.Wacky posted:

The tool is a stump grinder, used to chip up the stump below the soil line. An arborist should be able to advise you on whether that would work or other methods available.

I was trying to think about a joke involving a stump grinder and strip clubs, but couldn't think of anything. This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Does neem oil help with slugs and snails? I've been putting out tons of Slug-O and they keep eating my young greens and bean leaves. What else can I do?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

kedo posted:

I've got spider mites everywhere and on almost every plant on my balcony. I bought some weird powder pesticide at the recommendation of my local garden shop, but I am terrible at applying it. Most of the stuff I'm growing is food, so I don't want to use anything that's going to make the food inedible (the guy at the garden shop claimed the one I'm using is okay on veggies, as does the bottle).

Any recommendations for some sort of liquid spray I could use to just soak the poo poo out of all the plants and kill these little bastards, or at least to dissuade them from eating my plants? I'm okay doing multiple/continual applications throughout the summer if necessary.

Is the powder Diatomaceous Earth? DE is food safe, as in you could lick the DE and not get sick. I just grab a cup full of it and liberally sprinkle it on the plants that are having bug problems. Just remember it doesn't work if it gets even slightly wet, so make sure the area is completely dry before you apply it.

Try neem oil if you want a spray.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Anidav posted:

Mystery Plant:

Looks a little bit like an avocado
http://theselfsufficientliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dwarf-Avocado-Tree-500x360.jpg
http://plant.daleysfruit.com.au/ml/avocado-wurtz-a-3823.jpeg

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

holttho posted:

I figured tree, but I'm in Chicago, so I don't know what fruit would be around. Maybe the neighbors threw something in there.

That didn't come from a seed, that is a trimming from a tree that rooted.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

My roses liked the extra rain we got here in Northern California.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

cheese posted:

I'm also in Nor Cal. Question for you. Roses in containers on my north facing balcony: Horrible idea, or most horrible idea? Starting in early march, as the sun gets high enough over the roof, it gets an hour or two of sunlight, and in mid April right now, we get a few hours of morning and a few hours of afternoon sun. I'm not 100% sure since we moved in during Feb, but I believe it will get full sun in peak summer.

These roses are on the north-east facing side of my house, and only get about 4-6 hours of direct sunlight a day. They are half the size of roses I have on the other side of my house, but they still manage to look nice and bloom.

I would suggest each rose gets at least a 5 gallon (10 would be much better) container by itself.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 25, 2017

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Oodles posted:

But the dandelions are bad plants right?

The only bad plant is one that you don't want. Take out the plants you don't want, leave the ones you do want.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

OSU_Matthew posted:

Quick question... Is anyone here familiar with Pawpaw trees?

I never use chemical fertilizer, so I can't comment about that. Be careful not to use too much at one time. I use Fish Emulation and compost on my trees.

How much water does your area get per year? I live in an area with all of the rainfall coming in winter. The rest of the year I do a deep watering every 3-4 months. For a new transplant I would place the hose 1 foot away from the trunk, and just leave it there on full for 10 minutes. As the tree gets larger, move the hose to 2-3 feet from the trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was trying to do less than ten gallons a day, but now I'm seeing ten gallons a week everywhere I look on the googler, so I'm just going to hold off watering for a few days until things look like they've dried up a bit and make a slow drip bucket. It's just unusually hot here so I've been concerned.

You shouldn't water trees every week, or even every month. They have large roots that can find water on their own.