Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I want to post some pictures of the Eagercrew, the plants that have been growing with me for a while now.

This is my Mexican Milkweed plant's (Aesclepias curassivica) seed pods. I was really surprised to see these pop up especially since these guys...

...usually have eaten half the plant before I arrive. I'm hoping that those seed pods will remain safe long enough to finish developing, since I'm really hoping to plant some more milkweed.

It's always in flower, looking so lovely even during winter. Even if it was doing badly for some reason, I could always just dig up the tuber, and grow it in a pot instead. Love this plant!

Went outside one day, and found Sweet William growing underneath my pine tree. I'm pretty glad and fairly surprised to see an English cottage plant growing in such an inhospitable location, where only desert succulents do well, but hey, you rock, little plant! Maybe I should try pinching the top leaves off so that way it would branch out a bit? It's pretty small, and I'm not sure.

One of the lizards out of two without fear, as I've not given them any reason to.
Sex: I think it's a guy. It has a red flap under it's chin that it likes to show off.
Zodiac: ???
Hobbies: eating bugs, following me around, acting territorial.
Dislikes: politics, super hot days.

Somehow, the pot where I liked to toss miscellaneous leaf cuttings has grown beautiful young plants. I'm not sure what species nor variety most of these are, but all this time I was contemplating buying an Echeveria 'Black Prince,' there was one in my garden the whole time.

Me demonstrating my preferred method of plant propagation: tossing poo poo on a bare patch of ground, and hoping it lives. This purslane has roots already, and later flowered (the color was pink)

THE ODD COUPLE. One of my favorite group plantings. They were both doing shittily until I put them together. One is an ornamental chile plant, the other was said to be a Calandrinia spectablis, but I really think it's an Echeveria. One is cool and blue, the other is dainty and spicy. They fight crime heat.

I really took a bad picture of this, but I have no idea what this plant is. It has whorled leaf arrangements in a group of four, hairy stems with the hairiest being being on new growth, and it's growing these strange flowering catkin/spike things. I grew this plant from leaf cuttings even though it's not exactly a typical succulent just to see if I could, and it worked but I have no idea what it is.

Purslane, Echeveria harmsii, and the Caesalpinia pulcherrima that I have not managed to kill yet, and a Mexican Breath of Heaven plant that was not as fortunate. That caesalpinia/red bird of paradise was a seedling that had been in a plastic disposable cup for about six months, looking dead. When I went to throw the poor thing away, I found it had a new leaf :staredog:, so I moved it to its new home where it's been doing well ever since.

Astilbe growing in zone 9. Still trying not to fry its heat sensitive roots, but it has been actively growing well in this goddamn sun. :supaburn: Ask me if you want to know how I'm doing it, I can write a :words: post.

Lastly, my first gladiolus flower. I bought the corms in a pack for 50 cents at a dollar store, and after two years of failing to grow them correctly (the guy who we hired to cut our grass chopped them up and also stole most of my plants), I'm so glad to see the color yellow. Gladiolus is such a happy plant. :swoon:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

That70sHeidi posted:

Tons of beautiful pictures. :swoon:

To answer your question about whether to prune or not to prune, err on the side of pruning, or at least pinching off the leaf buds at the tip of the plant. Doing so can make sure your plants never get lanky, and stay vigorous.

Also, I second Marchegiana's call that you have a Virginia Creeper in your photo. Super aggressive growing weed, that likewise seeds aggressively too.

unprofessional posted:

Gravel works, but tough weeds seem to seed in it really easily. You might contact some of the tree services around you. A lot of them mulch all the stuff they cut and then give it away. Looks like you're doing a nice job.

My Echinopsis subdenudata bloomed today. PRETTY.

Unprofessional, that is a very happy looking Echinopsis. Congratulations!

Kenning posted:

So my competition pot of Drosera burmannii is coloring up really well in advance of the BACPS Annual Show and Sale on the 21st.

Sundews turn red as a protection against excess sunlight – the anthocyanin (a type of pigment) reflects red-spectrum light and gives the plant a bit of a break. Anthocyanin builds up over time, so if the plant is growing very rapidly it will often stay greenish pale without ever developing the red color. Therefore, to get the reddest plants possible you need to stop feeding, and give them as much light as possible. I moved my plant to within 3 inches of my lights, and last fed them on May 19th. Compare the colors with this post – excellent progress.

Now that the middle plant is blooming it will get a bit more complicated. I may just move my two light fixtures close together and then let the stalk go up between them. I want to collect seed from these still, but for the next 10 days I just want them to stay pretty.

Thank you for the write up on your process, Kenning! I admit that I know little about about plant show competition, but from what you said, it seems that the competition is a chance for plants to not only look pretty, but also demonstrate technique.

Tremors posted:

I got two new plants recently. :3:

Drosera binata var. dichotoma "Giant" that just arrived today. (Any tips, Kenning?)

Dog-tail cactus I saw at walmart and just had to take home. I hope it does well enough to flower.

Haha, what is this? I didn't even know that sundews can look like bamboo-copters. The plant world will never stop amazing me.

The dog tail cactus looks very cute, Tremors. :) I hope you get to see its flowers as well!

Speaking of things in the plant world that amaze me, here's a photo of an underground orchid that lives its entire life in the dirt (even the blooms are subterranean):

Article here: http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2011/02/underground-orchid-is-evolutionary-enigma/

This is quite literally old news to most people, but still. :stare: What pollinates those flowers?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

7thBatallion posted:

So I put some Sedum in with a couple goldfish plant starts in an 8" pot. I figured the goldfish plant is really susceptible to root rot, so having something else to wick up excess water is a good idea. They both seem quite happy, the Nematanthus growing slowly as usual and the Sedum exploding. I've trimmed back the Sedum some, at least the few parts that are outpacing the Nematanthus and planted them in the yard. If I keep the Sedum trimmed, should these two live together in harmony?

Using other plants as a moisture wick is a great idea! Although I will admit that I'm not sure if the sedum will grow quick enough to really work out great as a fast-term fix, but in theory it should. Basil plants really work out great for that job too if you want, and they're easy to grow from seed too.

Captain Cool posted:

We have had this neat plant in front of our apartment since we moved in a few years ago. It's probably ten inches across on a two-foot stem.

Tonight our toddler succeeded in shaking its head off. We were sad.

With some help from the first few pages of this thread, I've identified it as an Aeonium, probably Aeonium Ciliatum. It also seems that this kind of plant might be rather hearty

and easy to propagate

so I'm going to stick it in the ground again, water it every few weeks along with everything else, and see what happens. Anything else I should do?

I also noticed these guys on the ground next to it. They don't quite look like the same plant. Do the spots say anything about how I should be treating them differently?

Let the wound callous for sure, and also don't water the decapitated head for the first maybe two days. When watering, make sure the plant is watered, not so much the dirt itself. Sorry if I'm being vague, aeoniums aren't my specialty, but the rest I think you have the idea. :shobon: Hummingbirds gave good advice too in that a broken succulent plant is a chance to propagate more plants.

Not sure if you did this yet, but you need to pluck off enough leaves to leave a 'neck' on the decapitated aeonium head. Those leaves would be lost anyway during the process of rooting, but now you might get new plants out of the ordeal. :madmax:

Also tha small plant you have is a sedum nussbaumerianum. The spots might indicate too much plant crowding or too much shade? Not sure without knowing if the plant was indeed too close to another one.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 19, 2014

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

unprofessional posted:

Sempervivum arachnoideum. Trait has been bred into many Semp hybrids.

Not sure if the hair actually has any function. I believe hair is usually considered a stage in succulent evolution when spines are no longer necessary, but Semps don't have spines to start with. I'll ask a horticulture prof, as it's interesting.

I think the function of hair in this sort of plant is the same as it is in old man cactus, in that it's used to keep some humidity around in the dry days, and also shield against the sun. But yeah, I'm no horticultural professor, it'd be interesting to see what they have to say. :)

Also speaking of plant shows (congratulations Kenning!), I've been sitting on this link to a succulent plant show for a while. Click this link to see things like balls of lithops, plants that barely even look like plants except for the fact that they are green, and also some beautiful bonsai that I should probably crosspost into the bonsai thread. http://www.agaclar.net/forum/kaktus-ve-sukulent-alinacak-mekanlar-seralar-etkinlikler/25442.htm

A sample:

Oh hey, it's the plant from the OP and now he's all grown up. :D

I have no idea what's going on here. Looks like a scene from the movie Alien, but reenacted with plants?

Two plants that would probably have SCP Foundation stories written about them.

And lastly, this stately bonsai.

Edit:

That70sHeidi posted:

crap, I gotta get caught up on posts, but can anyone ID this type of lily? It's a friends

Those are indeed asiatic lillies as Unprofessional said, and brb, I need to go buy some. :swoon:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 22, 2014

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sorry to hear about your Nemantanthus, 7thBattalion. 40 years old is much older than what most plants gets, so your family can be very proud of that.

Speaking of the opposite of giving thingsa long life, here's a list of things that I can absolutely not grow: Lupines, Nasturtiums, and now recently Cosmos for some reason even though I did grow one last year. I have no idea about the Lupines and Nasturtiums. No matter whether full sun or some shade, these guys were either wrecked by snails or withered away slowly which sucks. Nothing on the internet says that they can't grow in zone 9, only that they're so easy and fool-proof. :pwn:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tremors posted:

This is probably a silly question but are there any neat plants that do ok with little natural light? I'd like to get something small for my desk at work but the most it would see are the fluorescent ceiling lights... Are there any compact grow lights that anyone would recommend?

No idea about the lighting question, but I can definitely recommend lucky bamboo. I have a poor lucky bamboo that's stuck behind a window with the blinds closed and it seems to be doing fine. Lucky bamboos have also been reported to be fine living completely artificial lighting, and while I haven't done that myself, I'd totally believe it from the amount of neglect my own plant receives. The only tough part about owning a lucky bamboo is the fact that they'll burn and die if given regular (chlorinated) tap water, but that factor can be resolved in many different ways. But yeah, I think lucky bamboo would be a plant to cheer you on during the office work day.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea what type of weed it is, but I have the same plant as Ehud does. :tinfoil:

Unrelated, but I've always been interested in growing plants indoors, but haha, what's all this about a light spectrum and taking the effort to program a timer system? Despite that, I always appreciated the idea of aquaculture, where you can garden inside of an aquarium. Sometimes it's even an artform.

Forest Scent, Pavel Bautin. Russia. 2010 IAPLC Grand Prize Winner

Pale Wind, Takayuki Fukada. Japan. 2013 IAPLC Gold Prize

Whisper of the pines, Serkan Çetinkol. Turkey. 2013 IAPLC Top 27

Wild West, Stjepan Erdeljić. Croatia.

Long Tran Hoang, Vietnam. 2012 IAPLC Third Place.

There’s more over examples of beautiful aquascapes here at this link: http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/01/the-incredible-underwater-art-of-aquascaping/ , and that link has even more links to beautiful photographs of past grand prize winners if you follow them.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zratha posted:

Also,. I don't quite know how to say this but I think it is, uh, growing a dick.

It REALLY likes the attention you're giving it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Shirec posted:

Does anyone here have experience with shamrocks? I have a red one that has been looking really sad for a month or so. It was really lush and then I moved it to a different window so the flowers wouldn't glue onto the glass, and that was apparently not a good decision. Someone told me I should cut it all down and let it regrow, but I wanted to ask around before I started trimming.

It might depend on what species you have: Clover, or Oxalis. I don't know much about the situation or if it's happy being an indoor plant, but I think that since it's a red plant, it probably is unhappy about being placed by the shadier window. If it can have sunniness, I'm sure it will perk up.

Alternatively, both clovers and oxalis grow like weeds where I live (since they are), so you might also be able to keep them outside long enough until they become happy again.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Congratulations, Kenning! As you're vice-president of the carnivorous plant society now, can I petition you to fund additional grants to genetically engineer real life triffids? Or at the very least, a 50% off coupon for the next plant sale?

Long time, no see, plant thread. How's it been going? Since it's been unseasonably hot these last couple of weeks (zone 9 :whatup:), I've decided to get an early foot on gardening by winter sowing with some handmade paper seedling pots, but I've realized that I got a problem. I have way too many seeds than I have time for. If any of y'all are interested, I have these seeds to share:

Dill heading towards Tyson
Cosmic purple carrots
Spinach Mustard (great for drought and heat)
Swiss Chard
heading towards Jerome Louis
Radish - french Breakfast variety
Habanero heading towards Tyson
Marigold, French Dwarf Double heading towards Tyson
Lupine, Russell hybrids heading towards Jerome Louis
Cilantro

I only request that if you're interested, that you take a minimum of two seed packets each so that way it won't be murder on postage stamps.

I also have a lucky bamboo, and a pineapple dracaena that I don't mind giving away, but those are grown plants. :v:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 2, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tyson Tomko posted:

I wish it was spring already so I could get started with everything.

The true spring is in your heart~ :rory:

Marigolds, habanero, and random dill coming up! Do you have private messages, or an email that I can contact you for details?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Alright, I sent those seeds your way. Hopefully they don't get turned around at the post office because I put two stamps on that sucker, and maybe it'll get there soon.

Also, maybe later I can post some pics of the plants that I have that are blooming now. Been a while since we'vehad any of that.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Alright, I have four seed packets heading towards Jerome Louis right now. That's going to be the Swiss chard, lupine, spinach mustard, and a :siren:special packet of mystery seeds:siren: all ready to go. These seeds are going to be awesome. :madmax:

If anybody else wants some seeds for themselves, the seeds that I have available are:

Cilantro
Cosmic purple carrots
and Radish - French Breakfast

Every packet of seeds that I sent out has also had a bonus packet of seeds added of species that are pretty hard to find online. Think of it like the special foil trading card of the plant world.

Thank you everyone so far who has shown interest in taking these seeds off my hands. I'm getting ready to move, so I'm downsizing my collection. It's also great being able to get these seeds out of my closet, and into eager hands. Early spring cleaning is awesome!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'm looking for a landscaping solution for loud neighbors. Are there any quicker-growing bushes that may block the noise? Our bedroom is near their patio, so when their son and his friends get drunk late on a weeknight I have to go over and ask them to quiet down. I'd rather avoid having to try an build a fence, since I don't want to block a lot of sun and could probably get away with 15' of tall bushes instead of the entire lot (current 4' fence is the neighbors').

I have no idea if there's a plant out there that can reliably block out the acoustics of loud, drunk people, but maybe something with big, rustle-y leaves so that way when the wind blows, it might help drown out the noise. Alternatively, a windchime?

Sorry to hear about your situation, fellow loud neighbor-haver :(:respek::(

Pigasus posted:

Can anyone help me identify this cactus? I have been trying to get it to flower for two years, but I haven't seen it do anything. Does anyone have any advice on how to take care of it?
It's an office plant that I have on my desk.

The roots don't seem to be taking to the pot either.

The hooked needles on it indicate that it's some sort of Mammillaria cactus. Like others have said, the cactus would probably enjoy being out in the sun more in order for flowers to bud reliably, but the little dude actually looks pretty great despite being indoors. :yum:

I know that some species of cacti and other species of succulent require absolutely no watering during winter, despite scary signs like wrinkling and literal deflating, in order to flower, so maybe that might be a factor.

Also don't worry about the roots not really taking to the pot. Cactus roots are by nature shallow in depth compared to other plants. Judging by the photo, the soil that the cactus is in also looks way too full of moisture-loving organic material. The way the roots are now probably helping out by keeping them out of too much water. Plus if it's been living like that so well after two years, then I think that it's a living arrangement that the cactus is quite cozy with.

Fake edit: did anyone ever get the seeds that I sent them? I hope they finally came in, especially after all the postage stamps that I put on those babies.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

African violets are fun and easy to grow. The one on the right is supposedly a mini one, while the one on the left is a normal variety sized one. Please pardon the dishes in the back, I am a goon.

Shame Boner, the only way to deal with super mites is to look them straight in the eye, face-to-cephalothorax, and then say to please leave, you are a nuisance to my plant. Repeat the process for each mite, until the problem is solved.

No but really, I recommend the neem oil. It's used as an ingredient in many recipes, so it should be safe inside the house, and it should be able to smother out the mites. If not neem oil, maybe a 10% milk/90% water spray? I remember when I was spraying that to cure black mold on my roses that it kept bugs away pretty well.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Knyteguy posted:

I planted my first flower garden yesterday and I had a couple of questions I was hoping to get help with. I planted a snap dragon plant and today it's droopy, how long should I give it to perk back up? I'm concerned that I may have over watered it or that perhaps it's not getting quite enough sun. I'm also not sure if perhaps the night was too cold for this plant. With so many factors at play, how do I go about saving my pant before it too late? And is drooping after one day of being in the ground enough of an indication of a problem?

If you've followed good transplanting procedure (loosening up the root ball a bit, watering the ground after planting, etc.), then a little bit of drooping can be expected as the plant adjusts to the new conditions. It sounds like though your snapdragon has a bit more to contend with if the weather's been pretty brutal where you live. To keep your plant from being way overexposed during it's most tender condition, I recommend placing a couple of plant pots, occupied or not, by the snapdragon to help provide a blanket for the roots as well as a barrier against the wind. Hope this helps!

In other news today, me and my plant fiend aunt went to go check out the local nurseries in the area. Even though I swore that I was trying to liquidate my plant collection since I'm living in a smaller place now, I still walked out with an abutilon and a bell pepper plant. Dang it.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 19, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Double dang it, and double post, but I come bearing content.

So in the last post I was talking about my fellow plant aficionado aunt and how the both of us went shopping yesterday for some plants. No photos yet of the abutilon and bell pepper plant that I bought, but since I was working with my collection of plants, I decided to take some pictures of them.

A closer up of the Echeveria pullidonis that's blooming. :3:

But then the inevitable happens.

:stare:

The carnage...

:pwn:

rekt.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 20, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been on a sort of Malvaceae/Mallow kick lately, and I decided to share some of the love.

pardon the crappy cellphone pic

This is my Abutilon 'Bella' plant, aka Flowering Maple for the distinctive leaves that are reminiscent of those of a true Maple. While the flowers normally hang downwards facing the ground like colorful chandeliers, today they were pretty happy with the watering that I gave them earlier.

Plants are awesome. :yum:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

unprofessional posted:

Fun fact: mallows can be growing marginally. I grow them on the edge of my pond, and they get about 6-7' feet tall with awesome leaf colors.

Look at this cool rear end Dracula plant with its awesome red flowers, and wicked leaf design. I love it. :swoon:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Happy Easter!

Usually bulb planting info is written up by bulb size and the depth to plant in the soil, kinda in the same way that seeds are. Since you're just barely starting the bulbs up, it's ok to use a pot that's on the small side. They're eventually going to be potted up into bigger containers anyway. :v:

This is of course coming from someone who planted two giant cloves of elephant garlic in the plant equivalent of a Japanese capsule hotel or a college student's first apartment in New York. They'll be fine, so long as they're not drowning.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Cute but stressed mini rose

It's hard for me to say for sure if it's heat-related because I don't see enough dead leaves to make a safe judgement from (also I don't know how hot it is over there), but I do think it is probably scorching from too much sun. Maybe placing it in a spot where the sun is not too intense can help?

Ehud posted:

Holly and gardenias!

Gardenias: I think the problem maybe too much water, but the fact that it's yellowing from the tips down is interesting as well... Try watering less, aiming towards the early part of the day so that way the foliage can be dry by night time.

There's also the possibility that it can be a problem with the fertilizer. Maybe it's too strong for it?

Holly: Could be leaf miners: nasty bugs that lay eggs inside a plant's leaves, where the larva hatches and tunnels their way through. Can you post a close up of the affected leaf for ID? You can also image search as well.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 13, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been browsing around the internet a bit today, and I remembered you guys in this thread who might appreciate some of the things of the things that I've seen, so I'm sharing the love. That's right, it's time for another photo post!

One of my favorite plants that I have that I really appreciate is my Echeveria ‘Lola.’ There are lots of words that I can use to describe this wonderful plant, but the one that I think really sums up the beauty of this Echeveria is ‘lotus.’ Take an image search of this lovely plant and you’ll be able to see many examples of how orderly and elegant the short, rounded-with-a-point leaves can be.

I chose this picture of it to show off the cool thing about the coloration of this plant. Although this plant is pale to the point of being white, it’s a very tough plant that does well in the brightest of sun. You can tell that it’s happy if had a purplish/rose tint to the underside of the leaves. So pretty!

I’m having a hard telling if Sedum ‘Blue Pearl’ is an actual plant that exists, or if it’s like those “blue orchids/roses” that you can buy at the store that have been dyed blue. This thing is just too blue for me to comprehend.

Here is a pinterest I found of cool plants: I could post the every single pin I found in there, but I’ll have to settle for a few.
https://www.pinterest.com/arkanciscan/plant-succulent-bonsai-terrarium/

And lastly, an imgur album of more unique plants

http://imgur.com/gallery/KNM4u

Including one that looks amazingly like an Annoying Orange parody or like a fleshlight, but is in fact a real plant.

Please let me know if I'm breaking tables here, I'm posting from my phone.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715477

LIVE: a baby basil plant is introduced to the horde that is called GBS. :f5h::chanpop:

God speed, little basil.

Edit: what the hell happened to the weed smilie?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 23, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Please pardon the terrible cellphone picture, but this the first time growing forget-me-not, and I'm super surprised that they're blooming so soon. :swoon: Lovely little flowers to brighten up your day.

Edit: I swear to god, not everything I do is plant-related (sometimes I like to play PC MMOs), but I happened to walk into a botanical garden while they were having an orchid show. I managed to snap a picture of this little beaut.

If only I knew how to take care of orchids, because they look pretty awesome...

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 28, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Beautiful plant! I think it's a chrysanthemum though, since gerbera daisies are usually huge and flat-faced, preferring to have fewer blooms.

It'll perk up again after it gets settled into it's new home. Congrats on your new plant! :3:

Bonus:

More forget-me-nots. They're actually really easy to grow, and they don't mind overcrowding. I can totally recommend them if you're looking for a good plant to grow.

And I swear, there's no prettier color than the fresh green of a new bulb's leaves. These are the elephant garlic bulbs I was talking about a while ago, and now they're starting to sprout. :swoon:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 1, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Soop posted:

Just a few images from work today.

My boss demonstrates the danger of leaving plants alone in a greenhouse too long.

Well that's strange. It seems like they managed to get pot bound even outside of a pot. :crossarms:

Mr. Soop posted:

Baby Pilosocereus azureus (Blue Columnar Cactus) :3:

Ah! :swoon:

Mr. Soop posted:

Super baby Ancistrocactus scheeri (Fishhook Cactus) :kimchi:

Ah!!! :syoon:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Finding a random peony in your yard is actually pretty cool.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^^What is this madness you speak of? :catstare:

Does anyone buy plants online, and know of some good places to buy some? A while ago, somebody posted a cool link where you can buy affordable bamboo plants. I'm still kinda considering have some sweet awesome bamboo that I can use in my arts and crafts/DIY project, but I also like different sorts of plants too. Plants in general, you can say.

Mostly I'd like to buy a collection of various plant cuttings, and maybe some cool perennials. Air plants are cool too!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thank you everyone for the great recommendations! I've been shoring up the possible birthday gifts to give myself next month, and

Avocados posted:

Im hopping into the wonderful world of plants by buying some Sensitive Plant seeds. It looks like these will need constantly damp, but well draining soil. Since humidity isnt a problem but consistent sun is, I may have to get a little grow light for this feller. I don't think im missing anything important here..any common plantcare pitfalls I should be weary of? Judging by the title, im guessing the first one is "dont overwater".

Welcome! I think you'll find the world of plants to be a fun one. :)

Yeah, you got it right. So long as you don't overwater and let them get some sun, they should be easy to grow. I also think legumes like to grow in crappy, poorly fertilized soil since they fix their own nitrogen or something, but that may only play a role once they're a fair size.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kedo posted:

I think I have a problem.

Hi, welcome to the thread!

But in all honesty, the size of that plant collection is pretty impressive. The purple flowers are really nice too!

vonnegutt posted:

What's something cool that really likes wet feet?

Yeah, I was going to recommend canna as well. Maybe a basil plant too? Mine never seemed to have enough water when I had it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Avocados posted:

Discovery: real life plants aren't exactly as quick and exciting as Animal Crossing plants.

This is true.

Animal Crossing plants were kinda annoying as well. I have to be careful about making sure not to walk on top of them or else they'll die? Screw that, Nintendo, I just want to go frolic amongst the pansies!

Yeah but srsly, sometimes I just buy an adult plant from the store instead of growing them from seeds. Instant gratification, yo. Germinating seeds can take a while, and even then a seed may decide to say 'gently caress you,' and refuse to grow (which seems like it would be loss on their part but idk :shrug:).

It might take a while, but I'm sure your seeds will come through. My forget-me-not seeds took a month to get going, but as soon as they did and were not even three inches tall, they were already in bloom. Good luck, and expect some cute plants soon!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't know the name off the top of my head, but if you google image search 'houseplants,' you'll see it on the first page.

Ghetto Wormhole has it right that it's in bad shape, but if you can provide it good drainage you might be able to save it. Either that or cut off the parts of the stem (with leaves of course), and stick it in a glass of water, and wait a week for it to grow new roots. Those two methods are counterintuitive to each other, but both works. :v:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ghetto wormhole posted:

Some kinda tree or bush. Compare the leaves to the trees nearby and I bet you'll find a match.

edit: I'm guessing mulberry.

Yeah definitely looks like mulberry. A bird poo poo in your pot and a tree grew from the poop :parrot:

Mulberries are pretty cool, so thank you kind mysterious bird poo poo. :worship:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Deverse posted:

Anyone by chance know what kind of plant this is? Received it as a funeral arrangement and have been trying to figure out what it is.

Oooh, it's pretty rare to see such classic plant symbolism here. I don't know the name off hand since I'm at work, but it is a flower that was popular with ancient Greeks as a flower of the dead. There was one of those afterlife places such as the Elysium fields that was covered in these flowers. Whoever gave you this plant knew their stuff. I'll try to look up the name later tonight on Wikipedia.

Disregard this, I suck phlox.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 5, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, on second thought, it's not asphodel. The leaves are tri-lobed instead of being like spikey straps. I know I've seen this plant before but it's on the tip of my tongue. :crossarms:

Edit: in penance, have this cool species of plant that I found while image searching.

Tachyandra

Edit edit: it's a white cleome!

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 5, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bozart posted:

So a tall tree in my yard is covered with poison ivy, extending up maybe 70 feet. Is there a way to get rid of it without having to cut the tree down? Can I just spray with some kind of herbicide a few times and wait for it to come down?

Can you snip away the poison ivy from the bottom, and apply a mild herbicide? The top part should dry out without the roots, and the bottom parts will be weaker too at that point.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The plant with the spiky pod is Datura, aka Devil's/Angel's trumpet. Poisonous as all hell, but lovely care-free flowers.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

unprofessional posted:

Kalanchoe. Pot into something that drains freely and have at least 50% inorganic media (perlite is a good, cheap choice). Give as much sun as you can.

This, but I recommend giving Florist's Kalanchoe a bit of some time in the shade. At least for me, too much sun can burn their leaves.

edit: should specify that it needs a bit of shade if it's outdoors, but if it's inside, sun sun sun. :sun:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 21, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

foxatee posted:

My daughter and I were walking around the neighborhood and came across this weird thing:

No idea what it is, but A++++, very colorful and pretty! Would eat (and probably die). Worth it.

In regards to UV coating and radiation, plants don't necessarily need light sources that provide parts of the UV spectrum (reptiles do though) since it's just as harmful to them as it is to us. They can get by with only the visible spectrum of light just fine, as long as it's marketed as a grow light.. Also, good thing you decided to ask this question now after I did my research binge and purchased an LED grow light bulb for my own little house plant too. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I recommended getting a bulb labelled as a grow light because I'm a first timer, and I wanted to make sure that the bulb would be good enough for a plant. I'm also the type of person to buy an automated aerogarden to take the guesswork out indoor growing, so take that as you will. :v:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 19, 2015